Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not shocking. Nola also looking like he did at the end of the year. Can easily see him having a 09 hamels type year after his 08 postseason run 

The Yankees are going to destroy him next week <_<

1 minute ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

The Yankees are going to destroy him next week <_<

Might benefit the Phillies to not pay him and hoskins. Those two combined likely costing you 55-60 mil. If you were willing to pay that might as well just say F it and go big in paying Ohtani who’s a better hitter and better pitcher than hoskins and nola. Sadly Ohtani likely is gonna go to the Mets 

• Like 2

Nola is not an ace, hopefully we don't have to hear that BS again this year. No way should they shell out huge money for him, the dude is a flower. Instant somethin goes wrong for him he wilts and gives up 5 runs in an inning. I'm over it. Seems like he gets pulled after 5 innings more often than not which has made us heavily rely on our bullpen which hasn't been the greatest 

12 minutes ago, devpool said:

Nola is not an ace, hopefully we don't have to hear that BS again this year. No way should they shell out huge money for him, the dude is a flower. Instant somethin goes wrong for him he wilts and gives up 5 runs in an inning. I'm over it. Seems like he gets pulled after 5 innings more often than not which has made us heavily rely on our bullpen which hasn't been the greatest 

Wheeler, Suarez, walker, painter, falter next year, money saved not paying Nola or Rhys Hoskins improve pen

10 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Wheeler, Suarez, walker, painter, falter next year, money saved not paying Nola or Rhys Hoskins improve pen

Oh they definitely shouldn't be paying hoskins, so yea I agree 

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not shocking. Nola also looking like he did at the end of the year. Can easily see him having a 09 hamels type year after his 08 postseason run 

It’s an unfair comparison because Hamels was incredible in 08 postseason including the ws. Nola was trash in the WS. 

23 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

It’s an unfair comparison because Hamels was incredible in 08 postseason including the ws. Nola was trash in the WS. 

Not comparing how he did in the postseason then flat lining. Comparing what happened in terms of innings pitched that year and how late into October/novembet they went. The drop off from hamels regular season 08 to 09 regular season was big. I think the extra innings hamels had to pitch that year (35 innings on top of career high 227) where it was a career high in 08 to that point got him. The comparison is nola is coming off a season that ended first week of November and a career high innings. It’s likely going to get him this year. He pitched 231 innings. About 20 more innings then any other season add on wasnt done pitching til November. 

what Nola did or didn’t do in the postseason really doesn’t matter. He still had to pitch the extra starts, innings and pitches that he’s never had in his career like hamels at that time went deeper into October and innings then he ever did 

35 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not comparing how he did in the postseason then flat lining. Comparing what happened in terms of innings pitched that year and how late into October/novembet they went. The drop off from hamels regular season 08 to 09 regular season was big. I think the extra innings hamels had to pitch that year (35 innings on top of career high 227) where it was a career high in 08 to that point got him. The comparison is nola is coming off a season that ended first week of November and a career high innings. It’s likely going to get him this year. He pitched 231 innings. About 20 more innings then any other season add on wasnt done pitching til November. 

what Nola did or didn’t do in the postseason really doesn’t matter. He still had to pitch the extra starts, innings and pitches that he’s never had in his career like hamels at that time went deeper into October and innings then he ever did 

If he keeps getting chased out of games early after 3-4 innings like the WS and opening day, that should keep his inning count down this year.

Game 1 overreactions.

World Series Offense

Golfing in October Pitching

23 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

If he keeps getting chased out of games early after 3-4 innings like the WS and opening day, that should keep his inning count down this year.

Yeah only positive if that happens. Honestly if he’s bad this year at least his price drops if they choose to keep him. Frankly i rather go trade market or FA. I’d rather replace him with Bieber. I kind of doubt urias makes it to FA but if he does he’s 3 years younger and higher long term upside 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah only positive if that happens. Honestly if he’s bad this year at least his price drops if they choose to keep him. Frankly i rather go trade market or FA. I’d rather replace him with Bieber. I kind of doubt urias makes it to FA but if he does he’s 3 years younger and higher long term upside 

Well one thing is for sure, Glad Dombroski is making the decisions and not Andy McPhailure and Klentak

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Well one thing is for sure, Glad Dombroski is making the decisions and not Andy McPhailure and Klentak

I hope they don’t F around with painter. If he needs Tommy John surgery just have it done so he can get back as soon as possible. If needs it, the longer you put it off and the longer it’s gonna take to get him back into the rotation in 2024. I generally think that’s what’s going to happen. I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I tend to think he’s eventually gonna need it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I didn’t dive into the weeds of the tea leaves for his contract negotiations.  But if they broke down…and then he has a season that damages his value…there’s going to be significant mutual frustration there.  No one likes to come back with their tail between their legs for less than what was offered before.  

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I didn’t dive into the weeds of the tea leaves for his contract negotiations.  But if they broke down…and then he has a season that damages his value…there’s going to be significant mutual frustration there.  No one likes to come back with their tail between their legs for less than what was offered before.  

The the issue with Nola was if the Phillies wanted to get a deal done with him they should’ve try to get it done during the season last year. Because once he got one year away from free agency unless you paid him what he wanted he was just gonna play the year out then go to the market and try to maximize it since he’s one year away. My personal belief is he wouldn’t be that upset if he leaves Philly.

The problem for Nola is if he gets hurt or he’s bad. If that happens either he’s going to have to take an offer that’s less from the Phillies or he’s gonna go in the free agency take a contract with an opt out after a year so if he pitches well he can cash out on a long term contract. 

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I hope they don’t F around with painter. If he needs Tommy John surgery just have it done so he can get back as soon as possible. If needs it, the longer you put it off and the longer it’s gonna take to get him back into the rotation in 2024. I generally think that’s what’s going to happen. I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I tend to think he’s eventually gonna need it

I was saying the exact thing yesterday....don't put off the inevitable....get it done, be back in '24 and really be 100% in '25.  Sucks no matter what but to delay only makes it worse.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYEagle said:

I was saying the exact thing yesterday....don't put off the inevitable....get it done, be back in '24 and really be 100% in '25.  Sucks no matter what but to delay only makes it worse.

Nola had a similar injury a few years back. Never required TJ surgery. 

Lol the Phillies never beat the cubs or rangers. About to be 0-6 the last two years vs. the rangers. 

2 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Much rather see kingery than cave. Cave sucked last year and still sucks. He hasn’t been good in about 3-4 years. Not that kingery has done anything but rather see what he can do as he can play more positions and he hasn’t gotten nearly the chances cave has and shown he’s sucks 

• Like 2

Marte Fing blows. He throws gas but it has like no movement at all nor any control of his pitches. 

26 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Marte Fing blows. He throws gas but it has like no movement at all nor any control of his pitches. 

He's this year's version of jeurys familia. Absolutely stinks.

• Like 1