The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

If you actually think you can compare Hurts to THE #5 then you are delusional. McNabb had elite athletic ability AND ELITE arm talent. Man's win loss record is insane and won quite a bit with far less than Hurts started with. Mcnabbs top receivers other than TO were gadget #3 players elsewhere. Hurts had Smith, Ertz/Goedert and the #1 line and run game and only threw 16tds. McNabbs first full season as a starter won 11 games and then continued to win the vast majority of the games he started for the next five years and never had a losing record in any season he started 10 or more games until his season with Washington. Man deserves a lot more respect that to ever be compared to a third year rookie who thinks his legs are how you win in this league. McNabb may never make the HoF, but he is QB #1 in the hall of very very very good. 

THE #5 has nothing but good things to say about Hurts. You keep bringing up 16 (passing) TDs as if that matters at all. It doesn't. Our offense averaged 26.1 points per game. led the NFL in "big plays, had a top 10 red zone offense, was 4th in the NFL in 3rd down conversions, averaged 7.3 yards per attempt passing. We all know McNabb had forgettable WRs for much of his early career. He had better pass-catching RBs by far. He also had Chad Lewis who made All Pro once and went to 3 Pro Bowls. He played in a WCO and had a career completion % of 59%. 

"No, you have your quarterback,” McNabb said. "You just have to continue to stay patient with him and allow him to get comfortable knowing what the situation is. I guarantee next year, it’ll be a whole different ball club because of what they’ve done this year, the way they’ve played and now I think everyone understands what they have to work on going forward.”

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

THE #5 has nothing but good things to say about Hurts. You keep bringing up 16 (passing) TDs as if that matters at all. It doesn't. Our offense averaged 26.1 points per game. led the NFL in "big plays, had a top 10 red zone offense, was 4th in the NFL in 3rd down conversions, averaged 7.3 yards per attempt passing. We all know McNabb had forgettable WRs for much of his early career. He had better pass-catching RBs by far. He also had Chad Lewis who made All Pro once and went to 3 Pro Bowls. He played in a WCO and had a career completion % of 59%. 

"No, you have your quarterback,” McNabb said. "You just have to continue to stay patient with him and allow him to get comfortable knowing what the situation is. I guarantee next year, it’ll be a whole different ball club because of what they’ve done this year, the way they’ve played and now I think everyone understands what they have to work on going forward.”

And still beat zero playoff teams because of context. easy to be a big play offense playing from way behind in the late 3rd, all of 4th quarter. Having 4 of your 16tds (25% of total) after the games were over is a joke. I have no problem giving credit for the third down conversion rate and RedZone scoring. It's where his legs shine through...problem is neither of those two can be sustainable with just his legs for very long. He faced prevent defenses enough to pad his numbers to be help be below average at the end of the season

Sirianni hasn't babied Hurts by simplifying the passing game as much as he's devised the offense around Hurts' crutch. McNabb hated being called a running QB, but that was clearly his strength. McNabb left a lot of plays on the field later in his career by choosing not to run (in an effort to change the perception about him). 

Maybe McNabb quit running so much because he didn't wish to repeat 2006 or his other years with games missed due to injury. Running backs often get injured, it's why RBs tend to have short careers. Quarterbacks are protected to some extent - -  as long as they stay behind the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

And still beat zero playoff teams because of context. easy to be a big play offense playing from way behind in the late 3rd, all of 4th quarter. Having 4 of your 16tds (25% of total) after the games were over is a joke. I have no problem giving credit for the third down conversion rate and RedZone scoring. It's where his legs shine through...problem is neither of those two can be sustainable with just his legs for very long. He faced prevent defenses enough to pad his numbers to be help be below average at the end of the season

You guys and your stale argument try to make it seem like the Eagles invented playing from behind. It happens to all teams and all players, and all stats include times where individual players "padded" stats. Some teams call runs on obvious passing downs. Some teams pass when they obviously should be running the clock down.  We had a winning record last year and likely would have had 10 wins if we didn't rest our starters in game 17. Some of our losses were a defensive stop away from being a potential win. Not every situation where we were out of contention late in a game meant we were playing a prevent defense. Sometimes teams just keep doing what they do. We had a big lead against Denver and padded our rushing stats in the 2nd half as we only attempted 3 passes after the 2nd quarter. Who cares?

20 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

You guys and your stale argument try to make it seem like the Eagles invented playing from behind. It happens to all teams and all players, and all stats include times where individual players "padded" stats. Some teams call runs on obvious passing downs. Some teams pass when they obviously should be running the clock down.  We had a winning record last year and likely would have had 10 wins if we didn't rest our starters in game 17. Some of our losses were a defensive stop away from being a potential win. Not every situation where we were out of contention late in a game meant we were playing a prevent defense. Sometimes teams just keep doing what they do. We had a big lead against Denver and padded our rushing stats in the 2nd half as we only attempted 3 passes after the 2nd quarter. Who cares?

Bahahaha Dallas had our number last year. Zero shot of that. Hurts isn't built to throw you to a lead, and had zero touchdowns in the teams two game winning drives this season (Carolina and game 16 Washington)....actually threw zero TDs for the games and 1 int. Dude isn't good. Now he is surrounded by talent that may carry his lame ass into the playoffs while looking extremely pedestrian and you will run your Hurts poster on the wall proclaiming "nobody can hurt you now" .... 

10 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Bahahaha Dallas had our number last year. Zero shot of that. Hurts isn't built to throw you to a lead, and had zero touchdowns in the teams two game winning drives this season (Carolina and game 16 Washington)....actually threw zero TDs for the games and 1 int. Dude isn't good. Now he is surrounded by talent that may carry his lame ass into the playoffs while looking extremely pedestrian and you will run your Hurts poster on the wall proclaiming "nobody can hurt you now" .... 

Don't forget "the weak schedule" also, while you attempt to downplay any noticeable improvement he shows in 2022. I'm glad you guys aren't afraid to tip your cards. 

Oh ... and for the record ... Hurts hasn't won me over yet. I never supported benching Wentz (2020 was a miserable year for the entire team and only one player was benched (and by benched, I mean replaced for the remainder of the season). But since the team decided to go that route, the inevitable happened. The next man up was Hurts. He's not as far along as an NFL QB as Wentz was (at the time of his benching) , but he is making progress. The reason I defend him is because I think a lot of the arguments people use here against him are just plain stupid. We can keep starting over every year and trash the next guy and the next guy and the next guy for exactly the same reasons people are trashing Hurts. Since I believe QBs take several years to develop, I'm not concerned with where Hurts is at this point. He showed improvement last year, as did the team. As long as improvement continues, I'm on board. That doesn't mean I don't expect a bad game now and then. Every HOF QB that I have seen in my lifetime has had their fair share of bad games.

All I can say is that I'm excited about this upcoming season. I can't wait to see this team play real games. If having Hurts as my team's starting QB was as bad as some of you make it out to be, I'd just quit watching professional football. Heck, I don't even understand why some of you watch regular season games since they are "meaningless."

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Don't forget "the weak schedule" also, while you attempt to downplay any noticeable improvement he shows in 2022. I'm glad you guys aren't afraid to tip your cards. 

Oh ... and for the record ... Hurts hasn't won me over yet. I never supported benching Wentz (2020 was a miserable year for the entire team and only one player was benched (and by benched, I mean replaced for the remainder of the season). But since the team decided to go that route, the inevitable happened. The next man up was Hurts. He's not as far along as an NFL QB as Wentz was (at the time of his benching) , but he is making progress. The reason I defend him is because I think a lot of the arguments people use here against him are just plain stupid. We can keep starting over every year and trash the next guy and the next guy and the next guy for exactly the same reasons people are trashing Hurts. Since I believe QBs take several years to develop, I'm not concerned with where Hurts is at this point. He showed improvement last year, as did the team. As long as improvement continues, I'm on board. That doesn't mean I don't expect a bad game now and then. Every HOF QB that I have seen in my lifetime has had their fair share of bad games.

All I can say is that I'm excited about this upcoming season. I can't wait to see this team play real games. If having Hurts as my team's starting QB was as bad as some of you make it out to be, I'd just quit watching professional football. Heck, I don't even understand why some of you watch regular season games since they are "meaningless."

What has he improved on? What makes it even worth trying to develop him? Is it his running ability?

What recent QBs are currently in development by other teams? I'm not sure that old saying is true anymore

The qb stats from Fridays practice

Hurts, 9 of 11, two TDs, 0 Ints

Minshew, 6 of 7, 0 TDs, 0 Ints

Strong, 1 of 2, 0 TDs, 0 Ints

Sinnett took third team reps but couldn't find anything about his day except both he and Strong had a pass broken by a safety.

As far as Hurts, obviously not a lot to be taken from one practice, but the beat reporters said he looked more comfortable than last year, working the middle of the field and taking more deep shots. I seem to remember the feeling last year during training camp was that he didn't really let the ball fly during these periods, so the fact that he is more comfortable doing this is a good sign.

Obviously 7v7 in shorts is a long way from live action, but the fact that he looks better in shorts now than he did in training camp is a good sign.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, brkmsn said:

Its only weak with good-great QB play....I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk early as much as everyone is believing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

Sinnett took third team reps but couldn't find anything about his day except both he and Strong had a pass broken by a safety.

As far as Hurts, obviously not a lot to be taken from one practice, but the beat reporters said he looked more comfortable than last year, working the middle of the field and taking more deep shots. I seem to remember the feeling last year during training camp was that he didn't really let the ball fly during these periods, so the fact that he is more comfortable doing this is a good sign.

Obviously 7v7 in shorts is a long way from live action, but the fact that he looks better in shorts now than he did in training camp is a good sign.

Hurts will always look more comfortable without people rushing him and knowing exactly where he is supposed to throw the ball instead of having to make quick decisions or read a defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Hurts will always look more comfortable without people rushing him and knowing exactly where he is supposed to throw the ball instead of having to make quick decisions or read a defense.

This is an apples to apples comparison. Hurts looked better in the drills yesterday than he did in the exact same drills last year, according to the people who watched the practice. So this is a good thing, not someone peeing on your head and telling you it's raining.

17 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

This is an apples to apples comparison. Hurts looked better in the drills yesterday than he did in the exact same drills last year, according to the people who watched the practice. So this is a good thing, not someone peeing on your head and telling you it's raining.

Awesome to hear he looks better in practice throwing to a set spot. I mean the bar is freaking low for this guy going into his third year in the NFL.

35 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

You can replace the name "Hurts" with any QB name and the same statement is true. 

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk early as much as everyone is believing 

Me neither. If we come out pass happy like the first 7 weeks of last season, i could easily see us being 2-4 going into the bye with losses to MIN, WAS, ARI & DAL. I wouldnt sleep on the Jags either. All three of their wins last year came against above .500 teams in the Dolphins, Bills & Colts. Only team we beat over .500 last year was the Saints with Trevor Siemian as the starter. 

Jags backup QB was carried off from practice on a stretcher the other day. Its only hypothetical but if the Jags call would you trade Gardner Moustache for a 4/conditional 3? Or would you wait until some other team's starter goes down who will be more desperate?  

On 6/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, jsb235 said:

OMG Strong is a bust. We wasted so much draft capital on him. We need to take the bullet and cut our losses.

• Haha 3

On 6/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, KDUB1510 said:

Me neither. If we come out pass happy like the first 7 weeks of last season, i could easily see us being 2-4 going into the bye with losses to MIN, WAS, ARI & DAL. I wouldnt sleep on the Jags either. All three of their wins last year came against above .500 teams in the Dolphins, Bills & Colts. Only team we beat over .500 last year was the Saints with Trevor Siemian as the starter. 

We won't go pass happy, but doesn't mean we won't fall 14 behind to them and game over like last year. This style of play has no comeback power 

1 minute ago, Vileborg said:

OMG Strong is a bust. We wasted so much draft capital on him. We need to take the bullet and cut our losses.

Where in my post was I critical of Strong?

13 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Where in my post was I critical of Strong?

It was a joke, lol. 50% completion percentage. Dripping with sarcasm. Wasted draft capital!

2 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

It was a joke, lol. 50% completion percentage. Dripping with sarcasm. Wasted draft capital!

Ahhh, sorry.

I actually like Strong. He had really good tape from 2020, and probably cost himself a lot by playing last year. Which may have not been a great decision from a professional perspective, but I admire a guy who put the team before himself. The Eagles would be smart to redshirt him this year and then see where his knee is next year. The league is full of guys who get the ball out fast, so he's a gamble worth taking.   

42 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

We won't go pass happy, but doesn't mean we won't fall 14 behind to them and game over like last year. This style of play has no comeback power 

What's pass happy in your opinion? Through the first 7 games of last season, Hurts averaged 34 attempts per game. Maybe we wont throw the ball THAT much but i still expect 28-32 attempts per game. Honestly i think anything less than 30 attempts per game is a travesty considering the money/draft capital we have invested in pass catchers. Hopefully the defense is much improved and we dont fall into 14 point deficits against good teams/QB's

3 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

What's pass happy in your opinion? Through the first 7 games of last season, Hurts averaged 34 attempts per game. Maybe we wont throw the ball THAT much but i still expect 28-32 attempts per game. Honestly i think anything less than 30 attempts per game is a travesty considering the money/draft capital we have invested in pass catchers. Hopefully the defense is much improved and we dont fall into 14 point deficits against good teams/QB's

Anything over 28 attempts with hurts I feel would have negative returns 

• Like 2

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Anything over 28 attempts with hurts I feel would have negative returns 

Same and that's exactly what i expect through the first 6 games. 30+ attempts and it wont look pretty. Smitty had 1 TD through those first 7 games, Ertz had 2, Goedert had 2 & Quez had 0. No reason to stick with Hurts all season if thats the output for AJB, Smitty, Goedert & Quez through the first 6 this year. I have no doubt in my mind that Minshew would produce more and probably Strong too

4 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Same and that's exactly what i expect through the first 6 games. 30+ attempts and it wont look pretty. Smitty had 1 TD through those first 7 games, Ertz had 2, Goedert had 2 & Quez had 0. No reason to stick with Hurts all season if thats the output for AJB, Smitty, Goedert & Quez through the first 6 this year. I have no doubt in my mind that Minshew would produce more and probably Strong too

The fact that minshew averages almost 2 TDS a game he starts for his career and is on a bench is insane and nobody can tell me otherwise. His stats are impressive without context, and even more with 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1