Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Might want to extend this to the 50 years later and 2043 with how it’s going. 

Yeah pitching will bring them down but I have confidence in Dombrowski to fix things

16 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Yeah pitching will bring them down but I have confidence in Dombrowski to fix things

I don’t. Dombrowsi’s MO is trading the farm for vets to build a contender... what pieces do they even have to do that with? 

While I'm not super confident in Phillies pitching after last year, Spring Training is hardly ever a reliable indication of pitching success once the season starts. So I'll hold off until about 25 games in.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I don’t. Dombrowsi’s MO is trading the farm for vets to build a contender... what pieces do they even have to do that with? 

Yeah i was going to say that as well. Dombrowski has done a good job when he’s had a good farm system to trade pieces to bring pieces in. This farm system is a mess and severely lacks high quality talent. Hard to see him having the same type of success because the Phillies besides bohm and howard (traded sixto) really haven’t built up the farm system very well. 

Alvarado looking like a good reliever so far... Closer potential? Yesterday 1 IP, 1 Hit, 3 Ks 🤔

I got this beauty yesterday. Sadly it was Blake Parker’s and the crap bullpen but the jersey itself is awesome so i bought it anyway 

8AD46595-72D6-4361-9DBA-744576F459DD.jpeg

27A7C92B-A2C5-44A9-8C77-386E251817BA.jpeg

8B9586D0-0B5F-4B84-B44A-A40B75EAD281.jpeg

1367BCAA-8A40-49F4-8BF0-F9C36FBAB27E.jpeg

Realmuto is back and hitting dingers already. I’m feeling optimistic this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Realmuto is back and hitting dingers already. I’m feeling optimistic this year. 

image.gif.e0e5a2f6670cfa0991ae2747abfb62ed.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Is it safe to assume that we will see a platoon of Kingery, Odubel and Quinn in CF?   At least early on.  

I really hope they don't bring this clown up north. What he did to his girlfriend was bad enough, but I just can't stand watching this guy play baseball. One of the lowest IQ players I have ever seen. 

44 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Is it safe to assume that we will see a platoon of Kingery, Odubel and Quinn in CF?   At least early on.  

Well Roman Quinn is due for an injury so likely kingery and odubel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well Roman Quinn is due for an injury so likely kingery and odubel

Quinn will get injured during turbulence on the flight back to Philly.

• Haha 1

Yeah, the odds that Quinn will remain healthy through Memorial Day are about zero.

8 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yeah, the odds that Quinn will remain healthy through Mothers Day are about zero.

Fyp

I hate to admit this, but Ruben Amaro Jr is a really good color commentator.... 

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

I hate to admit this, but Ruben Amaro Jr is a really good color commentator.... 

I actually don’t hate Reuben amaro or relentlessly bash him. He made some really good moves to keep them competitive for the window that they had. It’s not his fault some of those teams came up short when they should’ve won. 2011 they should’ve won with the roster he constructed. They lost not because of lack of talent. His biggest problem was when he decided to finally trade guys off from that World Series team and run. He should’ve traded guys sooner and not given Ryan Howard that contract

38 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I actually don’t hate Reuben amaro or relentlessly bash him. He made some really good moves to keep them competitive for the window that they had. It’s not his fault some of those teams came up short when they should’ve won. 2011 they should’ve won with the roster he constructed. They lost not because of lack of talent. His biggest problem was when he decided to finally trade guys off from that World Series team and run. He should’ve traded guys sooner and not given Ryan Howard that contract

He was a smug **** who inherited a good situation 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

He was a smug **** who inherited a good situation 

He still made some great moves for those Phillies teams. The Phillies don’t get to the World Series again without him trading for Cliff Lee. He also got Raul Ibanez Who was good for two years for the Phillies after Werth got overpaid. He also was able to acquire Roy halladay and bring back Cliff Lee back a year later and get Oswalt. When you go look at all the prospects he gave up to acquire that talent the only one that panned out to be anything was Carlos Carrasco. He obviously inherited a good situation but he also made some good moves to keep those teams competitive and have the best chance at winning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He still made some great moves for those Phillies teams. The Phillies don’t get to the World Series again without him trading for Cliff Lee. He also got Raul Ibanez Who was good for two years for the Phillies after Werth got overpaid. He also was able to acquire Roy halladay and bring back Cliff Lee back a year later and get Oswalt. When you go look at all the prospects he gave up to acquire that talent the only one that panned out to be anything was Carlos Carrasco. He obviously inherited a good situation but he also made some good moves to keep those teams competitive and have the best chance at winning.

Trading away Cliff Lee after the 2009 season for peanuts was one of the biggest blunders I can remember a GM making. Phillies would have won the World Series in 2010 with Lee. Trading away Pence and signing Papelbon were also awful decisions.

The guy inherited a potential dynasty and systematically dismantled it a little bit more each and every successive season until he was fired.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Trading away Cliff Lee after the 2009 season was one of the biggest blunders I can remember a GM making. Phillies would have won the World Series in 2010 with Lee. Trading away Pence was also an awful decision.

I don’t think trading pence was an awful decision. What he got back for pence was. When they traded pence their run was basically over. You weren’t going to keep him when you basically were done competing. Everyone on the world knew they were done after 2011 when howard tore his Achilles and doc began having back issues the next season. They traded him the next year (2012) and they were not that good. They finished 81-81. He got little back that was any good for him was the issue  

the cliff lee first trade was a mistake and he should’ve kept him. However he also got halladay in that deal. he also got him to return  by signing him back when no one expected it as the mystery team cause of the relationship he had with Lee. They should’ve won a World Series on 2011 with one of the greatest rosters in phillies history. 

also if they had lee in 2010 you don’t likely trade for oswalt that year and have the four aces the next year. 

hate amaro way less than klentak. 

• Like 1

Amaro's drafts were horrible. And he came out worse in almost every trade other than the aquisitions of Halladay and Lee. And they paid way more to get Pence than they got in return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Amaro's drafts were horrible. And he came out worse in almost every trade other than the aquisitions of Halladay and Lee. And they paid way more to get Pence than they got in return.

I mean he traded happ, gose and villar for oswalt. Legitimately happ was the only one who ever did anything. I’m pretty sure anyone would’ve taken oswalt who was an ace at that time for happ who was a nice no 3 pitcher in his career  

Pence trade they gave up cosarts, Singleton, josh seid and Domingo Santana. Only Santana actually made it in the majors and had success.  and he was a backup outfielder for the most part. Cosarts bounced around and was out of baseball in 5 years and really wasn’t very good for most of it. Agreed he gave up more than he should have in some deals but none of those players were remotely good in the majors level which speaks to the fact our farm system when he and gillick drafted and that really the Phillies ultimately got the better end of those deals. His lack of return on pence deal to SF, Hamels trade looks worse cause Alfaro and williams never panned out (however Alfaro also helped bring Realmuto) and waiting way too long to decide to trade utley, rollins, victorino and Ruiz away was a bigger issue then the ones where he acquired pence and oswalt 

he also signed Ibanez and that was a nice deal for the Phillies. Also didn’t sign werth to an extension that looked like an albatross contract for the nats outside of like 1 year 

also part of the reason they dealt Lee was because they didn’t think he was re-signing with them at the end of the year because of who his agent was and how negotiations went. They figured they could get aumonte who was a top prospect of the Mariners and they get halladay signed long term whereas they didn’t believe Lee would and he’d walk.  

Amaro didn’t draft well. Neither did gillick as almost all his prized prospects never lived up to their hype. after Ed wade was fired our drafts were trash in terms of producing high level major leaguers. not just amaro but gillick wasn’t very good either. 2006-2008 the prospect that had the best mlb career was giovani Soto (and Brandon workman) who wasn’t even with us but the Cubs. Our drafts then were bad at producing good mlb talent as well. amaro had bad drafts. I think cause gillick won a World Series they overlook the fact his drafts with the Phillies were not very good at producing good major league players. Dominic brown was supposed to be a stud and no. 1 prospect that gillick had drafted. Turned out to be a nowhere close to the hype. Drabek never turned out to be anything. They had prospects which wound up being grossly overrated and did nothing or little in the majors.  Doesn’t excuse amaro but it’s not like gillick was crushing it either. He made some nice moves to get lidge and werth but he also inherited some great players who were drafted by Ed wade. Ed wade doesn’t get nearly the credit for what he left behind in the Phillies organization when he got canned. 

i don’t think amaro was great. However he wasn’t nearly as awful as Matt Klentak. And some of the Phillies failures to extend their window was Howard declining every year after 2009 and then tearing his Achilles as that extension kicked in. Doc having a bad back and getting addicted to pain killers. Utley missing more and more time as he got older. Dominic brown turning out to be a bum. His drafts and gillick drafts are all on them.

besides bad drafting To me his biggest mistake was after the 2012 season (and a run from 2007-2011 is a pretty nice window unless you are the Yankees, Dodgers now or Braves of the 90s) not realizing the window had completely shut and trading guys away then to maximize value and start the rebuild  

Was he great? hell No. Was he as god awful as Phillies fans make him out to be? Also no. He definitely was smug and rubbed people the wrong way.  

• Like 1

Sorry, the bad outweighs the good when it comes to Amaro. Ibanez, just like Mccutcheon, should never have been given that 3rd year. I like Raul, but honestly he was on a downward trajectory when the rumors of him being on steroids surfaced, which was in his first year. That signing also cost them their first round draft pick. Howard should have never been given that ridiculous contract. The 2009 World Series where he was exposed by Girardi should have been a massive clue that Howard had been figured out. I mean, who the hell walks the #3 guy to get to the cleanup hitter? Did Howard adjust? Nope. I think he had somewhere around a 50% strikeout ratio in that series which is horrific for anyone not a pitcher. Amaro tried to be cute and get a "discounted" signing and it backfired. At the minimum he should have waited until after the 2010 season and reassessed because Howard still had another year of team control. Pappelbon? Why the hell was he signed when this team's shelf life was coming to an end? 5 years for a closer who had a lot of mileage on his arm? Wow. Plus, that signing cost them another first round pick. The return on the trade of Cliff Lee was absolutely horrific. He got 3 stiffs for a Cy Young award winner. To say that Amaro isn't as bad as Klentak shows how inept the Phillies organization has been over their history.

What he did as GM is irrelevant - I didn't like him as a person.  He was a smarmy, smug POS whenever he was on TV or the Radio and always tried to sound like the smartest guy in the room.

When he was announced as a color commentator, I was expecting him to act the same way.

Either he was humbled and gave up that persona after getting fired, or it was all an act to begin with, he definitely doesn't act like that on the air anymore.