EAGLES/HURTS AGREE TO 5 YEAR/$255 MILLION EXTENSION!!

SPIDER-MAN

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No sorry what I meant was if we had lost I’m not sure Jalen would have said he had flu as the guy just doesn’t make excuses. I think he’d have kept it hush if we had lost.

No I get your point. This QB isn’t the type to make excuses. He seems only concerned with winning. That’s all that matters to him. 

• Like 2

I don't come here often, but are we really trashing Hurts?  He didn't have a perfect game, but QB performance ebbs and flows and he is dealing with another OC.  He did plenty to ensure the win in the end. As they say...winning ugly beats losing pretty. Take the W and move on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I don't come here often, but are we really trashing Hurts?  He didn't have a perfect game, but QB performance ebbs and flows and he is dealing with another OC.  He did plenty to ensure the win in the end. As they say...winning ugly beats losing pretty. Take the W and move on.

I think naturally some are bashing him. I think most of us though have concerns but those are levelled and reasonable. He’s not had a good start to the year and I think it’s fair to have some doubts. But it’s also fair to say you’d expect him to work hard and improve.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think naturally some are bashing him. I think most of us though have concerns but those are levelled and reasonable. He’s not had a good start to the year and I think it’s fair to have some doubts. But it’s also fair to say you’d expect him to work hard and improve.

I understand.  I'm not worried about him.  I tend to believe the new OC transition isn't quite going as smoothly as we'd like.  Either way, we really aren't having issues with getting the W and all that really matter is how we perform later in the season (and hopefully post season).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I understand.  I'm not worried about him.  I tend to believe the new OC transition isn't quite going as smoothly as we'd like.  Either way, we really aren't having issues with getting the W and all that really matter is how we perform later in the season (and hopefully post season).

Agreed! And to be honest if we played like this all year and ended up winning the SB we aren’t going to care. Would we like to play better? Of course but if we win ugly but ultimately win then that’s all that really matters.

This was easily Jalen’s best game of the season. He really started to get right by the end of the last game. The rumors of Jalen’s demise have been greaty exaggerated. 

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn’t have called Hurt’s struggles a "demise” but any objective observation of him the first three games could see he wasn’t what he had been last year. Yesterday was a lot better, especially with no turnovers and a few nice down field throws. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This was easily Jalen’s best game of the season. He really started to get right by the end of the last game. The rumors of Jalen’s demise have been greaty exaggerated. 

He's not rushing as much this year.  And honestly.  That's a good thing.  Donovan's rushing yards also decreased as his career went on.  We have the running game that he doesn't have to save the day with his legs all the time.  He did have some clutch runs in this game.  I liked his performance in the last few games honestly.    But I agree, this was his best game of the season.  A lot of clutch throws in tight windows.   21-1 over 22 games is very difficult to accomplish so he's on an amazing run right now.   We are winning in so many different ways with Jalen under center. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I certainly wouldn’t have called Hurt’s struggles a "demise” but any objective observation of him the first three games could see he wasn’t what he had been last year. Yesterday was a lot better, especially with no turnovers and a few nice down field throws. 

It certainly took longer for Jalen in the passing attack to get into sync, but I don’t think he was playing as badly as it was made out either. The biggest issue was the turnovers. I thought the int against the Vikings was his worst by far. Obviously the one that was almost a pick six in Tampa was a miscommunication. The deep one you could argue he put that one in danger, but last year he made those throws and his guys brought those passes down. For whatever the reason Smith didn’t even fight for that one. It felt to me like last week they started to turn the corner. This is like Jalen’s 5th OC in six seasons. The last two seasons were the first time he had consecutive seasons with the same OC so we should’ve expected some growing pains. This quarterback is now 27-11 as the Eagles starting quarterback. He’s 22-1 over his past 23 regular season games. Say what you will, but the guys is a winner. 

3 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

He's not rushing as much this year.  And honestly.  That's a good thing.  Donovan's rushing yards also decreased as his career went on.  We have the running game that he doesn't have to save the day with his legs all the time.  He did have some clutch runs in this game.  I liked his performance in the last few games honestly.    But I agree, this was his best game of the season.  A lot of clutch throws in tight windows.   21-1 over 22 games is very difficult to accomplish so he's on an amazing run right now.   We are winning in so many different ways with Jalen under center. 

I noticed this year that he’s not taking any chances. He’s getting out of bounds and he’s dropping down as soon as he can. There are times where maybe he could have tried to break a tackle. Last season he definitely tried to break some of those tackles, but this year he just goes down. Lose the battle but win the war. The season is a long one and the last two years he’s been hurt and it’s hurt the team. He’s protecting him self and I’m good with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I noticed this year that he’s not taking any chances. He’s getting out of bounds and he’s dropping down as soon as he can. There are times where maybe he could have tried to break a tackle. Last season he definitely tried to break some of those tackles, but this year he just goes down. Lose the battle but win the war. The season is a long one and the last two years he’s been hurt and it’s hurt the team. He’s protecting him self and I’m good with that.

I didn't want to gripe or criticize after this week's game, because it's not easy to begin 4-0. But since we are talking about this, I'll just offer my opinion. I don't agree with the strategy in regular season games to "play to not get injured." Jalen is a dynamic runner and this year, the offense is mostly without that dynamic. Everybody keeps asking, "when is the offense going to bust out?" It will resemble last year's offense, if Jalen does the things he did last year. But if he keeps sliding when he runs, he's just throwing downs away. I really don't mind the slide when it's appropriate, but on ... say ... a 1st down run --- try to get past that first guy at the LOS. Pretty much on every slide, the way they spot the ball, he could have picked up two more yards by accepting the contact, even without breaking the tackle or making the guy miss. With his abilities, I believe he will get beyond that first guy more than half the time. 

I watched this with McNabb. With Donovan, it was an insecurity as he didn't want to be called a "running QB." He gave up opportunities for sure first downs with his feet later in his career. The reason isn't the same with Jalen as they are just trying to limit the hits, but the missed opportunities are similar.

Another way to look at things is he can slide for no gain on a keeper and find himself running the sneak on the same series on 3rd or 4th down, or he can get a few more yards, take a normal hit, and put us into a more favorable down and distance that could help us avoid the sneak situation. 

This is just my opinion, but I am not a fan of quitting on plays to avoid contact. 

• Like 1

There were flashes but still really showing some rust. Wondering if it's what he learned from Johnson as a QB coach to what he's learning from the new QB coach

It was pointed out repeatedly last year that it was the first time that he'd had consistency at OC since high school, I think it's a transitional thing, it is picking up week by week.

But I do share some concerns that the coaching staff have told him to stop risking so much in the run game, and that does affect the offense, if the guy that was a proper runner last year is suddenly a slide before first contact guy it does make us easier to defend.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I didn't want to gripe or criticize after this week's game, because it's not easy to begin 4-0. But since we are talking about this, I'll just offer my opinion. I don't agree with the strategy in regular season games to "play to not get injured." Jalen is a dynamic runner and this year, the offense is mostly without that dynamic. Everybody keeps asking, "when is the offense going to bust out?" It will resemble last year's offense, if Jalen does the things he did last year. But if he keeps sliding when he runs, he's just throwing downs away. I really don't mind the slide when it's appropriate, but on ... say ... a 1st down run --- try to get past that first guy at the LOS. Pretty much on every slide, the way they spot the ball, he could have picked up two more yards by accepting the contact, even without breaking the tackle or making the guy miss. With his abilities, I believe he will get beyond that first guy more than half the time. 

I watched this with McNabb. With Donovan, it was an insecurity as he didn't want to be called a "running QB." He gave up opportunities for sure first downs with his feet later in his career. The reason isn't the same with Jalen as they are just trying to limit the hits, but the missed opportunities are similar.

Another way to look at things is he can slide for no gain on a keeper and find himself running the sneak on the same series on 3rd or 4th down, or he can get a few more yards, take a normal hit, and put us into a more favorable down and distance that could help us avoid the sneak situation. 

This is just my opinion, but I am not a fan of quitting on plays to avoid contact. 

I get your point and I think it’s valid. I think the Eagles and Jalen have decided that preserving Jalen’s health is more important than those yards right now. We have been complaining about how many times Jalen has carried the ball over the years and how "running quarterbacks always get hurt,” but we can’t then complain about him trying to protect himself now too. I feel like if he really needs to he will fight for those extra yards. Let’s not forget he tried to run in the Pats game and he got rocked! There has to be a happy medium. Eventually they will find it. For now don’t get Hurt, because Jalen being out for an extended period of time means Mariota and I don’t think anyone is ready to see that. 

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It was pointed out repeatedly last year that it was the first time that he'd had consistency at OC since high school, I think it's a transitional thing, it is picking up week by week.

But I do share some concerns that the coaching staff have told him to stop risking so much in the run game, and that does affect the offense, if the guy that was a proper runner last year is suddenly a slide before first contact guy it does make us easier to defend.

I hope teams make the determination that they don’t have to defend Hurts running, because then he will get even more yards untouched. His running and ability to make defenders miss to get the extra yards like the TD run against Minnesota last year isn’t gone. It will still be there come playoff time when the team has to have it. 

Hurts being able to win games solely with his arm and not his legs is what everyone wanted to see from him anyway wasn’t it? Prove he can win from the pocket and be the franchise qb for 10-12 years not just 3-4 while his legs can carry him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I get your point and I think it’s valid. I think the Eagles and Jalen have decided that preserving Jalen’s health is more important than those yards right now. We have been complaining about how many times Jalen has carried the ball over the years and how "running quarterbacks always get hurt,” but we can’t then complain about him trying to protect himself now too. I feel like if he really needs to he will fight for those extra yards. Let’s not forget he tried to run in the Pats game and he got rocked! There has to be a happy medium. Eventually they will find it. For now don’t get Hurt, because Jalen being out for an extended period of time means Mariota and I don’t think anyone is ready to see that. 

No team ever wants to see their franchise QB get hurt and believe me, I don't either. 

I loved this:

But these are big hits too:

There's no way to know when and how an injury will happen. I just don't want to take a guy like Jalen that can run so well and pass so well and try to turn him into a 1-dimensional QB. Go ahead and slide if you think it's going to be a big hit, but if the defender isn't coming at you on a collision course, attempt to make the most of the play. Sometimes an opponent only has to fear what you can do to adjust what they do. On a related note, I think the commanders actually tried to keep Covey from returning another punt and actually kicked it (poorly) out of bounds for 30 yards late in that game. We're actually seeing him get that respect that the better returners get. 

Defenders know Hurts is difficult to tackle. They know they have to hit him and tackle him like he’s a TE or RB. Unless he slides, then he’s protected almost like the other QBs in the league.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

No team ever wants to see their franchise QB get hurt and believe me, I don't either. 

I loved this:

But these are big hits too:

There's no way to know when and how an injury will happen. I just don't want to take a guy like Jalen that can run so well and pass so well and try to turn him into a 1-dimensional QB. Go ahead and slide if you think it's going to be a big hit, but if the defender isn't coming at you on a collision course, attempt to make the most of the play. Sometimes an opponent only has to fear what you can do to adjust what they do. On a related note, I think the commanders actually tried to keep Covey from returning another punt and actually kicked it (poorly) out of bounds for 30 yards late in that game. We're actually seeing him get that respect that the better returners get. 

Covey right now is considered a weapon. So much so that the Eagles have been actually giving him some snaps on offense as well. Hope he keeps it up. We will see how it goes with Jalen running. It’s hard for me to argue this either way, because I never liked when McNabb gave up his legs, and frankly he still got some pretty bad injuries regardless, but Hurts has been injured twice so far. One was a on run and one was during a pass. We also don’t kn what’s going on with his body. He might not be "injured” but he may be kind of hurt and trying not to let on also. Even though he’s not running as effectively, he’s still doing enough to force defense to have to account for him. He’s still assisting the offensive run game and Swift and Gainwell are benefiting from his presence. 

Both teams undefeated at this point, but this team has been running the ball more effectively without Jalen being the main catalyst. His numbers aren’t really that far off from each other actually. 

64CB79B4-9BEF-48F1-ABC3-668EAD554C5B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's a good way to put it.  He's my fantasy QB too so I'm all-in on both fronts.  Fair to say too that if Rivera goes for two there at the end and makes it, then the conversation is pretty different because the sky is falling in for some.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:45 AM, brkmsn said:

"Everybody keeps asking, "when is the offense going to bust out?" It will resemble last year's offense, if Jalen does the things he did last year. But if he keeps sliding when he runs, he's just throwing downs away. I really don't mind the slide when it's appropriate, but on ... say ... a 1st down run --- try to get past that first guy at the LOS. Pretty much on every slide, the way they spot the ball, he could have picked up two more yards by accepting the contact, even without breaking the tackle or making the guy miss.”

I am really surprised someone who has this hot of a take on Jalen would so easily not only excuse, but defend Watkins and his really small going out of bounds to avoid contact move in this last game. 

Jalen Hurts advances to 22-1 over his last 23 Regular Season Games.  This is also his 11th Straight Road Win and 11th Straight Regular Season Win.  Jalen also had 300 Yards in back to back games.  Lastly for all those nitpicking Jalen not rushing as much and sliding more.  He actually lead the team in Rushing today.    As I said, I'm fine with Jalen rushing numbers going down this year.  But I want him to use his super power when necessary.  Today he did that, took the runs when the Eagles absolutely needed it.   He had one mistake with the AJ Pick.  I get it, it's AJ. He thought he would beat the guy in a one on one.  So give the Defender credit.  Both goal-line picks this year against the Bucs and Rams were great job by their defense.  Overall it seems like we are really starting to put this all together.   All in All, great game by Jalen.   Let's keep on it going.  

• Like 1