Netflix Instant Recommendations

Captain F

On 4/2/2024 at 10:43 AM, dawkins4prez said:

Very fun show

It was some of Ritchie’s better work. Even though it’s not related, I may have to try to find the movie to watch. It did kind of slip into Ritchie’s habit of getting too cute when trying to tie everything up but not as bad as some of his other stuff, and it’s set up nicely for future seasons so that’s good.

On 2/16/2024 at 1:14 AM, NOTW said:

Anyone watch Bodies? Mystery show about London detectives in different timelines investigating the same dead body. 

It was something different and creative. After a while I got more invested in certain characters and how the story unfolded. Hard to say much without spoilers but it's worth watching. An 8 episode limited series. 

That show was good, I was surprised it hasn't been talked about a bit more. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:38 PM, The_Omega said:

It was some of Ritchie’s better work. Even though it’s not related, I may have to try to find the movie to watch. It did kind of slip into Ritchie’s habit of getting too cute when trying to tie everything up but not as bad as some of his other stuff, and it’s set up nicely for future seasons so that’s good.

i keep forgetting about this show. i watched the first 2 episodes but then got sucked into other shows. 

the movie is great though. its one of those movies ill put on in the background if i dont have anything new to watch. 

Started watching "3 Body Problem", really good so far. 

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

Started watching "3 Body Problem", really good so far. 

thats one of the shows i got sucked into. i liked it. its weird, thats for shure. 

@HazletonEagle Well I finished Warrior last night.  While I wouldn't say it's the greatest show ever made, it was very good.  Fight scenes were awesome, and the storylines were compelling as well.  I absolutely hate Mai Ling.  I definitely hope it gets picked up for another season.

Spoiler

I'm guessing if it does, in season 4 Mai Ling and Ah Sahm are now leading the Long Zii, and Li Yong is now leading a new Tong with the defectors from the Long Zii?  Or do Ah Sahm and Mai Ling take over the Hop Wei since Ah Sahm beat Young Jun's ass in the finale?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

@HazletonEagle Well I finished Warrior last night.  While I wouldn't say it's the greatest show ever made, it was very good.  Fight scenes were awesome, and the storylines were compelling as well.  I absolutely hate Mai Ling.  I definitely hope it gets picked up for another season.

Hide contents

I'm guessing if it does, in season 4 Mai Ling and Ah Sahm are now leading the Long Zii, and Li Yong is now leading a new Tong with the defectors from the Long Zii?  Or do Ah Sahm and Mai Ling take over the Hop Wei since Ah Sahm beat Young Jun's ass in the finale?

I think the show ending earlier than it should have is one massive barrier to calling it one of the best ever on Netflix. But damn when you are in the middle of those episodes, its way up there. While it currently doesnt have the ending it deserves, and we deserve- its definitely still worth a watch. And hope Netflix continues it.

Spoiler

Ill be sad to see Chao gone if a new season happens. He was an integral part of everything that went on in Chinatown. Its almost as if he controlled everything. No one will be able to operate the same without the knowledge that he provided and the strings he secretly pulled.

My one big issue with the show is that they completely dropped the storyline of the Mayors wife and her sister. She got sent off and neither she nor her sister were ever heard from again. I understand if the Mayors wife will be stuck in there for eternity, but I expected to see her sister trying to find her, get her out... Ah Sahm to somehow get word of her fate and do something about it.... There was just nothing. I think missed opportunity there.

Theres another story arc that was really just beginning, and that was the lady with Buckley, who is apparently married. And who was that guy, and what is the master plan there? That one had a long way to go yet. But the show just ended.

It almost seems as if there will still be 3 tongs. The bad guy who came back and killed Chao will have his own. Li Young looks like he will have his own because I dont think he will join the bad guy. And Ah Sahm and Mai Ling will be teamed up.

I almost wonder if Li Young stays out of it and becomes the new Chao. 

I suspect itll be more of the same with Ah Sahm, always manipulating his way towards the top because you just cant trust Mai Ling. I always had the sense that Ah Sahm was the next Walter White and was eventually going to take over all of Chinatown by himself.

If they do bring it back I hope they find a way to keep Young Jun in charge of the Hop Wei.  I like his character. 

• Like 1

sort of struggling through The Gentlemen. Episodes 1 and 2 were quite good. Now, I cant tell if its a show that purposely just doesnt take itself very seriously, or if they tried and just sucked at it.

In another universe this is another Breaking bad, or Ozark, or Bloodline where this guy inherits the estate and all the troubles associated with it. And things snowball, and coverups pile up, etc. You know how those shows go.

But its a little too goofy with a new drug dealer popping up every week. And somehow Miss Glass, the kindest most peaceful drug loard there ever was always finesses her way through the situations. Not wanting to kill, but people always ending up dead anyway. Its just weird and a little too unrealistic. And theres not been any real suspense building. The intensity is not picking up. Its almost a weekly cookie cutter rinse wash repeat style show like The Blacklist. 

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think the show ending earlier than it should have is one massive barrier to calling it one of the best ever on Netflix. But damn when you are in the middle of those episodes, its way up there. While it currently doesnt have the ending it deserves, and we deserve- its definitely still worth a watch. And hope Netflix continues it.

Reveal hidden contents

Ill be sad to see Chao gone if a new season happens. He was an integral part of everything that went on in Chinatown. Its almost as if he controlled everything. No one will be able to operate the same without the knowledge that he provided and the strings he secretly pulled.

My one big issue with the show is that they completely dropped the storyline of the Mayors wife and her sister. She got sent off and neither she nor her sister were ever heard from again. I understand if the Mayors wife will be stuck in there for eternity, but I expected to see her sister trying to find her, get her out... Ah Sahm to somehow get word of her fate and do something about it.... There was just nothing. I think missed opportunity there.

Theres another story arc that was really just beginning, and that was the lady with Buckley, who is apparently married. And who was that guy, and what is the master plan there? That one had a long way to go yet. But the show just ended.

It almost seems as if there will still be 3 tongs. The bad guy who came back and killed Chao will have his own. Li Young looks like he will have his own because I dont think he will join the bad guy. And Ah Sahm and Mai Ling will be teamed up.

I almost wonder if Li Young stays out of it and becomes the new Chao. 

I suspect itll be more of the same with Ah Sahm, always manipulating his way towards the top because you just cant trust Mai Ling. I always had the sense that Ah Sahm was the next Walter White and was eventually going to take over all of Chinatown by himself.

Spoiler

The dude with Buckley's fiancee was Buckley's campaign manager/right hand man.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:
  Hide contents

The dude with Buckley's fiancee was Buckley's campaign manager/right hand man.  

interesting. didnt catch that.

Still, long way for that storyline to unfold yet. Need more.

• Like 1

Warrior was really good, I actually loved The Gentlemen, thought it was really well written!  Highly recommend both!

6 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Warrior was really good, I actually loved The Gentlemen, thought it was really well written!  Highly recommend both!

Episodes 6 and 7 of the gentlemen have gotten much more interesting.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good. 

The in between was dumb. 

6 and 7 and I assume the finale will be along the lines of what it should have been all along. 

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Episodes 6 and 7 of the gentlemen have gotten much more interesting.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good. 

The in between was dumb. 

6 and 7 and I assume the finale will be along the lines of what it should have been all along. 

I felt the same way. I stuck with it and it got better. It's not great, it's all the typical Guy Ritchie stuff. Some elements from prior movies copy/paste as well.

I almost gave up when:

Spoiler

The stupid stoner loser believed the woman liked him, didn't realize she set him up and robbed him and continued to talk to her, even bringing her into the facility. His character sucked. And for an otherwise supposedly well-run organization to trust him was not believable. But they were going for comedy I guess.

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I felt the same way. I stuck with it and it got better. It's not great, it's all the typical Guy Ritchie stuff. Some elements from prior movies copy/paste as well.

I almost gave up when:

Hide contents

The stupid stoner loser believed the woman liked him, didn't realize she set him up and robbed him and continued to talk to her, even bringing her into the facility. His character sucked. And for an otherwise supposedly well-run organization to trust him was not believable. But they were going for comedy I guess.

Yes. I suppose it purposely is meant not to take itself too seriously. If it wanted to, it probably could have been more serious and been on bar with something like Bloodline or even Ozark. But I guess its not meant to be?

Its something thats more "fun", than really really good, exciting, intense, suspensful, or whatever. 

Finished The Gentlemen.  I think it was just ok overall.

Ripley is an brilliant spectacle of lighting, framing, acting and dialogue. I could see it winning a ton of awards.

3 Body Problem - I really liked this, and it has potential to be so much more, too.  Some of it was fantastical, like the Judgement Day scene which was an extremely effective slow-motion horror scene, but did it really make sense.  Was that really the most effective way to complete that mission?  Still, I'd love to see it continue on but, at $20 million per episode it remains to be seen if it will.  Which raises another question.  When Netflix greenlit this, they knew the cost, and they knew it was created for multiple seasons, so why would they spend $160 million to make one season if they weren't absolutely committed to go beyond that?  

Rebel Moon Pt.2 - Based on the first 20 minutes, it’s about as good as Pt.1

16 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Rebel Moon Pt.2 - Based on the first 20 minutes, it’s about as good as Pt.1

Pretty much the whole second half is a battle scene. That makes up for everything else

4 hours ago, BFit said:

Pretty much the whole second half is a battle scene. That makes up for everything else

I'm not sure that's possible.