EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm wondering who will be our coach next season if Hurts comes out super rusty and causes us to lose games. 

He didn't come out rusty last year.  He had a great week 1.  And he really didn't look rusty in his preseason appearance this year.  The biggest thing that killed this team last year that resulted in the lack of preseason play time for starters and the shortened practices was that the team was historically bad early in the season with the amount of penalties they were compiling every week.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattwill said:

If he is on the PS does the International Player exemption carry over?

Yes

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So Hurts only played a single series this pre-season? 11 snaps? 6 passes? Or did he play more and I blinked and missed it?

I think us old guys are stuck thinking about things like the 2 or 3 quarters walkthrough of preseason game 3 a way to get ready for the season.

Preseason is just a complete joke now. Only the Ravens care about preseason games.

Players get ready in training camp, mini camps, and joint practices

18 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Eagles got a good look at Cleveland’s roster and a halfway decent look at Miami’s. I wonder if we could work some sort of trade for their fringe roster guys that Miami/Cleveland don’t see making it through waivers to the PS. 

We sniped Cleveland for Marvin Wilson last year, with the Browns hoping to sign him to their PS. Bpacc has talked a bunch about wanting one of their safeties. Maybe the Browns saw a much-improved Wilson and would like to get him back? They lost their starting center, maybe they like Jack Anderson as a versatile backup/end of the roster player. 

It would be interesting if we see a trend between preseason practice opponents trading roster bubble guys to each other based on individual team depth needs.  

14 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He didn't come out rusty last year.  He had a great week 1.  And he really didn't look rusty in his preseason appearance this year.  The biggest thing that killed this team last year that resulted in the lack of preseason play time for starters and the shortened practices was that the team was historically bad early in the season with the amount of penalties they were compiling every week.  

Wrong. He had a good, efficient week 1 with a vanilla game plan, and he made 1 tough throw the entire day.  That was also one of the worst debuts of coaching by Arthur Smith that I can ever remember.  If he wasn’t rusty weeks 2 through the Lions, then he was just simply inefficient trash that can’t lead an actual NFL passing offense.  The change of game plan to a run heavy offense is the only thing that saved face for Hurts last year. Then the playoffs happened, and we were right back to square 1. 

The one thing I find interesting about the Eagles preseason approach is it’s a total 180 of how Reid approach’s each preseason 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The one thing I find interesting about the Eagles preseason approach is it’s a total 180 of how Reid approach’s each preseason 

It is.  They actively blow it off.  

I don't feel strongly about it.  I understand the intense reluctance due to injury issues over the last few years.  These guys are professionals and are (apparently) expected to get some of the fundamentals right on their own.  They've been hitting and tackling their whole lives.  If we can prevent a few miles of wear and tear on their bodies by not beating them up in PS, then I'm all for it.  Over the next 2-3 years, we'll see if evidence does (or does not) accumulate that they aren't ready in September.  Very hard to evaluate last year, given that everything was new.

Will Parks is a name floated out there as being cut. I think I remember him kinda trashing the FO after his first uneventful stint though.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

It is.  They actively blow it off.  

I don't feel strongly about it.  I understand the intense reluctance due to injury issues over the last few years.  These guys are professionals and are (apparently) expected to get some of the fundamentals right on their own.  They've been hitting and tackling their whole lives.  If we can prevent a few miles of wear and tear on their bodies by not beating them up in PS, then I'm all for it.  Over the next 2-3 years, we'll see if evidence does (or does not) accumulate that they aren't ready in September.  Very hard to evaluate last year, given that everything was new.

Agreed. I just find it interesting how beneficial this team keeps saying joint practices are, meanwhile Reid absolutely hates and never does them. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Will Parks is a name floated out there as being cut. I think I remember him kinda trashing the FO after his first uneventful stint though.

It seems to be him being Ashtyn Davis for the final S spot. I really liked him a few years ago as a single-high safety prospect. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He really laid in to the Eagles when they cut him. 

I'm honestly struggling to find 46 players I want to keep around.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I wish there was some middle ground. I don’t think doing 2 a days with pads for most of training camp is the answer either, but I do think it helps with soft tissue injuries getting their bodies used to the hitting. However it probably also leads to more season ending issues.  It was clear last year that they weren’t prepared to start the season with all of the egregious penalties, and I think they would have benefited a lot more if they at least played some of these inexperienced starters in preseason games. 

28 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I think us old guys are stuck thinking about things like the 2 or 3 quarters walkthrough of preseason game 3 a way to get ready for the season.

Preseason is just a complete joke now. Only the Ravens care about preseason games.

Players get ready in training camp, mini camps, and joint practices

Would be nice if joint practices were televised or streamed so we can see the starters before week 1

My last non-QB critique of the Eagles before the curtain goes up on the season: this team lacks star power.  They covered the holes.  

We don't have anyone on defense that offenses will game plan around.  We don't have anyone on offense that can take over a game that you force the ball to.  OL is critical, but it's also the only unit on the team with sure-fire pro-bowler(s).  

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

My last non-QB critique of the Eagles before the curtain goes up on the season: this team lacks star power.  They covered the holes.  

We don't have anyone on defense that offenses will game plan around.  We don't have anyone on offense that can take over a game that you force the ball to.  OL is critical, but it's also the only unit on the team with sure-fire pro-bowler(s).  

I’m crossing my fingers that Jordan Davis embraces this role. 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I think you’re really underestimating AJ Brown.  

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Smith, Brown and Goedert should be a great trio

I'm worried about the RBs though

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

Will he be starting?

5 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I wish there was some middle ground. I don’t think doing 2 a days with pads for most of training camp is the answer either, but I do think it helps with soft tissue injuries getting their bodies used to the hitting. However it probably also leads to more season ending issues.  It was clear last year that they weren’t prepared to start the season with all of the egregious penalties, and I think they would have benefited a lot more if they at least played some of these inexperienced starters in preseason games. 

Don’t lie. Your a horror fan. You want non padded Oklahoma drills. 

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Will he be starting?

No, and I don’t mean immediately, but he has the talent, size, and freak athleticism to be that dude. 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I definitely have a much lower opinion of AJ Brown than most around here.

6 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I think he has the potential to get there, but not this year as a rookie.

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I was going to say the same thing. If Brown isn't one of those players, how many of those caliber of players are there? Like 5 maybe

Archived