EMB Blog: 2023 Offseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, DelEagles1984 said:

Newb here, but I have a question...

Do you see anyone taking a "home town discount deal" Specific Bradberry? Seems like he would rather win and get paid rather than just getting paid a stupid amount to play for a bad team

Graham might.  Epps might.  

I don't see it with Cox, Hargrave, Bradberry or CJGJ.  None of them (save Cox) are home grown.  Cox is a guy that could have done a discount last year and really didn't.  Not sure why he would now.   Bradberry has already said he's open to returning to the Giants.  He seems like a pure mercenary.  I don't see loyalty mattering to him.

Seumalo might consider a home town discount, but he's up for his last big contract.  But, he's homegrown. 

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

He said "I had a bad feeling"

He didn't say "I knew we were going to lose"

The parallels to SB 52 were uncanny. In both games, we kicked a FG to go up 6 after the opponent scored a TD. Then in both games, the opponent scored to go up 1. And in both games, we had a 4th and short on our side of the field. Doug went for it, Nick punted. Rest is history.

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’m in a spotty internet area so I can’t play videos. That’s lame by the reporter. 

That explains why Brown just tweeted "click bait.”

fwiw

Zangaro put out something similar but didn't use exact quotes

2 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

What's weird is, I was terrified about all the free agents and guys we'd lose. But actually listing it out, it's more manageable than I thought. CJGJ and Hargrave are the 2 guys to really work to bring back, and BG if it can be done. Everything else can be replaced other than Bradberry -- going to have to get lucky there.

Gardner-Johnson and Hargrave are the two I would put my money into as well.  Bradberry is good and the Eagles have been starved for good CBs, but the trenches are where you win/lose games more often.  I just hope they don't throw good money at Edwards or Epps -- those two guys can be replaced by just about anybody.

2 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The parallels to SB 52 were uncanny. In both games, we kicked a FG to go up 6 after the opponent scored a TD. Then in both games, the opponent scored to go up 1. And in both games, we had a 4th and short on our side of the field. Doug went for it, Nick punted. Rest is history.

Yup... against arguably the best QB in the league at the time.  You can't give the ball back to that QB without having a lead... and without having time to answer any score they make.  

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Gardner-Johnson and Hargrave are the two I would put my money into as well.  Bradberry is good and the Eagles have been starved for good CBs, but the trenches are where you win/lose games more often.  I just hope they don't throw good money at Edwards or Epps -- those two guys can be replaced by just about anybody.

If we go predominately penny front, Dean can replace TJ as he'll be covered by the DL.  Blankenship is a ? as a long-term starter, but you can role the dice on him replacing Epps. 

1 hour ago, Cliftoma said:

It is different when you are defender reacting vs a receiver who knows where they are going.  The 1st Toney td the secondary thought they recognized the play and got schooled.  The 2nd td to Moore Maddox can be seen sliding as he was trying to change directions with the pre snap motion.

I'm not blaming the field entirely for the loss but to say it didn't have a big impact on the Eagles is just ignoring reality

Sure it had some impact. Chiefs had to play on the same field as well.

13 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

What's weird is, I was terrified about all the free agents and guys we'd lose. But actually listing it out, it's more manageable than I thought. CJGJ and Hargrave are the 2 guys to really work to bring back, and BG if it can be done. Everything else can be replaced other than Bradberry -- going to have to get lucky there.

I’ve felt a couple weeks back, and I know there were some others that agreed with it that the defense was never going to be as good next year as it was this year. It was just not going to happen because of how many free agents you had and how many of them you were likely going to replace. So I’m already at the point we’re not gonna be as good next year defensively which is fine.

if that’s the case, i rather go younger and let guys get some experience and build them up so that in 2024 we can make a big leap again. I am not saying give up on 2023. What I am saying is we need to see how young kids can play and how they develop. Davis and dean didn’t get to play nearly as much this year as we would’ve liked due to the guys we had in place. So we don’t know exactly how great they are or average or lousy they are. so you’re gonna have to find out at some point cause  you drafted those guys to be big-time players . So you have to have them out there. You have multiple high draft I would like to get at least one offensive lineman to replace seumalo and potential lane long term replace, but the rest I would use defensively and put those guys out there. let’s see which one sink or swim by the time we get to the end of 2023. Because that long-term be maybe more beneficial than just patching up the defense with some veterans that are here a one-year contracts and then stunting the young kids growth.

I’d re-sign CJGJ. I think you have to extend hargrave just due to the lack of talent on the interior with suh, Joseph and Cox likely gone. means you have Davis and Milton Williams as the two who are likely long term guys with the team. I’d only bring back graham if he’s fine in a Chris long role making much less than he has. 

My 9 year old son refuses to take off his Jalen Hurts jersey.  That boy has been wearing that since the superbowl. (and shameless plug -- I bought that jersey from fanatics using the board link here, so some of that went to help the EMB).  

I'm hopeful for the future.  Hopefully Kelce comes back so we can give it another go next year.  

4 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

If we go predominately penny front, Dean can replace TJ as he'll be covered by the DL.  Blankenship is a ? as a long-term starter, but you can role the dice on him replacing Epps. 

Reed is a nice story and try hard guy but indont see him as a starter. Backup and special teamer

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

Just like playing in the mud, the offense knows where theyre going and the defense doesnt.  Huge advantage to the offense, especially if they get a running start on presnap motion.

Imagine being a defender, knowing you can barely plant your foot and cut, seeing your man on a dead sprint across the formation to the other side of the field.  Youd probably do what Darius Slay did, try to get a big jump on it.....whoops, your man just cut the other way, and you're done

Wouldn't that apply to the Chiefs as well when they're on defense? ?

Maybe the Eagles should have done similar plays if defenders were slipping all over the place..

I know people are upset but I'm just ready to move on.  Especially with this whole field thing.  I don't like to use it as an excuse when the Chiefs had the exact same disadvantages. 

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

fwiw

Zangaro put out something similar but didn't use exact quotes

Still a big difference from saying that to I knew we were gonna lose

14 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Very similar, but even though the Eagles were up 5 in SB 52, the Eagles got a defensive stop they needed. This team couldn't get one with a more talented defense against a QB on a bad ankle. This defensive performance by the Eagles with one of their best defensive units in franchise history was a historically bad performance. It was awful.

I'm listening to WIP today and Decamara today is saying his feeling today is the Eagles had the SB stolen from them. I think the Eagles got robbed, but I can't quite get there because all they needed was one freaking stop. One. Against a Chiefs offense with no Tyreek Hill. And Mahomes with a high ankle sprain. And not only couldn't they get a stop, it wasn't like SB 51 where Edelman made some amazing catch in the middle of the field that was centimeters from touching the ground. Or David Tyree. The Chiefs ran it down the Eagles throats and their receivers were wide open. Hell, they didn't even need to force a punt. If one of their TD drives was held to a FG instead, the Eagles win that game.

In their biggest test of the season their defense choked in epic fashion.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup... against arguably the best QB in the league at the time.  You can't give the ball back to that QB without having a lead... and without having time to answer any score they make.  

Pretty much, Doug didn't want Brady to get the ball and score.  As good as Buffalos defense was last season, they had a shoot out with KC, and couldn't stop Mahomes.  Cincy finally did, they beat the Chiefs 3 in a row till the AFCCG.

Offseason / FA Plan:

Kelce stays for the final year of his deal.

Let Bradberry walk unless he takes another 1 year prove it deal.  Need to get younger at CB anyway by investing a high draft pick.

New contracts for CJ and Hargrave.

Keep Graham since it makes no sense cap wise not to.  Prob keep Cox because we're only on the hook for $4M more in 2023.  Both will be gone after next year.

Sign Seumalo if the price is right.  Don't break the bank though.

Sign Edwards and/or White only if they come cheap.  Same with Sanders, although I'm disgusted with his SB performance to the point where I may not want him back at all.  Otherwise they can all walk.

Everyone else can go.

Oh yeah, extend Hurts also.

We have a 2-3 year window where we can push back cap hits before it catches us.  Need to make a strong push to win SB's now.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Sure it had some impact. Chiefs had to play on the same field as well.

Most definitely.  And they handled it better than the Eagles did.   

BUT... the entire point of the Super Bowl being played in domes and in great weather cities is to eliminate the variable of the field conditions being a part of the deciding factors.  If this is a regular season game, or if this was a home field situation, then that's 100% the way the cookie crumbles.  On the other hand, the NFL has set up the Super Bowl to be a neutral site and to eliminate 'field conditions' as a factor.  Just a disappointment for it to impact the Eagles more than the Chiefs... and more so, it should be an embarrassment to the NFL for all the effort they put into having a 'perfect' field for it to be a mess like that.  Major egg on their face, of course, they will never say it, because if they did it would give credulity to the complaints about the field and tarnish their premier event... just like the NFL has to defend the ticky tack defensive holding call that they hadn't called the entire game being called at such a critical juncture.  To admit that the flag should have remained in the pocket of the official on that play, would once again tarnish the outcome.  Then again, the outcome was tarnished anyway.  The last 2 minutes that could have been high drama and one of the greatest endings in SB history (possibly leading to an OT game) became a matter of killing the clock and kicking a FG with minimal drama with nearly all the excitement removed. The announcers had to try to create drama for the final kick by pointing out that they'd be kicking from a painted spot on the field, and that they'd seen lots of players slipping on those spots during the game... which, ironically, brings us full circle to the first thing that tarnished the game.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

I know people are upset but I'm just ready to move on.  Especially with this whole field thing.  I don't like to use it as an excuse when the Chiefs had the exact same disadvantages. 

Pretty much.  It was a 38-35 game, evenly matched (as most people should have known it would be going in).  We made more mistakes than they did -- the Hurts fumble, the Seumalo penalty that precipitated it, the crappy punt that threw off punt coverage, the Watkins drop on what was a huge chunk play -- too many mistakes that proved costly against a really good team.  

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Reed is a nice story and try hard guy but indont see him as a starter. Backup and special teamer

Epps essentially showed up in 2019 with similar expectations, but Reed can't make mistakes/take bad angles with 4.58 speed.

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Epps essentially showed up in 2019 with similar expectations, but Reed can't make mistakes/take bad angles with 4.58 speed.

Just saying Marcus Epps at his pro day ran a 4.55. So the same can be said about Epps can’t make mistakes and take bad angles either. 

Just now, Alphagrand said:

Pretty much.  It was a 38-35 game, evenly matched (as most people should have known it would be going in).  We made more mistakes than they did -- the Hurts fumble, the Seumalo penalty that precipitated it, the crappy punt that threw off punt coverage, the Watkins drop on what was a huge chunk play -- too many mistakes that proved costly against a really good team.  

The play where I thought it was over was the punt return.  That to me pretty much sealed it.

I keep thinking we just need 1 stop.  Who knows but maybe if Toney doesn't have that big return and they are at they're own 30 instead the defense finally gets a stop.  Maybe not.  Maybe the Chiefs march down anyway and score a TD.  

57 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I might prefer to trade Slay and keep Bradberry if we can’t afford both. But still, I think Howie will find a way to keep one of Hargrave or Bradberry. We better. Can’t go into a season where you want to get back to a SB with gaping holes at DT and CB.

Regarding Hargrave, it might be wiser to try and sign Daron Payne as a FA.  Similar quality player, and probably similar money, but significantly younger.

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Reid also got some good play from his linebackers, Bolton, Gay, even Chenal against the run.  They had some guys flying on defense and it looked like CGJ was the only one trying to make a play for the Eagles. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Just saying Marcus Epps at his pro day ran a 4.55. So the same can be said about Epps can’t make mistakes and take bad angles either. 

Or get trucked by Christian McCaffrey.

Just now, mattwill said:

Regarding Hargrave, it might be wiser to try and sign Daron Payne as a FA.  Similar quality player, and probably similar money, but significantly younger.

I think the competition to sign him makes that risky. If you get to FA and you swing and miss on him then you could also be out hargrave too. 

15 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Gannon needed to have the Jim Schwartz attitude. We're going to be aggressive and either get you the ball back or make sure you get the ball with enough time to win it. 

Archived