Golf

hey suess

I shot an 88 yesterday at a course in Statesville, NC.  Drove the ball brilliantly, and my short chip game was on fire.  I chipped 2 in from off the green.  My approach shots sucked.  If I drive the ball well, I crap the bed on my approach and scramble for a par or a bogey.  If I drive like crap, I crush my approach shots.  I hate golf.  But I love it.  

**There was a guy in the group in front of us that wore a wife beater tucked into jean shorts for his golf attire.  Statesville is as redneck as it gets.  

• Like 3

I carded a personal best 79 last week.  Playing some seriously good golf lately.  

it gonna hurt when It comes crashing down 😆 

• Like 4

Shot 83 tonight.  Figured something fundamental out (typical stupid sheet I seem to fall into once every couple of years and can't seem to figure out) and finally starting hitting some crisp irons.  Quite a difference and good to get out of the 89-93 range for a change.  I've been in a rut for a couple of months.  Need a couple more rounds to be sure but feels more like a real fix rather than a one off outing.  I simply haven't been hitting anything crisp now for six weeks.

• Like 2

Picked up some ball speed from recent work. Need to engrain the stance and grip changes

Delaying release of the hands has the irons coming in at thr right AoA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Picked up some ball speed from recent work. Need to engrain the stance and grip changes

Delaying release of the hands has the irons coming in at thr right AoA

How did you manage to increase ball speed? What change did you make?

i have a bad habit of firing my hands early. this also contributes to my miss being a pull, but it spends/wastes some acceleration to soon

Robert Rock is one who my teacher tries to have me emulate - his hips are already open but his hands havent released even when the shaft is parallel to the ground on the downswing,

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CKWVqvkF&rs=AOn4CLBzguhSCY3e4VyIPmLY4mAs3cAKag

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

i have a bad habit of firing my hands early. this also contributes to my miss being a pull, but it spends/wastes some acceleration to soon

Robert Rock is one who my teacher tries to have me emulate - his hips are already open but his hands havent released even when the shaft is parallel to the ground on the downswing,

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CKWVqvkF&rs=AOn4CLBzguhSCY3e4VyIPmLY4mAs3cAKag

I haven't been told, but I know this is something that I know I do before opening my hips.  From baseball habits, I try to make up for it with wrist action, resulting in such a decrease in power.  I can't click on that video either.  Not sure if it's just me.  

Looks like a very nice consistent fairly compact swing and one that should be reasonably easy to repeat.  Not a ton of variables.

That makes for consistency and smaller misses

Ive tried copying the wrist action of DJ/Koepka but i just cant do it. Rory is the swing i look to as the ideal

• Like 2

The way I look at it is that watching swing vids can really help but remember that there isn't just one way to do anything in golf.  Experiment a bit to find what works for you and then go with that.  Make further change as necessary.

The one area I won't watch vids is for putting.  My putting is strong (relative to my overall game anyway) and I don't want any other ideas floating around in my head.  I know some people love to just constantly tinker with their putters and putting stroke but what has worked best for me is to always find my way back to the stroke and putter I've always used.  I use the right index finger down the shaft grip which I learned from a Nancy Lopez book years ago and at least for me there is no reason to change.  I have a soon to be 25yr old Odyssey standard type (think poor man's Scotty C) putter.  When things are going bad I'll sometimes grab an old blade that I use for a few weeks before switching back.  That blade is now 50yrs old and while hard to putt with it gives excellent feedback and really helps me quite my hands down on the stroke.  I've of course used more modern type putters on occasion and they are fine but the bottom line is that you can putt with anything, just use what works for you.

Morikawa’s tee shot on 16 has to be one of the greatest shots in major tournament history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

Morikawa’s tee shot on 16 has to be one of the greatest shots in major tournament history.

That kid is an absolute killer. He's the best ball-striker on tour right now. He was dominant today. 

5 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Yes, it was an awesome shot.

23 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

he deserved to win it. the chip in followed by the drive on 16 was supreme talent

So much young talent... exciting to see hope to watch him and others for years to come

The wife and I went out earlier this week and did a 2 person scramble. On the way to the course we both agreed that our goal was to shoot in the 70's. We shot an 80 :censored:. 40 on the front and 40 on the back. At least we're consistent?

• Like 1

Nice round!

Starting to get my daughter into it.  We are going out to play 9 later today.  She's 20 now so renewing the earlier investment.  She seems more interested now than she was 5 years ago.  Had a real birdie last time out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Nice round!

Starting to get my daughter into it.  We are going out to play 9 later today.  She's 20 now so renewing the earlier investment.  She seems more interested now than she was 5 years ago.  Had a real birdie last time out.

Nice!  I have an 11 year old that loves to go practice and play.  I don’t push it but I give her the opportunity to learn and appreciate the game.  

• Like 1

Two over on the 9.  Daughter didn't play well but the ups and downs are all part of it.  I think she enjoyed herself anyway, hit some goods shots, etc.  Nice evening in a nice chunk of nature.  All good.

• Like 4

Kiddo played in jr league sectionals this weekend. Couple shots she would like back but she and her 11yo teammate beat their 13 yo male opponents on most holes

• Like 1

In the latest example of "why i hate everyone” i had to bust the opposing teams parents short counting strokes THREE times...

bunch of yocals

their entire team and coach all had terrible etiquette

• Sad 1