EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

24 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I think there was deficiency in the game plan.  

The thing is the Eagles really didn't try to run the ball down their throats.  The Eagles had 17 rushing attempts vs. 43 passes.  In the first 4 series of the game, the Eagles had 15 pass attempts vs. 7 rushing attempts.  4 of those attempts were Hurts.  It was terrible play calling to start the game.   We saw bad Nick Sirianni making the play calls  He did a terrible job sticking to what had worked. 

That’s because Todd Bowles was daring you to throw the ball with the defense gameplan he ran out at the start. Go back and watch the first four series of that game. How many guys consistently in the box? And how many times was Bowles daring the eagles QB to make a nfl throw to beat his defense? If you want to run into a stacked box and get 2.3 yards per carry with miles sanders go right ahead. You’re playing into the Bucs gameplan and strength. Because you were screwed if you tried to run against a stacked box (especially with opeta out there) and then you were also screwed because Jalen hurts couldn’t make the throws he needed to make to beat Todd Bowles defensive game plan

Nick Sirianni is not clear of blame. He definitely had issues. However Todd Bowles game plan was to take away the run early and force the Eagles to have to make throws if they were going to win. They couldn’t. Until you get a Quarterback that can consistently make routine NFL throws I don’t care how good your running game is or how many times you want to run it because better coaches and better caliber opponents are eventually going to catch up to you in the playoffs and make you throw the ball cause they know you can’t. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, justrelax said:

What that play showed is what happens when you have a safety who can run.

It would be nice to have one of those.

I think it was by far his worst play because the Birds would get the ball back beginning of the half. No reason to force it, especially on 2nd down.

1 hour ago, wussbasket said:

On defense you have Slay, Maddox, Williams, Hargrave, Sweat, and that's all I really see they have to build around. Offense obviously needs a better QB, but they could also use another addition to the receiving group and another RB.

Maddox really cooled off after the extension, I'll give him this, he just completed his first full season without getting hurt right?

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

When your QB can only complete 35% of his passes beyond one yard there isn't much he can do.

Yup.. there's only so many play calls that involve passing the ball behind the LOS.

1 hour ago, greend said:

So if your running qb can't hit anyone with an accurate on time throw and your running game isn't working, what would you do?

punt

5 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Maddox really cooled off after the extension, I'll give him this, he just completed his first full season without getting hurt right?

Basically a rookie

1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

A name everyone seems to be leaving out that I honestly wouldn’t mind…

Jameis Winston. I think he’s grown a lot as a QB and easily would be an upgrade over Hurts. He’s also a FA. Idk what kind of market he would have, but if we could give him a 2-3 year prove it contract I would 100%. 

Where and when has he grown?  He had 1 good game to start the season and then was the worst starter in the league after till his injury.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hurts reads the board and embraces the excuses 

🤦‍♂️. full of cringe.

6 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

They can't afford to roll the dice on another early draft picK at WR. They need a proven veteran who can come in and move the chains opposite Smith. Williams, Robinson, Godwin, Kirk, Gallup, and Chark are all interesting to varying degrees.

I would like one of Kirk or Chark.   My pipe dream is some how getting a sign and trade for Devonte Adams but I think GB does everything they can to keep him in order to keep Rodgers.

MIke Williams would be nice but Robinson and Godwin are on the older side.  Gallup....we've been burned too many times by Dallas FA.  

Plus, I think they need to spend their FA dollars on the defensive side of the ball.  Harold Landry and Jessie Bates would be a great start at transforming this defense.

So many holes. 

10 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Was Jordan Howard even active? Where was he?

Pass protection

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

Nah, he did good. I’m not sure about Sweat, he seems like just a rotation guy as opposed to a bonafide starter.

37 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Sure WR is need, but we don’t even have 2 starting safeties.

True needs are:

1- CB2

2- EDGE x2

3- LB

4- S x2

5- RG

6- QB

7- WR2

8- RB

9- TE2

10- DT

11- P

Just now, bpac55 said:

I would like one of Kirk or Chark.   My pipe dream is some how getting a sign and trade for Devonte Adams but I think GB does everything they can to keep him in order to keep Rodgers.

MIke Williams would be nice but Robinson and Godwin are on the older side.  Gallup....we've been burned too many times by Dallas FA.  

Plus, I think they need to spend their FA dollars on the defensive side of the ball.  Harold Landry and Jessie Bates would be a great start at transforming this defense.

So many holes. 

Godwin will be 26 in the offseason. Either way, we can certainly agree on one thing. They have so many holes to fill.

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

To sum up: 

1) Hurts is not good enough. He will undoubtedly get better but he will get enough better? My answer is probably not.

2) Our defense is slow and needs to get faster, particularly at LB and FS. Without that, we'll give up 30+ to every good QB we face.

3) We need another edge guy, badly.

4) Rodgers will be 39. Watson is a scumbag, and Wilson is, well, what is he at this point? None of them are worth 3 #1s, not even close.

5) Is there a QB in the draft moving up for? If so, how far up? Do we throw 3 #1s at a question mark? Answers: I don't think so. If maybe, a Lawrence Welk. No.

Going back to (1), how much better will another QB be than Hurts and how much is that worth?

Given that all questions surrounding the QB are problematical, I go for defense first. QB will have to wait.

at 31-0 in the 3rd quarter and Brady almost set to put on a baseball cap, the pass defense was embarrassing, and has been all season

Week 3 -- Dak, 21/26 for 238 yards 3 TDs

Week 4 -- Mahomes, 24/30 for 278 yards 5 TDs

Week 6 -- Brady, 34/42 for 297 yards 2 TDs

Week 7 -- Carr, 31/34 for 323 yards 2 TDs

Week 9 -- Herbert, 32/38 for 356 yards 2 TDs

Weeks 10 to 18 -- Intermission

Wildcard -- Brady, 29/37 for 271 yards 2 TDs

In those 6 games against playoff caliber QBs (Herbert didn't even make it) that's 171/207 (82.6%) for 1,763 yards and 16 TDs

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I believe he did this a few weeks ago to great success.  Made the OT look silly and it resulted in a sack.

57 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Hurts is right, his biggest problem is anticipation, which involves three things:

1) reading the defense, that takes experience

2) being on the same page with your receivers, that takes time and practice, and more reliable receivers (Watkins broke off a couple routes and Reagor . . . )

3) knowing your scheme like the back of your hand, for a young QB it helps to be in the same scheme for an extended period of time - like more than one season

In that case... you don't go with virtual OTAs, you don't punt on the PS, and you don't sit them during the final regular season game.   

Self-inflicted wounds if these are the excuses we are going with.  

5 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

He really did.  You know who really flashed in the Bengals game...Mike Hilton.  He was flying around the field from the slot.  Hoping to see Maddox play like that down the road. 

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

True needs are:

1- CB2

2- EDGE x2

3- LB

4- S x2

5- RG

6- QB

7- WR2

8- RB

9- TE2

10- DT

11- P

I saw in the Kempski article this morning that there’s a super punter in the draft… we’ve been doing a lot of that.

6 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Of the Eagles upcoming FA, what do you all want to see done?  I'm not sure any of these players are priorities to bring back.  Chachere, being an EFRA, should be brought back and was a core ST player.  Steve Nelson had a quiet but good season.  What does it take to bring him back?  Howie has proven that he has no clue how to draft CB even though there are going to be some good players available in round 1.  The rest of these players can be, and should be upgraded.  

Jordan Howard UFA

Nate Herbig RFA

Alex Singleton RFA

Greg Ward RFA

Genard Avery UFA

Hassan Ridgeway UFA

Boston Scott RFA

Jason Croom UFA

Andre Chachere ERFA

Steve Nelson UFA

Rodney McLeod UFA

Derek Barnett UFA 

Ryan Kerrigan UFA 

Anthony Harris UFA

I would offer all the RFAs and Howard. None should be real expensive.  Priority would be Herbig and Scott of those.  Croom is an UFA?  No thanks to him either way. 

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.. there's only so many play calls that involve passing the ball behind the LOS.

punt

With Sir Shanksalot?

23 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Yes, prioritizing safety in free agency is a must. I don’t see how it can be avoided.

In today's NFL if a S hits the market...they're past their prime or not good.

Archived