EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

11 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

To be fair he probably would've had two guys go over 850 last year if Goedert could make routine catches. You're probably right though. 

Well and Ertz started some of the year.  The reality is that Hurts will have to be a much more efficient passer for this offense to have multiple receivers with close to a 1,000 yards.  I mean there were only 26 WRs with 1,000 or more yards last season.  The Chargers, Chiefs, Bengals, Bucs and Ravens had multiple 1,000 plus yard receivers.  There were 35 players with more than 850 yards.  You get to a few more teams, Steelers, Cows, Seahawks and 49ers.  So 9 out of 32 teams have 2 850+ yard receivers.  That's less than a 3rd of teams.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Interesting board. They also gave Jahan Dotson a second round grade.  

As much as I hate the Cowboys they draft REALLY well, so I put a lot of stock into how they graded players.

Are you talking about talent and draft night wow factor or do you include off field issues like jailtime later on?

I think it’s interesting that by their own board they should’ve taken Cine instead..

5 minutes ago, Infam said:

What I don’t get is that fugly chain though.

Really ??  You are a fan of Hurts but  you don't understand SWAG ??

To be clear..

Almost all of the "Hurts Haters" would love to be proven wrong.  But it has to be very wrong. 

Hurts can't just get better.  He has to get to that tier where you know your QB can make plays in the fourth quarter to win a playoff game.

7 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

To be clear..

Almost all of the "Hurts Haters" would love to be proven wrong.  But it has to be very wrong. 

Hurts can't just get better.  He has to get to that tier where you know your QB can make plays in the fourth quarter to win a playoff game.

Let's take it one step at a time.  We need to know he can make plays in the first and second quarter so the game is not over in the fourth quarter of a playoff game.

30 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

To be fair he probably would've had two guys go over 850 last year if Goedert could make routine catches. You're probably right though. 

That Watkins drop still haunts me too.

The Eagles fired Casey Weidl, Andy’s brother.

Feels like a precursor to Andy getting hired by Steelers.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Replace that thought with the great catch he made against the Giants on an underthrown ball.

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The Chargers, Chiefs, Bengals, Bucs and Ravens had multiple 1,000 plus yard receivers. 

Not hard to see why with the QB's on those teams. Insert any of them onto this current Eagles squad and we'd have multiple 1000 yard receivers too.

26 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Do we know that this is the reason he put on the weight?

Caplan said he heard they want Dillard to take at least some snaps at guard.

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

To be clear..

Exactly.   So far he's not proven he can make plays to even stay in a playoff game even in the first quarter.

4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

The Eagles fired Casey Weidl, Andy’s brother.

Feels like a precursor to Andy getting hired by Steelers.

I would think that means Andy's leaving too.  I hope they bring in some outside talent and don't just rely on internal promotions. 

What ranked QB will Hurts be in fantasy this year?  We might not love him as our QB but he puts up some great stats in fantasy thanks to his rushing TD's

37 minutes ago, Infam said:

Broncos game? yea that was probably Hurts best throw of the season. Still cant believe watkins dropped it. That's the one thing i can point to as hope that Hurts will be better this year. He definitely had 8-10 TD's either called back or dropped. The problem is stuff like that happens to every QB. I can recall atleast 5 of Mahomes's Int's bouncing right off his receivers hands. Sure Hurts had TD's called back, but he also had quite a few INT's dropped and left alot of TD's/big plays out there due to his lack of field vision or simply throwing a bad pass.

3 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

What ranked QB will Hurts be in fantasy this year?  We might not love him as our QB but he puts up some great stats in fantasy thanks to his rushing TD's

He’ll be ranked as high as prime Cam Newton. 2nd round but after the best passers. 

1 minute ago, KDUB1510 said:

Broncos game? yea that was probably Hurts best throw of the season. Still cant believe watkins dropped it. That's the one thing i can point to as hope that Hurts will be better this year. He definitely had 8-10 TD's either called back or dropped. The problem is stuff like that happens to every QB. I can recall atleast 5 of Mahomes's Int's boucing right off his receivers hands. Sure Hurts had TD's called back, but he also had quite a few INT's dropped and left alot of TD's/big plays out there due to his lack of field vision or simply throwing a bad pass.

This isn't directed at you but people really need to get off the called back TD arguments. Besides what you said already about every QB having them, they were penalties! They were TD's because we kept doing illegal pick plays which got the guy open in the first place. Or because Hurts held the ball too long on an RPO and the linemen was too far down the field. It isn't a defense mechanism as much as people think it is.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

What an exodus.

Weirdest one is Weidl.  Greasing the skids for Andy to leave by firing his brother?  Very odd.

And... who are they bringing in?  

Once Andy Weidl leaves, please bring in Rick Spielman or Rick Smith.

Need a #2 who is a proven drafter.

And considering how many GMs have been hired that were Howie's deputies, it's an attractive job.

21 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

To be clear..

100% this   1000 X's this  

As far as a passing offense is concerned, there were 10 teams last season that averaged 250 passing yards per game.  12 teams that averaged 248 or more, then a big drop off down to 233 passing yards per game.  Of those 12 teams, 10 made the playoffs -- only the Vikings and Chargers missed.  The Eagles finished 25th in the NFL with 200.2 passing yards per game.  All 7 teams behind them missed the playoffs.

With the Eagles pass catching group now including a $25M per year AJ Brown, a $15M per year Dallas Goedert, and a #10 overall draft pick in DeVonta Smith, it's pretty clear where the Eagles allotment of financial resources is going -- towards creating a competitive passing offense.  For good reason -- as per the above, your chances of being a playoff team and making noise in the playoffs increases greatly with a prolific passing attack.  The current swell of WR salaries across the NFL dictate that the league GMs see a strong passing attack as more and more important.

To get into the top 12 passing offense the Eagles would need 4,200 passing yards -- based on 2021 numbers.  That would need to be approximately:

Brown -- 1,000

Smith -- 916

Goedert -- 830

Watkins -- 647

Reagor -- 300

RB -- 500 

It seems unlikely, because I took all of the Eagles pass catchers numbers from 2021 and simply added all of AJ Brown's 1,000 yards on top of it -- without accounting for a decrease in targets for anyone else.

The QB is going to have to take a huge leap in 2022.

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Once Andy Weidl leaves, please bring in Rick Spielman or Rick Smith.

Need a #2 who is a proven drafter.

And considering how many GMs have been hired that were Howie's deputies, it's an attractive job.

Rick Spielman would be a home run.

Archived