Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

4 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Pretty much the best news we could’ve hoped for 

That's great and all but will the grip strength still be there or will he be a shell of himself for the remainder of the season?  And by then, will we be 15 games out of first or 20?  

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

That's great and all but will the grip strength still be there or will he be a shell of himself for the remainder of the season?  And by then, will we be 15 games out of first or 20?  

I doubt they’ll still be in contention but it’s still the best outcome we could’ve hoped for.

• Like 1

We'll be fine with The Mick, Veerling, and Odubbel. No worries.

3 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

We'll be fine with The Mick, Veerling, and Odubbel. No worries.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Kruk's act is tiresome

I actually don't like when he's so partisan. I expect favorability, but don't want openly partisan.

I also don't like being uneducated about things he should be educated about.  For instance, that Angels/Mariners fight.  He said the Rangers, then was corrected, then said the teams look the same, and then said the American League doesn't matter anyway.  I can find any idiot that can give commentary that awful.  The commentator should be able to get basic facts about a significant event in the past week correct, and should show general interest in pretty much everything baseball: American League, the minor leagues, the College World Series, and even prospects in places like the Japanese leagues or in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Please don’t trade a really good prospect like painter or Abel for a guy who likely walks away in a year and for a team that might be too far back by the time you make the trade 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another guy that only plays 1 position, which is first. Holy crap, how many 1st basemen do they have on this roster? 6? 7? 

Moniak and Haseley were left handed bats. Maybe if one of those busts could actually play, we might not be in the position of hoping this guy might be an answer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Moniak and Haseley were left handed bats. Maybe if one of those busts could actually play, we might not be in the position of hoping this guy might be an answer.

I’d like to thank Matt useless klentak and his player development staff for such great picks 

48 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d like to thank Matt useless klentak and his player development staff for such great picks 

What I'm depressed about these days is the realization that Bohm isn't really any good either. I had already given up hope on Moniak when Bohm came up, and I was pleased with his rookie year, abbreviated as it was. I figured he'd be a future .290 type bat with 20-25 HR power. Solid OPS guy around .850-.900. Quality offensive player, albeit with some defensive deficiencies. But at this point, I think he is what he is. A .250 hitter who might hit a dozen home runs while hardly ever walking. OPS around .700 tops. In other words, a below average offensive player.

We really, really need for Abel and Painter to be the real deal. Because the bats we've drafted over the past ten years or so have been garbage. I guess I'm still hopeful on Stott (he has a nice swing), but the early returns have kinda been on par with what we've been getting of late.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

What I'm depressed about these days is the realization that Bohm isn't really any good either. I had already given up hope on Moniak when Bohm came up, and I was pleased with his rookie year, abbreviated as it was. I figured he'd be a future .290 type bat with 20-25 HR power. Solid OPS guy around .850-.900. Quality offensive player, albeit with some defensive deficiencies. But at this point, I think he is what he is. A .250 hitter who might hit a dozen home runs while hardly ever walking. OPS around .700 tops. In other words, a below average offensive player.

We really, really need for Abel and Painter to be the real deal. Because the bats we've drafted over the past ten years or so have been garbage. I guess I'm still hopeful on Stott (he has a nice swing), but the early returns have kinda been on par with what we've been getting of late.

Yup it’s super sad they haven’t had a good hitting prospects besides hoskins if you consider him good. They really should take pitchers early and middle and late just try to develop everyday guys . I think that’s the way you should draft cause you can never have enough pitchers. I think you can find good everyday players in the middle rounds more than top quality pitching. 

i think stott will be a solid 2nd baseman. They really need him to turn it on second half or look more competent. I think if they get someone like trea turner it’ll push stott to just second base. We also really need a centerfielder. We haven’t had one that’s been consistently good since our 07-11 run. 

also this lol 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup it’s super sad they haven’t had a good hitting prospects besides hoskins if you consider him good. They really should take pitchers early and middle and late just try to develop everyday guys . I think that’s the way you should draft cause you can never have enough pitchers. I think you can find good everyday players in the middle rounds more than top quality pitching. 

i think stott will be a solid 2nd baseman. They really need him to turn it on second half or look more competent. I think if they get someone like trea turner it’ll push stott to just second base. We also really need a centerfielder. We haven’t had one that’s been consistently good since our 07-11 run. 

also this lol 

Lol, welcome to the big leagues kid. 😆

• Haha 1

I don't particularly think Hoskins is good. He's okay, and probably better than a lot of the complainers seem to think. But he isn't anything special either. And he's very streaky, which is frustrating. And he annoys the hell out of me when he goes down to his knee to swing at pitches. He does that a lot, more than any hitter I've ever seen. 

One thing I have liked about him is that he's willing to take pitches. I've always been a believer in running up the opposing pitcher's pitch count. And taking walks. Unfortunately it seems to me that Hoskins doesn't walk as much as he did when he first came up. I have the impression -- maybe it's something I heard at the time -- that the hitting coach wanted him to be more aggressive at the plate. I think it's actually made him a less effective hitter.

Also, when it comes to drafting pitchers, it seems to me that they're more likely to get injured coming through the ranks than position players are concerned. Roman Quinn being the exception of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blazehound said:

Not looking good. I don’t think they can survive on offense without Bryce.

D1BD44C4-7D63-4F69-B6FB-44452B013056.jpeg

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't particularly think Hoskins is good. He's okay, and probably better than a lot of the complainers seem to think. But he isn't anything special either. And he's very streaky, which is frustrating. And he annoys the hell out of me when he goes down to his knee to swing at pitches. He does that a lot, more than any hitter I've ever seen. 

One thing I have liked about him is that he's willing to take pitches. I've always been a believer in running up the opposing pitcher's pitch count. And taking walks. Unfortunately it seems to me that Hoskins doesn't walk as much as he did when he first came up. I have the impression -- maybe it's something I heard at the time -- that the hitting coach wanted him to be more aggressive at the plate. I think it's actually made him a less effective hitter.

Also, when it comes to drafting pitchers, it seems to me that they're more likely to get injured coming through the ranks than position players are concerned. Roman Quinn being the exception of course.

Hoskins is a great 6 or 7 hitter on a good team. He will always come up short in the top 5 spots for us.