EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

28 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

@TorontoEagle

to piggy back on the last post in the last thread.

I think the eagles were way too successful with the style of play in the last 10 weeks to abandon it this year. May be a little more passing wrinkle but you're depending on Hurts which we know won't work so I think we're going to see a run heavy (in todays game) offense and expect the Eagles to have a little less than last years attempts. 450-485ish. (think we ended with 490 something)

So we can be split on WR1, and WR2 but I think the numbers next  year and probably the following year(letting a rookie grow) with look something like this

Wr1 - 80 catches, 900 yards

Goedert - 75 Catches 700 yards

Wr2 - 50 catches 650 yards

The problem is we played the Lions, Jets, Heinicke led WFT, Gilbert led WFT, Siemian led Saints team & the Glennon led Giants team over the last 10 games. We probably wont have that luxury again this year and even if we do, i dont expect us to try to protect Hurts with the run game. If our pass catchers are only able to muster that production, it would be a travesty. The other TE's getting paid similarly to Goedert are perennial 1000 yard receivers. So are the WR's making $20M+ a year like AJB. Hell even the other two WR's selected in the top 10 last year had over 1000 yards(probably will this year too) so Smith having sub 700 would be awful. Throwing for 4000 yards isnt a big thing anymore. Any QB worth his salt should be able to do it relatively easily with our supporting cast. No reason we shouldnt have atleast one guy go over 1000 yards and the other two going for 850+

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Nothing on the field but the offseason program started. Usually you here a nugget or 2.  This guy came in in shape. BS like that but usually something.  

Well we have Dillard is putting on weight to try guard and K'Von Wallace claims he gained 10 pounds of muscle while trying his best Alex Jones impersonation. 

Still think its pretty early for anything substantial. They are just starting these guys on their workout programs.

18 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Interesting board. They also gave Jahan Dotson a second round grade.  

As much as I hate the Cowboys they draft REALLY well, so I put a lot of stock into how they graded players.

Do they?  Would you put them in the Ravens / Steelers tier?

It seems that they get some flash now and then, but their net results aren't all that spectacular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys_draft_history

50 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They'll pass more this year, but not drastically more. Why should they?

Because they spent a top 10 pick on DeVonta Smith, traded a 1st + gave $100M to AJB, gave Dallas Goedert a $15M/yr contract & they have one of the best pass blocking offensive lines in the NFL. That's why. Would be insane to invest all those resources in pass catchers just to run the ball 40 times a game again this year. Someone needs to be fired if that's the plan

So Cowboys took someone they had a second round grade on at 24 and passed on someone they had graded as a first round prospect?

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

So Cowboys took someone they had a second round grade on at 24 and passed on someone they had graded as a first round prospect?

Didn’t go the BPA route and forced the pick

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

It's crazy to me that we had a "true number 1" last year with smith who couldn't get 1000 yards with Hurts but since we added another WR1 we're def going to do it? 

It's likely that the passing game will be markedly better AND neither Brown, Smith, nor Goedert get to 1K.

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Sold

Question for you.  If AJ Brown had 75-80 catches this year, would you concede the bet, or would you ride it out hoping he had less than 30 catches the following year.

And there is no stipulations on this bet, if Hurts is injured early and Minshew has to take over, the bet still stands.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

It's crazy to me that we had a "true number 1" last year with smith who couldn't get 1000 yards with Hurts but since we added another WR1 we're def going to do it? 

I'm not sure I'd declare Smith a true number one just yet. He certainly has the potential to get there, but he isn't there yet. He may in fact be the best or one of the best number 2 WRs in the league, with the potential to climb into number one WR status at some point. Of course, everything is muddied because of our QBs lack of throwing ability. 

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No chance we have two over 850. Not with Hurts.  

To be fair he probably would've had two guys go over 850 last year if Goedert could make routine catches. You're probably right though. 

46 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Cowboys had Jordan Davis as 11th best player in the draft. 

It looks like they had first round grades only on 14 players.  Cine was one of them.  Olave was not.  It seems like their board was consistent with a lot of teams given the first round.  I wonder how many felt similarly about Olave.  They had Cine but passed on him for Smith.  From a positional value standpoint, I think that tells you something about their board.  

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Shouldn’t be a mod enforced thing.  We enforce our own here.  

Isn't that what the EIC does? 

32 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Cowboys had Hamilton over Davis.

Gotta think Howie sees a premium DT as more essential than a premium S prospect.  It's been decades since the Eagles went secondary in the first round.  I agree Hamilton was the better overall prospect, but Gannon might not have seen him as a scheme fit for what the Eagles do.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I just took the L, I cant root against him. 

I think because of how bad Hurts is, plus splitting catches with Smth/Goedert, plus injury it wouldn't shock me 1 bit if 100 catches in 2 years is the number

Well, I am rooting for him to have 100 catches this year, then the bet is over and you would take the suspension immediately.

49 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Eagles were 11th in offensive DVOA last year, 3rd rushing, 14th passing.

2017 they were 7th, 18 rushing, 4th passing.

I expect the offense they finished last year with but with tweaks, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So a lot of 2 TE formations, but Stoll getting more opportunities in the passing game (the forgotten man), as teams overplay the run, the safety on top takes Goedert.

Lots of play action, running out of 3 WR formations to set up defenses. Brown getting crossing routes where he can rack up YAC. Smith drawing less attention and getting open consistently.

Some option looks to keep DE honest. More screens, especially to Gainwell.

Run, dink and dunk to matriculate down the field, and take one or two shots each drive.

They'll pass more this year, but not drastically more. Why should they? Maybe 2 more passes a game, which would approach the league average (593 v 494 last season)

average drive:  35 yards, 2.34 points - opponent's average drive:  30.7 yards, 2.14 points

they do need to upgrade the punter, can't give opponents good field position on a regular basis

Defense was bad last year, 25th in DVOA, that should change now that Gannon has the personnel to play his defense. Lot of hybrid looks from the front seven, 4-3, 4-3 under, 3-4/5-2.

They should get more pressure on QBs and be tougher to run against, but remains to be seen if the young DBs can step up.

Upgrades to LB should help reduce those high percentage completion rates driven by passing underneath soft zones with slow defenders giving too much cushion.

The playoff game suggests otherwise .

45 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

My belief is we start out pass heavy again. My hope is that Hurts can execute it with the weapons available. If he cannot, again, my hope is that he is replaced at that point. Logic would dictate that the resources they've now spent on WR is far superior to the resources spent on Hurts/the run game. This should make Hurts leash much shorter than if we didn't bring in Brown for the price we paid. 

Of course, with Lowie, all bets are off. But, logically, we should see a much greater emphasis on passing. And if we resort to run heavy again just to make a wild card exit....that's a complete franchise failure from the top down. Because, if that's the route they wanted to take, they should have thrown resources at upgrading the actual RB position. 

I agree with your logic, and it makes perfect sense. 

But I don’t think it will go down like that. Howie just spent big bucks on Hurts’ best friend. I think it’s clear this is them going all in on Hurts for one more season to see if they can make that draft pick work. Howie wants to look like a genius. I think Siri will be told to cater the offense towards Jalen’s strengths, and we will see similar results as last year. 

My prediction is Brown gets fed a lot. Lots of short, YAC friendly, stat padding,  throws. Smith’s numbers will actually decrease. And Watkins will see some deep targets, but almost never get any catchable passes. Goedert’s numbers will decrease just slightly based on the number of targets for Brown, but as we saw last year, when the number one WR starts getting coverage shifted their way, the only other place the ball will go is the TE. 

I think they’re all in on Hurts. And if they don’t see the results they want, they’ll stick with him for the better draft pick. MAYBE they’d put Strong in for the last few games if they thought they see something special from him in practice. But we know they won’t do that for Minshew. 

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

Having your #1 receiver traded away while being expected to mentor your replacement has to suck. 

They couldn't afford what Brown wanted. Their offense is Henry

51 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

My belief is we start out pass heavy again. My hope is that Hurts can execute it with the weapons available. If he cannot, again, my hope is that he is replaced at that point. Logic would dictate that the resources they've now spent on WR is far superior to the resources spent on Hurts/the run game. This should make Hurts leash much shorter than if we didn't bring in Brown for the price we paid. 

Of course, with Lowie, all bets are off. But, logically, we should see a much greater emphasis on passing. And if we resort to run heavy again just to make a wild card exit....that's a complete franchise failure from the top down. Because, if that's the route they wanted to take, they should have thrown resources at upgrading the actual RB position. 

They'll just say there's no run game to help out the passing. I don't understand it but he gets an incredible amount of excuses 

37 minutes ago, RLC said:

Helps. Saints' home field advantage is real. It's a marginal difference though.

Those whistles are something else

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Well we have Dillard is putting on weight to try guard and K'Von Wallace claims he gained 10 pounds of muscle while trying his best Alex Jones impersonation. 

Still think its pretty early for anything substantial. They are just starting these guys on their workout programs.

Do we know that this is the reason he put on the weight?

This is the season that's the real test.   Jalen Hurts' 3rd rookie season.  

I thought I was all caught up and now there's a whole new one to go through.

1 hour ago, Westbrook#36 said:

Page 1!

(I really just want the star next to the thread on the homepage so I can quickly get to first unreaf post)

bookmark it https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/topic/6067-emb-blog-2022-otas-thru-pre-season/?do=getNewComment

58 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lurie wants a passing offense.  They talk about being a 'QB factory', because they are all about the passing game.  They spent a 1st round pick and lots of money on a WR... to be a passing offense.   There's no mystery here.  What they did last season was out of necessity, not because that's what they want to be from a philosophical point of view.  They have put the pieces around Hurts to have a break out season.  They did that for Wentz in his second year and he responded with a MVP-caliber season.  Hurts has no excuse with his weapons around him now.  Should he be expected to put up numbers equal to what Wentz did in year 2?   My question is: Why shouldn't that be the bar for him to aim for?  Hurts has 17 games, Wentz only had 13.75.  Hurts has the chance with 3.25 more games to match Wentz' numbers.  I don't think that's unreasonable if Hurts is the guy to build around.  And if he's not, we'll find out quick.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

When you realize you have to play in Detroit. 

image.png.f903ad3d41acf35ac350cfbc2a577c0f.png

He looked unhappy at draft night too.

He’s a very good receiver, I think the best in this draft. And it’s the Lions.. I get it.

What I don’t get is that fugly chain though.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Eagles were 11th in offensive DVOA last year, 3rd rushing, 14th passing.

2017 they were 7th, 18 rushing, 4th passing.

I expect the offense they finished last year with but with tweaks, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yeah... it was broken.  Did you see the offense against the good teams?  How did it do?   Smoke and mirrors against the sisters of the poor of the NFC East, Jets, etc. isn't enough to convince anyone that the offense was good last year.  They weren't, especially when they needed to be.

They didn't invest in AJ Brown like they just did to hand the ball to someone else 55%+ of the time and not throw the ball more than they did down the stretch last year.  They can still be a dominant type running team, but that should be the goal after they have established a lead... they are supposed to be a passing offense now.  That's why you get Brown, draft Smith, draft Reagor, draft JJAW.  They want WRs and they want them to be productive.  They don't want them to be window dressing.

Archived