EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. How many attempts do we think Hurts has this year? The first 7 of last season had him on pace for 585 attempts. We were also 2-5 in those contest. I could see Brown getting 140+ targets in that environment. I dont expect that much volume though, atleast not if we want to win. We should be much more efficient with Brown in the lineup over Reagor. Hurts was on pace for about 490 attempts last year so i could see that number being 510-525 if he plays all 17 games this year. Not sure what kind of results that will yield. Btw, Strong averaged 43 attempts per game in 2021 & 39 in 2020. I know, i know it's college/mountain west but that seems like the type of QB this offense is designed for. Hurts averaged 24 attempts per game as a senior. Dropping back and delivering the ball at will is not his forte and i dont see the traits that suggest it ever will be. I think anything over 520 attempts could be a recipe for another 9-8 season.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Going to be watching alot of him, Levis & Richardson this year. With all the hype around Young & Stroud, one of those three should be within striking distance should we need to make a move at QB.

21 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

LOL. How many attempts do we think Hurts has this year? The first 7 of last season had him on pace for 585 attempts. We were also 2-5 in those contest. I could see Brown getting 140+ targets in that environment. I dont expect that much volume though, atleast not if we want to win. We should be much more efficient with Brown in the lineup over Reagor. Hurts was on pace for about 490 attempts last year so i could see that number being 510-525 if he plays all 17 games this year. Not sure what kind of results that will yield. Btw, Strong averaged 43 attempts per game in 2021 & 39 in 2020. I know, i know it's college/mountain west but that seems like the type of QB this offense is designed for. Hurts averaged 24 attempts per game as a senior. Dropping back and delivering the ball at will is not his forte and i dont see the traits that suggest it ever will be. I think anything over 520 attempts could be a recipe for another 9-8 season.

I don't expect Hurts to play all 17 games this season; he runs to contact and I think he'll end up missing 3-4 games.  

There were 8 QBs last season with more than 600 attempts -- Brady, Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Carr, Roethlisberger, Lawrence, Stafford.  Pretty much the list of QBs you trust with the ball in their hands.  Basically, that's 35 passes per game for 17 games.  

Part of it will come down to how big a part in the RBBC does Hurts want to be?  Last season the Eagles had 494 passing plays to 550 running plays.  Hurts ate up 139 of those running plays all on his own.  I think those totals need to flip, which would mean Hurts has to throw the ball on at least 50 of the plays where he took off with the ball.  If he'd done that last season he'd have had 89 rushes against 482 passes, which would be an 18.5% ratio -- about where he needs to be.

In short, Hurts needs at least 550 pass attempts this season if he plays all 17 games.

51 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Another stupid hot take. The Eagles have had 1 WR in the last 24 years have more than 140 targets in a year, and it's thanks to Kelly's gimmick offense. 

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I would agree with #1, but my fear is the Eagles will talk themselves into an extension even with an 11-6 season and a wildcard round win.

They could get overly excited by a slight improvement and a double digit win season but it doesn't seem that they have blinders on with him especially after Wentz.  They would have traded for Watson or Wilson.  They also heavily scouted the QB prospects. Hurts has to make a case that would make it seem foolish to move on from him.  I think he needs 3 of the 4 to do that for the team. 

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

Just to make everyone sick!

image.png.5b1baeaacc1d250a3e2d94626f2cb31f.png

image.png.895099adda60e90ff353d7da541965ff.png

Even sadder

JJAWful's best season, 10 catches for 169 yards and 1 TD

Terry McLaurin's best game, 7 catches for 125 yards and 1 TD

12 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

In short, Hurts needs at least 550 pass attempts this season if he plays all 17 games

That number makes me very uneasy. He's not one of the guys i trust with the ball in his hands. Luckily the only elite QB we play this year is Rodgers. There are a few Derek Carr caliber guys on the schedule though so it still could get ugly if we need him to win the game with his arm. 

25 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

and no.AJ brown doesnt come close to 140 targets. 

If he gets to 100 catches this year I will be happy, and so will the rest of the blog

image.thumb.png.88764713419657a1d1664979d08745d0.png

13 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

they were on pace for 585 and ended up with 494 after we realized we didnt have a qB who could read a defense, make all the throws and Steichen took over. 

If you play out the "new system" aka the we dont have a QB system like they did the last 10 games we're gonna end up with about 440 attempts. 

So my guess, some where bwteeen, say 480. 

and no.AJ brown doesnt come close to 140 targets. 

No way we only have 440 attempts. The Eagles have no reason to protect Hurts this year. Siri has to put his foot down and make a change if the QB cant execute his system. He has a job to do/keep just like Hurts does. 480 might work simply because there arent as many elite QB's on the schedule and i expect the defense to be alot better. I still dont think that'll be enough to justify a big extention. The top 10 QB's are averaging like 580.

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Another stupid hot take. The Eagles have had 1 WR in the last 24 years have more than 140 targets in a year, and it's thanks to Kelly's gimmick offense. 

LOL this was his reasoning. Maybe im being too harsh but i didnt see this growth that some of these guys speak of. I saw a guy getting praise for making the most basic of plays you'll ever see a pro QB make. 

Prime example. How far behind are you as a QB that this is praise worthy? Then again maybe im being too harsh. I dont even know at this point.

9 hours ago, justrelax said:

I believe I will ride off into the sunset. I've enjoyed my time here but the jackals are winning.

Meh.  No need to leave permanently.  Unfortunately the blog has been infested with ignorance over the past few years.  I just check in from time to time and have a chuckle at the level of misinformed posts here.   It is what it is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

LOL this was his reasoning. Maybe im being too harsh but i didnt see this growth that some of these guys speak of. I saw a guy getting praise for making the most basic of plays you'll ever see a pro QB make. 

This does not look like growth to you ??  Over his last 9 games he had 7 TD's and 7 interceptions, while not eclipsing 200 yards passing in 6 of those 9 games.

I mean, what do you want from the guy, to step up and be mediocre ??

image.png.b38590dd0714f882046a8b500e9710fd.png

19 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Prime example. How far behind are you as a QB that this is praise worthy? Then again maybe im being too harsh. I dont even know at this point.

Dan Orlovsky is another hot take for clicks guy. He praises that and how he's "getting better and better" and then 3 months later says Hurts is a QB you win in spite of. 

22 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Meh.  No need to leave permanently.  Unfortunately the blog has been infested with ignorance over the past few years.  I just check in from time to time and have a chuckle at the level of misinformed posts here.   It is what it is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sure Jan GIFs | Tenor

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This does not look like growth to you ?? 

See the source image

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This does not look like growth to you ??  Over his last 9 games he had 7 TD's and 7 interceptions, while not eclipsing 200 yards passing in 6 of those 9 games.

I mean, what do you want from the guy, to step up and be mediocre ??

image.png.b38590dd0714f882046a8b500e9710fd.png

Abysmal. Hurts to look at. 

55 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Interesting.  Looking forward to seeing what he ends up doing.  

So we're stuck with Barkan, mush mouth Brooks.  Wonder who they add.  

10 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Abysmal. Hurts to look at. 

Better trademark that.

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

media2.giphy.com/media/5gw0VWGbgNm8w/giphy.gif

I want to be fair to him and bring up the Quez & Goedert drops that cost him 200 yard games vs DEN & WAS but they both happened in the first half so i cant give him a pass. He cost our playmakers plenty of production throughout the season so it all evens out. His production is what it is. 

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Really poor mechanics by Hurts there.  Play was really made by Goedert by dusting a LB.  Good accuracy by Jalen but really ugly feet work.  

His feet and throw motion are brutal. Just not a natural passer at all. You'd think being the son of a coach, having Brian Johnson as a family friend & being coached by Riley would've gotten these things worked out by now. It's not fair but some guys just dont have it. 

55 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Really poor mechanics by Hurts there.  Play was really made by Goedert by dusting a LB.  Good accuracy by Jalen but really ugly feet work.  

At some point, it’s going to have to stop being about "progress” and start being about results.  

This is where, for me, draft status comes in to play.  Does it matter that Hurts wasn’t a first round pick?  No, not exactly.  However, with a first round pick, you have a marriage.  You look for progress, look to the horizon, and sometimes overlook where we are right now.

With a non first round pick without prototypical talent, the onus is on the player to hit the ground running and force their opportunity.  That’s how it went with Brady, Wilson, and Dak.  They got their shot and left no doubt.  These multiple years of patience and just settling for continued gradual improvement have never been reserved for a non first round pick with limited talent..until Hurts.  6’1” qbs with limited arm strength outside of round 1, who start their career passing like Hurts has…they get bounced from the lineup after one offseason, let alone 2.  It wouldn’t matter if they were 24, 34, or 18.

Archived