The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

Nick also only babied Hurts when it became clear after multiple weeks that he could not execute the offense

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

I put no weight in what they say they arent going to torpedo him

Maybe Cunningham won't, but McNabb wasn't shy about criticizing Wentz while he was an Eagle. 

McNabb and Hurts have an eerily similar NFL beginning. Both came out of college as dual-threat QBs. Neither was widely accepted initially as a popular draft pick by the fan base. Both began as backups as rookies and were granted occasional spot-play until they eventually replaced the starter late in the season. Both led their team to the playoffs in their second season. The teams around them are different and Hurts is on his 2nd HC and OC already, but they still compare favorably in their career paths. 

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

Nick also only babied Hurts when it became clear after multiple weeks that he could not execute the offense

It also became clear our defense was a complete liability and if we didn't start controlling the clock, they would be tired and even less effective. This system wasn't just a product of the QB it was a product of the whole team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think what typically happens is that as fans of the Eagles, most of us sit through everything. We watch every game, every play --- sometimes every miserable play. When we see players from other teams, it's a smaller play sample and sometimes it's just from highlights. So people create these perceptions that players on other teams are more perfect than players on our own team. It's the grass is always greener perspective. From afar, that grass does look greener, but when you inspect it up close, you see all the bare spots and imperfections. 

To an extent I agree with you. Hurts made some really good throws last year. Going into the playoff game, he had a much better standing. The playoff game is what turned public opinion. 20 games into his career we wanted to see something out of that game. If the game had been close and we had a shot the rhetoric would be different. Instead he threw 2 pics and had at least 3 that i remember being dropped.

The problem was that he was totally shut down in that game until the Bucs went into prevent in the 4th quarter. He did well with them playing 10 yards off the receivers.

Hurts was working on his mechanics last year and he was improving late in the year. He just dropped the ball on the biggest stage. It made me question whether all this waiting is worth it because the good ones tend to show you something in the biggest games and he showed absolutely nothing.

11 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Maybe Cunningham won't, but McNabb wasn't shy about criticizing Wentz while he was an Eagle. 

McNabb and Hurts have an eerily similar NFL beginning. Both came out of college as dual-threat QBs. Neither was widely accepted initially as a popular draft pick by the fan base. Both began as backups as rookies and were granted occasional spot-play until they eventually replaced the starter late in the season. Both led their team to the playoffs in their second season. The teams around them are different and Hurts is on his 2nd HC and OC already, but they still compare favorably in their career paths. 

Mcnabb was a top pick with a cannon arm. He was never an anticipation thrower but had the arm to somewhat compensate. Hurts is nothing close. He wasnt intended to be the franchise and i suspect they know that he cant be. This roster is obviously designed to add a qb on a cheap rookie contract next year

hurts was a mid round project that was over drafted by our dumb ass owner. A backup, as they even admitted.

4 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

To an extent I agree with you. Hurts made some really good throws last year. Going into the playoff game, he had a much better standing. The playoff game is what turned public opinion. 20 games into his career we wanted to see something out of that game. If the game had been close and we had a shot the rhetoric would be different. Instead he threw 2 pics and had at least 3 that i remember being dropped.

The problem was that he was totally shut down in that game until the Bucs went into prevent in the 4th quarter. He did well with them playing 10 yards off the receivers.

Hurts was working on his mechanics last year and he was improving late in the year. He just dropped the ball on the biggest stage. It made me question whether all this waiting is worth it because the good ones tend to show you something in the biggest games and he showed absolutely nothing.

It's totally understandable to be hesitant based on the playoff game. The reality of that game was that there was a steady strong wind and Tampa went all in defensively daring us to pass against the elements. I don't think that strategy would have worked on a nice day. But it worked that day. The Eagles (and Hurts) need to learn from that game and be prepared for that kind of scenario in the future. 

12 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Mcnabb was a top pick with a cannon arm. He was never an anticipation thrower but had the arm to somewhat compensate. Hurts is nothing close. He wasnt intended to be the franchise and i suspect they know that he cant be. This roster is obviously designed to add a qb on a cheap rookie contract next year

hurts was a mid round project that was over drafted by our dumb ass owner. A backup, as they even admitted.

Hurts' arm is closer to Wilson's than McNabb's, but what good is a rocket arm if it's mostly used to kill worms?

On 5/22/2022 at 11:28 PM, Vileborg said:

On 5/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, brkmsn said:

It's totally understandable to be hesitant based on the playoff game. The reality of that game was that there was a steady strong wind and Tampa went all in defensively daring us to pass against the elements. I don't think that strategy would have worked on a nice day. But it worked that day. The Eagles (and Hurts) need to learn from that game and be prepared for that kind of scenario in the future. 

I’m not going to defend Hurts’s play in the playoff game. He sucked. But a lot of more established QBs sucked too in playoff losses.

Before that game the majority consensus on the board was let’s see what Hurts does in 2022.

After the game, the Hurts haters have taken over the board pretty much. But it’s an overreaction to one game. The correct course always has been give Hurts another year to develop and if he can’t do it, move on next year.

The D should be improve. The WR corps should be much improved.

Hurts was 23 last year and was always viewed as a developmental QB. The Eagles have put him in a great place to succeed this year. Let’s see how he does.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:30 PM, eglz1 said:

I think in Hurts' case it may take 5 or 6 years. Maybe 7?

Will he still be a rookie?

• Haha 1

Is Hurts going to be the next Mcnabb or the next Mariota? 

I think he needs to win at least one playoff game this year to avoid becoming a Mariota.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Will he still be a rookie?

Of course! By then he'll have quite a lot of personnel turn over so it'll be just like his 1st season.

😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Is Hurts going to be the next Mcnabb or the next Mariota? 

I think he needs to win at least one playoff game this year to avoid becoming a Mariota.

Mariota was 26tds to 9ints his second year with a tremendous backfield and not great receivers. Hurts needs to definitely be better than Mariota second year to get another shot to start imo 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m not going to defend Hurts’s play in the playoff game. He sucked. But a lot of more established QBs sucked too in playoff losses.

Before that game the majority consensus on the board was let’s see what Hurts does in 2022.

After the game, the Hurts haters have taken over the board pretty much. But it’s an overreaction to one game. The correct course always has been give Hurts another year to develop and if he can’t do it, move on next year.

The D should be improve. The WR corps should be much improved.

Hurts was 23 last year and was always viewed as a developmental QB. The Eagles have put him in a great place to succeed this year. Let’s see how he does.

No, it's not an overreaction. He sucks and can only dunk on a 5 foot net or he gets his ass kicked. 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, jsb235 said:

This is such a strange argument. There is plenty of evidence that qbs with a similar profile to Hurts have been successful in the NFL. Steve McNair. Kordell Stewart. Cam Newton. Russell Wilson.

Look at Wilson specifically. In his first season as a starter, the Seahawks were last in the league in pass attempts, 27th in passing yards,  and first in the league in rushing. The year they won the Super Bowl they were second to last in the league in passing attempts, 26th in passing yards and top five in rushing.

In fact, the Eagles ranked higher in yards per game last year with Hurts (14th) than the Seahawks did with Wilson in 2013 (17th).

Rolling with Hurts isn't a lottery ticket, it's following a blueprint that won a team a Super Bowl less than 10 years ago.  

The thing to me about using Russell Wilson as an example is if Seattle didn't have the "Legion of Boom", I wonder if many of us would remember Russell Wilson. Seattle - and Wilson - would likely be remembered as mediocre. Sure, Wilson is good today- we'll see how good he is on a different team and after how many years?

On 5/31/2022 at 11:45 AM, eglz1 said:

The thing to me about using Russell Wilson as an example is if Seattle didn't have the "Legion of Boom", I wonder if many of us would remember Russell Wilson. Seattle - and Wilson - would likely be remembered as mediocre. Sure, Wilson is good today- we'll see how good he is on a different team and after how many years?

So, now Jalen Hurts is gonna be Super Bowl winning Russell Wilson?

Getting a little ahead of ourselves?

On 5/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, brkmsn said:

Now Hurts is on track to be Donovan McNabb...

What delusional bullsheet?!

2 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Hurts is gonna be a Super Bowl winner? No, I never implied such a thing. Rather, I'm saying if not for Seattle's "Legion of Boom", Russell Wilson might well not be as highly regarded as he is.

Now Hurts is on track to be Donovan McNabb...

What delusional bullsheet?!

... says the guy proudly sporting a fake Carson Strong  jersey avatar. 

I forgot to add: Both McNabb and Hurts, as the Eagles' starter have a vocal portion of the fan base that builds up their inferior backup QBs as deities.

40 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I forgot to add: Both McNabb and Hurts, as the Eagles' starter have a vocal portion of the fan base that builds up their inferior backup QBs as deities.

If you actually think you can compare Hurts to THE #5 then you are delusional. McNabb had elite athletic ability AND ELITE arm talent. Man's win loss record is insane and won quite a bit with far less than Hurts started with. Mcnabbs top receivers other than TO were gadget #3 players elsewhere. Hurts had Smith, Ertz/Goedert and the #1 line and run game and only threw 16tds. McNabbs first full season as a starter won 11 games and then continued to win the vast majority of the games he started for the next five years and never had a losing record in any season he started 10 or more games until his season with Washington. Man deserves a lot more respect that to ever be compared to a third year rookie who thinks his legs are how you win in this league. McNabb may never make the HoF, but he is QB #1 in the hall of very very very good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

And, I have a #5 jersey. Hurts ain't #5.

I also have a #7 Vick jersey.

And, I think Hurts sucks.

• Like 1