Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

It's kind of absurd but fun watching someone that big look so athletic, especially in the context of baseball.  You watch an NFL game, you expect to see dudes the size of a mountain that can move but it's odd to see it in baseball.  I really hope the kid eventually ends up as a legit MLB player.

• Like 1

The crazy thing is - he was 4 seam fastball, curve, slider and change....

That Splitter is new and looks devastating.

This kid could potentially have 5 PLUS pitches - that's insane.

Big body with plus-plus stuff, effortless mechanics who already has great command at 19?   

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF - Morgan Freeman Good Luck Batman - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

The crazy thing is - he was 4 seam fastball, curve, slider and change....

That Splitter is new and looks devastating.

This kid could potentially have 5 PLUS pitches - that's insane.

Big body with plus-plus stuff, effortless mechanics who already has great command at 19?   

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF - Morgan Freeman Good Luck Batman - Discover &  Share GIFs

What’s going to suck is that based off of Jason Stark said on the radio yesterday they’re only going to pitch him 120 to 130 mlb innings. He said they want him to make the roster to start the season. But if you do that and you’re only going to use them for that many innings, then you either are saying he’s likely not pitching later in the season or you’re gonna have to go to a six man rotation so that he’s not pitching every fifth day. I feel like they might ultimately be better off bringing him up in June to get him through September and you keep a year of arbitration. 

that said, if they’re only going to pitch him that many innings, I still believe at the trade deadline they’re going to go after a big name pitcher. That’s what I think they’ve been setting themselves up for especially if they don’t get a deal done with nola before the year. They might view the acquisition to someone like Bieber who has another year left on his deal and get a deal done with him knowing nola might just walk. 

On 3/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, iladelphxx said:

I want to say it was the high hopes podcast was talking about him last year. I believe they said he has a high strikeout rate but if he is able to learn and reduce it he could be a really nice player down the road. Hoping he does cause he could ultimately be Rhys replacement at first. 

Glad to see everyone back for the 162 game journey this year. Let’s hope we get another wild ride this year but ends slightly better 

image.gif.2c7de18ff41c7509560bd02f9a34cdae.gif

• Like 3

I wonder if they will follow what Atlanta did with Spencer Strider last year by starting him in the bullpen early then extending him out to a starter later in the season. Strider finished at 131 IP last year and they got to have him as a lynch pin in their rotation the second half of the season and into the playoffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I wonder if they will follow what Atlanta did with Spencer Strider last year by starting him in the bullpen early then extending him out to a starter later in the season. Strider finished at 131 IP last year and they got to have him as a lynch pin in their rotation the second half of the season and into the playoffs.

That would make more sense than just starting him as a starter. Cause you’re going to run out of innings by the time you get to August. And if he’s really good like we think, you really can’t afford to lose him the last two months of the season and potentially the playoffs. That’s why I said I have a feeling at the deadline if there is a big-name pitcher is available with years left on the contract that Abel and/or McGarry might be traded to acquire that type of stud. 

19 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I thought they’re going with a 6 man rotation? That should reduce his innings. I’m also sure they’re going to baby his pitch count all throughout the season. 

29 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This is exactly why I have ZERO expectations for any highly touted Philadelphia prospect. 

Turner gets a hit then Schwarber homers, exact reason why you lead off Turner

Assuming Painter is done for the season.  No update in 2 days is pretty eerie 

44 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Assuming Painter is done for the season.  No update in 2 days is pretty eerie 

How the f did pitchers in the 50's, 60's and 70's (Like Carlton, Ryan) pitch 30 complete games, 300 innings a season and have no issues?  Yet pitchers now a days pitch once and need Tommy John surgery?

3 hours ago, NYEagle said:

How the f did pitchers in the 50's, 60's and 70's (Like Carlton, Ryan) pitch 30 complete games, 300 innings a season and have no issues?  Yet pitchers now a days pitch once and need Tommy John surgery?

Easy, analytics and travel baseball. Back then, kids played different sports. A baseball player back then would play football or basketball in the winter, giving his baseball muscles a period of recuperation. Anyone remember the 2 or 3 sport athlete? Now? It's parents pushing their kids into playing baseball 24/7 all in the hopes that their kid is the next Bryce Harper or Mike Trout. The result of this madness is what you see now. 19 year olds coming into MLB with 35 year old arms due to all the usage that has been put on them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Those guys knew how to " pitch " ....those guys knew it always wasn't about how fast..... even Ryan..... it was strategy and location and pitch ability.

Now its speed and rotation..... 2 things an arm is not made to do at full strength with every pitch. 

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume at this point that Painter is already in surgery attempting to re-attach his right arm?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

My assumption based on silence is he has been traveling the country for second opinion(s).

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

My assumption based on silence is he has been traveling the country for second opinion(s).

Yep.  They are just having multiple opinions confirm the tj route.

• Like 1

Stott is having a rough Spring. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sosa get most of the action at 2B unless Stott turns it around