Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

3 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Hoskins is fine. But that's all he is. People got crazy when he had a hot streak and thought he was the next Babe Ruth. Now that he's settling into being an average to above average player, people are all mad. The guy is a decent piece on a winning team. He isn't ruined or a bust he just is what he is.

The modern day Pat Burrell as someone called him

4 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Hoskins is fine. But that's all he is. People got crazy when he had a hot streak and thought he was the next Babe Ruth. Now that he's settling into being an average to above average player, people are all mad. The guy is a decent piece on a winning team. He isn't ruined or a bust he just is what he is.

Just pointing ot from June 2019-the end of the 2019 season his WAR was 0.4. And last year it was 1. That’s not average. He was prior to that around 2-3 WAR. He is what he is then if he’s 1.4 war for another 1.5 seasons that’s not good. 

Crazy thinking he’s a 2 hitter. Hopefully didi gets put in that spot if Hoskins struggles early 

Just now, BirdsFanBill said:

Crazy thinking he’s a 2 hitter. Hopefully didi gets put in that spot if Hoskins struggles early 

He definitely shouldn’t be especially coming off his TJ. I don’t think he’s completely back. He had it right after or just before the end of the season. That’s only 6-7 months ago. I get for a positional player the recovery time is 4-6 months but some take longer. Didi is actually better suited for it. I am more concerned with hoskins power this spring. He did not show a lot of power for most of the spring. He had one homer and he wasn’t crushing the ball either. Maybe as he gets healthier from his Tommy John surgery some of the power comes back but that’s also cause of concern right now as well. 

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's cute.  Make the confused smiley face on one of my posts since I am confused as to WTH you are talking about in yours.  Did you like Kapler?  

Maybe you might want to explain your Tate comment.  Because I don't it.  Or the post about me and another GM.  Again, I don't get that either.  I said Kapler ruined Hoskins.  What does that have to do with a GM or Tate?  Do you not agree with the idea that Kapler ruined Hoskins?  

You aren’t wrong about kapler and klentak ruining hoskins and kingery’s swings. Joe girardi was on 975 yesterday and said they went too far in trying change kingery’s swing and they need to get it back to what it was prior. Listening to stark, Salisbury and even zolecki who works for the Phillies they have all said they same thing. They actually hurt themselves even more with kapler then him just being a below average manager. They screwed up guys who were productive prior to getting there 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's cute.  Make the confused smiley face on one of my posts since I am confused as to WTH you are talking about in yours.  Did you like Kapler?  

Maybe you might want to explain your Tate comment.  Because I don't it.  Or the post about me and another GM.  Again, I don't get that either.  I said Kapler ruined Hoskins.  What does that have to do with a GM or Tate?  Do you not agree with the idea that Kapler ruined Hoskins?  

No I don't like Kapler I was just making the comparison with Tate that in every Philly sport thread we are complaining about the GM. It's a sheety situation to be in with all Philly sports. So I didn't understand why you gave me a confused face with the my Tate comment when it's clear they are all failing at the GM level with all the major sports teams in Philly. So just threw one back at you. I don't disagree Kapler screwed up Hoskins, the coaches for the Phillies have been screwing up prospects for awhile now. 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I didn't make the connection at first.  But whatever.  I'm recording the game so I will chine in later with you fools.  

Cool

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You aren’t wrong about kapler and klentak ruining hoskins and kingery’s swings. Joe girardi was on 975 yesterday and said they went too far in trying change kingery’s swing and they need to get it back to what it was prior. Listening to stark, Salisbury and even zolecki who works for the Phillies they have all said they same thing. They actually hurt themselves even more with kapler then him just being a below average manager. They screwed up guys who were productive prior to getting there 

Between poor drafting and poor player development the Phillies rebuild has been hard to watch. Besides nola, hoskins (and even he has regressed due to coaching) and bohm they don’t have a lot to show for nearly a decade of losing and at least 4-5 where they were rebuilding. Looking at the opening day lineup besides the BP they really only have two potential long term regulars where they were drafted and developed by the Phillies: bohm and hoskins. Frankly i think Haseley and Quinn are backup outfielders. Nola but he’s a pitcher not an everyday fielder/hitter

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He definitely shouldn’t be especially coming off his TJ. I don’t think he’s completely back. He had it right after or just before the end of the season. That’s only 6-7 months ago. I get for a positional player the recovery time is 4-6 months but some take longer. Didi is actually better suited for it. I am more concerned with hoskins power this spring. He did not show a lot of power for most of the spring. He had one homer and he wasn’t crushing the ball either. Maybe as he gets healthier from his Tommy John surgery some of the power comes back but that’s also cause of concern right now as well. 

It was his non-throwing elbow, so it shouldn't really impact him in the field - especially as a 1B.  Didi had surgery on his throwing elbow, which adds recovery time.

As for hitting, I would be more concerned if he had a hip, abdominal or back surgery, as that is where most of the power is generated (Core/Lower body) 

21 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

It was his non-throwing elbow, so it shouldn't really impact him in the field - especially as a 1B.  Didi had surgery on his throwing elbow, which adds recovery time.

As for hitting, I would be more concerned if he had a hip, abdominal or back surgery, as that is where most of the power is generated (Core/Lower body) 

I’m more concerned he had no power in spring training. Only thing that would effect that would be that TJ injury. Don’t disagree should be more of a hip or lower body but he has none of that going on. Which is more concerning as he has none of that and his power was nonexistent all spring. Maybe he turns it on regular season but the only thing he’s dealing with is coming back from Tj so only thing we could really say is it was just spring training, TJ effecting his power or he’s just lost a bunch of his power. The last would be most concerning 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m more concerned he had no power in spring training. Only thing that would effect that would be that TJ injury. Don’t disagree should be more of a hip or lower body but he has none of that going on. Which is more concerning as he has none of that and his power was nonexistent all spring. Maybe he turns it on regular season but the only thing he’s dealing with is coming back from Tj so only thing we could really say is it was just spring training, TJ effecting his power or he’s just lost a bunch of his power. The last would be most concerning 

If his hitting power is coming from his arms, he's doing it wrong anyway

Be interesting to see how he looks - just hit a double 

Just now, mikemack8 said:

If his hitting power is coming from his arms, he's doing it wrong anyway

Be interesting to see how he looks - just hit a double 

Could be effecting how he’s swinging the bat though. If he’s not fully healthy from it it could effect how he extends on his swing. I believe didi when he talked about his it took him until his second season back to get where he once was. I’m pretty sure he was asked in an interview on WIP about it said it effected his swing until he felt fully comfortable and healed. 

Just now, Blazehound said:

Harper was safe 

Yeah that was BS. He looked safe the entire way. 

• Like 1

I feel like Harper's slide there wasn't that good, looked like he was reaching for the far corner of the bag

2 minutes ago, devpool said:

I feel like Harper's slide there wasn't that good, looked like he was reaching for the far corner of the bag

Wasn’t a good slide but he was safe 

• Like 1

Feels like they got hosed on two calls there. I didn’t think didi went around on that. 

17 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Wasn’t a good slide but he was safe 

Idk it looked like he caught the shin before Bryce touched the base

1 minute ago, devpool said:

Jesus christ Hoskins what was that

Yup that’s a routine play that really shouldn’t be that hard. Just get the easy out at first. Let nola be nola and get the final out. 

39 minutes ago, devpool said:

Idk it looked like he caught the shin before Bryce touched the base

Yeah he tug him

Of course the fat slob hits a pinch hit 2 run homer.