EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Kiper has Dax Hill as his top safety. Sometimes he gets duped by agents (Jimmy Clausen), but he obviously has connections as a draft OG and ranks players based on what he’s hearing. 

40 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

One can never tell. But I am reliably informed that it's disconcerting to be doing your business as a lady and a have creepy American peep at you through the door crack.

Would it be less disconcerting if it were a creepy Brit instead?  

Kiper and McShay are saying Wyatt could drop to late 1st or early 2nd because of character concerns.

First I ever heard of any issues with him.

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Kiper and McShay are saying Wyatt could drop to late 1st or early 2nd because of character concerns.

First I ever heard of any issues with him.

Same. 

Regarding Wyatt, this is what I found:

News of Georgia DL Devonte Wyatt’s Tuesday night arrest spread on Wednesday morning. More details have emerged regarding the situation.

Per Dawgs247, the UGA Police Departement states that a 911 call was made on Feb. 21, by someone who chose to remain anonymous, stating that a black male and female were fighting at McWhorter Hall. The caller also described what the two people were wearing. When two university police officers arrived at McWhorter Hall, they observed the two individuals matching the caller’s description and attempted to speak with both. Per the police report, the female stopped but Wyatt walked away "at a brisk pace” and entered Vandiver Hall. The report details that officers entered Vandiver Hall with the female and were speaking with her when Wyatt came back through the lobby area where he was detained by one of the officers.

The report continues, stating that the officers learned that the female had been in Wyatt’s room at Vandiver Hall before going back to her room at McWhorter Hall and that Wyatt had allegedly followed her and kicked the exterior door of her apartment "multiple times from the hallway.” The officers observed that the door was damaged and jarred open as a result. The police noted a pattern of cohabitation, which explains the "family violence” charge showing on Wyatt’s record from the incident, along with criminal trespass and damage to property.

What sources said to Bruce Feldman about Drake London  .

he is my top WO

"You can see the basketball player in him because his ball skills are elite. He
also plays faster than people think. That team he was on was awful, just a
complete train wreck. But that kid brought it."
"He just has a really good feel for spacing and very strong hands. You do
wonder if he's got enough juice to separate or get away from guys after the
catch, but I think the quarterbacks will love him."
"I think he's one of the best receivers I've ever seen. He can really high-point
the ball, and he runs routes like a little guy, getting in and out of his cuts. He's
not afraid to get dirty. People may question his top-end (speed), and he
probably won't wow you, but his functional football speed, with his pads on, is
really good."
"He's a really tough matchup. He reminds me of Mike Evans. Both have those
long bodies, but they're not afraid to be really physical with people."
"I was more scared of him than Olave. He scared you every snap. I just thought
he could jump a little better than Olave and had more of the raw athleticism
and explosiveness. He just seemed like a jackrabbit."

21 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Davis is so far above them though in terms of potential. His bull rush will be scary for most centers to see him coming. For me it's Davis/Wyatt (depending on preference for an attacking DT or NT) and Booth. That would be where I'd like to see them go. 

My only problem with Davis and Wyatt is that you draft a DT in the top 15 to rush the passer, and neither guy seems to do that particularly well. I know that they were restricted somewhat by their scheme, but it reminds me of the quote from Moneyball, If he's a good hitter, then why doesn't he hit good?

That isn't to say that they both won't be really good players, and 15 might be the sweet spot to take either guy, since their floor is probably higher than the ceiling for the other DTs. But in our five-man fronts, I think we would be okay with a lesser talented player at the nose. The question for the Eagles is can these guys get to the qb consistently in a traditional 4-man front. If the answer is yes, you take them without thinking twice about it.

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

My only problem with Davis and Wyatt is that you draft a DT in the top 15 to rush the passer, and neither guy seems to do that particularly well. I know that they were restricted somewhat by their scheme, but it reminds me of the quote from Moneyball, If he's a good hitter, then why doesn't he hit good?

That isn't to say that they both won't be really good players, and 15 might be the sweet spot to take either guy, since their floor is probably higher than the ceiling for the other DTs. But in our five-man fronts, I think we would be okay with a lesser talented player at the nose. The question for the Eagles is can these guys get to the qb consistently in a traditional 4-man front. If the answer is yes, you take them without thinking twice about it.

I must admit part of my fascination with Davis is I want to see him versus Kelce in drills…you know the Kelce quotes will be hilarious. And then him versus Mailata in 1 on 1 drills…closest we can get to Godzilla v Kong. :lol:

I also think Davis will require double blocking quite often when bull rushing. The kid is the size of a Mini Cooper with legs. 

8 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Wow.

Sweet. Take him at 51. :lol:

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Wyatt is damn near middle-aged, so I’m sure he’s matured since the incident. 

There’s a lot of older prospects this year because of Covid. Good DT’s typically play into their early 30’s. 

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I must admit part of my fascination with Davis is I want to see him versus Kelce in drills…you know the Kelce quotes will be hilarious. And then him versus Mailata in 1 on 1 drills…closest we can get to Godzilla v Kong. :lol:

Sweet. Take him at 51. :lol:

There’s a lot of older prospects this year because of Covid. Good DT’s typically play into their early 30’s. 

He’ll be 29 when he first hits FA. That’s not even a guy you can feel great projecting a lucrative second contract to. 

No chance I’m taking him top 20. 

25 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Shady has 2 that he wasn't even a part of lol

21 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Regarding Wyatt, this is what I found:

Guess they don't have a door kicking test at the combine

scouts on Leo

Leo Chenal, Wisconsin (6-2 ½, 250): Two-year starter declared a year early. "He's a
better player than Dean," said one scout. "This guy is all over the damn place. He's
Chris Borland, only bigger. Instinctive as hell. He's the old-school 'mike, really. The
concern is the space stuff. You never see him in coverage or space play. You'll have to
figure out something to do with this guy. Don't draft him and say, 'Drop back there
and cover Keep this guy coming forward and tearing stuff up. He'll lead a defense."
Executed punishing, well-timed blitzes in 2021 when he garnered eight of his 11 sacks.
"He's got everything I like," said a second scout. "I'd put him bottom of the second
round, and somebody will get a real player." Ran a fast 40 (4.43) at 250 to go with a 40
½2-inch vertical jump. "I thought I was going to see a Wisconsin linebacker," a third
scout said. "I was totally shocked. This guy can run. He goes sideline to sideline."
Arms were just 31. "I'm not sure what to do with him," a fourth scout said. "He is
instinctive, strong, tough. Really good inside run player. Good blitzer. Questionable
athlete, questionable third-down value in coverage. More of a thumper. He's a 3-4
inside guy, probably. He's like an old-school 4-3 'mike' but he's straight-line fast. He's
just really stiff in space, but a 3-4 team could draft him in the third. He's got starter
makeup."

on Lloyd 

Devin Lloyd, Utah (6-2 ½, 237): Fifth-year senior, four-year starter. "Not as talented as
Devin White but he's all over the place,"
one scout said. "Just makes plays. Explosive as
hell. He can cover. He blitzes. He's a Pro Bowl linebacker. Never leaves the field. Runs
the D. He'll stack. He strikes people. Does it all. They man him up a lot. Top-10
(prospect)." Didn't run a very good 40 (4.66) but jumped well and benched 25 times,
second at the position. "Little bit of a poor man's Darius Leonard," said another scout.
"Long, can run, flexible. Plays on his feet. Good blitzer. Reliable tackler. He's not a
thumper. He's more athletic." Finished with 15 ½ sacks, 43 tackles for loss and eight
turnover plays. "He's really good laterally and as a space player but he's not a take-on
guy at all," said a third scout. "The physical aspect concerns me. He sits there and
catches, but he's quick enough to react off the blockers and make the play. There are
times when he lets the guy push him down. Best in space. I estimated 4.6 to 4.65."
Arms were 33, longest of the leading players

3 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

I would not trade 15 or 18 for the Chiefs two picks. The bottom of the first round is an awful place to be. All the first round graded guys are usually gone, so you're paying 2nd round talents 1st round money. And the Eagles have a horrendous track record picking in that spot.

Say Stingley or Johnson or Williams are there. You'd really trade the opportunity to get difference making players at positions of need for those picks?

If the Chiefs throw in their 2023 1st, sure. But just trading down for those two picks? F no.

Agreed. The only way I trade down to the bottom of the first is if we get another future first on top of it. Say, 18 and a 3rd for a late first and 2023 first. But even then you’re probably getting 2 late round firsts if you trade with the Chiefs.

22 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

scouts on Leo......

Thanks for these reports.

Keep 'em comin' if you can.

With Davis, look back to Dontari Poe in 2012.  Absurd strength and athleticism at his size.  Top 15 pick.  Had a nice career.  2 pro bowls.

Not a game wrecker, but damn good.

Thats what you’ll get out of Davis at 15.

Garrett Wilson, Ohio State (5-11 ½, 183): Reminded one scout of De Vonta Smith, the
former Alabama wideout who was drafted No. 10 by the Eagles last year. "The word is
explosive," that scout said. "Talented receiver with quickness and run after the catch.
If he runs in the 4.3's he could possibly go in the top 10. He just isn't big."
Ran the 40
in 4.38 seconds at the combine in Indianapolis. "It's a toss-up between Wilson and
London as first to go,
" another scout said. "He's really good. He's smaller, but he's fast
and explosive. There's a lot of T.Y. Hilton to him. He can play inside or outside."

Chris Olave, Ohio State (6-0 ½, 187): Played off the bench as a freshman before
hauling in 32 TD passes from 2019-'21 as a three-year starter.
"He should have come
out last year,
said one scout.
"He would have been right up there. Like him. Not top
magic with the ball in his hands but a really good player. He's not a No. 1 receiver but
you'd love to have him. Not explosive like Jameson) Williams but he can still really
run." Clocked 4.39 at the combine.
"He's going to be a better pro than Wilson," another
scout said. "I say that because for some reason the quarterbacks there loved Olave. It's
probably dependability. They knew he's always going to be there." Added a third scout:
"You use caution with a one-year production guy, particularly if he's an
underclassman. This kid has played and produced since he got on campus, and he's
made big plays in big games."

Jameson Williams, Alabama (6-1 ½, 179): Played behind Olave and Wilson in two
seasons at Ohio State before transferring.
"He's the exact opposite of Drake London,"
one scout said. "He looks kind of thin but he's the most explosive of all the receivers.
He's just electric. Big-time playmaker. He can run through any defense. He likes to
body (catch) it some but he has good enough hands. He just has a gear .. he's got that
DeSean Jackson type (gear). 'Doesn't matter. I'm just gonna run by everybody."
Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the national championship game.
"He
would have been really close to the top wide receiver," a second scout said. "He is a
vertical nightmare. Now you've got to discount him. Second round." Averaged 19.9
yards on 79 receptions, returned two kickoffs for touchdowns while averaging 35.2,
and covered kicks.

Archived