EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Ryan Ellis was another awful move by fletcher. He was injury prone prior to coming here. It’s why Nashville wanted to deal him. Now we are stuck with an injury prone older player for a few more years and compounded with the risto trade and extension. I’d add he also signed Kevin hayes to his contract. Everyone in the nhl laughed saying he wasn’t worth it. He even said only way he was coming here was an overpay. They overpaid and he’s not nearly worth what they are paying him. 

This exactly what I mean by tracing things back to Hextall. Because Hextall's ''rebuild'' never yielded high enough picks or the right picks it led to desperate moves by Fletcher. Had Hextall listened to his scouts and not drafted Nolan Patrick they might have Cale Makar right now and never would have needed to trade for Ellis. Or, had Patrick and/or Frost worked out and been even a 2nd line center, they never would have had to overpay for Hayes. I want to make it clear that Fletcher has made awful mistakes and shouldn't have a job. But his mistakes can be traced back to Hextall and making desperate moves to get out of the hole he left the team in.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

While this is amusing, it's also true Craig Berube is a Stanley Cup winning head coach in St. Louis.  Maybe these goons have more going on upstairs than just CTE.

I don't think it's a matter of smarts but a willingness to re-evaluate what makes a talented player.  Also, it would be one thing if they had a very good track record drafting and evaluating talent over the last decade but the reality is they haven't had a competitive team regularly since 2012.  They have had one team since then that has advance past the first round.  It's the longest such drought in the history of the team.  I mean in the early 90's the dry run was between runs to the finals.  

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

Lol, Holmgren is not the problem. His tenure ended badly basically on one move which may or may not have been the owner's call and that was Bryzgalov. Under Holmgren's tenure they were in the playoffs every year, made it to a SCF's, and made it to another ECF's. Not only was Holmgren not the problem his reign as GM was the last time the team was relevant.

The biggest problem was Hextall and he ultimately set the team back a decade. He tried to rebuild while also keeping the team's best players and winning at the same time which doesn't work. The result was a mediocre team that made the playoffs one year, missed the next, and never got high enough picks to get cornerstone talent for a rebuild. He also made a terrible coaching in Hakstol that he refused to fire, and the one big splash he made in free agency was to massively overpay JVR. Fletcher inherited a mess and tried get out of it way quickly and the problems just got even worse. Both Hextall and Fletcher are to blame and Fletcher shouldn't have a job. Make no mistake about it though, everyone's Flyers hero from 80's goalie Ron is by far the biggest reason this organization is in the absolutel mess that they are in.

Love hextall but he is part of the reason we are in this mess. Fletcher is also a reason we are in this mess. Risto trade was awful. I’d argue Ellis has a chance to actually be worse. It was known he was injury prone with a lengthy pricey contract and he was wrong side of 30. Now we are stuck in that contract and he’s played 49, 35 and 4 games the last 3 years. The value they traded for him wasn’t the issue. The issue was he was too injury prone, wrong side of 30 and owed a ton of money. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

See this is what really irks me. They should’ve just done a complete rebuild and not try to do it on the fly and build a contender. It wound up they couldn’t build a sustainable contender nor do a very good job rebuilding. They held onto giroux way too long. And they should’ve dealt voracek and simmonds earlier too. It would’ve helped with the guys they drafted and got prospects and picks to blend with them. Instead now we lack prospects due to poor drafting. And got little in return for giroux, voracek and simmonds. Plus made stupid deals last summer for Ryan Ellis who’s always hurt. 

Yep. Hextall thought he was some genius and he was going to rebuild and keep the team successful all at the same time and it set the franchise back 10 years. The small handful of Hextall fans left who defend his tenure as Flyers GM are the dumbest portion of the fanbase.

I want to see a video of Jordan Davis shooting on a Fisher Price hoop

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

This exactly what I mean by tracing things back to Hextall. Because Hextall's ''rebuild'' never yielded high enough picks or the right picks it led to desperate moves by Fletcher. Had Hextall listened to his scouts and not drafted Nolan Patrick they might have Cale Makar right now and never would have needed to trade for Ellis. Or, had Patrick and/or Frost worked out and been even a 2nd line center, they never would have had to overpay for Hayes. I want to make it clear that Fletcher has made awful mistakes and shouldn't have a job. But his mistakes can be traced back to Hextall and making desperate moves to get out of the hole he left the team in.

I was against the Nolan Patrick pick. Reading about him and Nico, if they weren’t getting Nico it felt like JVR all over again but with a different name. And JVR never panned out to what flyers thought when they drafted him here. I wanted a defenseman cause i think it’s harder to find good defensemen in FA so you better home grow and develop your own. And they really didn’t have a true no. 1 in the pipeline unless you believe provy was. I liked provy but i always saw him as a no. 2 guy that needed to be paired with a true no. 1 defenseman. 

Hextall’s bad decisions led to fletcher compounding and making bad moves. Fletcher definitely shouldn’t be here. The only move he got right last offseason was Atkinson for voracek. 

what makes it worse is the rangers rebuild was much quicker and smoother than the flyers. Flyers a couple years ago were boasting about their prospects and how great they were set up for the future. Meanwhile rangers are way further and their rebuild looks like a huge success. 

19 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Yep. Hextall thought he was some genius and he was going to rebuild and keep the team successful all at the same time and it set the franchise back 10 years. The small handful of Hextall fans left who defend his tenure as Flyers GM are the dumbest portion of the fanbase.

I feel like this discussion happened 4-5 years ago on here on the flyers board. What you are saying is what i said when they were doing simultaneous rebuild and cup contender. I thought it was dumb and should either blow it up cause the team was a pretender as constructed and more of a fringe playoff team or just needed to go all in and go for broke. I also thought going all in they needed some way to acquire a legitimate superstar with G and fix the d to get to that level if they were going all in. They never accomplished either. 

love hextall for what he was as a player. But the flyers GM helped put us in the spot we are in. The fact the rags rebuild has flourished and we are spiraling downward is on hextall and then fletcher for compounding the issue.

Also fletcher and the organization were stupid to tell giroux they wouldn’t re-sign him this summer so he demanded just Florida. Just say we are strongly considering doing so and in the offseason you can low ball him to the point he wouldn’t come back or on such a cheap deal it’s worth it. You can say don’t treat G that way but the flyers shouldn’t have had to promise to re-sign him this offseason for him to open up to other teams 

59 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Add 2 players to this team to make them SB contenders. I choose Herbert & TJ Watt.

J.C. Jackson and Nick Bosa.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Amazing to me that people ish on the job Hextall did.  He did a hell of lot better job at drafting than Fletcher.  It's just they didn't develop anyone, coaching was bad.  And they held on to Voracek and Giroux way too long. 

The biggest problem is the lack of a front man.  Owned by an entity with no real figure head to hold others accountable.  I am afraid they haven't hit rock bottom yet.  

Hextall wasn't that good.  

Your point about them being owned by a publicly traded company is spot on.  They are beholden to their stock holders.  Why the NHL allowed Comcast to buy them is beyond me.  

Take this ish to the Flyers thread. Freaking whities.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Guess Titans didn't watch our mess

Titans are post June 1 cutting tannehill next year or trading based off things Davenport (former Philly reporter) has been saying. They wanted out this year if they could’ve but there was no way with the dead money hit and zero cap savings as a post June 1 cut. 

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Take this ish to the Flyers thread. Freaking whities.

Hey you know what… you need to update your 2022 FA targets list with mathieu crossed out. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hey you know what… you need to update your 2022 FA targets list with mathieu crossed out. 

Thank you sir. Now, just can't wait until I can get a big ol' picture of Jordan Davis as my avatar.

Just now, Outlaw said:

Thank you sir. Now, just can't wait until I can get a big ol' picture of Jordan Davis as my avatar.

Thank god. 😵

1 hour ago, Texas Eagle said:

Add 2 players to this team to make them SB contenders. I choose Herbert & TJ Watt.

Titans’ AJ Brown would really help our passing game

and… hmm….

I’ll go with Panthers’ Haason Reddick for the pass rush. More of a stand-up edge rusher, but man he is productive.

40 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I want to see a video of Jordan Davis shooting on a Fisher Price hoop

I want to see a video of Davis throwing himself on Dak and Wentz. On repeat. 🪦

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Titans are post June 1 cutting tannehill next year or trading based off things Davenport (former Philly reporter) has been saying. They wanted out this year if they could’ve but there was no way with the dead money hit and zero cap savings as a post June 1 cut. 

Didn't know he was nearing the end of his contract

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Thank god. 😵

Still like mine better than yours, ya homophobe. You make yours on MS Paint?

Just now, Outlaw said:

Still like mine better than yours, ya homophobe. You make yours on MS Paint?

It’s art you philistine! 😄

1 hour ago, Texas Eagle said:

Ramsey and Joe Burrow 

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

I want to see a video of Davis throwing himself on Dak and Wentz. On repeat. 🪦

Look, i'm not going to kink shame. 

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Didn't know he was nearing the end of his contract

He has years left on it. But i just remember Turron Davenport was asked about Aaron rodgers said they’d really struggle to make something happen cause they are basically stuck with tannehill for another year unless they unload him like with Goff. Which to get rodgers they’d lose assets. And that the titans would love to move on from his contract this year but 2023 was always more realistic.  

Archived