Quez Watkins

bigdog54

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Not yet for me.

Brown fumbled yesterday, does he need your forgiveness?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Brown fumbled yesterday, does he need your forgiveness?

And on Monday night he wasn't at it. He's in the bad books now. 

Andy used to regularly start games with a deep ball to Pinkston in the first few plays.  It rarely resulted in a completion.  After all, McNabb was McNabb and Pinkston was Pinkston.  But now & then there was a PI call.  And, more than that, defenses were reminded that they couldn't just cheat up and ignore the deep-ball possibility.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar play in the first series now.  With Hurts to Quez, an actual completed pass is probably more likely than anything involving Pinkston ever.  More than that, it would tell DCs that they can't just cheat up and focus on the short stuff.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Andy used to regularly start games with a deep ball to Pinkston in the first few plays.  It rarely resulted in a completion.  After all, McNabb was McNabb and Pinkston was Pinkston.  But now & then there was a PI call.  And, more than that, defenses were reminded that they couldn't just cheat up and ignore the deep-ball possibility.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar play in the first series now.  With Hurts to Quez, an actual completed pass is probably more likely than anything involving Pinkston ever.  More than that, it would tell DCs that they can't just cheat up and focus on the short stuff.

Pinkston caught his fair share of bombs.

Ripping on pinkston is lazy, the eagles won a super bowl with a pinkston with torrey smith whose main role as the Z was to keep the deep safety honest.

Pinkston was no world beater but he could get deep and keep safeties honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Pinkston caught his fair share of bombs.

A few, but he was often out-muscled.  That same fact meant that physicality that would have been shrugged off by Brown drew PI calls for Pinkston.  Getting those PI calls was one of his offensive skills.  Either way, opening the game by stretching the field early made the rest of the offense more effective.

Quez can do that.  And I think he can probably do it better than Pinkston did...  IF the Eagles will use him for that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

A few, but he was often out-muscled.  That same fact meant that physicality that would have been shrugged off by Brown drew PI calls for Pinkston.  Getting those PI calls was one of his offensive skills.  Either way, opening the game by stretching the field early made the rest of the offense more effective.

Quez can do that.  And I think he can probably do it better than Pinkston did...  IF the Eagles will use him for that.

I think hurts not being able to consistently push the ball down field may be more of a reason those shots don't happen more so than Watkins.

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

I think hurts not being able to consistently push the ball down field may be more of a reason those shots don't happen more so than Watkins.

Very possible.  But he has shown decent accuracy on occasion.  And the OL should be able to give him the needed time.  Maybe, with Goedert out for a bit, we'll see that sort of thing a little more now.  I hope so.

1 minute ago, ilikepargo said:

Very possible.  But he has shown decent accuracy on occasion.  And the OL should be able to give him the needed time.  Maybe, with Goedert out for a bit, we'll see that sort of thing a little more now.  I hope so.

Yeah I hope so to.

The last few weeks I've been calling for hurts to drop a few bombs to either Watkins or smith, apparently Siri didn't hear me through my TV 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I should email him😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Maybe I should email him😁

Or maybe he'll read this thread and take our advice!!!  :excited:

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:12 PM, ilikepargo said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar play in the first series now.  With Hurts to Quez, an actual completed pass is probably more likely than anything involving Pinkston ever.  More than that, it would tell DCs that they can't just cheat up and focus on the short stuff.[

I'd see what happens with Tyree Jackson 50 yards downfield. 6'7 249 4.59 34.5 vert.

On 11/22/2022 at 6:12 PM, ilikepargo said:

On 11/22/2022 at 9:02 PM, Utebird said:

Yeah I think this is a good idea and you also have AJ Brown, who isn't a quick, but is still a deep threat with his hands and physicality. Can pick your matchup and hopefully avoid double coverage 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

I'd see what happens with Tyree Jackson 50 yards downfield. 6'7 249 4.59 34.5 vert.

Good numbers there.

How are his hands though? Can he catch the ball?

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I think this is a good idea and you also have AJ Brown, who isn't a quick, but is still a deep threat with his hands and physicality. Can pick your matchup and hopefully avoid double coverage 

Those shot plays happen and are taken because a number of factors have been satisfied. Often they are on a 2nd or 3rd and short yardage situation. Often they occur when a team crosses the 50 yard line. And being able to run the ball effectively and use play-action has a big impact. Every team has deep threats and a QB that can get the ball to them. Just a matter of getting into the right position to attempt those plays. And the Eagles have struggled with that the last 3 weeks.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, Utebird said:

I'm also beginning  to think this is an issue also, most deep balls to Watkins are underthrown. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Another Quez TD.

Yeah but he made that one mistake

• Like 2

Quez is our fourth receiver (including Philly G) and he produces and plays well. You aren't going to get Megatron or Adams or Fitz as your WR3. Give the kid a break, he does what is asked of him more often than not, and very seldom makes terrible mistakes. We are lucky to have him.

11 hours ago, rrfierce said:

quez stepped up since that drop. great to see.

And to be fair that fumble was kind of a freak play. Does he have to do better? Of course he does but he's trying to get in to the end zone there and ultimately he just makes a mistake. But he's a really good WR. And he's the WR #4 when a year ago he was WR #2.

• 3 weeks later...

Steichen needs to realize that those long handoffs to Watkins isn't working because Watkins isn't a very good runner with the ball is in his hands.

Watkins has to realize that more often than not getting the corner won't be attainable, he has to look for the cutback/cutup and have enough heart to take it.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

Steichen needs to realize that those long handoffs to Watkins isn't working because Watkins isn't a very good runner with the ball is in his hands.

Watkins has to realize that more often than not getting the corner won't be attainable, he has to look for the cutback/cutup and have enough heart to take it.

So is Watkins still better than Smith in your opinion or have you finally saw reason? 

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, brkmsn said:

I like Quez. He could probably be a good WR2, but we already have 2 better WRs. Our WR3 doesn't get a lot of looks because we don't pass as much as other teams and have one of the most efficient pass catching TEs. I'd like to see him get used a little bit more.

Yeah I don’t know about Quez being a good number 2. Not yet anyways. I think he’s a better option in the seems than on the sidelines. He isn’t great at breaking tackles or being elusive in traffic. He doesn’t have elite level hands and seem like the type of player who could be easily pushed out of bounds on catches rather than making the feet in bounds type plays. Screens to Watkins go nowhere. Reverses to Watkins go nowhere. Would Watkins have made that play Smith made on third down inside the 5 where he broke tackles to get that first down against Chicago? I don’t think so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I don’t know about Quez being a good number 2. Not yet anyways. I think he’s a better option in the seems than on the sidelines. He isn’t great at breaking tackles or being elusive in traffic. He doesn’t have elite level hands and seem like the type of player who could be easily pushed out of bounds on catches rather than making the feet in bounds type plays. Screens to Watkins go nowhere. Reverses to Watkins go nowhere. Would Watkins have made that play Smith made on third down inside the 5 where he broke tackles to get that first down against Chicago? I don’t think so. 

No only smith gets that first down 

#3 WR with speed to replace/compete with Watkins should be looked at in the later rounds of the draft 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peacekeeper said:

No only smith gets that first down 

#3 WR with speed to replace/compete with Watkins should be looked at in the later rounds of the draft 

The Eagles have to really think about their plans for that 3rd receiver soon. His final year is next year. I like his vertical speed, but I don’t like how little he brings in other areas especially on special teams. The thing is he’s still developing too so I don’t want them to give up on him, but do you give him a sizable extension based on assumed development? I don’t have that answer. 

46 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles have to really think about their plans for that 3rd receiver soon. His final year is next year. I like his vertical speed, but I don’t like how little he brings in other areas especially on special teams. The thing is he’s still developing too so I don’t want them to give up on him, but do you give him a sizable extension based on assumed development? I don’t have that answer. 

Years ago skill position players in high school saw that RBs didn't get the 2nd contract in the NFL and the best have all switched to WR.  Every year there are 4-5 rounds of WRs in the draft that can play in the league.  Speed WRs can be had in the 3rd and 4th rounds, so this kid will be easy to replace should the FO determine there are better options in April.