GDT: Super Bowl LVII, Kansas City Chiefs vs Philadelphia Eagles, 2-12-23, 6:30 PM EST

EagleJoe8

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/18/2023 at 2:06 PM, Davidj77 said:

They could’ve called it any BS they wanted to . They F the eagles because mahomes must catch Brady asap . This is why I prefer MLB/NBA/ NHL best of 7 playoffs ! One BS corrupt call can not change the series! I am sorry but NFL is filled with too much conspiracy and propaganda and favoritism ! Just my opinion don’t shoot the messenger . I mean Arian Foster even said it’s scripted.

phi got screwed but then again I remember how many times KC got screwed when they played the patriots with Brady 

Was the Niners game fixed? Was the Giants game fixed? 

Plllleeeeeeease stop saying games are fixed when your team loses, or you lose a bet. I'll say it again, nobody ever says the NFL is fixed after they win a big bet or their team wins a game.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, Kwahu said:

Anybody else still happy we had a great season and have a wide open window to dominate the NFC?

It's hard to be happy 11 days after losing the Super Bowl, especially how it was lost. 

Check back around draft time. 

9 hours ago, 91defense said:

Plllleeeeeeease stop saying games are fixed when your team loses, or you lose a bet. I'll say it again, nobody ever says the NFL is fixed after they win a big bet or their team wins a game.

It’s not about if Giants game was fixed or Niners game was fixed, by fixed I mean nfl has always favored some players over the actual game, it’s about mahomes, nfl needs a new blood to take over, I had the Eagles winning, I am just a fairweather football fan per say, I do follow the NFL but I don’t really have a team, I was hoping to set aside all that drama regarding Mahomes, his injury, his mvp season , playing at a stadium called State Farm ( with absolute garbage grass) aside and watch a good football game, may the best team win fair and square . But phi absolutely got burned by that last call, everyone on the talking head panels said it " just let that call go ref” but they didn’t ! And game ended . Just my take as a casual football watcher . 

On 2/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's hard to be happy 11 days after losing the Super Bowl, especially how it was lost. 

Check back around draft time. 

Like Hurts himself said you either win or you learn. There was a lot we learned from this game. Mostly that Gannon is no match for Reid and he had to go. And that there were holes we needed to patch on this team before we can beat Mahomes.

4 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Like Hurts himself said you either win or you learn. There was a lot we learned from this game. Mostly that Gannon is no match for Reid and he had to go. And that there were holes we needed to patch on this team before we can beat Mahomes.

Trouble is those holes are going to grow this off season with the number of players going. Don't get me wrong we should still contend next year but it's going to be tough and I don't think we should expect to be quite as good as this last year. 

Not going to lie this one still hurts. This lose despite being 2 weeks ago still stings a lot. 

On 2/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, 91defense said:

There weren't any controversial calls in the 9ers and Giants games though.  And they played on an actual football field as well.  I don't believe it's fixed or scripted, but they definitely use officials to influence games with calls at critical times.  And it was super obvious if you watched the AFC Championship game and the Superbowl that the NFL wanted the Chiefs to win this year. 

On 2/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, NOTW said:

Both teams did have to play on the same field, and they can't publicly complain about it or the refs. But everyone could see how bad it was and teams will definitely be addressing it with the league just not publicly. Even other teams seeing that will be concerned going into next year.

Yeah they both played on it, but the Chiefs clearly were somehow tipped off or knew ahead of time and had better cleats.  Whereas the Eagles were slipping 3x more often and were frantically scrambling around changing cleats mid-game. 

Still pissed off and disappointed!!

Could and should have had a 2nd Super Bowl win!!

It’s sooo difficult to get there. So to get there with the great roster they had, and then to lose, well….UUUGGHHH.

I think they don’t get back to the SB for awhile. 

🥵

On 2/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

There weren't any controversial calls in the 9ers and Giants games though.  And they played on an actual football field as well.  I don't believe it's fixed or scripted, but they definitely use officials to influence games with calls at critical times.  And it was super obvious if you watched the AFC Championship game and the Superbowl that the NFL wanted the Chiefs to win this year. 

You say it's not fixed or scripted, but then you kinda imply that it is.

I dunno man... if the NFL was fixed, it would be an impossible secret to keep. Someone would spill the beans and a multi-billion dollar money printing machine would go belly up. It makes zero sense for the league to take that sort of risk to make the Chiefs win.

When Arizona kicker missed a FG earlier this year to keep the Eagles undefeated, was anyone here instantly thinking that it was fixed?

3 hours ago, 91defense said:

You say it's not fixed or scripted, but then you kinda imply that it is.

I dunno man... if the NFL was fixed, it would be an impossible secret to keep. Someone would spill the beans and a multi-billion dollar money printing machine would go belly up. It makes zero sense for the league to take that sort of risk to make the Chiefs win.

When Arizona kicker missed a FG earlier this year to keep the Eagles undefeated, was anyone here instantly thinking that it was fixed?

That was not my intention, to me fixing and scripting is like....they have a predetermined final score and have every single play planned out before hand.  What I'm talking about is, they have a preference on who they would rather win, and if the game is close they'll throw a couple calls in favor of the team they want to win.  Or try to give the favored team some slight advantage, like prepare a slippery turf and give the preferred team a heads up so they're ready with better cleats.  Or like the old stories about the Giants opening stadium tunnel doors to get a gust of wind going to try to cause a missed field goal by the away team. 

To me those kinds of things aren't flat out scripting or fixing, it's giving the team you want to win a little advantage (of course it's still cheating).  So to me things more subtle like that, are easier for them to deny and hide.  And I think the players would be fine keeping their mouth shut if they like being multimilllionaires. 

Besides, most fans are gullible and naive anyway.  The majority of fans could watch a neutral game with completely one-sided officiating, and if the cheated team's fans complained about it they just say "STFU you lost, quit making excuses loser," etc.  so you know most people don't want to know the truth anyway and want to keep believing in Santa Claus and enjoy their bread and circus. 

All it takes is one disgruntled person to spill the beans and the NFL is ruined. A company that makes several hundred trillion dollars per day. It would also ruin gambling sites who make millions of pesos per second.

Really try and think, "how could this be done?" Not just the concept, but the actual steps it would take. The more you think about it, the more you know it would be 100% impossible to pull off. How would the conversation go to coordinate the slippery field?

Does Roger Goodell say to all the refs in all the games, "hey, if you can get so-and-so team the victory, that would be splendid." They would blackmail the **** out of him.

"Hey guys, wear these new cleats, and all 150 people involved in preparing for a game, don't ask any questions and don't say anything to anyone. That means you, Kadarius Toney. We'll hand you a punt return to help out."

"Hey Avante Maddox... look lost in the 4th quarter, and we'll throw you $50k. So what if you'll lose hundreds of thousands in future contract money by sucking?"

It cannot be done. People need to find another excuse when they lose a bet, or their favorite team loses.

" And I think the players would be fine keeping their mouth shut if they like being multimilllionaires."

........ until they get cut.

11 minutes ago, 91defense said:

All it takes is one disgruntled person to spill the beans and the NFL is ruined. A company that makes several hundred trillion dollars per day. It would also ruin gambling sites who make millions of pesos per second.

Really try and think, "how could this be done?" Not just the concept, but the actual steps it would take. The more you think about it, the more you know it would be 100% impossible to pull off. How would the conversation go to coordinate the slippery field?

Does Roger Goodell say to all the refs in all the games, "hey, if you can get so-and-so team the victory, that would be splendid." They would blackmail the **** out of him.

"Hey guys, wear these new cleats, and all 150 people involved in preparing for a game, don't ask any questions and don't say anything to anyone. That means you, Kadarius Toney. We'll hand you a punt return to help out."

"Hey Avante Maddox... look lost in the 4th quarter, and we'll throw you $50k. So what if you'll lose hundreds of thousands in future contract money by sucking?"

It cannot be done. People need to find another excuse when they lose a bet, or their favorite team loses.

Totally impossible dude...never happen in pro sports

From the archives: How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

Well, that blows your BS out of the water. I guess we can go with it would never happen in the NFL...yeah...that's it...only the NBA can be fixed lol

Well of course, one ref could foolishly blow a call to try and profit from a bet. Players have occasionally done that as well - Black Sox, Chris Herren, the one guard in "Blue Chips" who shaved points, etc.

Your example is ENTIRELY different than the NFL itself conspiring to fix games, like so many losers of bets proclaim. The day someone who wins a bet on a "Music City Miracle" type play, and goes on an "NFL is fixed!!!" rampage, could add a teeny, tiny shred of validity to a terrible take. But we all know that ain't happening.

You didn't blow shinola out of any water.

26 minutes ago, 91defense said:

Well of course, one ref could foolishly blow a call to try and profit from a bet. Players have occasionally done that as well - Black Sox, Chris Herren, the one guard in "Blue Chips" who shaved points, etc.

Your example is ENTIRELY different than the NFL itself conspiring to fix games, like so many losers of bets proclaim. The day someone who wins a bet on a "Music City Miracle" type play, and goes on an "NFL is fixed!!!" rampage, could add a teeny, tiny shred of validity to a terrible take. But we all know that ain't happening.

You didn't blow shinola out of any water.

I think most fans believe the NFL isn't scripted, and while I share that belief, I do believe in biases when it comes to penalties/flags.  I'm a Chicago Bulls fan and was a huge NBA fan during the 90's when they had their two 3-peats. Having said that, I'd be lying if I stated that MJ and the bulls didn't benefit from a lack of calls, or very generous calls during their championship runs. I think the NFL operates in the exact same way, which is why so many people called out the late game flag Mahomes and the Chiefs got, because they tend to get those breaks all the time when a lot of other teams don't.  I just know that if it were us in that position, we wouldn't have gotten the call, and Mahomes would've been allowed an opportunity to get a game winning drive with more time. 

I can't argue with the first half of your post, Poon. The NBA is the worst. They've always treated the stars better, sometimes probably because they don't want to hear about it from them. I have trouble watching the NBA. It has become a game of "fool the refs." Players fall down on every single layup. What the crap is that?

A gripe I have with NFL refs is that they will call a personal foul on a physically weaker QB because the hit had a bigger impact. Same hit on a stronger, bigger QB - no call. 

And many QBs get the superstar treatment. Especially the whiny ones like Brady or Rodgers. Hurts will never turn out like those b**ches, and I'm happy about that. Even if he doesn't get a couple of calls now and again.

Hey, I'm new here. Are we allowed to cuss?

I think I made my peace with this game. I'm over it. This wasn't some devastating missed opportunity like the wide right 47 yarder, or the Malcom Butler int. It wasn't a gigantic meltdown aka the Falcons, or even the 49ers blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. You can't blame this loss on a single play or bad call.

At no point did we think "we got this in the bag" only to let it slip away. The Chiefs were always in the game and they found a way to win in the end thanks to our D imploding in the 2nd half. Both teams played hard but the Chiefs made less mistakes and made more plays, that's why they won.

Archived