Golf

hey suess

7 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Solheim cup is fun and several cuties

surprised it is up against the tour championship

They should really do the Solheim and Ryder at the same time, same course, since not all holes are active at the same time it would be easy to get total coverage of both events and give the women the spotlight and audience, as well as the prize money generated by the tv contract that they deserve.   

Sad reality is that very few people want to watch the women play.

Their courses are set up short and i am longer than most of them

15 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Solheim cup is fun and several cuties

surprised it is up against the tour championship

That is a bit strange.

7 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Sad reality is that very few people want to watch the women play.

Their courses are set up short and i am longer than most of them

I like watching them because I can pretty much do anything they do.  I'm slightly longer than the middle of the pack.  Maybe a club longer.  That means I can watch them and pretty much follow what they are doing.  The men are at another level.  I'd occasionally boom a 300yd drive but only during the warm summer days on a dry track and those days are in my rear view mirror in any case.  250 or 260 is more my speed these days and that's right where many of the ladies seem to be with their drives.  A 7-iron is more of a 165yd shot for me and again not too far off the ladies.

50 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

7 iron is also my 165

but the ladies avg less than us off the tee

Got it.  What do they average?  I'm sure I'm down to about 250 generally now.  That's down from say 270 just five years back.  I'm 59 now so I suppose that was always going to happen at some point.

Guessing you are using a modern set of irons.  Mine are a Srixon 785 set from four or five years back.  They are lofted in the modern pumped up fashion vs. the older sets I was using prior.  They are basically one club up from my old DCIs.

Last generation t200 so pretty modern

i dont deloft very aggressively but its part of why my ball can hold almost any green

Father time is undefeated as they say. Finally had to step down from an X flex in my driver

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DBW said:

Mediocre 85 for me today.  Missed a lot of greens and the wedge game was t great. Also lipped out several putts 

At my best an 85 felt very meh. Sounds like you’ve reached that point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

At my best an 85 felt very meh. Sounds like you’ve reached that point. 

Indeed!  Breaking 90 used to be the measure of success.  Now a low 80s round is the expectation.  I reached single digit handicap for the first tIme this year.  Still improvements to be made too! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DBW said:

Indeed!  Breaking 90 used to be the measure of success.  Now a low 80s round is the expectation.  I reached single digit handicap for the first tIme this year.  Still improvements to be made too! 

That's awesome!  Hope you can figure out how to bring it down a few more notches.

I never got beyond that point with a low of 7 for a HCP.  Thereafter, I hit a stretch where my personal life situation prevented me from playing much for about four years (severe sickness in the family) and then once that was settled I recovered for a few years and got back to a 10 and since then father time has started to take its toll and I've slowly risen up to 12-13.  I'm going to give it one more serious shot in a couple years when I retire and can start playing 4 or 5 times a week.  Think I got all of 20 rounds in this year so far and our season ends in about 6 weeks.

Had a decent round today.  Shot 86 with a birdie which these days feels like a good score to me at this point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

That's awesome!  Hope you can figure out how to bring it down a few more notches.

I never got beyond that point with a low of 7 for a HCP.  Thereafter, I hit a stretch where my personal life situation prevented me from playing much for about four years (severe sickness in the family) and then once that was settled I recovered for a few years and got back to a 10 and since then father time has started to take its toll and I've slowly risen up to 12-13.  I'm going to give it one more serious shot in a couple years when I retire and can start playing 4 or 5 times a week.

Had a decent round today.  Shot 86 with a birdie which these days feels like a good score to me at this point.

I’m fortunate to play 1-2x week and I practice as much as possible and now that my daughter is into it I have more reason to go play and I take her to the range a lot as well.  I have a good friend who’s an instructor and we go for lessons every once in a while so I’m always tweaking something to get more consistency.  She has a chance to be really good.  With any luck I’ll be carrying her bag on tour 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DBW said:

I’m fortunate to play 1-2x week and I practice as much as possible and now that my daughter is into it I have more reason to go play and I take her to the range a lot as well.  I have a good friend who’s an instructor and we go for lessons every once in a while so I’m always tweaking something to get more consistency.  She has a chance to be really good.  With any luck I’ll be carrying her bag on tour 😂 

That's very cool!  My 21yr old daughter likes to get out with me a few times a year but she never really got into it in any serious way.  We have fun out there though and we've had three generation days as well which is super fun.

• Like 1

Had an eagle today on the par-5 ninth hole.  True eagle hitting the green in two and sinking the 15ft putt.

I don't get those very often.  First one in a couple of years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Question for the group.  Does a good milestone count when you play by yourself and there’s no witnesses?  I ask because I got an Eagle a few weeks ago. Par 5. On in 2. Sunk a 6 foot putt.  Which was my first Eagle ever.  Been playing for 25 years. 

But today is the one.  If anyone knows me and my golf game you’d know what allusive milestone I have been gunning for.  And I did it today. Shot a 78. 40/38.  

The same hole I Eagle’d two weeks ago.  I hit a 340 yard drive on a 470 yard par 5.  Second half of the hole is downhill.  But closest I have ever been was 160 yards out.  I was 130 out and for on in 2. Two putt birdie.  

But I finally legit broke 80.  Finally.  It just doesn’t feel right without a witness.  

Yes it counts. I shot 76 once playing alone. 

Congrats for getting over the hump! More  breaking 80 to follow. 

• Like 1

The one advantage playing alone is the pace if you are able to get an empty course ahead of you. It really helps allow one to get in a groove and stay there. Even better with a buddy of course. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

There were times that when I played by myself I was moving too quickly and played like ish.  This time, I hit the perfect pace.  

I can see that happening though I think the biggest problem most people get into when playing single is hitting a bunch of extra shots.  If your entire purpose is to just move around the course and hit practice shots then fine.  If you want to get a score then play it like you would a normal round.  No extras, putt everything out, etc.