EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

14 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Here's 12 stats where Hurts was above average.

• His ANY/A was 15th. 
  • His sack % was 13th
  • He was tied for 13th in 4th quarter comebacks.
  • His INT% was 14th
  • He was 14th in yards per attempt. (these are 2 of the 4 stats that go into QB Rating)
  • He was 14th in combined QB TDs.
  • He was 12th in combined yards per game at 261.9 (1.4 yards behind Rodgers)
  • He was 5th in yards per completion.
  • He was 9th in completed air yards
  • He was 1st in rushing yards
  • He was 1st in rushing TDs
  • He was 2nd in yards per rush

FYI: Average of 32 is 16-17 range.

It was his first full year as a starter (starts 5-19)

He will get better. You will stay the same.

The bottom three aren't what defines a QB.  No one is debating his running ability.  It's his passing ability that is being questioned.  Combined yards per game is again a veiled reference to his running.  Irrelevant to this conversation, as are combined TDs.  Personally, I don't want my QB being the short yardage back at the goalline.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, downundermike said:

So predictable, I took this screenshot about 10 minutes ago waiting for you.

I said the top 3 offensive line makes the running game, not the QB.

Here is the starters from the game you referenced.  See any starters, or 4 missing.

23690593-296A-4352-858E-8CD8FE6F1B7F.jpeg

Kelce only played 1 snap, I believe.

14 hours ago, austinfan said:

What happened last year is meaningless, what he does this year is what matters - either he improves or he doesn't.

Beating a dead horse won't make it get up and walk.

"Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - Winston Churchill

14 hours ago, downundermike said:

I was told by Hurts defenders in this very blog that QBR is a better measure of Hurts than QB rating is.

That's because it includes rushing stats.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's because it includes rushing stats.

Right, I think that’s the point

9 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Yes, recent draft choices get preference.  Deal with it.

Last in...Huntley, Tuipulotu, Jobe, Wallace/Tartt

Last out...Bradley, Cain, Covey, Awosika, Chachere

image.png.59e009abd4f67101064b24068eb715aa.png

I would hope they can find someone better than Huntley for RB4 (if they even keep 4, rather than a stash on the PS) from the scrap heap of another team.  

Reagor hasn't earned that spot, plays only returner on ST, and sucks at that.  I know his draft status, but in terms of team building, again, it would be better to mine the waiver wire for 5th WR.  Reagor will still be around if they need to bring him back due to injury and having someone that vaguely understands the offense. 

Well that was a totally uninspiring game. Outside of Cam Jurgens and Jordan Davis, I can't really tell you any young players that jumped off the page in and shined in any of their games or made me said yea, he's a player the Eagles have something with.

The most exciting thing was Devon Allen as a gunner?  Maybe Grant Caclaterra was a bright spot?  Had a bad penalty though. 

-Kenny Gainwell is overhyped.

-Deon Cain lost a roster spot tonight.

-Jason Huntley will make initial 53 until they claim another RB.

-Davion Taylor should be cut.

-Sinnett and Strong don't deserver roster spots.

-Blankenship should make the team over Tartt and Wallace.

-The low risk trades for Kary Vincent and Tay Gowan equated to trading for PS players. They are  not good players

-Covey, despite the rave reviews, didn't flash once in any game.  Not even enough for the PS IMO. 

-How did Dererk Barnett manage to not play a single preseason snap despite being healthy?

Bottom line.  This team has talent at the top and then a severe drop.  They are still lacking talented, young depth.  Sure they have depth at CB, but someone has to make the team.  I would have liked to see a young WR step up rather than just having to settle for a WR5.  RB room, yikes.  Safety, crickets.  DE too.  I'm hesitant to call the LB depth good just because anything looks better than what they had.  

I don’t know how so many of you read into anything at all in the preseason. It literally means squat. If a young QB looks terrible, OK, but other than that it’s mostly practice squad players. 

I can;t remember the last time the Eagles only carried 2 QBs on the 53 roster. I think they will carry 3 like usual, just not sure who the 3rd will be and even if that 3rd is currenlty on the team right now. 

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Well that was a totally uninspiring game. Outside of Cam Jurgens and Jordan Davis, I can't really tell you any young players that jumped off the page in and shined in any of their games or made me said yea, he's a player the Eagles have something with.

The most exciting thing was Devon Allen as a gunner?  Maybe Grant Caclaterra was a bright spot?  Had a bad penalty though. 

-The low risk trades for Kary Vincent and Tay Gowan equated to trading for PS players. They are  not good players

-Covey, despite the rave reviews, didn't flash once in any game.  Not even enough for the PS IMO. 

-How did Dererk Barnett manage to not play a single preseason snap despite being healthy?

Bottom line.  This team has talent at the top and then a severe drop.  They are still lacking talented, young depth.  Sure they have depth at CB, but someone has to make the team.  I would have liked to see a young WR step up rather than just having to settle for a WR5.  RB room, yikes.  Safety, crickets.  DE too.  I'm hesitant to call the LB depth good just because anything looks better than what they had.  

Eh I think you're being a bit overly harsh. Aside from Davis and Jurgens I liked what I saw from Dean, calcaterra (albeit in limited capacity) Blankenship and Jobe. Kyron Johnson was always gonna be a developmental guy so I'm not gonna judge too harshly in him yet. I also saw growth from guys from last year like  Patrick Johnson, McPherson and Gowan. Tarron Jackson and Marlon Tuipulotu didn't look great but looked like they could at least develop into situational players still. Devon Allen showed promise as a ST player with potential to grow at receiver. 

I agree I was hoping for more. Particularly from mid round guys like Gainwell, Wallace and Taylor. Depth is a major issue at safety and RB. Still we have at least some promising young depth on this team. Plus I'd take our second string OL and DTs over several starting units around the league which is a very nice position to be in. 

Howie should be fired after that preseason game.

what type of drivel is he acquiring for this team?!

we look horrible.

2 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Howie should be fired after that preseason game.

what type of drivel is he acquiring for this team?!

we look horrible.

Methinks you're being a bit dramatic considering it was a preseason game played almost entirely by 3rd/4th stringers. 

9 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I don’t know how so many of you read into anything at all in the preseason. It literally means squat. If a young QB looks terrible, OK, but other than that it’s mostly practice squad players. 

I'm being critical of preseason because of the Eagles approach to it.  Sirianni has come in here and gotten rid of OTA's and mini camps, holding the bare minimum the league requires.  He's made Training Camp a joke with practices less than 1-hour long followed by a day off.  They don't tackle.  The starters don't play more than 1 series.    

I get it, the Eagles want to stay healthy.  The truth of the matter is players are going to get injured and miss time during TC and the regular season.  

What you saw the last 2 games was a 100% reflection on the Eagles approach.  Horrible tackling and effort on defense and terrible backup QB play because practice is barely long enough to get them more than a handful of snaps.  

They can tout the joint team practices and how beneficial they are but clearly, other teams feel different.  We saw it last night with the Dolphins.  Their starters got significant playing time.  Hell, Tom Brady played more snaps this preseason than Hurts and may or may not have been off filming The Masked Singer.  

Sirianni has not discovered some magical new way of approaching practice.  Teams that practice and prepare more are going to play better than teams who don't.  

That game was laughably bad. I know there is talk about depth on this roster, well, it wasn't present last night.  Some very easy cuts coming from the Eagles

6 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Methinks you're being a bit dramatic considering it was a preseason game played almost entirely by 3rd/4th stringers. 

Not to forget our 2nd/3rd string playing against the Dolphins starters for the first quarter and a half. Tua still looked horrible even against our backups. 

I still believe this is a 8 win team roughly give or take a game but very difficult to even take yesterdays game into any factoring. Most of them after the 2nd string left were not going to make this team anyways. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I would hope they can find someone better than Huntley for RB4 (if they even keep 4, rather than a stash on the PS) from the scrap heap of another team.  

Reagor hasn't earned that spot, plays only returner on ST, and sucks at that.  I know his draft status, but in terms of team building, again, it would be better to mine the waiver wire for 5th WR.  Reagor will still be around if they need to bring him back due to injury and having someone that vaguely understands the offense. 

They should trade Reagor, if Howie can use his magic on unloading him and save face of drafting him high.  Maybe a tall order, but better than cutting him outright. 

Allen shows speed and makes play in ST.  He could make the roster and contributes in different ways.

Huntley is heading to PS.  But then he has been there for couple of seasons now.  If there is other prospect in the final cuts of other teams, add to the PS and augment the choices.

29 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I can;t remember the last time the Eagles only carried 2 QBs on the 53 roster. I think they will carry 3 like usual, just not sure who the 3rd will be and even if that 3rd is currenlty on the team right now. 

I think it was Wentz’s rookie year, but they traded Bradford right before the season started and only carried 2 that year.

Last week, Dobbs had a big run because the defense let up and was afraid to tackle. Yesterday, I saw saw several instances, again, where the defense stopped pursuing the play because they didn’t want to tackle.

I could get behind the reduced practices and reduced reps if it actually showed it’s value on the field. These 3rd/4th stringers looked clueless out there and it’s probably from a lack of reps and actually practicing together.

No major injuries from training camp. That’s good, but if the players don’t know what they are doing does it really matter? Starters will be 3 weeks removed from their last game action to start the season. Let’s hope it doesn’t take half the season again to figure it out.

I think they go 10-7 this year and make the playoffs due to the division’s incompetence.

Did Strong play last night? I turned it off to watch rain delay coverage of NASCAR.

34 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'm being critical of preseason because of the Eagles approach to it.  Sirianni has come in here and gotten rid of OTA's and mini camps, holding the bare minimum the league requires.  He's made Training Camp a joke with practices less than 1-hour long followed by a day off.  They don't tackle.  The starters don't play more than 1 series.    

I get it, the Eagles want to stay healthy.  The truth of the matter is players are going to get injured and miss time during TC and the regular season.  

What you saw the last 2 games was a 100% reflection on the Eagles approach.  Horrible tackling and effort on defense and terrible backup QB play because practice is barely long enough to get them more than a handful of snaps.  

They can tout the joint team practices and how beneficial they are but clearly, other teams feel different.  We saw it last night with the Dolphins.  Their starters got significant playing time.  Hell, Tom Brady played more snaps this preseason than Hurts and may or may not have been off filming The Masked Singer.  

Sirianni has not discovered some magical new way of approaching practice.  Teams that practice and prepare more are going to play better than teams who don't.  

Cool I’ll read all of that the day I watch a preseason game start to finish 

57 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I can't either, but who else remembers the way the national media went insane the year Tim Tebow was with us? On the night before final cuts, the Eagles released Matt Barkley. And all over ESPN and the like, the report was "Tim Tebow has made the Eagles! Hooray!" It was national news. It was nauseating, the way they jumped massively to a conclusion that was so obviously faulty. As if by cutting Barkley, it was certain that Tebow was making the team. Of course (and thank God!), Tebow was cut the next day, leaving the Eagles with only two quarterbacks.

I don't recall who they eventually signed to be the PS quarterback or whether he was subsequently activated to the 53.

For what it's worth, my plan would be to release Sinnett and then try to sign him to the PS. It's obvious that Strong isn't making it at all.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

This.  My expectations are down after that game.  Yes they have talent at the top but it drops off severely.  If they have any injury issues at all this season it’s going to get ugly fast.

13 minutes ago, Westbrook#36 said:

Did Strong play last night? I turned it off to watch rain delay coverage of NASCAR.

Barely. From what I remember, he had one good throw and two not so good throws. He would have gotten more playing time if not for the fact that the Eagles defense couldn't stop the Dolphins from driving and taking about half of the fourth quarter off the clock.

3 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

When do they have to get to 53 by?

Tuesday at 4PM.

Archived