The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

I think Lurie wants a passing offense so we go pass heavy and see if Hurts can do it. If he can't then he should be replaced. Pretty simple

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Anything over 28 attempts with hurts I feel would have negative returns 

4-7 in games with 28 or more attempts.

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I think Lurie wants a passing offense so we go pass heavy and see if Hurts can do it. If he can't then he should be replaced. Pretty simple

Yep, all the pressure is on Hurts this year.  He will not be protected by the running game this year.

I think we should give Julian Lurie some reps with the first team. He needs to learn every position.

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Lurie has been very clear publicly that he wants strong QB play, passing plays, an explosive offense that makes big plays and puts up points.  A lot of people think that's why early last season they were throwing so much, because they wanted to see if Hurts had the stuff.  It would make more sense to start off with a more balanced offense with more running plays and then open up the playbook for more passing plays in a 1st year of an offense with a 2nd year QB.  But they went pass heavy first, then adjusted when it wasn't working.  Will be interesting to see the plays called this year, especially adding AJ Brown.

• Like 2

Just now, NOTW said:

Lurie has been very clear publicly that he wants strong QB play, passing plays, an explosive offense that makes big plays and puts up points.  A lot of people think that's why early last season they were throwing so much, because they wanted to see if Hurts had the stuff.  It would make more sense to start off with a more balanced offense with more running plays and then open up the playbook for more passing plays in a 1st year of an offense with a 2nd year QB.  But they went pass heavy first, then adjusted when it wasn't working.  Will be interesting to see the plays called this year, especially adding AJ Brown.

Yep.  Based on Lurie's want, and the 100 million dollar contract and draft capital it cost to get that WR, this will be a passing offense, and if Hurts does not cut it, he will be replaced.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep.  Based on Lurie's want, and the 100 million dollar contract and draft capital it cost to get that WR, this will be a passing offense, and if Hurts does not cut it, he will be replaced.

But this is only his second year as a starter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And to Howie's credit, he's set them up with the two 1sts (I don't recall what other additional picks they have, another 2nd I think?) to trade up if they like a QB and are moving on from Hurts as a backup plan.

I just have this thought that is growinggg on me; Carson Strong will be the starting QB by midseason.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

I just have this thought that is growinggg on me; Carson Strong will be the starting QB by midseason.....

At mid season, do you go to Strong or Minshew first?

15 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Strong if you think he has the ceiling. Test him out. We are looking for a qb to lead a contender

minshew is fun but i think he is what he is at this point. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Jeffrey and Howie having to replace their prize isn't going to come easily. I imagine that unless Jalen is injured or looks REALLY bad, he'll get the season.  And look just barely good enough toward the end of the season to justify in Lowie's mind not replacing him.

Although Howie might see his UDFA QB becoming a legit starter for the Eagles as a huge feather in his cap, maybe bigger than Mailata.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

But according to people here,  Shane Steichen is the running game guru, and NS is the guy who was the passing guy. So keeping with SS would lean it towards run heavy again. 

Last year's offense was a product of last year's team. There's no plan to never grow and expand. 

29 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I have that number at 24

He's definitely a less is more kinda QB aka replaceable AF. You would never ask burrow to throw less in order to win 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:39 PM, brkmsn said:

It's totally understandable to be hesitant based on the playoff game. The reality of that game was that there was a steady strong wind and Tampa went all in defensively daring us to pass against the elements. I don't think that strategy would have worked on a nice day. But it worked that day. The Eagles (and Hurts) need to learn from that game and be prepared for that kind of scenario in the future. 

Lol.

Meanwhile this "strong wind" had no effect on the other offense and they managed to run their offense without impact.   I guess maybe that whole arm strength argument holds water afterall.  Imagine if they ever have to play a playoff game in the Northeast in January, that "steady strong wind" will become even stronger with bigger gusts than Tampa Bay!  

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Lol.

Meanwhile this "strong wind" had no effect on the other offense and they managed to run their offense without impact.   I guess maybe that whole arm strength argument holds water afterall.  Imagine if they ever have to play a playoff game in the Northeast in January, that "steady strong wind" will become even stronger with bigger gusts than Tampa Bay!  

It did have an effect on both teams as direction was a factor. Geographical location has nothing to do with it. 18-35 MPH winds are just as strong in Tampa Bay as they would be elsewhere. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It did have an effect on both teams as direction was a factor. Geographical location has nothing to do with it. 18-35 MPH winds are just as strong in Tampa Bay as they would be elsewhere. 

Hmm... so, he struggled in both directions...  Because they flip directions each quarter and he struggled mightily in both the first and second... and third quarters. 

BTW, I think you are exaggerating the impact the wind had in that game.   Go back and rewatch it and see how impactful (or not) the wind was.   This wasn't the Bills versus Patriots 1st regular season game.  The wind was barely mentioned and didn't seem to impact a single throw of significance. 

For comparison: 

664014508_ScreenShot2022-06-10at7_44_14AM.png.d50a36bf1de7a05ae7b2baaac91fab62.png

vs.

235949746_ScreenShot2022-06-10at7_44_06AM.png.23b6cd98600c1b5dd71af48ad3821737.png

7 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Meanwhile this "strong wind" had no effect on the other offense and they managed to run their offense without impact.

Bucs yards by quarter

1st 157

2nd 47

3rd 104

4th 46

So out of the Bucs 354 yards, 261 of them were in the first and third quarters, or 75 percent, but their offense wasn't impacted by the weather. Really.  

• 2 weeks later...

No news about Carson Strong, Minshew, Sinnett, or EJ Perry down in Jagsville.

No stories out of OTA’s on b-ball shooting competitions on the playschool hoop.

Nothing to see here.

For the backup QB haters:

Which  of the backup QBs would you gladly trade to Dallas?

I wouldn’t send them Minshew or Strong.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:01 AM, jsb235 said:

Bucs yards by quarter

1st 157

2nd 47

3rd 104

4th 46

So out of the Bucs 354 yards, 261 of them were in the first and third quarters, or 75 percent, but their offense wasn't impacted by the weather. Really.  

Eagles 2nd quarter, with the wind, 84 yards.

Bucs 4th quarter, they were up 31-0 and were not needing to sustain drives any longer.

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Eagles 2nd quarter, with the wind, 84 yards.

Bucs 4th quarter, they were up 31-0 and were not needing to sustain drives any longer.

You make it sound like we never had a shot! We had a future MVP candidate in a game with bad winds! Obviously he could run us to victory ...oh wait you mean a running QB doesn't work when it matters? Like what most of us have been saying?! I'm shocked 

On 6/8/2022 at 6:15 AM, Jeep_man said:

On 6/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, brkmsn said:

Last year's offense was a product of last year's team. There's no plan to never grow and expand. 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:33 PM, CouchKing said:

Lol - at mid-season, the Eagles will be playing well and Hurts will be having a good to very good season. Strong will be protecting his knees with an ice pack and clipboard as QB3.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol - at mid-season, the Eagles will be playing well and Hurts will be having a good to very good season. Strong will be protecting his knees with an ice pack and clipboard as QB3.

If all goes well, we beat Dallas in week 6 or whatever and are in cruise control by mid season.

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

If all goes well, we beat Dallas in week 6 or whatever and are in cruise control by mid season.

Cruise control going into the harder part of the season with 11 games left to go?