EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, greend said:

If writing is what this guy does for a living he ought to know about "their"

Also, "Rams has emerged" is way wrong. If old man greeny can pick up on grammar mistakes, you know you're in trouble! 

16 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't foresee the city of Philadelphia topping the list of a Manning's idea destinations.

I guess we'll see what Howie is really made of! 

In reality, it's far more likely that if we were in a position to draft him, he'd reject Philly and demand a trade elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Also, "Rams has emerged" is way wrong. If old man greeny can pick up on grammar mistakes, you know you're an idiot! 

FYP

7 minutes ago, greend said:

If writing is what this guy does for a living he ought to know about "their"

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I fully understand, you are just trying to create a narrative.  

Eagles have had 70+ million in dead cap the last two years, the Rams have been paying their money to impact players.

They also rolled over 39M the last two years and saved 25M in 2022 from not having to pay Wentz who was a big part of the dead hit. You’re looking at it one sided.

12 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I never said to focus on the cap hit for a single year.  The cap hits for Cox, Brooks and others has been WAY over their value to the team for YEARS.  It's not a one year at a time thing, but a year after year thing.  

The real cost of Cox being back this year is at least one more top level talent, that's younger and might be a part of the future beyond 2022.  

Please stop venerating Howie and act like he's incapable of criticism.  This team has huge cap hits year after year for players that aren't capable of playing at the level of their contract.  Then, they also cost big money AFTER they are no longer on the team in addition to the other costs, adding to the overpay and keeping the talent that they want to see because of what they were, rather than what they currently are and will be in the immediate future.

I agree with you both on Cox and Brooks.  I was not a fan of the Brooks extension at the time and thought re-signing Cox was crazy.  

17 minutes ago, greend said:

We don't know what the plan is

Sometimes I fear that the Eagles don't either.

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It is a 100% accurate reflection of his cost in 2022, just like it is an accurate reflection of his cost in 2023.

The problem is, Howie Roseman gave out contracts in 2018 to reflect the cost of what those players ( Jeffrey ) did in 2017, and DeSean Jackson, and did not get what he is playing for that year.  The future is the future, right now, the Rams are getting major impact for the money they are allocating in 2021 and 2022, the Eagles are not.

The Eagles have 36 million in dead cap, the Rams have 13 million in dead cap.  The difference is the money the Rams are paying to Donald or Ramsey.

This has to be an act right?  You cannot really be this dumb.  The Eagles did not have tons of dead cap in 2017 when they were competing.  Because that's what all teams do.  When they are competing they push the pain to future years.  But rather than grasp this exceedingly obvious issue by comparing the 2017 Eagles cap against the 2022 Rams cap, you knowingly take apples and oranges.

That said, I'm going to get off this carousel with you because as I said when this started, you insist on creating this willfully misrepresentative situations.

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Whoa. I heard Eagles don’t use those for smokescreens

3 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

They also rolled over 39M the last two years and saved 25M in 2022 from not having to pay Wentz who was a big part of the dead hit. You’re looking at it one sided.

We did not save that 25 million, we just replaced it with dead cap hits for Malik Jackson, Derek Barnett, Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz.

Then on top of the dead hit for Barnett, we brought him back, adding to his 7.2 million dead cap.

15 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I think they have a plan. But a plan is only as good as it being able to accomplish and fulfill it. The eagles tried to get Ridley but who knew he’d parlay himself out of playing this year. They tried for Williams and got outbid. So had to move to a secondary plan. 

I think their plan is they keep building up capital year to year so that eventually they hope they can acquire the quarterback they truly covet and want. The problem is what I’ve been talking about for about a year now. Unless hurts becomes that guy you are dealing with a league that’s doing the same thing. There’s 5 teams next year with multiple picks in the first round picks all likely trying to set themselves up to get that prized QB. Have to hope some of them go QB this year. In theory it sounds great to just keep having the capital to go get a quarterback yearly but at some point in time you have to be able to actually acquire one that you really covet. which is not easy and might not happen yet again next year. You might get stuck in a quarterback purgatory. People don’t want to accept that but that is an actual possibility just like getting one is an actual possibility. 

Howie clearly has a plan, he's rebuilding for the long-term, 5 picks in the top 101 this year, 4 in the top 50 or so the next two years.

Meanwhile he's going to field a competitive team by paying some veterans on one year deals (or deals that end) without mortgaging the future.

He's built "optionality" so that he can make a splash when the team is built up to the point that adding some key FAs can make a difference or trading for a key upgrade.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We did not save that 25 million, we just replaced it with dead cap hits for Malik Jackson, Derek Barnett, Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz.

Then on top of the dead hit for Barnett, we brought him back, adding to his 7.2 million dead cap.

We were going to have those dead cap hits regardless of Wentz.

Dead Cap hits: 70M

Roll over plus Wentz savings - Hurts contract: 60M

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Howie clearly has a plan, he's rebuilding for the long-term, 5 picks in the top 101 this year, 4 in the top 50 or so the next two years.

Meanwhile he's going to field a competitive team by paying some veterans on one year deals (or deals that end) without mortgaging the future.

He's built "optionality" so that he can make a splash when the team is built up to the point that adding some key FAs can make a difference or trading for a key upgrade.

See this part is bull cause they tried to trade for Calvin Ridley. Was going to cost them picks and a new big time deal as he needed that with his contract being up after 2022. That’s a splash that happens if he doesn’t get busted for parlays. Add on they had a competitive offer for Williams. And based off what the ravens paid Williams that is a splash imo. They tried to get Ridley, Williams and reddick this offseason. To me that’s 3 splash type of moves. They just didn’t get it done due to some circumstances outside of their control.  

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

You mean like the JJAW-to-H-back plan?

11 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Sometimes? 

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Planning for the long term is the goal for every GM in the league.  I'm supposed to give him props for doing his job?

He's not mortgaging the future via draft picks, but he's mortgaging the future via dead cap money.  And it's stupid because that plan requires the cap to steadily go up and up so the money he rolls over stays a small percentage of the overall cap space.  But all that money still has to be spoken for, and all it takes is something to happen to cap growth that could royally F this team over, and hard. 

Howie can have his plan all he wants but it's still dumb.

Just now, ManuManu said:

Eases my mind about the lis franc. Its not incredibly impressive, but it seems above average. And probably could  have been better if he had even longer to prepare. Id think he will be athletic enough to succeed. Now you just have to get to the bottom of what affected his performance after his freshman season.

5 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

This has to be an act right?  You cannot really be this dumb.  The Eagles did not have tons of dead cap in 2017 when they were competing.  Because that's what all teams do.  When they are competing they push the pain to future years.  But rather than grasp this exceedingly obvious issue by comparing the 2017 Eagles cap against the 2022 Rams cap, you knowingly take apples and oranges.

That said, I'm going to get off this carousel with you because as I said when this started, you insist on creating this willfully misrepresentative situations.

Eagles had 7.9 dead cap in 2017 and more in 2018.  Eagles dead cap has grown every year since.

Rams had 39.2 dead in 2021.  Rams have 13 dead this year, and none next year.  They have shrunk the number to zero in two years.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Eases my mind about the lis franc. Its not incredibly impressive, but it seems above average. And probably could  have been better if he had even longer to prepare. Id think he will be athletic enough to succeed. Now you just have to get to the bottom of what affected his performance after his freshman season.

Anxiety 

Archived