Golf

hey suess

*mental note* - if I ever golf with Dr. Philly, blast Metallica and drink those sweet sweet tears 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not a great golfer so for me it's more about the social part of it - getting out with the buddies for a few hours to drink some beers and make some friendly wagers

Also - Bryson DeChambeau is a total knob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Then it doesn't fit in your book.  You're curmudgeon anyway.  You act like we are carrying the speaker to the tee box or green.  Most people under 70 don't drive their carts up to the green, so putting shouldn't be an issue.    When you're putting it's background noise.  When you're on the tee box it's background noise.  When you're in the cart, it's f-ing music.  Half of the carts on my course have music now.  Maybe it's more of a thing down here.  I don't know.  If you're competing, obviously it's off.  If someone in your group is also a curmudgeon and doesn't like it,  it's off.  I sometimes don't play with it at all especially when I play by myself, because the peace is nice.    But when I do, I switch from Southern Rock, Country, 80's R&B, 90's R&B, Hair Band, 90's Alt Rock, Classical, Oldies.....you name it.  One of my favorite Pandora stations is Southern Rock BBQ.  

In short....

Lighten up Francois.  

Actually you're the one that seems to have their panties in a bunch. I'm just asking what kind of music you are playing and when.  You can do whatever you want out there as long as you aren't bothering me.  I don't give a rat's arse.

31 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

*mental note* - if I ever golf with Dr. Philly, blast Metallica and drink those sweet sweet tears 

You guys are all twisted up in a knot.  Do whatever you want.  Bunch of snowflakes.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You know, I usually don't drink golfing anymore.  Only recently (when I started listening to music) did I grab a few beers and I have been playing better.  I never wager though.  Not a huge fan of putting added pressure on myself.  

You know who I hate.  The guys who clearly are high handicappers like me, but feel the need to play from the Blues or Tips because they hit the ball far and straight once.  I hit the ball far and sometimes straight.  But I know I am not good enough to play from back there.  I'm counting the days for when I can move up to the old man tees.  

I can hit it far, but I tend to slice.  I've read countless articles on how to improve it, tried everything, but I'm convinced I just need to get some lessons from an actual pro if I wanna get better.  

1 minute ago, DrPhilly said:

You guys are all twisted up in a knot.  Do whatever you want.  Bunch of snowflakes.

Haha I'm just messing around man - I actually don't listen to music when I golf.  I do usually drink a few beers though.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nice pivot.  You had to chime in and I tried to ignore you cause you're kind of a ****.  But you make it hard some times.  

Well yeah.  All of it is true.  I am "kind of an arse", fair enough (actually just a plain old arse much of the time, hand in the air).  I also don't understand why you would want music on the course, also true.  I also am a live and let live type so it is perfectly fine for me if you want to play music out there, also true.

Carry on and hit 'em straight!

25 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I can hit it far, but I tend to slice.

I've been more of a player with a hooking issue but on occasion I've had some slicing issues with the driver.  One thing that usually corrects it for me is hitting about 10 balls on the range where I set up like a baseball player with a very closed batting stance and then try to hit the ball to left center field.  That forces a bit of exaggerated turn in the back swing, a bit of an inside out swing, and a full follow thru.

Worth a shot if your problem isn't more of a grip issue.  You could also try strengthening your grip.  Exaggerate it and hook a bunch of balls and then work your way back.  It is much easier to fix the hook than the slice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

How do you know I said arse?

But you're self aware.  I can appreciate that.  Us arse's need to stick together.  EWWW.  live and let live

Well ok, dumb F, deek, arse, tool, etc.  All good :lol:

You know, I usually don't drink golfing anymore.  Only recently (when I started listening to music) did I grab a few beers and I have been playing better.  I never wager though.  Not a huge fan of putting added pressure on myself.  

You know who I hate.  The guys who clearly are high handicappers like me, but feel the need to play from the Blues or Tips because they hit the ball far and straight once.  I hit the ball far and sometimes straight.  But I know I am not good enough to play from back there.  I'm counting the days for when I can move up to the old man tees.  

The first part of this post.  Disappointing.  I usually crack a beer by the 3rd hole at least.  I would try harder if I didn't drink, and I would automatically do worse.  But I definitely have a limit.  Once I get past 6-7 beers, I start to lose some hand-eye, then I eat a chili dog at the turn and wanna ish myself.  

The 2nd part.  Spot on.  I have played with so many Chads and Brads that wanna play from the tips.  They're everywhere....."I hit my 9 about 180."  He does it once, loses all of his drives in the woods, and he shoots over 100.  Most of them are Chapel Hill graduates and wear tiny shorts, have floppy hair, and they all have croakies and trust funds.  

• Like 2

Playing with my father-in-law tomorrow.  He's an ish talker, and he played at Michigan St. 800 years ago.  I'm not looking forward to it, and I've been avoiding it for a long time.  He didn't pick up a club for over a year, and he shot a 79 last week.  

If there's 1 sport to teach your children at a young age, it's golf.  It lasts forever.  If you can play golf, it will only catapult you in life.  Growing up as a teen in the 90s, my dad instructed me that playing golf was for total poosays.  😂   Thanks dad!  Super helpful!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Tiger playing this weekend.  

Can't wait!  This was one of the best moments in sports history, except for his tiny turtleneck-like shirt.  

Tiger Woods Teh Masters 2019 GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hputenis said:

The first part of this post.  Disappointing.  I usually crack a beer by the 3rd hole at least.  I would try harder if I didn't drink, and I would automatically do worse.  But I definitely have a limit.  Once I get past 6-7 beers, I start to lose some hand-eye, then I eat a chili dog at the turn and wanna ish myself.  

The 2nd part.  Spot on.  I have played with so many Chads and Brads that wanna play from the tips.  They're everywhere....."I hit my 9 about 180."  He does it once, loses all of his drives in the woods, and he shoots over 100.  Most of them are Chapel Hill graduates and wear tiny shorts, have floppy hair, and they all have croakies and trust funds.  

Couple beers and some weed is a nice gig when playing.  Not usually very good for the scorecard but tons of fun.

There is one thing that is good about playing from different tees both forward and back and that's learning how to manufacture a score no matter what is presented to you.  Often you'll do better laying up to 70 yards then you will trying to force your 3-iron in from 200 only to find yourself in the water.  Hitting driver and then wedge all day is nice but isn't really progressing the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Couple beers and some weed is a nice gig when playing.  Not usually very good for the scorecard but tons of fun.

There is one thing that is good about playing from different tees both forward and back and that's learning how to manufacture a score no matter what is presented to you.  Often you'll do better laying up to 70 yards then you will trying to force your 3-iron in from 200 only to find yourself in the water.  Hitting driver and then wedge all day is nice but isn't really progressing the game.

😂  Weed does not work for me on the golf course.  When I first started playing about 13-14 years ago (I'm almost 40), I smoked some sheet that I know was good (My boy that had it was a total pot head), and at the time, the only thing I did well was putt.  I couldn't focus or stand, and I 10 putted a hole and almost fell into the bunker.  Some of my best friends swear by it, and it just hits me differently.  I smoked weed before I went to the gym one time in my life, and I thought I was gonna die on my warm up set.  

I wouldn't touch a 3-iron if you paid me.  I'm all in on the hybrids for low irons now.  My lowest iron is a 6, and I have 4 and 5 hybrids that I can smoke (pun intended).  I'm obviously not at your level or @ToastJenkins.  I just started getting back into it this year, and my swing feels decent.  I'm a consistent high 80s shooter now, and I have no clue what I'm doing.  I'm definitely gonna commit to some lessons.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

😂  Weed does not work for me on the golf course.  When I first started playing about 13-14 years ago (I'm almost 40), I smoked some sheet that I know was good (My boy that had it was a total pot head), and at the time, the only thing I did well was putt.  I couldn't focus or stand, and I 10 putted a hole and almost fell into the bunker.  Some of my best friends swear by it, and it just hits me differently.  I smoked weed before I went to the gym one time in my life, and I thought I was gonna die on my warm up set.  

I wouldn't touch a 3-iron if you paid me.  I'm all in on the hybrids for low irons now.  My lowest iron is a 6, and I have 4 and 5 hybrids that I can smoke (pun intended).  I'm obviously not at your level or @ToastJenkins.  I just started getting back into it this year, and my swing feels decent.  I'm a consistent high 80s shooter now, and I have no clue what I'm doing.  I'm definitely gonna commit to some lessons.  

If I smoke I'm gold for about 2-3 holes and then thereafter I am just as likely to take a huge divot a foot behind the ball as I am to strike it cleanly.  Tons of fun though.

Toast is way out of my league.  He's a true player.  I'm just a sports hack who took up the game when I couldn't play other sports any longer.  I was down to an 8 about 5 years ago but now I'm 50/50 in breaking 90 and you're probably better than I am.  I can still run down into the low 80s on my best days but if I'm playing like sheet I'm going to end up shooting 93.  My good shots are unchanged but I hit far too many really bad shots into the water or woods and I can't putt like I used to.  I'm 58 now though so I guess it comes with the territory at least in part.  I've never been very good technically and my ability to just use good hand/eye coordination is eroding slowly.  Honestly it doesn't matter.  It is all good.

I've tried the hybrids but just can't make it happen.  For most people though they seem to really help.

• Like 1

The field this weekend at the Memorial is as good as it gets.  Are any of the big dogs not in this tournament?  

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Playing with my father-in-law tomorrow.  He's an ish talker, and he played at Michigan St. 800 years ago.  I'm not looking forward to it, and I've been avoiding it for a long time.  He didn't pick up a club for over a year, and he shot a 79 last week.  

If there's 1 sport to teach your children at a young age, it's golf.  It lasts forever.  If you can play golf, it will only catapult you in life.  Growing up as a teen in the 90s, my dad instructed me that playing golf was for total poosays.  😂   Thanks dad!  Super helpful!  

I am at a pga jr league match as we speak for my 11yo

• Like 1

The Chads and Brads here are more the NCSTATE variety.  Similar species.  Just less money and more of them.  

They at least have a fun tailgate for football games.  Rednecks that pound beer, follow their team blindly, and a great tailgate experience.  My worst memory of college football was pulling up to Franklin St. to see all the frats and houses hosting cocktail and wine parties.  Girls in sun dresses.  Guys in croakies.  Nowhere to tailgate at all.  

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

They at least have a fun tailgate for football games.  Rednecks that pound beer, follow their team blindly, and a great tailgate experience.  My worst memory of college football was pulling up to Franklin St. to see all the frats and houses hosting cocktail and wine parties.  Girls in sun dresses.  Guys in croakies.  Nowhere to tailgate at all.  

Yeah. My daughter and I were there last fall for homecoming against Duke. It was a great college atmosphere but the only tailgating was a mile away at the remote lots. Still loved it. 

My brother went to State and I’ve been tailgating there which was great. Many years back mind you  

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

Bryson DeChambeau earlier today

+1 today....5 back of the lead

3 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

+1 today....5 back of the lead

Yeah, but what a drive!

2 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Yeah, but what a drive!

Agreed - I don't know how he hits it straight the way he swings

DeChambeau went full Roy McAvoy today. Steroids making it tough to control that temper?

• Like 2

Shot 80 and qualified for club championship

eight man bracket starts match play fri

• Like 3

CBS is really, REALLY missing Gary McCord. The combination of Dottie and Nobilo are abysmal.

• Like 1