Golf

hey suess

It's crazy how moving back the tee boxes have destroyed most scores on the course this week at the Memorial.  I do love when these guys struggle though.  I heard it was the first time the cut was above par in a long time.  

I shot an 88 yesterday at Stonebridge Golf Club in Monroe, NC.  One of the nicest public courses I've ever played.  It was 95 degrees outside at one point with 60% humidity, and my buddy lost his grip on the tee box of a par 3.  Tossed his club about 50 yards left into the woods, and we couldn't find it.  😂

1 minute ago, SBorBust said:

CBS is really, REALLY missing Gary McCord. The combination of Dottie and Nobilo are abysmal.

I LOL'd when Jim Nance mentioned Bones "making a retirement comeback."  😂 

Wow!  How courageous!  Maybe they'll make a motivational movie about it someday.  What an inspiration and story to make a big comeback carrying someone else's golf bag!  

27 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I LOL'd when Jim Nance mentioned Bones "making a retirement comeback."  😂 

Wow!  How courageous!  Maybe they'll make a motivational movie about it someday.  What an inspiration and story to make a big comeback carrying someone else's golf bag!  

I did hear that. Nance being Nance.

I like Faldo a lot, but he’s obviously very dry. They need someone more goofy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

It's crazy how moving back the tee boxes have destroyed most scores on the course this week at the Memorial.  I do love when these guys struggle though.  I heard it was the first time the cut was above par in a long time.  

I shot an 88 yesterday at Stonebridge Golf Club in Monroe, NC.  One of the nicest public courses I've ever played.  It was 95 degrees outside at one point with 60% humidity, and my buddy lost his grip on the tee box of a par 3.  Tossed his club about 50 yards left into the woods, and we couldn't find it.  😂

Ever play Bryan Park in Greensboro?

37 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Ever play Bryan Park in Greensboro?

No I haven't.  Unfortunately I don't think I've ever played a course in the Triad area.  

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Heat index the last two days were 110 range.  Terrible round yesterday for me.  Today was better.  But still too many blow up holes.   But who knows.   

Oh and see how much of a doooosh Dechamblow is.  

He definitely is a total D-bag.  I'll never argue that.  If he consistently starts winning big tournaments at all, he's must watch TV.  If he goes all Roy McAvoy and bombs 2 OB shots in a row and shoots a 10........he's still must watch TV.   When he loses his temper and speaks down to people, I laugh at him but I still wanna watch.  

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I downloaded the GHIN app and now have an official handicap.  I loaded in my past 20 rounds.  Thinking a handicap was the average of my last 20 rounds.  It's not.  It's the average of the best 8 scores in those 20 rounds.  That doesn't make sense to me.  Not that I'm complaining.  Here I thought my handicap was around 16 and according to the APP it's 11.8.

Still doesn't make sense.  

That's just the way it works.  Always been something like that for official club handicaps. I think back in the day it was the top 10 of the last 20 rounds and then the slope of the course is also factored in.

11.8 is pretty nice!  One run of good play and you'll be a single handicapper.

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I made a mistake on a round I shot back in early June.  It was a debacle, shot a 96.  I accidentally put in a 86.  Told my buddy, who told me to do this app, and said you can't correct it.  It wouldn't hurt anyway since it takes my 8 best rounds.  Still doesn't make sense to me.  Never knew that's how it works.  I was a better golfer than I gave myself credit for.  Now the goal is to break 80.  

Yes, sounds like you are just about to go under 80 and once you do you’ll do it again. 

• Like 1

Came back from 2 down with three to go and win first round of match play. On to the final four

next up is the 17 time club champ...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Lost 2&1 he then lost in finals

Did you play against my FIL?  He shot -2 on 9 holes Thursday night from the tips and the arsewipe has played once in the last 2 years.  He played his entire childhood in Michigan and walked on at Michigan St. when golf wasn't cool, so I respect him for it.  People on the golf team in my high school were made fun of daily.  Then Tiger happened.   

Also played 9 today and shot a 40.  Super easy course though. 

6 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Lost 2&1 he then lost in finals

Dammit GIF by memecandy - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

Ive made the final four 5 times in eight years and two of those years i had to miss with injuries. Tore a trap one year, partial rotator cuff the other time

one year i just forgot how to play apparently

2 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Ive made the final four 5 times in eight years and two of those years i had to miss with injuries. Tore a trap one year, partial rotator cuff the other time

one year i just forgot how to play apparently

That sounds awful.  

uh yeah it took me a year to get all my grip strength back - hurt like hell for months. never went back to doing shrugs...sucks getting old

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No wonder the rest of your doesn’t like this weirdo.  Dude.  Hit the f-ing ball.  

Dude is annoying to watch

Shot a 44 on 9 holes the other night after work. I was draining damn near every putt inside of 15 feet, but started off with a couple of double bogeys (lost one in the drink, and another one OB which adds up quickly). Overall I was happy with the round though. I'm never going to be in the 70's or even low 80's, but I've had a pretty noticeable improvement over the last couple of years. I used to be a high 90's/low 100's golfer but I've got that down to around 86-89 range pretty consistently and I'm happy with it. I still have a few things to refine, but I think I can get it down into that 83-85 range with a bit more discipline.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, hputenis said:

I was spraying everything right, and he immediately had me strengthen my grip in both hands, and move a little further from the ball. 

All the little nuances of golf are pretty amazing. I actually started hitting my irons better when I started standing closer to the ball. I'm tall so my natural stance was to stand pretty far away from the ball. I found I was extremely inconsistent with how I was coming around on the ball and would spray my irons all over the damn place. As soon as I tightened up my stance and started standing about 4 or 5 inches closer to the ball, I noticed an improvement almost instantly.

I made some adjustments to my drives as well. I hit long off of the tee, but I would mostly step up just trying to murder the ball. I started toning down my swing and have had much better results keeping the ball on my own fairway without sacrificing a ton of yardage. It wasn't uncommon to be playing a fairway or two over prior to that adjustment. :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pretty close to wear I’m at.  My next hurdle is to stay in the mid 80’s and also break 80 at one point.  

My problem now is that I'll still come unglued for a couple of holes. I'll start off par, par, bogey, par and then all of a sudden I'll have a double/triple bogey combo that skyrockets the scorecard. I  just can't seem to avoid it. The good news is that it used to happen several times in a round, so at least it's improving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

All the little nuances of golf are pretty amazing. I actually started hitting my irons better when I started standing closer to the ball. I'm tall so my natural stance was to stand pretty far away from the ball. I found I was extremely inconsistent with how I was coming around on the ball and would spray my irons all over the damn place. As soon as I tightened up my stance and started standing about 4 or 5 inches closer to the ball, I noticed an improvement almost instantly.

I made some adjustments to my drives as well. I hit long off of the tee, but I would mostly step up just trying to murder the ball. I started toning down my swing and have had much better results keeping the ball on my own fairway without sacrificing a ton of yardage. It wasn't uncommon to be playing a fairway or two over prior to that adjustment. :ph34r:

I agree - it's unreal how the tiniest detail can destroy or make a round.  It's probably why I think about 25 different things every time I line up over the ball.  The golf pro showed me a replay of my swing on video, and I was stupidly close to the ball, and I didn't even realize it.  

I'm watching the St. Jude's right now, and I think I hate Jon Rahm a lot.  His pants are tighter than Jake Arrieta's, and he's a pudgy bastid.  I'm not trying to see that on high def.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Blow up holes.  Minimize the damage.  My head game is the worst.  Man I hit some great shots.  Like high quality stuff.  But I’m so inconsistent and I freak out mentally.   I also have a bad habit of when I feel really good over the ball, I lift my head.   

Sounds like the same issues I have.

The other night for example, I had a great drive on hole 1. Center fairway, about 290 yards which left me around 80 yards from the pin. I'm feeling great about my situation already.... setup for shot #2 and totally chunked it into a creek that runs in front of the green. Ended up with a double bogey to start. It's amazing how quickly the wind can come out of the sails. :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pretty close to wear I’m at.  My next hurdle is to stay in the mid 80’s and also break 80 at one point.  

Have you had any near misses yet? I think I had maybe 6 or 7 close calls where I wilted over the last 2 or 3 holes before I finally broke thru the 80 barrier. 

15 hours ago, hputenis said:

I agree - it's unreal how the tiniest detail can destroy or make a round.  It's probably why I think about 25 different things every time I line up over the ball.  The golf pro showed me a replay of my swing on video, and I was stupidly close to the ball, and I didn't even realize it.  

I'm watching the St. Jude's right now, and I think I hate Jon Rahm a lot.  His pants are tighter than Jake Arrieta's, and he's a pudgy bastid.  I'm not trying to see that on high def.  

Best thing you can do is have one single thought. The best one is just the spot you want to hit the ball. If you must have a swing thought then just make it one, e.g. exaggerate the follow through OR slow take away OR loose grip OR whatever you need  

Once a year or so I order balls with the text "take dead aim” printed on the ball. My absolute best golf without question is when I am able to have that be my single thought. Of course that is hard to make happen. 

Think i am going to buy one of the small trackman devices to use at the range.

my irons were coming in too shallow