EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, metal said:

Man, those teams must be stupid, or Gannon isn't as bad as some in here think

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Other than Slay, who from our defense would have been starting for the Bucs yesterday?

Nobody.  

Just now, Wentz_Era said:

In today's NFL if a S hits the market...they're past their prime or not good.

New Orleans might not be able to afford Marcus Williams.

I think the Cowboys did OK picking up Kazee late this past offseason - I’m not pff or anything.

26 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

As long as Jonathan Gannon is the DC of this team DE and Secondary are by far and away the biggest needs this team has. Since he refuses to blitz and/or disguise looks, all of the pressure will fall on the front four to get pressure and the secondary to hold up when they don't.

After that you can argue a number of positions including LB, WR, OL, and RB.

How long has the blog said this "the pressure is on the front four to get pressure and the secondary to hold up”?  Since Jim Johnson?  What do the other 31 teams say? Do they have the same problem year after year?  It’s like groundhogs day. We need a playmakers at all phases. 

6 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Godwin will be 26 in the offseason. Either way, we can certainly agree on one thing. They have so many holes to fill.

I think Chark would be solid and relatively inexpensive. He’s also 6’4” to give some size on the perimeter. He’d be my priority. 

5 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I saw in the Kempski article this morning that there’s a super punter in the draft… we’ve been doing a lot of that.

Matt Araiza. Want him badly. He’s a weapon. Not quite a sUPerWeaPOn, but a weapon. 

1 minute ago, greend said:

Man, those teams must be stupid, or Gannon isn't as bad as some in here think

Are they stupid enough to be convinced that Gannon is a minority so the Eagles can get comp picks?

Just now, Outlaw said:

I think Chark would be solid and relatively inexpensive. He’s also 6’4” to give some size on the perimeter. He’d be my priority. 

Matt Araiza. Want him badly. He’s a weapon. Not quite a sUPerWeaPOn, but a weapon. 

Like x2

Just now, Alphagrand said:

Are they stupid enough to be convinced that Gannon is a minority so the Eagles can get comp picks?

Probably not

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah, I took it as an excuse.  I think he's trying to find a way to cover up for Hurts being massively exposed.

Sure, but the coach having to be a McVay in his ear is an indictment on Hurts too. 

3 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

In today's NFL if a S hits the market...they're past their prime or not good.

Unfortunately that’s the route the Eagles have seemingly wanted to go since drafting need Allen and Jarrett. This is basically who’s going to be available before franchise tag or possible re-signings 

D2E4714C-98CF-4528-9FEF-C808152CE3F1.jpeg

02B32E08-D35B-468E-B6AE-3900F8A4B966.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Not that I expect anyone to know prospect levels of a punter, but in your opinion is he Michael Dickson good?

22 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think Opeta stepping up has made Herbig expendable.  You can draft or sign his replacement as an UDFA.  Herbig coming back at a higher price tag is not ideal.

Howard has been banged up and I think you can wait until after the draft to make a decision on him.  Draft his replacement or sign Fournette.

Avery can go.

Croom hasn't seen the field in almost 2 years.  What do you see in him that makes you want him back?

Why no Steve Neslon?  He played pretty well this year.

the rest...yes f off.

You get Avery and Croom on vet/min/TC deals.  Howard I'm iffy on but no point in not bring him back to at least compete.

Nelson I'm on the fence on...his play overall was, ok.  The benchmark for play for a #2 Cb on this team is so low that I'm not sure.  If he's chasing bigger money then he got this year, bon voyage.

Guest justrelax
18 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

It would be nice to have one of those.

I think it was by far his worst play because the Birds would get the ball back beginning of the half. No reason to force it, especially on 2nd down.

Smith was wide open. Hurts was just late getting him the ball.

24 minutes ago, justrelax said:

What that play showed is what happens when you have a safety who can run.

They might already be on the roster...if someone went back and watched our NB's rookie tape.

28 minutes ago, justrelax said:

To sum up: 

1) Hurts is not good enough. He will undoubtedly get better but he will get enough better? My answer is probably not.

2) Our defense is slow and needs to get faster, particularly at LB and FS. Without that, we'll give up 30+ to every good QB we face.

3) We need another edge guy, badly.

4) Rodgers will be 39. Watson is a scumbag, and Wilson is, well, what is he at this point? None of them are worth 3 #1s, not even close.

5) Is there a QB in the draft moving up for? If so, how far up? Do we throw 3 #1s at a question mark? Answers: I don't think so. If maybe, a Lawrence Welk. No.

Going back to (1), how much better will another QB be than Hurts and how much is that worth?

Given that all questions surrounding the QB are problematical, I go for defense first. QB will have to wait.

Would really like to see a QB that can run an normal offense here.  Doesn't need to be a pro bowl guy.  Just someone that can let our receivers succeed.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Sure, but the coach having to be a McVay in his ear is an indictment on Hurts too. 

Yeah, but he's basically a rookie... so it's not his fault, and he's in the 4th system in 4 years, and 3rd team in 4 years... blah blah blah.

Long story short... he's not good enough.  He wasn't at Alabama, and they figured it out.   Maybe we'll figure it out here too.

6 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

How long has the blog said this "the pressure is on the front four to get pressure and the secondary to hold up”?  Since Jim Johnson?  What do the other 31 teams say? Do they have the same problem year after year?  It’s like groundhogs day. We need a playmakers at all phases. 

It's because the DC's they have had for the last several years were Gannon and Schwartz who are notorious for not blitzing. It's about the scheme they ran, not so much the players.

7 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

F these two POS

At the time I wrote that comment off to him being a former DAL player and wanting to do the game from that perspective, but I think it was him knowing full well what kind of game Brady vs Hurts was gonna be.

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s because Todd Bowles was daring you to throw the ball with the defense gameplan he ran out at the start. Go back and watch the first four series of that game. How many guys consistently in the box? And how many times was Bowles daring the eagles QB to make a nfl throw to beat his defense? If you want to run into a stacked box and get 2.3 yards per carry with miles sanders go right ahead. You’re playing into the Bucs gameplan and strength. Because you were screwed if you tried to run against a stacked box (especially with opeta out there) and then you were also screwed because Jalen hurts couldn’t make the throws he needed to make to beat Todd Bowles defensive game plan

Nick Sirianni is not clear of blame. He definitely had issues. However Todd Bowles game plan was to take away the run early and force the Eagles to have to make throws if they were going to win. They couldn’t. Until you get a Quarterback that can consistently make a routine NFL throws I don’t care how good your running game is or how many times you want to run it because better coaches and better caliber opponents are eventually going to catch up to you in the playoffs and make you throw the ball

In the first 4 series, they averaged 3.25 yards a carry on the runs and 2.13 on the pass attempts with 3 of the completions being for less than 5 yards.  I'm just saying the run was working better than the pass was and they should have just kept running it.  You can say they took the run away but Sirianni stopped trying to run based on the look of the defense.  He should just run with jumbo sets and 12 personnel.  I mean run with an extra o-lineman play a mismatch where you have one up front and use size to your advantage.  Instead he had no thought about just trying to out block their defense.  Don't morph to a short game passing attack that is equally ineffective. Don't run with options out of shot gun that are less effective against fast defenders and stacked boxes. Ru  If Sirianni had done this the first 3 drives, I think they get at least one first down.  

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Not that I expect anyone to know prospect levels of a punter, but in your opinion is he Michael Dickson good?

From everything I’ve read and watched, yes. 

Archived