Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

hulu seems decent so far. a little slower than yttv...everything takes a second or two to load.  but very comparable so far.  

and i'll get my sixahs!!! :76:

• Like 1

what a complete failure. I've gone through three vpn services

1. NORDVPN
  2. WINDSRIPE (only one with philly servers)
  3. SUFSHARK

and three local channel streamers

1. FUBO
  2. YOUTUBETV
  3. HULU+

and  not once could I connect to live channels in any area other than San Antonio. Windscrip + Youtube TV came close when it displayed philly channels but when a live philly channel was selected, youtube tv kept asking for me to change my home location (even though vpn was on and showed philly server). This was all tested on phone and tablet (android). Odd thing is, when I ran surfshark and selected Kansas City server, the phone's location (when checked online) showed my server/phone was in KC. Currently out $285 (unless all the charges drop due to canceling subscriptions, not likely as surfshark already states they charged my account when i talked to CS) and ideas.

What I would do:

1. Sign up and download app for vpn
  2. sign out of local channel streamer
  3. delete cookies on browser (just in case)
  4. reboot device
  5. make sure still signed out of local channel streamer
  6. turn on vpn
  7. select city
  8. turn on local channel streaming app
  9. sign in to local channel streaming app
  10. go to live tv & check guide (each time local channels where SA, TX)

14 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

1. NORDVPN
  2. WINDSRIPE (only one with philly servers)
  3. SUFSHARK

and three local channel streamers

1. FUBO
  2. YOUTUBETV
  3. HULU+

and  not once could I connect to live channels in any area other than San Antonio. Windscrip + Youtube TV came close when it displayed philly channels but when a live philly channel was selected, youtube tv kept asking for me to change my home location (even though vpn was on and showed philly server). This was all tested on phone and tablet (android). Odd thing is, when I ran surfshark and selected Kansas City server, the phone's location (when checked online) showed my server/phone was in KC. Currently out $285 (unless all the charges drop due to canceling subscriptions, not likely as surfshark already states they charged my account when i talked to CS) and ideas.

What I would do:

1. Sign up and download app for vpn
  2. sign out of local channel streamer
  3. delete cookies on browser (just in case)
  4. reboot device
  5. make sure still signed out of local channel streamer
  6. turn on vpn
  7. select city
  8. turn on local channel streaming app
  9. sign in to local channel streaming app
  10. go to live tv & check guide (each time local channels where SA, TX)

Makes sense though. When I travel, I can still watch my local philly channels on YouTubetv. They might try to match your home address with your longest location

14 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

HotSpot Shield also has a Philly server, but it's banned on Fubo. I can connect with it and see the channels, but none of them will play. It may work on other streaming services, though. 

https://www.hotspotshield.com/

17 hours ago, BFit said:

Deal reached, yttv will keep NBC and the same price. 

Youtube TV heavy failed me yet. No lost channels. No price hikes. Saving money every month over cable. 

Best streaming service there is. 

Finally got it to work on phone (had to turn on mock gps) but cannot Chromecast (yet)

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG!!!! Now Comcast has screwed up my email account. Apparently they sent me an email telling me to change my password but it never arrived in my Mail app. After three days with no incoming emails or being able to send any, I went to their online email system and found them there - but there was no trace of some important emails I had sent that seemed to go through. And even after changing my password online and in my Mail app, I still can only get my mail online through their clunky system.

I'm definitely dumping xfinity. Fios cannot be worse. Still researching but I'll probably go with youtube for streaming TV.

So I think I'm ready to cancel Dish network and sign up for either Hulu or YoutubeTV - seems like reading through this more people prefer Youtube over Hulu?

26 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

So I think I'm ready to cancel Dish network and sign up for either Hulu or YoutubeTV - seems like reading through this more people prefer Youtube over Hulu?

I didnt even know Dish Network still existed....

I switched to youtube tv from basic cable maybe 6 months ago and it has been amazing.   

1 minute ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I switched to youtube tv from basic cable maybe 6 months ago and it has been amazing.   

Yeah I've always liked the convenience of Dish and having all those channels - plus their Hopper is amazing.  But we hardly use it anymore for actual live TV - it was pretty much only sports.  And they are currently in a contract dispute with the local Fox affiliate so I can't even watch Eagles games and other sporting events - so F em

4 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

If there are specific channels you feel are must haves, you always need to check to be sure the service you are considering offers each of those channels.  The best service is a very individual thing that depends on what you watch. Some services look great but dont offer MTV which was a deal breaker for my wife. Other services have only offered 3 out of the 4 local networks in our area. For my parents some didnt offer Fox News, or the AXIS(?) channel that shows concerts. So those things can drive your decision one way or the other rather than just looking at price or other factors.

In general though youtube is better than hulu based on slightly more channels, a better DVR system which is unlimited vs 50 hours you get on hulu, and more simultaneous streams. 3 on youtuve vs 2 on Hulu. Youtube also offers the red zone channel as part of a sports package. I dont believe Hulu offers red zone at all. 

5 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

:lol:

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

We were in the same situation with DirecTV.  I'm in Tennessee so I didn't get Philly sports anyway.  We had the full DirecTV package but never watched anything, and pretty much all network and even most cable TV shows are garbage.  We were watching streaming services, and I checked on any shows we did like and most were available on Hulu the day after they aired.  It wasn't worth it for us anymore.  

@NOTW I decided I don't want Xfinity anymore and I'm taking my sheet to their store tomorrow!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

@NOTW I decided I don't want Xfinity anymore and I'm taking my sheet to their store tomorrow!

Welcome to the modern age.  

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Lmao I was the a year and a half ago... I had no other choice for an internet provider so it made sense to add the tv to it. There are new providers available now

Anyone have a clue on how difficult it's going to be to make sure they cancel?? I've heard the horror stories but, I've also read some that said it was easy and no issue

On 10/20/2021 at 1:40 PM, HazletonEagle said:

If there are specific channels you feel are must haves, you always need to check to be sure the service you are considering offers each of those channels.  The best service is a very individual thing that depends on what you watch. Some services look great but dont offer MTV which was a deal breaker for my wife. Other services have only offered 3 out of the 4 local networks in our area. For my parents some didnt offer Fox News, or the AXIS(?) channel that shows concerts. So those things can drive your decision one way or the other rather than just looking at price or other factors.

In general though youtube is better than hulu based on slightly more channels, a better DVR system which is unlimited vs 50 hours you get on hulu, and more simultaneous streams. 3 on youtuve vs 2 on Hulu. Youtube also offers the red zone channel as part of a sports package. I dont believe Hulu offers red zone at all. 

I just added RedZone to YouTubetv. Wasn't crazy about the other channels that come with it and figured I'd cancel it after the birds last 4pm game but I've been watching this VSIN channel it came with religiously since I got it. It's all sports betting talk. Kind of like a bunch of live podcasts back to back, and everything is trying to find bets for the day/week. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BFit said:

I just added RedZone to YouTubetv. Wasn't crazy about the other channels that come with it and figured I'd cancel it after the birds last 4pm game but I've been watching this VSIN channel it came with religiously since I got it. It's all sports betting talk. Kind of like a bunch of live podcasts back to back, and everything is trying to find bets for the day/week. 

Sounds interesting. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Welp just signed up for the new internet 50 bucks a month plus 10 bucks a month off of YouTube tv. 

Saw this pop up as one of the articles when I opened Google on my phone today. It's about USB TV tuners so I thought about you cord cutting gentlemen here. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/i-just-discovered-a-new-way-to-cut-the-cord-and-theres-no-subscription-fee

Looking around, the AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q USB TV Tuner and the Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD Dual USB 2.0 HD TV Tuner are well-rated on Amazon and cost around $60, while the AllAboutAdapters Digital TV Tuner seems like a decent budget choice.