Playstation 5

opengeo

6 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Ooooh a special gift! What was it?

8 avatars. Guessing only available via this direct purchase. Each one has a white ring bordering it 

5 hours ago, What The F said:

You know the ukn rules....

I should see if my ring caught anything...

4 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Lots of issues with the controller acting weird and bricked consoles apparently. People are freaking out, lol.

Played through quite a bit of Astro. No issues before going into... rest... at 1015 to go get BWW

3 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I guess the keys to limit that risk are to not do the ps4 to ps5 transfer, to update the controller firmware immediately, to avoid rest mode entirely and turn it off completely in all the settings, and to not plug anything into the LAN and USB ports except for the controller. 

Did the PS4 to ps5 transfer via LAN (I put all my PS4 games on external usb HDD this past weekend, so all that was left is the save data type files). On my initial console start, had me hardwire controller and update software... when done I plugged the second controller in and it did the same thing.  Put in rest mode when leaving 90 mins ago to go grab food. Used LAN between PS4 and PS5 and then after moved to ps5 onto the shelf where PS4 was and hardwired the LAN. Also plugged the external HDD with all my PS4  games into front USB-A. Yelled at me to plug it into rear 3.0 port. Been there since. Lots of random pop up notifications were going on as I’m guessing it was synchronizing stuff? 

4 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I should see if my ring caught anything...

Be careful.  Last time I did that I ended up married with 2 kids.  

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Do you know... If the PS5 is run thru an Atmos receiver, then to a tv/projector and you are using it to watch a blue ray/uhd disc movie with an Atmos track.... does it work?  Or does the ps5 not pass Atmos from the console to the AVR?

According to their FAQ, atmos should work in passthrough but not sure why it wasn't for me. Maybe there's another setting I missed somewhere, but I still have my xbox for this which is what I'm planning to use for movies anyway.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

According to their FAQ, atmos should work in passthrough but not sure why it wasn't for me. Maybe there's another setting I missed somewhere, but I still have my xbox for this which is what I'm planning to use for movies anyway.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

I prefer PS, and I'm trying to declutter my media room. If I can get it to take the place of my 4k player that would be awesome.  But no Atmos is obviously a deal breaker

4 minutes ago, What The F said:

I prefer PS, and I'm trying to declutter my media room. If I can get it to take the place of my 4k player that would be awesome.  But no Atmos is obviously a deal breaker

I need to keep the xbox around for one guide and for Netflix atmos support. Nothing else I own supports atmos for Netflix.

8 minutes ago, Machine said:

Lol just got an order is delayed message best buy.  Cool 

I should be ok since mine is in UPS hands. Although best buy charged my credit card then credited it back...... So I have no idea

Got all the astro trophies. Did well on 2 of the 8 speed run levels 

C84CA0F2-4AB8-40EE-B152-97B1CC82B14C.jpeg

E1FBC055-A219-4B23-8BEC-CC2B42A42157.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, What The F said:

Have to imagine some issues are happening because people are inpatient and firing the damn thing up straight off a cold truck. Electronics need to get to room temperature. 

Also everyone knows launch systems are going to have some bugs so instead of just taking their time they are overloading the system right out the gate trying to make it do everything at once. 

Well my playstation just arrived at a UPS facility an hour from my house. Hopefully they bring it tomorrow instead of Monday. 

47 minutes ago, opengeo said:

No issues here. Not sure why so many others are having problems. Bizarre.

Some people just have no luck. My xbox 360 , ps3 and ps4 were all dead on arrival lol

So I'm preparing for that for the ps5

3 hours ago, opengeo said:

No issues here. Not sure why so many others are having problems. Bizarre.

I'd attribute a significant portion to user error. 

zelda-ii-i-am-error.png

Playing miles morales now. Graphics look very similar to the first game. Definitely a bit better frame rate... some good particles and better shadows/lighting. But overall for me, this game does not come across as a next gen game. Maybe I’m being a tough critic but i expected a significant boost in performance and graphics here. My hunch is many of this other games which are nowhere near ready will take things to the next level. 

23 minutes ago, opengeo said:

Playing miles morales now. Graphics look very similar to the first game. Definitely a bit better frame rate... some good particles and better shadows/lighting. But overall for me, this game does not come across as a next green game. Maybe I’m being a tough critic but i expected a significant boost in performance and graphics here. My hunch is many of this other games which are nowhere near ready will take things to the next level. 

I was watching a lot of reviews and reading up on a lot as well. Seems to me as of right now none of the games will be able to handle everything. If you want frame rate then you sacrifice 4k and ray tracing. If you want ray tracing you sacrifice frame rate and so on. The one guy I was listening to said he has the best graphics card for PC in the market today and he said he can't even consistently get ray tracing 4k and frame rate all at once. He doesn't think PS5 will ever be able to reach that he said with some patches you might be able to get ray tracing with better frame rate but, it will really be pushing the system actually get everything it is supposed to offer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, opengeo said:

Playing miles morales now. Graphics look very similar to the first game. Definitely a bit better frame rate... some good particles and better shadows/lighting. But overall for me, this game does not come across as a next green game. Maybe I’m being a tough critic but i expected a significant boost in performance and graphics here. My hunch is many of this other games which are nowhere near ready will take things to the next level. 

We'll probably have to wait for horizon forbidden west or the first naughty dog game to get a good idea of what it can do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

We'll probably have to wait for horizon forbidden west or the first naughty dog game to get a good idea of what it can do.

Probably depends on your tv as well. Most of what I've been seeing the games look beautiful. I don't think graphics making a big jump were ever really a selling point for this generation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opengeo said:

Playing as well tonight after platinuming Astro yesterday. The fighting feels more challenging to start. Maybe because it’s a sequel and I’m jumping in after years away. Only one fast travel so far which was story-related. Seemed good but also was pre-programmed so will want to test that later 

• Like 1

Just had my first crash. Got a trophy and then the screen went black and the console turned off. Couldn't turn it back on with the controller, had to use the power button on the console.

39 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

0 so far still here. Decently far into Miles

I was talking to a guy at work who is strictly a PC gamer. I told him not to tell me but, he said he saw the ending of Miles and he said that ending was enough for him to want a PS5 now

18 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Just had my first crash. Got a trophy and then the screen went black and the console turned off. Couldn't turn it back on with the controller, had to use the power button on the console.

So, this is a thing?  I had it happen just a bit ago while playing Miles Morales.  Everything just suddenly cut off.  It restarted ok, though I haven’t used it any more since to see if everything is still intact.  Had the same thing happen while trying to do the PS4 to PS5 data transfer when I first set it up.  It was taking forever, and then all of a sudden cut off.  Both times it’s cut off it’s then switched HDMI inputs as well, to the satellite TV.   When I restarted it that time I no longer had the "talk through” set-up option available, even though I’d seen a message about everything being restored to factory defaults (this was done automatically when it cut-off, not a choice made by me).  Have played a fair amount of Astro in the interim between the kids and I without issue, so not feeling too concerned yet, but if it’s something that is happening frequently elsewhere too perhaps I should be...

On 11/13/2020 at 8:10 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Probably depends on your tv as well. Most of what I've been seeing the games look beautiful. I don't think graphics making a big jump were ever really a selling point for this generation. 

Yeah but it really is. Subtly.  The way light is now in games completely changes the game, add in 60 fps and it feels next gen.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was talking to a guy at work who is strictly a PC gamer. I told him not to tell me but, he said he saw the ending of Miles and he said that ending was enough for him to want a PS5 now

I have to be pretty deep now but not finished. Played a solid 8+ hours today I want to say, plus a solid chunk yesterday. 

in other news, gamed from 830a through noon, then probably 2-830pm before getting low battery warning