Connecticut Eagle

Combine: February 28

Negotiating Period: March 13

Free Agency: March 15

Draft: April 27

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My #1 goal this off-season: Keep the offensive core around Jalen, and everything we do should be to minimize his running and optimize his passing. Jalen is an A+ runner, but he needs to run strategically: must-have 3rd downs, QB sneaks, etc. He has the ability to be a good drop back passer. If he improves even 10% of that, we're going to be in good shape. 

It appears Gannon need all-pros in the back to make his defense work.

This team doesn't really have time to wait for Gannon to figure it out, and two seasons in a row they get carved up by above average QBs. They were probably fortunate they didn't have to play too many this season, and that may have hid a lot of the deficiencies in the passing defense. They were also not good against the run at any point in the season. Maybe against the titans, but they had zero passing game going.

I believe if Schwartz had this group, he would have been able to adjust better. Hoping Arizona pulls the rigger on Gannon.

@austinfan

I was trying to post this in the previous thread, in response to you saying our back 7 wasn’t good.

Any take that says our 2 starting pro bowl level CB’s and our starting pro Bowl level safety weren’t good enough and that’s the reason Gannon played it "safe” is ABSURD.

If Gannon can’t make it work with 3 pro bowl level players in the secondary then he shouldn’t be coaching in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

My #1 goal this off-season: Keep the offensive core around Jalen, and everything we do should be to minimize his running and optimize his passing. Jalen is an A+ runner, but he needs to run strategically: must-have 3rd downs, QB sneaks, etc. He has the ability to be a good drop back passer. If he improves even 10% of that, we're going to be in good shape. 

Almost everyone on offense should be back except Sanders and Seamulo, unless I'm forgetting someone. 

The defense is what will probably see a face lift and maybe for the better.

They need to get younger, faster and more physical.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Just insane. 

That tells me it's more the Eagles didn't have the right cleats or footing.

Kinda crazy that they didn't notice this before the game during warm-ups and adjusted. 

Drafting needs? Definitely need younger bodies on the DL. Will the Birds draft another LB and let Dean compete for the starting job? Lots of young corners, who will emerge to take over? I loved what I saw from Blankenship in the 2nd half of the season, can he continue to improve?

I feel the offense will mostly be the same, maybe a reshuffle on the OL depending on what Kelce decides to do. Will keep bringing up the big back cliche, the Eagles really need one.

The idea that Doug didn't know any coaches is laughable.  The guy was in the NFL from 1991 - 2004 as a player (QB, specifically) and rubbed elbows with a lot of coaching staffs along the way.  He reached out to Frank Reich to be his OC as he had an ongoing relationship with him going back to when they were together with the Panthers in 1995, even for that brief period.  He spent 7 years under Andy's wing learning the coaching side, and Andy was a guy that was networking and going to all the coaching hangouts.  

The argument against Doug should be that he was too loyal to 'his guys', not that he didn't know anyone.  That's highly insulting to a guy that spent 30 years (minus a 4 year sabbatical in HS coaching) in the NFL.  He was with Andy long enough to meet tons of coaches and a long term relationship with Reich, who had a long history of coaching in the NFL, in different circles than Reid.   Doug knew plenty of other coaches.  

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Just insane. 

That field was straight trash.  If the Eagles play them on a decent field, they beat them 8 out of 10 times.  Our guys were on skates out there.  Totally affected our pass rush.   Reid used it against us with the pre snap motion change of direction.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So, the loss can be blamed on the equipment managers.

If the details that have been coming out over the last 24-48 hours are true,  then yes - at least some of the blame.

And if that’s the case, whoever makes the calls on what cleats to use in these situations should probably be replaced, imo.

On one hand,  a team playing in AZ with a dome probably figures there's no way a slippery surface factors in and may not be prepared.

On the other hand,  the way NFL teams pack for away games,  I can't see a team being unprepared.  No idea why they didn't change cleats. Have to assume they had them there.

6 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

That field was straight trash.  If the Eagles play them on a decent field, they beat them 8 out of 10 times.  Our guys were on skates out there.  Totally affected our pass rush.   Reid used it against us with the pre snap motion change of direction.

How come it didn't affect their offense as much?   They are constantly moving around and shifting, etc.

It comes down to 80% blame on Gannon and defense. 20% on the field and the Chiefs had to play on the same field as well.

I just don't want to be multiple weeks later and we're blaming the field for the loss.  Would look almost as bad as the 49ers still crying about their game.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What does 'his details just weren't up to where they needed to be' mean?  

If you watch the video, he spoke to the dropped pass.  He didn't have late hands.  He raised them to early and the defender had the opportunity to push against his shoulder.

Archived