EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

38 minutes ago, justrelax said:

They now have two weeks until the opener. They knew they would have this time. Playing anything but scrubs in this nothing game would have been a crime - well, they had to play some second stringers just to have enough bodies. They had been home for - what? - one day in two weeks? The Dolphins played starters. Whoop-dee-doo. The Dolphins also begged off Friday's joint practice. The Eagles worked. They had four practices, three scrimmages, and two games in 12 days.

You don't think Sirianni saw this coming? He's gotten the team through the preseason with a few soft tissue injuries and little else. No Tyron Smith out for the year, etc. And he's got two weeks for prep with a healthy squad.

What in heaven's name could have been gained by playing starters at this stage? Their bodies are going to take a tremendous beating for 17+ games. Just because a guy may not be on an injured list doesn't mean he isn't hurting.

It may turn out that you're right and I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

These games are about getting backups and PS players game time, both for evaluation purposes, but also for these players to understand how much work they need to put in to get to even "quality backup" level. And the taste of game action prepares them for a call up later in the season.

The idea that playing two series two weeks before the season starts will "prepare" starters is kinda silly. Yes, they'll have a little rust the first quarter of the first game, after that, muscle memory takes over.  The starters got far more reps in the scrimmages than they would have gotten playing a half of an exhibition game.

The bigger issue is playing together, knowing where your teammates will be, whether it's passing over a block or a WR in zone coverage. And that is where practice is more valuable than a quarter of exhibition play - you practice until your timing becomes second nature.

Somehow players come back after a month out with injuries without missing a beat. If you have 40 or 50 NFL starts under your belt, you know what to expect and how to play the game. And for some players, it comes faster than others - Jurgens looked like a NFL veteran the first time he played.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So Hurts only played a single series this pre-season? 11 snaps? 6 passes? Or did he play more and I blinked and missed it?

Nick values joint practices more for starters

48 minutes ago, justrelax said:

What in heaven's name could have been gained by playing starters at this stage? Their bodies are going to take a tremendous beating for 17+ games. Just because a guy may not be on an injured list doesn't mean he isn't hurting.

We could be running a harder camp in TB complaining about losing Jensen and Stinnie for the season, and Hainsey being injured for the second time in 3 preseason games.  That OL is banged up to the point it could sewer their season.

37 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

McPhearson has definitely been the better of the two. I thought Jobe looked awful against the Jets. For what it's worth, I've been pleased with Gowan. To me, he's flashed on special teams. He'd make my 53, certainly ahead of guys like Vincent and McCain. And Goodrich.

I still like Chachere because he was their best ST player last year.

As far as safety is concerned, I don't know how you can cut Blankenship. The dude seems to get into every tackle. Guys like that can be demons on ST.

Jobe was awful against the Jets, but substantially improved since.

Gowan is just too handsies - he's a PI penalty on almost every play - they need to beat that out of him, so I see a year on the PS. The talent is there, but mentally he needs more confidence in his coverage and stop trying to break up every play by grabbing.

Chachere was up and down in camp, but they have real game film that shows he can play.

24 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A reminder...the regular season thread will be opened tomorrow.

Get all of your complaints about last night's performance by players not making the team, and how it is a direct reflection of Hurts' limitations and Howie's incompetence, out of the way today.

Angry Joey - Reaction GIFs

Hang on, I'm not done...

Angry Fist GIFs | Tenor

Ok, I'm good. On to Detroit.

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Nick values joint practices more for starters

I'm wondering who will be our coach next season if Hurts comes out super rusty and causes us to lose games. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

We could be running a harder camp in TB complaining about losing Jensen and Stinnie for the season, and Hainsey being injured for the second time in 3 preseason games.  That OL is banged up to the point it could sewer their season.

It's a long freakin' season, beating up your team in pre-season is counter productive. It's not just losing guys to injury, but the dings add up, you don't want to start the season beat up.

At worst it means they struggle a little more for a quarter or so of the first game - but after 2 or 3 series you'd be about where players would be if they played a full game's worth in the exhibition games (and starters rarely play that much) - because those reps are spread over 3 weeks with a 2 week break before the first game. So you're still going to have rust.

By the second half of the Lion's game players should be in regular season mode.

27 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

A reminder...the regular season thread will be opened tomorrow.

Get all of your complaints about last night's performance by players not making the team, and how it is a direct reflection of Hurts' limitations and Howie's incompetence, out of the way today.

Matt Leo is awful. Howie should really be held accountable for that one. What a waste of resources. 

5 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You've set the bar for a QB exceedingly low with this comment.  

200.gif

I was being purposely obtuse.  I followed that post by putting downundermike back on ignore. 

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

I was being purposely obtuse.  I followed that post by putting downundermike back on ignore. 

Check out this guy @4for4EaglesNest, another one who has to hide behind ignore after getting wrecked

27 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Jobe was awful against the Jets, but substantially improved since.

Gowan is just too handsies - he's a PI penalty on almost every play - they need to beat that out of him, so I see a year on the PS. The talent is there, but mentally he needs more confidence in his coverage and stop trying to break up every play by grabbing.

Chachere was up and down in camp, but they have real game film that shows he can play.

In hindsight they should of kept Rodney McLeod for the season, he’s still better than Smith and Chachere. 

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think you mean 2016 with Wentz and Daniels. 

2017 Had Wentz, Foles and Sudfeid

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

I think you mean 2016 with Wentz and Daniels. 

2017 Had Wentz, Foles and Sudfeid

Sudfeld was on the PS the first 10 or so weeks. It was just Wentz/Foles. Then it eventually became just Foles/Sudfeld 

8 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

In hindsight they should of kept Rodney McLeod for the season, he’s still better than Smith and Chachere. 

Probably better than Harris too 

56 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I gotta be honest here. I don't care. I'm just happy this thread isn't being polluted by back-and-forth crap.

Agreed, which is why I put downundermike back on ignore.

51 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So Hurts only played a single series this pre-season? 11 snaps? 6 passes? Or did he play more and I blinked and missed it?

I think two series? Could be wrong. 

Also please I want to see "Eaglephan1986” in green. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

By most accounts Jackson has had a good camp, and I thought he was disruptive in last week’s game. I think he’s close to a lock. 

Allen will be 28 this season, and I’m not sure he has enough WR talent to stash on the 53. IMO, he would need to be a starting gunner to make it. 

I hope we’re able to find a safety we like at cut downs a la Marcus Epps. If the Niners cut Jordan Mason, he’d be a nice fit in our RB room. The same with Keontay Ingram of Arizona. At the very least, I hope to see a running back on the PS who is better than Huntley or Brooks. Brooks just doesn’t have the burst to be an NFL contributor. 

If only Huntley could read his blockers and holes like Brooks. But neither has burst through the line.  

50 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe. This is just my knee jerk analysis after one preseason. If Dean is going to become a stud he’s going to have to improve something that should already be a strength for him which will be a harder ask than if he had the size and raw skill but didn’t know what he was doing. For the type of prospect he is, I think he should have flashed more than he did. 

I think Dean was a victim of Edwards, that is, Edwards has improved so much that he's overshadowed Dean and limited his reps with the 1s.

Dean, like Edwards, won't shine in a simple scheme where athleticism is more obvious than instincts - which is what you see in pre-season.

And like most young players who aren't uber-athletes, he'll benefit from a NFL training program as well as getting enough experience to be able to play more instinctively.

Georgia is a major college program, but watching the Eagle 2/3s against the Miami starters should make it obvious the huge gap between college ball and the NFL. Even for players from Georgia and Alabama, the NFL is still a big jump.

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Jackson might have been good in camp, but he's in bad in all 3 games. I do agree with you that I think he makes it because they link him.

If not Allen, who are the 2 gunners on this team? Chachere played gunner too, but he's also on the roster bubble.

Jackson has been playing DE for a significant part of the games with no rest on both sides of the line.  The other DE has been Matt Leo with some edge play from the Johnsons. 

35 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Matt Leo is awful. Howie should really be held accountable for that one. What a waste of resources. 

You do realize, I hope, that he has an exemption and doesn’t count against the roster limits. I’m curious what resources are being wasted.

I still think the Eagles poach a QB from another roster. If Hurts or Minshew got hurt we’d have zero depth. 

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

You do realize, I hope, that he has an exemption and doesn’t count against the roster limits. I’m curious what resources are being wasted.

I thought I laid it on thick enough…. 

Jacob Eason is projected to get cut by Seattle. Talent wise he’s definitely an upgrade over Sinnett. He was with Siri in Indy. 

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Jacob Eason is projected to get cut by Seattle. Talent wise he’s definitely an upgrade over Sinnett. He was with Siri in Indy. 

Or maybe whomever Indy cuts — Coan or Ehlinger. 

Archived