EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

The 2017 Eagles were 3rd in rushing & the 2018 Patriots were 5th in rushing. The 2018 Pats were a running team in the playoffs.

So yes, you can win a SB with a good rushing offense as the foundation.

Tom Brady in 2018 playoffs

34-44 for 343 yards, team had 34 rushes for 155 yards

30-46 for 348 yards, team had 48 rushes for 176 yards

21-35 262 yards, 32 rushes for 154 yards

but sure "running team"

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

In both of those cases, a QB was present that could pick up the team whether for one drive, a half, or a whole game.  Do we have that guy now?

image.gif.f263c5a5f5261d3224c9e6ad99d649d0.gif

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

The 2017 Eagles were 3rd in rushing & the 2018 Patriots were 5th in rushing. The 2018 Pats were a running team in the playoffs.

You need the ability to PASS the ball as well.  You can't be one dimensional.

5 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

True or false: we are 1 high end DB and improved QB play away from Superbowl contenders. 

False

Hurts would have to have a Josh Allen leap. And the defense is still a work in progress. The only difference maker added was Reddick. Meanwhile, Slay, Cox, Graham, Harris are all a year older. 

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

No no no. Just making the playoffs as the 7 seed gets you sprinkles on your ice cream now and a trophy now. Screw the Lombardi trophy, we get the sprinkles playoff trophy. 

274171F6-CDDA-447B-9353-F18501E6A9AE.jpeg

Why do you have a trophy of Jalen Reagor?

7 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A better front-seven should make the secondary less vulnerable.

'Improved' isn't enough.  Hurts needs to get in those top QB tiers.  Cam or Lamar 'lite' won't do.

I agree with the first part, but gotta see if Davis+Reddick is enough to qualify us as good enough to run out scrubs at the majority of our DB positions. I'd love to see it but I'm skeptical. 

3 hours ago, aptosbird said:

The Season of Hope Strong

FYP

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

@Moderator6 please advise you are OK with this bet.

I have the screenshot saved.

image.thumb.png.aeb4dd1facee5f3b378d109fba75605d.png

This is one hell of a long con. Can't believe he took that bet. I also want to point out that if he gets 100 catches, nothing happens.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Gotta think Howie sees a premium DT as more essential than a premium S prospect.  It's been decades since the Eagles went secondary in the first round.  I agree Hamilton was the better overall prospect, but Gannon might not have seen him as a scheme fit for what the Eagles do.  

As do I. The goal was to strengthen the front 4 and play 2 high S. They have a crapload of young DBs. Odds are one of them steps up.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

He looked unhappy at draft night too.

He’s a very good receiver, I think the best in this draft. And it’s the Lions.. I get it.

What I don’t get is that fugly chain though.

You're so...white.

6 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

True or false: we are 1 high end DB and improved QB play away from Superbowl contenders. 

Playing in the SB or winning the SB?

8 minutes ago, RLC said:

As a side note, in 2017 Brady passed for 1,132 yards and 8 TDs in 3 playoff games.  Folees passed for 971 yards amd 6 TD.  In 2018 Brady passed for 4,355 yards with 29 TDs.  

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

False

Hurts would have to have a Josh Allen leap. And the defense is still a work in progress. The only difference maker added was Reddick. Meanwhile, Slay, Cox, Graham, Harris are all a year older. 

You don't think AJ Brown or Jordan Davis will be difference makers?

Brown is not just a good receiver, he's also a good run blocking WR. So is Pascal.

Mailata, Dickerson, Kelce and Lane are among the best run blocking OL in the NFL.

Goedert is one of the best run blocking TEs, so is Stoll as the 2nd TE.

This team has at least as much resources for the run game as the passing game.

Sirianni in Indy

2020:  552 passes, 459 rushes

2019:  513 passes, 471 rushes,

2018:  644 passes, 402 rushes

You can gain more yards per pass, but the variance is also higher, and there is diminishing returns (i.e. if you're totally pass oriented, defenses just play a nickel package).

The run can also soften up the opposing DL and reduce the pass rush in the second half of games as DL wear down.

As with most things, it's a matter of balance. If you had Brady at QB, you'd pass more, but few QBs are as efficient as Brady.

Finished this playoff game with 5 catches for 142 yards and 1 TD... Looks like he could have had way more 

14 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

In both of those cases, a QB was present that could pick up the team whether for one drive, a half, or a whole game.  Do we have that guy now?

Carson is Strong.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Why do you have a trophy of Jalen Reagor?

No Reagor’s trophy is this 

ADBA0B73-B984-488E-8218-528D04995FDC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I agree with the first part, but gotta see if Davis+Reddick is enough to qualify us as good enough to run out scrubs at the majority of our DB positions. I'd love to see it but I'm skeptical. 

Add White/Dean over Singleton/Edwards to the areas of improvement.

From a scheme perspective, I hope to see more chaos and disruption from that group.  I think Gannon was limited by the talent available at linebacker last season.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

You don't think AJ Brown or Jordan Davis will be difference makers?

Was talking specifically defense. AJ Brown is obviously a difference maker. Question will be if he is playing with a sports car or a go kart with a governor. Eagles offense was putrid against Tampa Bay. AJ Brown could have been out there and I'm not sure how much closer the game is.

Jordan Davis is a wait and see for me. In general I don't count on rookies making an impact year 1, especially at the beginning of May. But a difference maker in turning the current team into a SB contender? No.

9 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Running the ball gives us more time of possession and makes our defense fresher.  Hopefully we will be able to get the ball back to our O more this year with the improved defense.  Last year we finished 21st in TOP... I'm thinking this year we should be top 10

Only 5 of the top 10 teams in TOP made the playoffs.  They had a combined 3-5 record.

Rams were 20th ( Eagles were 21st ), Bengals 12th, Chiefs 7th and San Francisco 17th.

There is no correlation between regular season TOP and winning in the playoffs.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Was talking specifically defense. AJ Brown is obviously a difference maker. Question will be if he is playing with a sports car or a go kart with a governor. Eagles offense was putrid against Tampa Bay. AJ Brown could have been out there and I'm not sure how much closer the game is.

Jordan Davis is a wait and see for me. In general I don't count on rookies making an impact year 1, especially at the beginning of May. But a difference maker in turning the current team into a SB contender? No.

Gotcha. I'm actually more excited to see Davis this year then I was Smith last year. I've always enjoyed good defense...even though you're not allowed to play it much anymore.

15 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The objective is to win PLAYOFF games.  And, they also have to please the guy that pays the bills... and he wants a passing offense.  

Tell me, did you watch the Eagles against the Bucs?   Did they have any chance in that game with that mickey mouse offense they ran?

Most first time playoff teams against top defenses struggle, you do know Watson scored 7 points in his first playoff game?

Eagles weren't playoff caliber last year, with a first year QB, two first year starting WRs (Watkins had little rookie experience), a rookie RB, and a defense that couldn't slow down a decent QB.

We'll see how they look this year.

Eagles are built a lot like SF now, a big YAC WR, a big TE who threatens the seam, a power running game, speed WRs to pressure deep, an athletic OL that should excel at screens.

Sirianni shouldn't try to emulate pure passing teams, he can build an offense more like Reid's early 2000 teams with much better skill players, where you can mix in runs, screens, and deep shots to keep a defense off balance.

Here is some more for you @austinfan, run pass ratio.

Rams ranked 24th, Bengals ranked 14th

Chiefs ranked 28th, 49ers ranked 4th

Bucs ranked 32nd, Bills ranked 23rd, Packers ranked 17th, Titans ranked 2nd

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think he graded put as our best safety last year. 

"Hey, I think a good part of them asking for my opinion is: Hey, we’re drafting your replacement here, are you ok with it? Let’s be honest about it.” - Kelce

Just watching it. Damn, I’ll miss him. Happy we get one more year.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Disgusting

Archived