EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

43 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

One thing to consider when it comes to the teams depth is that all falls on Howie and his draft picks.  Yes, the last 2 years have brought more positives than negatives but you can't continue to miss or straight up ignore the mid-rounds of the draft.  You always hear, that's where teams are built.  Just because guys make the roster and add depth however, doesn't mean they are good.

Over the last 5 drafts they could have had 25 players drafted between the 3rd and 7th rounds but with trades and whatnot, they came away with 24.

I have 12 out of 24 players here as locks with Taylor, Tuipuotu, Wallace and the Johnsons on the edge. 

Out of those you have 3 starters, including Maddox.  Gainwell and Watkins are solid contributors.  The rest are still TBD.  Dean, McPhearson and Calcaterra all could have roles.  The rest are depth players, which you want.

What I don't like is that in 3 out of the last 5 drafts, the Eagles have gone 98, 81 and 76 consecutive picks without having a pick.  Anytime you let essentially 2 rounds pass between picks, there's going to be a drop in talent available.  

2022- no picks in the 4th, 5th, 7th. Dean (3rd),  Calcaterra (6th), Johnson (6th),  Calcaterra, 98 players were taken or equivalent of 3 players per team.

2021- Solid but still TBD.  Williams (3rd), McPhearson (4th), Gainwell (5th), Tuipulotu (6th), Jackson (6th), Stevens (6th), Johnson (7th)

2020- Taylor (3rd), Wallace (4th), Driscoll (4th), Hightower (5th), Bradley (6th), Watkins (6th), Prince (6th), Toohill (7th)

2019- no picks in 3rd, 6th or 7th.   Shareef Miller (4th), Clayton Thorson (5th).  No 6th or 7th WHAT A HORRIBLE DRAFT.  81 players between JJAW and Miller.

2018- no picks in 3rd or 5th. Maddox (4th), Sweat (4th), Pryor (6th), Mailata (7th).   76 players between Goedert and Maddox. 

When you're picking after #100, the odds of even finding a dependable backup fall below 50%. A solid starter is more like 10-15%.

Which is why you need to hit on some UDFAs and waiver wire acquisitions to fill out a roster.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I thought he looked OK in limited action last year. At least he wasn’t picked on. 

Sounds like he’s been up and down in camp, with a lot of his downs in 1 on 1 without safety help. 

I don’t think you could make an argument about putting any of the other backup corners over him at this point. He’s the locked in CB4.

I agree that he's making the team. They like him a lot. Who do you think has played better this pre-season? McPhearson or Jobe.

How many players at PS this season?  Is it still the same as last season that team can protect player and move them to and from the roster each week?  Too many changes each season.

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

I agree that he's making the team. They like him a lot. Who do you think has played better this pre-season? McPhearson or Jobe.

McPhearson. Jobe started out bad but steadily improved before he was injured. The other CBs . . . meh.

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

McPherson, although what Jobe did is probably more impressive to me given he's a UDFA rookie. 

7 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

How many players at PS this season?  Is it still the same as last season that team can protect player and move them to and from the roster each week?  Too many changes each season.

They tweaked the rules. From my understanding it’s 16 players, 6 can be veterans with any amount of experience and they can be game day elevations three times. It’s unclear to me if they still are allowing protection designations. 

Guest justrelax
2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I'm being critical of preseason because of the Eagles approach to it.  Sirianni has come in here and gotten rid of OTA's and mini camps, holding the bare minimum the league requires.  He's made Training Camp a joke with practices less than 1-hour long followed by a day off.  They don't tackle.  The starters don't play more than 1 series.    

I get it, the Eagles want to stay healthy.  The truth of the matter is players are going to get injured and miss time during TC and the regular season.  

What you saw the last 2 games was a 100% reflection on the Eagles approach.  Horrible tackling and effort on defense and terrible backup QB play because practice is barely long enough to get them more than a handful of snaps.  

They can tout the joint team practices and how beneficial they are but clearly, other teams feel different.  We saw it last night with the Dolphins.  Their starters got significant playing time.  Hell, Tom Brady played more snaps this preseason than Hurts and may or may not have been off filming The Masked Singer.  

Sirianni has not discovered some magical new way of approaching practice.  Teams that practice and prepare more are going to play better than teams who don't.  

They now have two weeks until the opener. They knew they would have this time. Playing anything but scrubs in this nothing game would have been a crime - well, they had to play some second stringers just to have enough bodies. They had been home for - what? - one day in two weeks? The Dolphins played starters. Whoop-dee-doo. The Dolphins also begged off Friday's joint practice. The Eagles worked. They had four practices, three scrimmages, and two games in 12 days.

You don't think Sirianni saw this coming? He's gotten the team through the preseason with a few soft tissue injuries and little else. No Tyron Smith out for the year, etc. And he's got two weeks for prep with a healthy squad.

What in heaven's name could have been gained by playing starters at this stage? Their bodies are going to take a tremendous beating for 17+ games. Just because a guy may not be on an injured list doesn't mean he isn't hurting.

It may turn out that you're right and I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Also the IR rule is a pretty big change. You only have to miss 4 games if put on IR and a player can go to IR and come back twice now but only 8 times total can a player be activated from IR.

13 minutes ago, RLC said:

I couldn’t say I’ve paid close enough attention to say. 

25 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I think he was always destined for the PS.

Siriani saying they wanted to get minshew and sunnet the most reps because they needed it is part coach speak and part idiotic.

So two backup qbs nerd tons of work but the rest of the starters need 6 snaps total in preseason???

Maybe eagles are worried if they put too much of strong on film a team will poach him and are just trying to get him to the PS since they gave him that big signing bonus. Maybe he just really sucks, I can't imagine he's worse than Sinnet, nor after giving sinnett so many snaps would I think, this is a guy we should keep around...

Strong basically got a 5th round signing bonus and if cut wouldn't be the first ever 5th rounder to be cut as a rookie.

Siriani praised him in rookie camp, so between there and the start of TC, something did him in.   
 Howell, Willis, Corral, Ridder, and Zappe were  all getting a decent amount of reps at the start of TC, even Purdy was with San Fran, but Strong was only getting 3-4 passes per practice.  Willis and Ridder are 2nd string so that’s understandable, but not the rest. 

I was always out on Dean as a first round prospect but thought he was pretty good value in the third. I thought he had an ok game 1 but other than that he’s been disappointing. He can always improve but my concern is he always was considered "the smartest guy on the field in college”, so it might be harder for a guy like him who might just be tapped physically. He’s like a bizarro Davion Taylor in a way.

In hindsight, I’d rather haven taken Willis. 

So we can finally recap Carson Strong now that the preseason has concluded.  No player received as much hype and optimistic outlook for this season in the blog than Carson Strong did this past summer.  Many seriously believed and argued their belief that not only would he be making the team but he would ultimately surpass Jalen as the starter at some point this season or at the very least position himself to where the Eagles would be first focusing on going with Strong as the #1 option if Jalen Hurts played this upcoming season to a level where the Eagles decided to move on.  

Carson Strong 2022 Preseason Stats: 1/4, 6 yards, 0 TDs, 1.5 YPA & a 39.58 QB rating.  

rock-clapping.gif

19 minutes ago, austinfan said:

McPhearson. Jobe started out bad but steadily improved before he was injured. The other CBs . . . meh.

McPhearson has definitely been the better of the two. I thought Jobe looked awful against the Jets. For what it's worth, I've been pleased with Gowan. To me, he's flashed on special teams. He'd make my 53, certainly ahead of guys like Vincent and McCain. And Goodrich.

I still like Chachere because he was their best ST player last year.

As far as safety is concerned, I don't know how you can cut Blankenship. The dude seems to get into every tackle. Guys like that can be demons on ST.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I was always out on Dean as a first round prospect but thought he was pretty good value in the third. I thought he had an ok game 1 but other than that he’s been disappointing. He can always improve but my concern is he always was considered "the smartest guy on the field in college”, so it might be harder for a guy like him who might just be tapped physically. He’s like a bizarro Davion Taylor in a way.

In hindsight, I’d rather haven taken Willis. 

That was a knock on TJ Edwards and a reason that he went undrafted.  Not undersized but does not have the speed for the NFL.  Just a really smart LB in college.  But Edwards become possibly our best LB.  Players with high football IQ are only going to get better over time in the NFL because as they continue to gain experience and learn the offenses at the pro level that they are going against they continue to learn and improve from it.  Nakobe Dean will only improve with time.  When he isn't thinking like a rookie trying to learn and is out there with the knowledge of a vet playing chess as the on field captain for the defense and making sure everyone is lined up and calling out what he sees to his teammates and then acting instinctively when the ball is snapped to make a play based off what he has studied and sees coming then we will truly see what Dean has to offer.  

Dean will be one of the better players on this entire defense by his 3rd year.  Willis might just be a backup QB in this league. 

A reminder...the regular season thread will be opened tomorrow.

Get all of your complaints about last night's performance by players not making the team, and how it is a direct reflection of Hurts' limitations and Howie's incompetence, out of the way today.

Depth didn't look good in preseason. Not sure if that's the way Nick handled the offseason or Howie's selection. Possibly both

Are Kelce and Sanders going to play week 1?

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For all you guys that missed it, yesterday jsb was gonna call me out in a separate thread and make me quit the board.  I don't think it went as he intended.

https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/topic/6829-my-thread-versus-downundermike/#comments

I gotta be honest here. I don't care. I'm just happy this thread isn't being polluted by back-and-forth crap.

So Hurts only played a single series this pre-season? 11 snaps? 6 passes? Or did he play more and I blinked and missed it?

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That was a knock on TJ Edwards and a reason that he went undrafted.  Not undersized but does not have the speed for the NFL.  Just a really smart LB in college.  But Edwards become possibly our best LB.  Players with high football IQ are only going to get better over time in the NFL because as they continue to gain experience and learn the offenses at the pro level that they are going against they continue to learn and improve from it.  Nakobe Dean will only improve with time.  When he isn't thinking like a rookie trying to learn and is out there with the knowledge of a vet playing chess as the on field captain for the defense and making sure everyone is lined up and calling out what he sees to his teammates and then acting instinctively when the ball is snapped to make a play based off what he has studied and sees coming then we will truly see what Dean has to offer.  

Dean will be one of the better players on this entire defense by his 3rd year.  Willis might just be a backup QB in this league. 

Maybe. This is just my knee jerk analysis after one preseason. If Dean is going to become a stud he’s going to have to improve something that should already be a strength for him which will be a harder ask than if he had the size and raw skill but didn’t know what he was doing. For the type of prospect he is, I think he should have flashed more than he did. 

4 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So Hurts only played a single series this pre-season? 11 snaps? 6 passes? Or did he play more and I blinked and missed it?

Nope that’s it. Basically the same as last year (10 snaps, 7 passes)

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That’s it.  I believe the least of any starting QB.

Archived