EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

14 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

NFL trivia: without anyone looking it up… there are 3 players in history who scored multiple 95 yard or longer receiving TDs. Who were they?

A couples hints to narrow it down. One of them is a former Eagle but didn’t do it with the Eagles. And two of the three both did it for the same organization.

Hank Baskett is one. 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I’m ded

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hank Baskett is one. 

He is not.

One of them is still playing. This receiver played with the same QB as another recent WR who did it, who is no longer in the league.

And another receiver who was a pretty big name in the late 80s/early 90s did it.

28 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

NFL trivia: without anyone looking it up… there are 3 players in history who scored multiple 95 yard or longer receiving TDs. Who were they?

A couples hints to narrow it down. One of them is a former Eagle but didn’t do it with the Eagles. And two of the three both did it for the same organization.

I cheated, and there is 4

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You didn’t have to sign any of them. Save the money and use it down the road. Kevin Hayes when he said what he said was because he really didn’t want to be in Philadelphia. It was reported he didn’t want to go to Philadelphia. The fact that the flyers threw more money at him then anybody was just to get him to come to Philadelphia tells you everything you needed to know about making that move. It was a dumb move. The main reason why he came here was simply because no one else  remotely was going to pay them with the Flyers were. Fletcher should’ve taken a step back and said he really doesn’t want to be here so why am I gonna overpay for a guy who doesn’t want to be with my organization. You move on and you save that salary cap to use it at the trade deadline or the next year or put another position because of Flyers had a bunch of them they had to fix.

When you're hired with a mandate to win now and a "bias for action" (Holmgren's words at the time), you don't save the money and use it down the road, especially when your predecessor got fired for doing just that.

I get a lot of crap for this, but face it, Philly is not a prime destination for most free agents - Harper came here for the money, etc.

Panarin wanted to go to NYC, Fox forced a trade to NYC, LA is a hot destination for NBA players, Japanese baseball players prefer West Coast teams and so on.

Which is why I don't like when Philly teams spend big money in free agency, they do better with the second tier guys who can't be as picky.

30 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Whats the answer 

Just now, downundermike said:

Whats the answer 

Juju Smith Schuster

Mike Wallace

John Taylor

Unless I missed one.

2 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Really really happy they didn't get Cine.

For anyone wondering what I’m doing from now until the end of April ‘23…

image.thumb.png.e1d37ae1eabe417ae6a878726b869e4a.png

I know how much everyone loves mock drafts! And yes, I took a R2 RB and another WR in R3 just to annoy you more. 

25 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

For anyone wondering what I’m doing from now until the end of April ‘23…

image.thumb.png.e1d37ae1eabe417ae6a878726b869e4a.png

I know how much everyone loves mock drafts! And yes, I took a R2 RB and another WR in R3 just to annoy you more. 

Thank god.  I have been so bored at work this week.  I am doing hourly mock drafts tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Belichick is wondering where Cole Stranges name is. 

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

When you're hired with a mandate to win now and a "bias for action" (Holmgren's words at the time), you don't save the money and use it down the road, especially when your predecessor got fired for doing just that.

I get a lot of crap for this, but face it, Philly is not a prime destination for most free agents - Harper came here for the money, etc.

Panarin wanted to go to NYC, Fox forced a trade to NYC, LA is a hot destination for NBA players, Japanese baseball players prefer West Coast teams and so on.

Which is why I don't like when Philly teams spend big money in free agency, they do better with the second tier guys who can't be as picky.

again you didn’t have to spend it on Kevin Hayes.  Furthermore the Flyers put themselves in a position where they were basically bidding against themselves because they traded a draft pick to get him before free agency started. The flyers had multiple other areas where the flyers lacked talent and had issues. Even if you had a win now mandate, there were other positions where the flyers they could’ve spent on or moves they could’ve made at that positions via FA and trade. he made a decision which is beginning to turn into a bad contract. 

you seem to think they were just gonna flyers were going to fire fletcher if didn’t get get Kevin Hayes. No they weren’t. They had a backup plan which they should’ve went too when the price was reportedly nowhere near the aav he was likely to get in aFa and what was reported about him wanting to play here  

I don’t disagree with you that Philly isn’t a prime destination for free agents and you’ll overpay some. Not DRASTICALLY overpay to the point where you are bidding against yourself. That’s just stupid. If you had to overpay bidding against yourself then should walk away. There’s a point where you say this isn’t worth it I’m bowing out and using my money elsewhere. It’s why you have multiple plans of action not just one I don’t care what the mandate was, when it leaked out he had very little desire to play here besides being immensely overpaid then you move in another direction. That should be a red flag alarm going off I’m the mind off fletcher and the flyers that he leaked that  

again you consistently have shown with GMs that make mistakes that you’ll use every excuses for them. you like to make to make excuses and throwaway any accountability for their mistakes. The difference between you and I is, I don’t give a flying F whatever excuse you want to make. The bottom line is, mandate or no mandate, he has done a poor job. the flyers are nosediving in the wrong direction. An explanation team had 1 less point then the flyers. Add on he’s making poor trades then compounding it by extending guys like risto because he made the poor trade and would have nothing to show for it if he let him walk. That hayes contract isn’t the only move that’s not worked out.  

The accumulation of his moves over his tenure are adding up in the wrong column. it’s very likely when the flyers miss the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive year, he’s likely getting fired. Frankly he should’ve been fired this year so that the new general manager could hire the guy he wants to hire. instead of next year when Fletcher likely gets fired and the new GM is likely gonna want to have his own head coach.

They didn't drastically overpay Hayes, it was a pre-COVID contract, based on the assumption the Cap would continue to rise over the life of the contract.

Hayes would be age 27-33 over the life of the contract.

Schenn got a similar deal at ages 29-36. He's a better player, but not by that much, given those last 3 years where he's older than Hayes at the end of his deal.

Or look at the other deals signed at the same time by Nelson and Lee on the Islanders.

26 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

image.jpeg.12996a52c4e9c8807f9c3a7545704897.jpeg

image.jpeg.13ecf833c798bd4647a515bfdd99931f.jpeg

Eagles to Browns runs in the family. 

DeShaun Watson when he sees they just got a female executive.

terrell-owens-blinking-dallas-cowboys.gi

You guys are spending more time thinking about the Flyers than Chuck Fletcher does

Unless you absolutely love hockey, I don’t know why anyone would even waste their time with the Flyers anymore. Find something productive to do with your time. Why waste it on a boring, rotten, nothing franchise that has no shot to win anything with your limited time on this earth? Imagine being like 75 and calculating that you spent thousands of hours of your life watching trash and realizing what else that could have been spent on.

59 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They didn't drastically overpay Hayes, it was a pre-COVID contract, based on the assumption the Cap would continue to rise over the life of the contract.

Hayes would be age 27-33 over the life of the contract.

Schenn got a similar deal at ages 29-36. He's a better player, but not by that much, given those last 3 years where he's older than Hayes at the end of his deal.

Or look at the other deals signed at the same time by Nelson and Lee on the Islanders.

Yes they did. They traded for his rights before free agency and were bidding against themselves. Literally the New York Rangers could have signed him before the season for $6 million a year. They didn’t do it, you want to know why? Because They thought that was overpay then and then decided to deal him to the jets midseason rather than give in to the overpaying of hayes. that $7.14 million is an overpay. And if you think the 7.14 mil isn’t an overpay, go look his numbers. They have gone from 41 points to 31 to 31 and this year he had issues staying healthy. 

nelson has been a much better investment than him. He’s also making just 6 mil a year as compared to 7.14 million. Also one less year on his contract. It is 1.14 mil every single year and with an extra year on top it for hayes. Furthermore since Nelson signed that contract he has had 2 50 point seasons to hayes 0 since signing. He also just had a 37 goal season. And he’s making $1 million less per year and ok a 6 year not 7 year contract. Hayes over the 4 year period prior to signing the contract had 10 point difference from Nelson, which is 2.5 points per season. However nelson was a better goal scorer over a 3 and 4 year window as compared to hayes. in 3 years leading into his contract he scored 64goals (21 per season average). Four years leading into the contract it was 90 goals (22.5 per year). Hayes was 56 in 3 years (19 goals per year). And 4 years it was 73 goals (18.25 goals per year average).  You think that’s worth the extra 7th year and 1.14 mil more per year hayes got? Cause most people would say no. Brock was similar to hayes, but better goal scorer. He got a 6 year rather than a 7 year and 1.14 mil less per season less than hayes. An extra year and mil per year isn’t some small overpay for similar players. Hayes contract should’ve been close to what Nelson’s was. It’s not by a added year and 1.14 mil per season more

Also Anders Lee was more productive prior to the contract than hayes. Before he got that contract, the 3 years leading up to that contract he had 51, 62 and 52 points. That’s 165 points. Kevin Hayes had 1 year of 50 points before his contract and was during his contract year and never reached 60 points or 3 consecutive seasons of 50 points. He had 148 points. Yet Lee still got paid less than hayes and was more productive over the 3 year window of time heading into his contract.  the 3 years leading into that contract Lee had 34, 40 and 28 goals scored, which is a total of 102 goals over that time and about 34 goals per year on average. So the thought was he could be close to a consistent 30 goal per season guy. That was never the case with hayes. hayes best year of his career was 25. He had just 56 goals over that same 3 year window. Which equates to about 19 goals per season. Goal scorers always get paid more. Hayes was not the goal scorer Lee showed nor had the upside Lee did as a goal scorer to justify paying him more than Lee or really as much as Lee. Except fletcher and the flyers traded for his rights prior to free agency and didn’t want to get burned by losing the pick with nothing to show for it. so they were forced to overpay for a less productive player and inferior goal scorer than what Lee was at that time. 

Rangers traded Hayes b/c they were starting a rebuild, 2018 TDL they traded Grabner, Nash, Graves, McDonagh and Miller, TDL 2019 they traded Hayes, Zuccarello, McQuaid.

Hayes 49, 44, 55 points before his new contract, Nelson 45, 35, 53. Nelson gave the Isles a resigning discount, could have gotten more in FA.

Lee signed a 7 year deal starting at age 29, not 27. 52, 62, 51 points the three years before his extension.  Better player but covers two more years into his mid-30s.

Archived