EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Slay, Mitchell, DeJean, Blankenship, CJGJ, Ringo, Maddox…roster locks.

Brown…roster lock, but even if he’s ready they may stash him on PUP or something due to numbers.

Rodgers, Hall…probably making it, but not locks.

That’s 10 DBs.  That’s all most teams usually keep.

That leaves Bradberry, Jobe, and Ricks all on the outside.

I wouldn't call Maddox a lock at this stage 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Two years ago, a great pass rush, last season, not so much.

Think the problem wasn't coaching, but a sieve of a secondary that let QBs get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds.

We also had one of the best secondaries in the league so teams weren't able to pass on us easily which allowed the DL to get home more routinely. The DL and DB groups pretty much peaked simultaneously. Definitely not the case last year when we could be passed on by literally anyone. 

@bpac55

I don’t think it’s particularly fair to compare Hunt to Taylor, Johnson or Jackson. 

Taylor was an athlete at a position where instincts are necessary. It was just a bad pick who would have been a failure anywhere else since he can’t play. Johnson and Jackson were picked in rounds 6/7. Their talent level isn’t close to Hunt.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Slay, Mitchell, DeJean, Blankenship, CJGJ, Ringo, Maddox…roster locks.

Brown…roster lock, but even if he’s ready they may stash him on PUP or something due to numbers.

Rodgers, Hall…probably making it, but not locks.

That’s 10 DBs.  That’s all most teams usually keep.

That leaves Bradberry, Jobe, and Ricks all on the outside.

I wouldn't bet on Maddox as a roster lock, they've already eaten his dead money, he has to show he's worth keeping (and stay healthy).

I'd say Rodgers has an edge over Maddox. So that's 7 plus Brown on PUP. Hall is in the mix with the other marginal DBs.

Maddox, Hall, Jobe, Ricks, McCollum, Garner are probably in the lead for 2-3 spots.

Brown is almost certain to be kept on PUP to start the season, especially if they keep Maddox (odds of him injured by week 8 . . .). 8 months after an ACL . . . what's the rush?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I wouldn't bet on Maddox as a roster lock, they've already eaten his dead money, he has to show he's worth keeping (and stay healthy).

I'd say Rodgers has an edge over Maddox. So that's 7 plus Brown on PUP. Hall is in the mix with the other marginal DBs.

Maddox, Hall, Jobe, Ricks, McCollum, Garner are probably in the lead for 2-3 spots.

Brown is almost certain to be kept on PUP to start the season, especially if they keep Maddox (odds of him injured by week 8 . . .). 8 months after an ACL . . . what's the rush?

I think Maddox coming back was an insurance policy against the draft going a different way.  Now that the draft has broken the way it has... I think Maddox is a long shot to make the roster.  Maddox might be a PS stash as an insurance policy against injury, especially while Brown is on the PUP list.   I don't see another team jumping after him.  He was a free agent for a while, and I don't think I saw any team bring him in.

Jalyx Hunt may not have been the gamble I would have taken, but I really do like the approach.  

You got 2 blue chip talents already.  This draft really isn’t good rounds 3-7.  You’ve got a decent number of picks.

Do you draft the best available player from the SEC who has started for 2 years already?  The scouting world knows everything about him.  He CAN play in the NFL.  There’s no gamble.  But while he can probably be a marginal starter eventually, this will be someone you prefer to use as a reliable backup.

Or do you start getting weird with rugby players, overgrown 6’4” safeties from Cornell turning into DEs, small forwards that can’t shoot, Germans that haven’t played football that run a 4.2, etc. etc.  

He’s picking up quantity so he can take these picks to the lab.  If it were a better draft and we had fewer picks, I bet they’d stick to something more closely resembling a consensus board.  I’d expect more weirdness today.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, paco said:

Hey guys, I got to work outside most of the day today.  If I wanted to listen to the draft, any recommendations?  (I could just stream YouTube.TV but I don't get great wifi or cell out back so I'm looking for audio only)

Do you have Sirius XM?  I have the mobile app on my phone..works great.

9 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Bingo, with the modern media coverage of the entire process and all the data available to the average fan, from every snap of a player on YouTube, to combine and pro day measurables, to rumors of impressions from private workouts and interviews, etc, we can fall prey into thinking that the development of these prospects is still anything other than a crap shoot at the end of the day.

A big problem is "draft experts" tend to hype more than criticize, so everyone seems to be a lock.

Part of the problem is they're forced to write in terms of general skills, whereas actual success, especially after the first 40, is a combination of skills, character (work ethic, foiotball IQ) and fit.

One reason I love the Eagles draft is they've settled on a defense (Fangio, now with Fangio) and are drafting good fits, Mitchell is primarily a zone/off boundary CB in college, so easy transition, DeJean isn't going to be put on an island outside against elite WRs and so on.

Fangio likes "hybrid" athletes in his back seven so he can disguise coverages, that is the one knock on Blankenship and Dean, they have smarts but size and athletic limitations that force them into set roles. I think one reason they traded Reddick was his inability (or unwillingness, he's athletic enough) to drop into coverage, because Fangio doesn't like to blitz, but he does like to send different players out of his front seven to confuse blocking schemes - which means other players have to be functional in coverage.

• Like 1

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

I think Maddox coming back was an insurance policy against the draft going a different way.  Now that the draft has broken the way it has... I think Maddox is a long shot to make the roster.  Maddox might be a PS stash as an insurance policy against injury, especially while Brown is on the PUP list.   I don't see another team jumping after him.  He was a free agent for a while, and I don't think I saw any team bring him in.

Maddox can’t stay healthy and looked terrible in the playoffs, but I do think he’s too good to be on the PS.  The second a team has an injury at CB and a bad need, no one cares if a player is injury prone…they’ve gotta plug a hole and Maddox will get plucked.

2 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

I don’t unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Maddox can’t stay healthy and looked terrible in the playoffs, but I do think he’s too good to be on the PS.  The second a team has an injury at CB and a bad need, no one cares if a player is injury prone…they’ve gotta plug a hole and Maddox will get plucked.

I likely take that chance.

Just now, UK Eagle said:

Who is Quinton Mitchell?  🤔

Its a Philly constant... names can't be right.   Quinyon... Y, not T.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Looks like these are the options 

Radio coverage of the 2024 NFL Draft will be provided by SiriusXM, Westwood One, and ESPN Radio.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Jalyx Hunt may not have been the gamble I would have taken, but I really do like the approach.  

You got 2 blue chip talents already.  This draft really isn’t good rounds 3-7.  You’ve got a decent number of picks.

Do you draft the best available player from the SEC who has started for 2 years already?  The scouting world knows everything about him.  He CAN play in the NFL.  There’s no gamble.  But while he can probably be a marginal starter eventually, this will be someone you prefer to use as a reliable backup.

Or do you start getting weird with rugby players, overgrown 6’4” safeties from Cornell turning into DEs, small forwards that can’t shoot, Germans that haven’t played football that run a 4.2, etc. etc.  

He’s picking up quantity so he can take these picks to the lab.  If it were a better draft and we had fewer picks, I bet they’d stick to something more closely resembling a consensus board.  I’d expect more weirdness today.

There's the marginal value thing.

Reliable backups have value, especially if you have a thin roster, but other than OL7-8, RB, ILB? there are few open slots for these guys. And Howie has shown he can find this guys as UDFAs, August waiver wire pickups, late round trades in the fall.

And you don't draft reliable backup types to not dress all season (the last 4-5 53 man roster slots, and the 3 protected PS slots, guys too good to expose all season). So if they're not good enough backups to play right away, and don't have starter potential, they're kind of a waste of a 53 man roster spot.

So you really want to gamble on guys you can project as future starters, even if the odds are only 20-30%.

Look at Ojomo last season - he'll probably be our 3rd DE (3-4 set), 4th DT with starter upside down the road. Howie gambled on an athlete over some "safer" picks earlier in the draft.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So then trade Maddox during training camp once an inevitable injury happens. Win win. 

For those that want Trotter Jr., besides his name, why should the Eagles draft him? 

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

There's the marginal value thing.

Reliable backups have value, especially if you have a thin roster, but other than OL7-8, RB, ILB? there are few open slots for these guys. And Howie has shown he can find this guys as UDFAs, August waiver wire pickups, late round trades in the fall.

And you don't draft reliable backup types to not dress all season (the last 4-5 53 man roster slots, and the 3 protected PS slots, guys too good to expose all season). So if they're not good enough backups to play right away, and don't have starter potential, they're kind of a waste of a 53 man roster spot.

So you really want to gamble on guys you can project as future starters, even if the odds are only 20-30%.

Look at Ojomo last season - he'll probably be our 3rd DE (3-4 set), 4th DT with starter upside down the road. Howie gambled on an athlete over some "safer" picks earlier in the draft.

Howie took a heat check pick

Just now, wussbasket said:

For those that want Trotter Jr., besides his name, why should the Eagles draft him? 

Because besides his name, it’s also his dads name

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think they need to push for a WR a bit. Still some good talent out there. Would also like to see them pick up RB/DL/OL. Love how Howie has picked up several 4ths and 5ths to move around plenty today. 

43 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Yeah the barwin comps are wildly optimistic. We can make ourselves feel better about the pick without the need for hyperbole.

Wonder if the director of player development had any say on this pick 👀.  I know nothing about the kid outside of what I’ve read so far. Seems like a boom/bust pick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

I think they need to push for a WR a bit. Still some good talent out there. Would also like to see them pick up RB/DL/OL. Love how Howie has picked up several 4ths and 5ths to move around plenty today. 

Hopefully they all don’t get scooped up boom boom boom, because I think this is a great round to get WR, RB and TE. Maybe OL. 

WR - Franklin and Baker are the two best IMO

RB - I’m good with a handful. 

TE - Theo Johnson

OL - Mahogany

7 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

Because he’s a lb and we have maybe 1 whole one on the roster currently. 

17 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Welp we got our new misspelled name all the time player on the roster.