EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

Jameson Williams, Alabama (6-1 ½, 179): Played behind Olave and Wilson in two
seasons at Ohio State before transferring.
"He's the exact opposite of Drake London,"
one scout said. "He looks kind of thin but he's the most explosive of all the receivers.
He's just electric. Big-time playmaker. He can run through any defense. He likes to
body (catch) it some but he has good enough hands. He just has a gear .. he's got that
DeSean Jackson type
(gear). 'Doesn't matter. I'm just gonna run by everybody."
Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the national championship game.
"He
would have been really close to the top wide receiver," a second scout said. "He is a
vertical nightmare. Now you've got to discount him. Second round." Averaged 19.9
yards on 79 receptions, returned two kickoffs for touchdowns while averaging 35.2,
and covered kicks.

That's kinda the comparison I've wanted to make but Jackson is a really tough comparison for anyone. Guy is gonna be fun to watch in the pros. 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Or they are taking the advantage of the process to get to know these guys so if they hit the market in a few years, the team already has some intelligence on them.

If they're good, how likely is it that a QB will hit the market? A position like  Lineman or DB sure. The only above average QB I can think of that became a free agent was Cousins and we all know why that happened.

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

With Davis, look back to Dontari Poe in 2012.  Absurd strength and athleticism at his size.  Top 15 pick.  Had a nice career.  2 pro bowls.

Not a game wrecker, but damn good.

Thats what you’ll get out of Davis at 15.

I think Davis is actually a tad bit more athletic, but it’s a good comparison. Davis is about .1 seconds faster in the 40 and out jumped him by 2.5”. 

There's no way all these Georgia defenders are going to be stars in the NFL. I think Travon Walker gets drafted too high and Wyatt busts.

So does anyone have any insight into Jelani Woods? We could use a second TE at some point.  Still I don't know anything else about the guy other than "crazy athletic scores"

Which of course is intriguing as hell but far from the full story on a player.

Follow up:

I found this part interesting.  He goes on to point out that there have been zero impact TEs in the NFL with below average athletic score testing.  I'm sure that is mostly true for many positions but literally zero is interesting.

14 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Follow up:

I found this part interesting.  He goes on to point out that there have been zero impact TEs in the NFL with below average athletic score testing.  I'm sure that is mostly true for many positions but literally zero is interesting.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/zach-ertz

This is "average" testing. Below average explosion and size, but good quickness.

35 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

So does anyone have any insight into Jelani Woods? We could use a second TE at some point.  Still I don't know anything else about the guy other than "crazy athletic scores"

Nobody knew he would test like that at the combine. Eyeball test on the field reveals stiffness. 

Id guess he can be dangerous on seam routes with his height and speed. But I dont suspect he will develop in to a deadly receiver who can run all the routes and get open regularly. Its gonna have to be all contested catches over top of shorter LBs and Safeties. 

If you want a #2 TE who can block and sneak free down the seam from time to time, which we probably do, then he could be the pick. But I wouldnt draft him looking for a TE#1 in the offense.

56 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

image.thumb.png.5431724bf341921392106640d0df6edb.png

Nice job getting two backups for Maddox in the slot. Also, put these silly pipe dreams of a day 1 or 2 LB to rest. Ross is definitely out of R3 after not just below average, but abysmal testing. Also, Uwazurike despite his listing here is a DT weighing in over 300 pounds. We are all now a little dumber for having seen this abortion of a mock draft. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

44 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I know he’s huge and very athletic. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Nobody knew he would test like that at the combine. Eyeball test on the field reveals stiffness. 

Id guess he can be dangerous on seam routes with his height and speed. But I dont suspect he will develop in to a deadly receiver who can run all the routes and get open regularly. Its gonna have to be all contested catches over top of shorter LBs and Safeties. 

If you want a #2 TE who can block and sneak free down the seam from time to time, which we probably do, then he could be the pick. But I wouldnt draft him looking for a TE#1 in the offense.

We don’t need a TE1. But I’m higher on guys like Kolar, Turner and Krull than Woods. 

41 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Follow up:

Contrarily, guys like Gresham, Cook, Ingram, Njoku, OJ Howard,  really dont come close to playing to expectations built on their athleticism. They look like freaks, and usually turn out just average. Vernon Davis was a real freak and he was just average. He is propped up a bit based on compiling statistics due to good longevity. 

Guys who are just solid athletes like Ertz, Goedert, Celek, Greg Olsen, Travis Kelce they might have run 4.5- mid 4.6. Celek probably did worse without looking it up. I think its more based on size and physicality with good enough speed. 

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Nice job getting two backups for Maddox in the slot. Also, put these silly pipe dreams of a day 1 or 2 LB to rest. Ross is definitely out of R3 after not just below average, but abysmal testing. Also, Uwazurike despite his listing here is a DT weighing in over 300 pounds. We are all now a little dumber for having seen this abortion of a mock draft. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. 

I know he’s huge and very athletic. 

We don’t need a TE1. But I’m higher on guys like Kolar, Turner and Krull than Woods. 

I agree we dont need one. So Woods is a fit. But I agree. Why not go for higher upside if its available at the time of the TE pick? Given the choice between Kolar and Woods, I go Kolar without hesitation. I dont buy TE being an athlete position. Its not. 

Just now, Texas Eagle said:

That's my guy

He’s definitely high on my watch list next year, along with Jurkovec and McKee. 

What a run on QBs too early could do for us:

image.thumb.png.bf15917e5a85093f708c798a22b4d697.png

Didn't factor us trading up as I wanted to see who would be left

28 minutes ago, RLC said:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/zach-ertz

This is "average" testing. Below average explosion and size, but good quickness.

zach-ertz-ras-10980.png?resize=806,522&s

Poor explosion, OK Size/Agility, Good speed

But overall the scales of this score are such that >5 is above average so he's still there.  It's just interesting to me that TE is the only position where no guys <5 have gone on to be impact players.  It speaks to a relatively high athletic threshold being absolutely required at the position.  Although I think @HazletonEagle had a good point in that the difference between the "elite" athletes at TE and the "pretty good" athletes at TE shows that as long as you pass that threshold you don't need to be a Gesicki/Davis/Howard type of athlete to be very successful. 

Spent a good 5 mins trying to come up with a "tank for Tua” for Van Dyke and I got nothing 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I think Davis is actually a tad bit more athletic, but it’s a good comparison. Davis is about .1 seconds faster in the 40 and out jumped him by 2.5”. 

Poe was only 6'3"

Davis is what 6'7"

I think that extra length gives him a different dimension than po.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Spent a good 5 mins trying to come up with a "tank for Tua” for Van Dyke and I got nothing 

Losses we like for Van Dyke?

I’m so sorry. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Tank for Tyler

14 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

zach-ertz-ras-10980.png?resize=806,522&s

Poor explosion, OK Size/Agility, Good speed

But overall the scales of this score are such that >5 is above average so he's still there.  It's just interesting to me that TE is the only position where no guys <5 have gone on to be impact players.  It speaks to a relatively high athletic threshold being absolutely required at the position.  Although I think @HazletonEagle had a good point in that the difference between the "elite" athletes at TE and the "pretty good" athletes at TE shows that as long as you pass that threshold you don't need to be a Gesicki/Davis/Howard type of athlete to be very successful. 

Im thinking of even more. Look at Mark Andrews. 4.67 40, 31'' vert, 7.34 cone

Hockenson 4.7 40, 37.5 vert, 7.02 3 cone

And more athletic guys like Noah Fant 4.50 40, 39.5'' vert,  6.81 3 cone

Albert 0 from the 2020 draft with his 4.49 40.

Noah Gray from last year 4.62, 25'' vert, 6.90 3 cone.

Jonnu Smith 4.62 40,  38'' vert, 10'7'' broad. 

Pitts- good rookie season. Not dominant. Will see what becomes of him. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

fall off your bike for Tyler Van Dyke :blink:

Archived