EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

19 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Unless you absolutely love hockey, I don’t know why anyone would even waste their time with the Flyers anymore. Find something productive to do with your time. Why waste it on a boring, rotten, nothing franchise that has no shot to win anything with your limited time on this earth? Imagine being like 75 and calculating that you spent thousands of hours of your life watching trash and realizing what else that could have been spent on.

It sucks. I love hockey but I've found myself just casually following them for the past few years as they've been a dumpster fire. At least when the Eagles suck it's only one game a week where it's not a lot of time commitment. 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RLC said:

We're experiencing a lot of turnover. We need to staff up.

Wonder if they are taking applications? 🤔

Watching more Kennedy Brooks tape.  What I like about him is he has good vision and takes what's there and doesn't just go down on contact.  Nothing flashy and he's clearly not fast but he seems good at just churning out chunks of yards. Disclaimer I'm looking at a small sample

17 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Wonder if they are taking applications? 🤔

I put on my resume I average 22 PFF, 12 PFN, and 10 draft networks mock draft simulators/day.  I’d imagine my time with you jokers/racists is coming to an end soon.  

image.jpeg.7fde74de925476a66ade89e4b11d39da.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Unless you absolutely love hockey, I don’t know why anyone would even waste their time with the Flyers anymore. Find something productive to do with your time. Why waste it on a boring, rotten, nothing franchise that has no shot to win anything with your limited time on this earth? Imagine being like 75 and calculating that you spent thousands of hours of your life watching trash and realizing what else that could have been spent on.

Lol talking to the most rabid corner of the EMB about wasting hours of your life 

1 hour ago, The Blackfish said:

image.jpeg.12996a52c4e9c8807f9c3a7545704897.jpeg

image.jpeg.13ecf833c798bd4647a515bfdd99931f.jpeg

Eagles to Browns runs in the family. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a3aea2d2ea30a72834650b158f89d14f.jpeg

image.gif.d21fef88c0bf225758da2896a4d1af76.gif

It’s been almost 6 days and the boner I got from getting Jordan Davis and AJ Brown with our R1 picks still hasn’t gone down. Time to call my doc…or Aidan Hutchinson’s mom. 

5 hours ago, austinfan said:

Rangers traded Hayes b/c they were starting a rebuild, 2018 TDL they traded Grabner, Nash, Graves, McDonagh and Miller, TDL 2019 they traded Hayes, Zuccarello, McQuaid.

Hayes 49, 44, 55 points before his new contract, Nelson 45, 35, 53. Nelson gave the Isles a resigning discount, could have gotten more in FA.

Lee signed a 7 year deal starting at age 29, not 27. 52, 62, 51 points the three years before his extension.  Better player but covers two more years into his mid-30s.

They did not want to pay Kevin Hayes 5.5-6.25 mil they thought he get in FA for 5 to 6 years (read article posting on here). He was 25 years old when they started that rebuild and there was a thought he’d be a linchpin to the rebuild. They traded him in the second year of the rebuild. Because the year prior they couldve dealt him but wanted him to be part of the long term future of the rangers. They tried to negotiate prior to the start of 18-19 season then by nhl rule couldnt til jan 1st. the rangers would’ve brought him back but the Rangers didn’t think he was going to be worth $5.5-6.5 million over 5-6 years.  hayes had leverage in the situation to ask for getting close to FA. rebuild or not. When they couldn’t get a contract negotiations on track in the offseason before the start of the 2018-19 season and then feb 16 after the jan 1st deadline passed  ( where he was 26 at the time) that is when they committed to rather having the prospects/picks and dealing him midseason (https://nypost.com/2018/07/28/rangers-stance-on-kevin-hayes-contract-complicates-rebuild/amp/   And https://elitesportsny.com/2019/02/16/new-york-rangers-news-start-contract-talks-with-kevin-hayes-mats-zuccarello-report/amp/). So you’re telling me on February 16, 2019 when the Rangers started having negotiations and trying to work on a contract extension they didn’t want Kevin Hayes at that point? BS. They tried and they realized they didn’t want to pay him what he was asking for which then led them to dealing him  

Nelson was also a better goal scorer. He had 90 goals in 4 years prior. Hayes had 73. The three years prior nelson had 64 and hayes had 56. Their point differential was 5 points per season difference in 3 years. But you got on average 3 goals more out of nelson which again goal scorers tend to make more money. Nelson gave them a small discount. However the islanders weren’t dumb enough to offer him an extra 7th year nor 700k-1 mil More per year than what he should’ve gotten. Heck there were multiple reports the rangers thought hayes was getting 5-6 years in FA around 6 mil. Not 7 years around 7.14 mil per. The rangers didn’t even want to go 6 years 6 mil for him and they actually tried to keep him and extend him. Heck a lot of people thought the nelson contract was a bad deal for the islanders. So if people thought that with nelson why would you want the flyers coming close to that  

again Lee averaged 34 goals per season over 3 years whereas Kevin hayes was averaging for his career 18 goals. There is a reason why Lee got paid what he did because people thought he was going to be a consistent yearly 30 goal scorer. Nobody thought Kevin Hayes was consistently gonna be a 30 goal scorer when he had never done it in his career to that point. That’s why the Islanders were justified giving away that contract to lee and flyers were overpaying for hayes who wasn’t nearly as good of a player nor shown to be a 30+ goal scorer. 

you can keep making Fing excuses. That  Hayes contract is becoming a worse contract with every passing year.  he wasn’t as good as Lee nor did he ever project to be the goal scorer Lee was. His comp was closer to Nelson who was making 6 million a year. Which was actually right around market value. he’s not $1.14 million more per year or one extra year more than Nelson even if nelson gave a small discount. Hayes range should have been 6-6.25 mil. We overpaid by about a million per season  and gave him an extra year because the flyers backed themselves into a corner trading away a pick and then bidded against themselves. And I haven’t even mentioned fletcher and the flyers gave him a NMC which is also ridiculous  

This article says what I’ve been saying. His Avv should’ve been something like 6 years 36-38 mil or 5 years 30-32 mil. Not 7 for 50 mil. Even mentions Nelson’s contract as not being a particularly great contract either and even though hayes was a small upgrade over nelson it wasn’t worth what they paid. Also this article was based off the assumption on this contract he’d average 50-55 points. Which he has not come close to which makes this contract look even worse. This contract was supposed to get bad in years 5-7. We’re only entering year four and it’s already been a bad contract 2 of  the last 3 years. Even his first year he wasn’t worth the price of 7.14 mil. https://medium.com/@nolancattell/nhl-free-agency-contract-grades-kevin-hayes-c716829680f9

let’s just point out Risto now has a bad contract and it was a stupid trade in terms of value. Kevin Hayes has a bad contract that people thought at the time wasn’t worth it. Add on Ryan Ellis which is looking like a bad contract (NOT BAD LUCK. He’s been freaking injured 4 of 5 years. And 3 consecutive years. He is injury prone). Thank god we have Ellis at 31 for 5 more years at 6.25 mil per when he can’t stay healthy and might already be declining. Yup it was just that damn mandate. I’m sure Fletcher’s mandate excuses would go well with doc rivers who also likes to make excuses and shift blame. 

Another take on the awful contact  

Philadelphia Flyers: Kevin Hayes

(Five years, $7.142 million, with NMC)

As tempting as it would be to finger Rasmus Ristolainen’s new extension as the worst contract on the Philadelphia Flyers’ books, there is one that seems even worse at the moment. The Flyers had one of the busier offseasons of any team in the NHL, and in the process rid themselves of the troublesome contracts of Shayne Gostisbehere and Jakub Voráček. They still have several questionable deals on the books, though, and with due respect to a beloved player, none is more suspect than the one given to forward Kevin Hayes.

Contract as a pending UFA by first trading for his rights. The price tag of over $7 million per season immediately felt like an absurd stretch for a player who had only just passed the 50 point mark for the first time in his career, especially since the club tacked on a NMC. Hayes actually has fit in well in Philadelphia and is a beloved, heart-and-soul type player admired around the league. But that cap hit is still too much, especially in a flat-cap era. Plus, as a 6-foot-5, 216 pound, physical forward, his game isn’t likely to age gracefully. This season, he’s 10th on the team in points. The no-movement clause in his deal makes the contract even more challenging. Some Flyers fans may disagree, but over time, Hayes’ contract is likely to look worse and worse.

Here’s another article discussing it. 
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2949585-analyzing-every-nhl-teams-worst-contract.amp.html

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So... what you are saying is that this team is a SB contender right now:blink: 

Somebody has to. Might as well

34 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

image.thumb.png.dd2032b61a7485f11ecb20466ea6e2af.pngAnd we’re off and running 

CJ and BJ. Just missing a ZJ.

4 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Watching more Kennedy Brooks tape.  What I like about him is he has good vision and takes what's there and doesn't just go down on contact.  Nothing flashy and he's clearly not fast but he seems good at just churning out chunks of yards. Disclaimer I'm looking at a small sample

Sounds spot on.

5 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Drafting an OSU quarterback is asking for another 5 years of sucking. 

5 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

If Stroud is still on the board at 13, the "all good QBs go Top 5" gang will be in full lather. 

Kiper and McShay both put the over/under on 2023 QBs going in the first round at 6.5.

They both took the over, this class is STACKED!

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Imagine being a fan of the team and ……you know wanting that team to win and be good.  

Crazy concept.  

He's a :peng:

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That explains that.  Biggest bandwagon fan base I’ve ever come across.  

Nah, that means troll, not a Penguins fan.  :lol: 

8 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

The entire 1970s decade of Eagles Fandom.  The last 3 seasons of Eagle Fandom, and if a QB doesn't emerge soon for them the entire 2020 decade for the Eagles.  One choice is to stop posting here and do other fun stuff until that QB emerges.  But, before doing that read my last paragraph.

Amazing though, even when my Philly sports teams have sucked I've manged to ski all over the country, travel much of the world and live in another country for the last 7 years of the 1990's, lived in Seattle, San Fran, Denver, now Sarasota, have a career, kayak, fish, golf,  camp, read, help raise my deceased brothers children, and so much more- all of that before 2017 when the Eagles finally paid our Fandom bill, with the Sixers only winning the Championship once, the Flyers not since I was 9 years old, amd the Phillies giving us a total of 7 good years of baseball and 2 WS victories.  

I guess what I'm saying is I will be a "fan coach in rough times" to show you how you can live large while still staying engaged with your sports teams, even when they stink.  For a price, of course.  PM me amd we can discuss the terms.  I am an expert as I've been a Philly sports fan for 50 years.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Kiper and McShay both put the over/under on 2023 QBs going in the first round at 6.5.

They both took the over, this class is STACKED!

• Bryce Young
  • CJ Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Will Levis
  • Phil Jurkovec
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Tanner McKee

There's basically a flavour for everyone.

Now, some players here will take a step back like Sam Howell did, but even if only 5 are good that's fine. Still think Richardson will be our guy. He'll be 21 before the draft and has every tool. Because he's a Florida player, he also gets in trouble. He got stopped for driving 105mph at 4am.

If the 2023 QB class is stacked and they project 5 or 6 first rounders,

then it will be hard to trade any of our QB assets.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:
  • Bryce Young
  • CJ Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Will Levis
  • Phil Jurkovec
  • Tanner McKee

Now, some players here will take a step back like Sam Howell did, but even if only 5 are good that's fine. Still think Richardson will be our guy. He'll be 21 before the draft and has every tool. Because he's a Florida player, he also gets in trouble. He got stopped for driving 105mph at 4am.

Two other QB who weren't on my radar that I have seen in this conversation are Sam Hartman from Wake Forest, and Devin Leary from NC State.

You also have two other QBs who fell on their face last year but have talent: Uiagalelei & Rattler.

I agree that Richardson seems like a Lowie type of QB. The reason they preferred Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson as franchise QBs were their sky high ceilings.

Richardson has the talent to be a special QB, but his extremely limited sample size so far requires a lot of development.

10 minutes ago, RLC said:
  • Bryce Young
  • CJ Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Will Levis
  • Phil Jurkovec
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Tanner McKee

I like Tyler Van Dyke.  Seems you do too.   Not sure if that was a subliminal message or unintentional, but either way, I agree.  Tyler Van Dyke for Eagles QB 2023.   Start the campaign!

12 minutes ago, RLC said:
  • Bryce Young
  • CJ Stroud
  • Anthony Richardson
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Will Levis
  • Phil Jurkovec
  • Tyler Van Dyke
  • Tanner McKee

In his defense, 105 mph isn't that unusual on Florida highways and down here 4 am is like 6 am in other places.

Archived