The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Since they put up offers to both Strong and Perry, it was clear they didn't expect to have both agree. I'm not sure who the other teams swaying him were, but he must have liked the situation here since we haven't committed long term to anybody contractually yet. Strong will definitely make preseason games worth watching (just to see if he lives up to the hype). If he can impress and make Minshew expendable, we might be able to deal Minshew for a net gain. 

I am irrationally excited about these preseason games. But they should be cautious with him, don’t just throw him to the wolves in these games like he’s McGloin or Thorson. I expect them to use Sinnett there for this reason depending on how training camp shakes out.

But if his play there is anything like his Senior Bowl and Combine performance (except for that great midfield pass to Cole Turner on 3rd down) I’m switching to an AJ Brown avatar faster than you can say "RPO”

41 minutes ago, Kwahu said:

There is also a reason the Birds apparently gave Strong near the max you can give a UDFA, which implies they both value him enough AND they were competing with other teams. The injury history definitely pushed him down, but not to the extent teams wrote him off for good. Otherwise he’d just be trying to make practice squads on a prayer.

All 32 teams have their reasons for not drafting guys. It doesn’t mean they de facto value UDFAs less or as afterthoughts. It’s more likely part of their draft boards and strategy. Change one or two things in a season for any team (injury, losing player to free agency, off field or contract drama, etc) and a guy they might normally sign as a UDFA probably ends up being taken during the draft and vice versa.

Just checking stats… in 2016, 20% of UDFAs ended up making rosters. That’s probably even higher with the pandemic seasons now.

21 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Since they put up offers to both Strong and Perry, it was clear they didn't expect to have both agree. I'm not sure who the other teams swaying him were, but he must have liked the situation here since we haven't committed long term to anybody contractually yet. Strong will definitely make preseason games worth watching (just to see if he lives up to the hype). If he can impress and make Minshew expendable, we might be able to deal Minshew for a net gain. 

For sure the Birds liked him and they probably had competition. But QB is the most valuable position in the NFL. Even if teams believed that Strong was likely to be just a good back-up, they would have spent a pick on him. 

I know that there are a lot of Strong fans on this board, but clearly there was something fairly major that caused 32 teams to ignore him for the entire draft. 

As you rightly say, they should be slow with him and make sure he is healthy and protected. It would be great if he could make the team and potentially develop into a good back-up and potentially down the line, more.

11 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

For sure the Birds liked him and they probably had competition. But QB is the most valuable position in the NFL. Even if teams believed that Strong was likely to be just a good back-up, they would have spent a pick on him. 

I know that there are a lot of Strong fans on this board, but clearly there was something fairly major that caused 32 teams to ignore him for the entire draft. 

As you rightly say, they should be slow with him and make sure he is healthy and protected. It would be great if he could make the team and potentially develop into a good back-up and potentially down the line, more.

While that is true about QBs, I think we have to allow that these past seasons with covid have shaken up the draft class to where UDFAs are more valuable than normal, as well as being a much bigger class overall.

So not just the injury history, the size of the class also worked against Strong’s draft odds. Combine that with those rumors that he interviewed poorly and interested teams decided to gamble on getting him as a UDFA. But I wonder if the Eagles didn’t believe those rumors, similar to the Nakobe Dean thing. I think if this were a smaller non covid draft class a team absolutely takes him on Day 3 despite the knee concerns.

I would be very interested in knowing how many other teams were in the mix, but we will likely never know.

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

We hear about the knee all the time, but there was also a pretty forgettable Senior Bowl performance. 

• Like 1

The main reasons I am so hyped about the kid is his passing skills, his game tape, and the fact we have an elite OL and possibly elite receiver corps perfectly tailored to a pocket passing QB. Lurie speaks a lot about his desire to pass pass pass, and here we have a contender for making that kind of offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwahu said:

But if his play there is anything like his Senior Bowl and Combine performance (except for that great midfield pass to Cole Turner on 3rd down) I’m switching to an AJ Brown avatar faster than you can say "RPO”

He wasnt good in the Senior Bowl but that was also around the 1 year mark from his last surgery. The recovery time was a year and he came back 6 months early and played on it while wearing a brace. He wasnt wearing the brace at the Senior Bowl/combine and it's possible his leg wasn't completely comfortable at that point. The Senior Bowl was almost 6 months ago so it's possible his knee is alot healthier now than it was then. Eager to see what reporters say about how he's moving/throwing at camp. 

47 minutes ago, Kwahu said:

The main reasons I am so hyped about the kid is his passing skills, his game tape, and the fact we have an elite OL and possibly elite receiver corps perfectly tailored to a pocket passing QB. Lurie speaks a lot about his desire to pass pass pass, and here we have a contender for making that kind of offense.

He averaged 43 attempts per game last year and 39 the year before. The most Hurts ever averaged in college was 25. Strong is more equipped to handle a high volume passing offense. Out of 130 qualifiers, Nevada ranked 129th in rushing yards per game and had a bottom 12 pass blocking unit. His best weapons werent drafted until the 4th and 5th round. I'd love to see what he could do with a healthy knee, an elite NFL Oline with Brown, Smitty, Quez & Goedert as his pass catchers. He's definitely a long shot but i believe he has the skillset and supporting cast to be a good player should he get an opportunity. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Strong will be someone to watch in pre-season.  Even he shows something promising, doubtful they will drop Minshew for him as #2 QB.  Strong is unproven in NFL games, it would be too much to get him in games when needed and expect him to win.  Minshew is not setting the NFL on fire, but he has played in real NFL games and won a few.  He is also with the system for couple of seasons.  Coaches will trust him over Strong.  If plays well, Strong could be the #3 QB or stashed at PS for a season to get healthy and learn.

Minshew will be starting by November / December.

Eagles ride Minshew into the playoffs for a run at the SB.

• Like 2

Even if Strong can become Jake Delhomme it’s a home run signing. 

On 7/25/2022 at 6:21 PM, Kwahu said:

There is also a reason the Birds apparently gave Strong near the max you can give a UDFA, which implies they both value him enough AND they were competing with other teams. The injury history definitely pushed him down, but not to the extent teams wrote him off for good. Otherwise he’d just be trying to make practice squads on a prayer.

All 32 teams have their reasons for not drafting guys. It doesn’t mean they de facto value UDFAs less or as afterthoughts. It’s more likely part of their draft boards and strategy. Change one or two things in a season for any team (injury, losing player to free agency, off field or contract drama, etc) and a guy they might normally sign as a UDFA probably ends up being taken during the draft and vice versa.

Just checking stats… in 2016, 20% of UDFAs ended up making rosters. That’s probably even higher with the pandemic seasons now.

Someone, Howie? - I don't recall who - said as much. Whoever it was said there would be free agents this year that most years would have been drafted. It's understandable that teams were wary of Strong's knee prognosis.  It'll be interesting what if anything comes out during camp. Unless the Eagles put a blackout on Carson Strong news to preclude any Quarterback controversies. But wait, that can't be it. We were assured that Hurts was not afraid of competition and would welcome it.

5 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Unless the Eagles put a blackout on Carson Strong news to preclude any Quarterback controversies. But wait, that can't be it. We were assured that Hurts was not afraid of competition and would welcome it.

Did you just convince yourself that this happened in the future?

8 minutes ago, Fresh_Prince said:

The legend of EJ Perry will be eternal thanks to this thread

We will follow his career closely.

One day, he could be a backup QB for the Eagles.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Looks like a conspiracy to blackout news on Carson Strong.

Media guys are on the take.

Howie puts out a fantastic buffet.

I think it's safe to say QB1 has the worst throwing motion of all the QB's. They said he worked on it with Tom House this offseason but it still looks the same to me. Really elongated and unnatural looking. Causes him to wind up on every throw. 20220727_204914.jpg.83f677155b85d304d26d2460563b8fad.jpg20220727_205014.jpg.8faeaa1d3bbdb7d4451201239fb6e085.jpg20220727_205142.jpg.1a676e623ea884874844143d45594a70.jpg20220727_205329.jpg.694000fcf59d1956fc774c320c3b7526.jpg

1 minute ago, KDUB1510 said:

I think it's safe to say QB1 has the worst throwing motion of all the QB's. They said he worked on it with Tom House this offseason but it still looks the same to me. Really elongated and unnatural looking. Causes him to wind up on every throw. 20220727_204914.jpg.83f677155b85d304d26d2460563b8fad.jpg20220727_205014.jpg.8faeaa1d3bbdb7d4451201239fb6e085.jpg20220727_205142.jpg.1a676e623ea884874844143d45594a70.jpg20220727_205329.jpg.694000fcf59d1956fc774c320c3b7526.jpg

Agreed.  No noticeable difference

On 7/26/2022 at 5:44 PM, 20dawk4life said:

Even if Strong can become Jake Delhomme it’s a home run signing. 

Delhomme would be an awesome ceiling, very Foles like. The Panthers would have won that Super Bowl if not for what I still think is Brady’s most impressive Super Bowl performance ever.

the only Strong TC updates I found today:

The few seconds of video that Eskin tweeted

BLG noticing a great pass breakup by Kary Vincent Jr on a Strong pass to Calcaterra.

33 minutes ago, Kwahu said:

the only Strong TC updates I found today:

The few seconds of video that Eskin tweeted

BLG noticing a great pass breakup by Kary Vincent Jr on a Strong pass to Calcaterra.

Secret weapon, gotta keep it secret

15 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Nope, no time traveling here. Have you seen word one about Carson Strong in the last week+? I have not, I've been curious whether his lower leg had fallen off yet as some have speculated.:-)

14 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Carson Strong has too much arm. Incomplete. Clean it up.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:04 AM, CouchKing said:

Carson Strong has too much arm. Incomplete. Clean it up.

From: https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2022-training-camp-practice-notes-day-3-another-win-defense/

• Undrafted rookie free agent quarterback Carson Strong finally got some practice reps in team drills today, and... 😬. In six dropbacks (three in 11-on-11s, three in 7-on-7s), he threw an INT, two near-INTs, a ball well out of bounds to a receiver running down the sideline, and an inaccurate slant route. 

Strong completed more than 70 percent of his passes at Nevada in each of the last two seasons, so it's not as if he can't throw a football. Additionally, his head is no doubt swimming trying to learn a new offense. But there's no sugarcoating it — he was a mess today. To his credit, Strong had media availability after practice, and before anyone even asked him about his play today he volunteered on his own that he played poorly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

9 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

From: https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2022-training-camp-practice-notes-day-3-another-win-defense/

• Undrafted rookie free agent quarterback Carson Strong finally got some practice reps in team drills today, and... 😬. In six dropbacks (three in 11-on-11s, three in 7-on-7s), he threw an INT, two near-INTs, a ball well out of bounds to a receiver running down the sideline, and an inaccurate slant route. 

Strong completed more than 70 percent of his passes at Nevada in each of the last two seasons, so it's not as if he can't throw a football. Additionally, his head is no doubt swimming trying to learn a new offense. But there's no sugarcoating it — he was a mess today. To his credit, Strong had media availability after practice, and before anyone even asked him about his play today he volunteered on his own that he played poorly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitely played like a big pile of ish

Usually when training camp begins, the defense is ahead of the offense. This year, I believe we have some very good defensive players, many of which are very smart. There will be plenty of mistakes by the offense, especially early. People are focusing on Hurts and Strong for reasons we all are aware of, but the reality is that both players need TC reps to continue to improve. Expectations for Strong should be tempered while he gets acclimated to the NFL, the speed, a new offense, and new teammates. He will make a lot of mistakes early. He can learn from them to become a better player. Hopefully, he shows enough to win a spot on the final roster and can be groomed without pressure during his rookie year. 

Obviously Hurts is farther along, entering his 3rd year. He needs to continue to improve. He'll make mistakes in camp and when he does, he needs to learn from them. In the end, it's the real games that matter. 

What's weird is nobody seems to care (or report) about Minshew or Sinnett.