EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

And it's funny to think how many Eagles fans wanted to cut Mailata his rookie year. I say that because everyone who said "let's put him on the practice squad this year (and that was the prevailing sentiment) didn't seem to grasp the idea that you can't just put a player on the practice squad without him clearing waivers first. In other words, they would have to cut him first and hope no one would claim him. Which of course is precisely what would have happened. He'd have been claimed for sure.

I also remember an outcry of sorts after Dillard was drafted the following year. "You see. This PROVES that Mailata sucks! What a waste of a pick. They were STUPID for thinking that was going to work out!"

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

For every poster who said that, another said he'd be the elite LT of the future...also a premature take, but I don't think Mailata ever had too many people trying to unload him.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing with Hurts and every other running QB...the running deteriorates.  Hurts is a pretty physical runner too (unlike Lamar Jackson)...more like Josh Allen.  You can say that he avoids contact...and you'd be full of *^$#G.  Running is running.  And more physical running is physical running.  

If you are one of those people who says that running yards are just as good for a QB as passing yards...you'd be right for one game in isolation.  Over a season and over a career, the rushing yards take a toll.  You are less likely to be healthy later in a season and later in a career.  For a Josh Allen, John Elway, Aron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes...even Mike Vick...the assumption is that the massive, raw arm talent transitions into increased refinement as the rushing yards and athleticism fade.  For Jalen Hurts, you have an order of magnitude less arm talent...when the running fades, you aren't left with anything resembling a serviceable quarterback.

No matter how far they go in the playoffs this year or how good the "total yards" look, this needs to be considered if they actually think about an extension for Hurts.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Here's the thing with Hurts and every other running QB...the running deteriorates.  Hurts is a pretty physical runner too (unlike Lamar Jackson)...more like Josh Allen.  You can say that he avoids contact...and you'd be full of *^$#G.  Running is running.  And more physical running is physical running.  

If you are one of those people who says that running yards are just as good for a QB as passing yards...you'd be right for one game in isolation.  Over a season and over a career, the rushing yards take a toll.  You are less likely to be healthy later in a season and later in a career.  For a Josh Allen, John Elway, Aron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes...even Mike Vick...the assumption is that the massive, raw arm talent transitions into increased refinement as the rushing yards and athleticism fade.  For Jalen Hurts, you have an order of magnitude less arm talent...when the running fades, you aren't left with anything resembling a serviceable quarterback.

No matter how far they go in the playoffs this year or how good the "total yards" look, this needs to be considered if they actually think about an extension for Hurts.

Look no further than last year. Hurts was banged up by December, had to miss a game (and was lucky he didn't have to play the last game against Dallas), and was limited mobility wise against Tampa in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

Eliot ShorR-TK

Deliberately provocative tweet.  I guess that means trolling.

The only QBs slated currently to be over $35M for 2022 or 2023 are Watson, Mahomes, Prescott, Josh Allen, Tannehill, Cousins, Ryan, Brady, Rodgers.  It's hard to argue for Cousins' and Tannehill's contracts being good for the Vikings or Titans.  ATL cut bait with Ryan over his salary, according to Arthur Blank.  

The only way for a $35M+ contract to be good for the franchise, he has to be a top 8-10 NFL QB.  Even Hurts' most ardent supporters cannot claim he's been a top 8-10 NFL QB, or has shown any talent/ability to become one.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I think the team would need 3 of the 4 for them to consider a Hurts extension:

1. He makes a significant leap as a passer.  This doesn't just mean a higher completion percentage or more yards.  It means above average accuracy, decision making/processing and production. 

I can never get past this part whenever im discussing Hurts. I think people are wishing upon a star that he takes a significant leap and becomes a great passer. He's never had anything holding him back from being that except his own limitations. Son of a coach, coached by Nick Saban & Lincoln Riley, threw passes to 8 different 1st rd pass catchers throughout his college career and was never looked at as that dude. If he was some 6'5 guy with a cannon arm that came from a small school á la Allen/Wentz/Lance, id be more willing to "wait and see". I've seen enough. I'll be rooting for him this year but i've already placed my eagles hopes and dreams into the 2023 QB class/Carson Strong.

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

For every poster who said that, another said he'd be the elite LT of the future...also a premature take, but I don't think Mailata ever had too many people trying to unload him.

I am almost positive that 8 out of 10 projected 53s that year had Mailata not making it, often with the added comment that he’d be put on the PS instead. There were only a handful of us (Mattwill, TEW, me, and I guess you too come to mind) who were willing to use a roster spot on him right away. Furthermore, I think that a significant number of people who thought he might be elite eventually wanted to develop him on the practice squad right  away, overlooking the fact that it was going to be impossible for him to ever be on the Eagles PS...or any team's PS for that matter. 

I remember going nuts that summer having to repeatedly point out the fallacy of him simply being placed on the PS. The vast majority of fans were clueless about roster procedures.

Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I am almost positive that 8 out of 10 projected 53s that year had Mailata not making it, often with the added comment that he’d be put on the PS instead. There were only a handful of us (Mattwill, TEW, me, and I guess you too come to mind) who were willing to use a roster spot on him right away. Furthermore, I think that a significant number of people who thought he might be elite eventually wanted to develop him on the practice squad right  away, overlooking the fact that it was going to be impossible for him to ever be on the Eagles PS...or any team's PS for that matter. 

I remember going nuts that summer having to repeatedly point out the fallacy of him simply being placed on the PS. The vast majority of fans were clueless about roster procedures.

I suppose I remember some debates about Mailata on the PS.  If you believe in the potential of a draft pick (any draft pick, not just Mailata), then you really can't try to stash them on the practice squad.  The PS is for projects that you don't mind losing.  With the newer rules, I suppose, it's also for plug and play depth that you don't mind losing.  

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Deliberately provocative tweet.  I guess that means trolling.

The only QBs slated currently to be over $35M for 2022 or 2023 are Watson, Mahomes, Prescott, Josh Allen, Tannehill, Cousins, Ryan, Brady, Rodgers.  It's hard to argue for Cousins' and Tannehill's contracts being good for the Vikings or Titans.  ATL cut bait with Ryan over his salary, according to Arthur Blank.  

The only way for a $35M+ contract to be good for the franchise, he has to be a top 8-10 NFL QB.  Even Hurts' most ardent supporters cannot claim he's been a top 8-10 NFL QB, or has shown any talent/ability to become one.

You have eagles fans here & on social media platforms that legitimately think Hurts will get MVP votes in a league that employs Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Brady, Rodgers, Herbert, Jackson, Stafford, Wilson etc. Anyone that has ever watched him play knows that this is laughable. Paying him $35M/yr would set us back 5-7 years if not more.

29 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Never like to see anyone get hurt but if Josh Allen keeps playing like he does, guarantee he gets a significant injury.   Guy runs like he's playing kill the carrier.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I think the team would need 3 of the 4 for them to consider a Hurts extension:

1. He makes a significant leap as a passer.  This doesn't just mean a higher completion percentage or more yards.  It means above average accuracy, decision making/processing and production. 

2. The team gets at least to the NFC Championship game.  

3. The team wins the Super Bowl

4. There doesn't look like a better option for  QB in the upcoming draft or trade. 

I would agree with #1, but my fear is the Eagles will talk themselves into an extension even with an 11-6 season and a wildcard round win.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Never like to see anyone get hurt but if Josh Allen keeps playing like he does,  guarantee he gets a significant injury.   Guy runs like he's playing kill the carrier.

Yep. The majority of these mobile guys eventually suffer significant or nagging soft tissue injuries. Josh likes to truck and hurdle defenders, which is fun to watch but there's no chance he lasts 15+ years doing so. I remember seeing Wentz try to truck that panthers DB at the goal line in 17' and thinking to myself "there's no way this guy's gonna last doing that" and sure enough... I said the same thing when i saw Allen hurdle Anthony Barr a few years ago. He's been lucky so far but luck eventually runs out.

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wow

That's the guy who's won the last two MVP's. Our guy gets owned in division matchups when the opponent has their starting QB and im supposed to believe he will be MVP caliber this year lol.

5 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

That's the guy who's won the last two MVP's. Our guy gets owned in division matchups when the opponent has their starting QB and im supposed to believe he will be MVP caliber this year lol.

Meanwhile Hurts has 6 TD's and 8 Int's against the NFC East the last two seasons (6 games).

Edit: forgot to add 2 rushing TD's before everyone starts crying

If Hurts has a great year, would the FO pay out a $35mm+ contract for 1 year of great production next offseason? Eagles don't have to extend him until after the 2023-2024 season.

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

He's a paid troll. I dont see any scenario where Hurts earns a $40M contract this season. I cant wait for the games to start being played so we can all come back down to earth. 

There is definitely a scenario, it just wont happen.  He would need to put up Josh Allen type numbers, and win playoff games.  The Hurts Squirts keep pumping up his rushing numbers to offset the passing deficiency, so lets do this comparison again.

2021 rushing

Hurts - 784 yards, 5.6 per carry, 10 TD's

Allen - 763 yards, 6.3 per carry, 6 TD's

Rushing is basically even

2021 passing

Hurts -3144 yards, 61.3%, 16 TD's, 9 Int's ( 2.1 interception percentage )

Allen - 4407 yards, 63.3%, 36 TD's, 15 Int's ( 2.3 interception percentage ) ( 214 more passing attempts )

So with the same rushing production as Hurts, Allen passed for 1300 more yards and 20 more TD's

11 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Yep. The majority of these mobile guys eventually suffer significant or nagging soft tissue injuries. Josh likes to truck and hurdle defenders, which is fun to watch but there's no chance he lasts 15+ years doing so. I remember seeing Wentz try to truck that panthers DB at the goal line in 17' and thinking to myself "there's no way this guy's gonna last doing that" and sure enough... I said the same thing when i saw Allen hurdle Anthony Barr a few years ago. He's been lucky so far but luck eventually runs out.

For perspective, in 2021 Allen had 122 carries against 646 passes, for a 18.9% ratio

Also for the 2021 season, Hurts had 139 carries against only 432 passes, a 32.2% ratio

Not sustainable IMO

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Meanwhile Hurts has 6 TD's and 8 Int's against the NFC East the last two seasons (6 games).

Putrid. The rival teams and fanbases are praying we give him $40M.

29 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wow

Idk the Phillies bullpen retiring 33 consecutive batters at one point and not giving up a run in 18.1 innings is pretty impressive when you consider it’s the Phillies bullpen. 

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Edit: forgot to add 2 rushing TD's before everyone starts crying

spacer.png

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

If Hurts has a great year, would the FO pay out a $35mm+ contract for 1 year of great production next offseason? Eagles don't have to extend him until after the 2023-2024 season.

Depends how good. I don't want to sign him to a $35M contract at all, but as far as NFL contracts go, it would be about market price. It would put him at #10 overall APY currently but would be pushed back closer to 15 once Murray, Burrow and Herbert sign extensions. 

5 hours ago, justrelax said:

I believe I will ride off into the sunset. I've enjoyed my time here but the jackals are winning.

24ac024d-4e58-4e02-9367-52fafc5a2c8f_text.gif

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There is definitely a scenario, it just wont happen.  He would need to put up Josh Allen type numbers, and win playoff games.  The Hurts Squirts keep pumping up his rushing numbers to offset the passing deficiency, so lets do this comparison again.

2021 rushing

Hurts - 784 yards, 5.6 per carry, 10 TD's

Allen - 763 yards, 6.3 per carry, 6 TD's

Rushing is basically even

2021 passing

Hurts -3144 yards, 61.3%, 16 TD's, 9 Int's ( 2.1 interception percentage )

Allen - 4407 yards, 63.3%, 36 TD's, 15 Int's ( 2.3 interception percentage ) ( 214 more passing attempts )

So with the same rushing production as Hurts, Allen passed for 1300 more yards and 20 more TD's

I guess AJB is going to have 1300 & 20 this year lol. That along with our weapons from last year producing the same numbers is what it's gonna take for Hurts to have that type of season. No chance. 

23 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Josh Allen is 6'5'' 240lbs  and got hit less than Hurts even though Allen played more games. 

Hurts was basically 10 rushed per game. Lamar was 11 and Allen was 7

Just wait, Allen keeps running like he does, he'll get a major injury.  Don't matter how big he is.  Guy is reckless with his body.   All scrambling QBs should study Russell Wilson.  At least when he runs he will slide or get out of bounds.

Archived