EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

9 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Or the incompotence to have brought Patricia on board in the first place.

Was that Nick.... or Lowie?  🤔

57 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I won't be shocked to hear he's having some type of knee surgery. Dude looked like Lizzo running out there at times this year.

58 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

So how looked beautiful and elegant. Remember, we aren't allowed to say she's fat, overweight or gross. Lizzo is what women should strive to look like.

• Haha 3

Just now, Sack that QB said:

I think the question about Hurts is less "Is it his fault?" and more "Is he an elite franchise QB?" If the answer to the second question is no, it doesn't matter much if the answer to the first question is no either. If you don't have an elite franchise QB in the NFL, unless you build an unbelievably stacked roster from top to bottom with an incredible defense, you aren't winning Super Bowls.

I don't think the answer to the second question is no, but I've shifted a lot closer to that side that I was a year ago I'll say that.

Meh I think this myth about franchise qbs is overrated 

Foles won the eagles only super bowl.

He has more superbowl wins than Dan Marino, Warren Moon Matt Ryan, philip rivers and same amount as Steve young russell wilson kurt warner and matt stafford.

Look at niners, their roster is stacked and purdy while he has good numbers this year hes a glorified game manager.

The most recent " formula" to success is winning while your qb is playing his best while in his rookie contract.

Currently thats niners, packers and Texans.

Was the eagles last year and eagles in 2017 as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, we know he went rogue with Brown on at least one occasion and did his own thing rather than the play called.   So, he can go rogue.

He went rogue because they screwed up the play.  

The coaching staffs answer to the blitz was having every receiver run 10 yds and turn around.  Troy was like it is incomprehensible that they don't have a WR running a slant or a route that allows them catch the ball with an opportunity for YAC.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

It's because they kind of self admit that certain positions aren't a priority, but what doesn't happen is the self reflection year on year to remove that bias when the NFL evolves or trends emerge.  The Eagles thinking on LB and S is about 20 years out of date now, in the same way BB as a HC in NE was stuck in the past.  They need to stop trading picks so much; the middle rounds of the draft are where you build the core of your team, but most picks are with other teams. 

It's why I can't help but think the FO needs a clear out of the brain trust in order to sort the cap out and reassess how to build a roster in the 2020s and not the 2000s.  There is a young core there, but I worry Howie will outwit himself trading a 3rd for a vet WR who will get 20 catches a year, etc.  The FO need to change the tune this off-season.

It’s honestly why I don’t want them to go after Bill Belichick. It’s not because I don’t think he can still be a quality coach but I don’t think you’re gonna get the sustainable high level success he had before the last couple years. I think the game is passing him by And he doesn’t have Tom Brady. It’s why I would go with somebody who is an X’s & O’s type offensive guy that can scheme up players to be open. Because with the talent you have if you can scheme guys open, and the offensive line is still good then you should be able to score on almost anybody.

Imagine if you put Sean McVay as head coach of this team. Taking away his poor game management, this team probably is scoring in the 30-40s consistently. It legit might be the best collection of overall talent mcvay would have had. 

On the second paragraph yeah they need to adapt and alter their philosophy. The Andy Reid philosophy was good in the 2000s. Even Andy Reid has changed some of his philosophies. They went out and got gay and Bolton in the draft in the second round. He’s drafted mcduffie in the first round. They went out and drafted a running back in the first round. Granted it didn’t work out but Andy Reid was willing to change his philosophy. The eagles continue to ignore taking any position besides wr, OL, DL in the first round. If you’re not willing to adapt and tinker and change, then you’re gonna get stuck in the past, and the future is gonna be pretty bleak essentially be the cowboys 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

You do realize Kelce made 1st team All Pro this year? Nothing screams not being not locked in that being the best guy at your position. 

Or maybe Chiefs have no one else so they blanket cover Kelce and he is 34 so maybe just maybe slowing down a step. 

Yeah, I heard that somewhere thanks.

Look at it this way.  If I'm an underperforming Eagles player (there were many) and Jason Kelce tells me in the locker room I need to get my crap together and focus -- you don't think I'm gonna feel like asking him how his podcast is coming along?  IMO it was an unneeded distraction during the season.  Offseason?  No problem.  It should be an offseason venture IMO.

19 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Siri has earned the right to try and right the ship, he turned this team around in his first season, he can do it again (hopefully).

The key to becoming a great HC is learning from your bad years, everyone's a genius when you have talent and it stays healthy, this season either Siri will learn from it and take it up a notch or delude himself into thinking it was a fluke and fail to change.

The Eagles have a good young core, but they need more young talent and to clear cap room, in a couple years Howie can strategically hit the FA market to finish the job.

Unfortunately, he turned the team further - right back to where he began - an embarrassing loss to the 'Bucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

So how looked beautiful and elegant. Remember, we aren't allowed to say she's fat, overweight or gross. Lizzo is what women should strive to look like.

giphy.gif

8wrAcj1.jpg

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

He went rogue because they screwed up the play.  

The coaching staffs answer to the blitz was having every receiver run 10 yds and turn around.  Troy was like it is incomprehensible that they don't have a WR running a slant or a route that allows them catch the ball with an opportunity for YAC.  

I don't disagree that the coaching staff bears the brunt of the blame, but that particular rogue play ended any chance in that game and the coach had to cover for it with a stupid "we were hoping for DPI" explanation.

• Like 1

Thinking about Hurts and how good he really is, I ask myself how McNabb or Cunningham would thrived in this offense with these weapons. They also had their deficiencies, but neither had close to the offense that Hurts has.

Biggest difference from a team standpoint was/is that they actually had a legit defense.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Meh I think this myth about franchise qbs is overrated 

Foles won the eagles only super bowl.

He has more superbowl wins than Dan Marino, Warren Moon Matt Ryan, philip rivers and same amount as Steve young russell wilson kurt warner and matt stafford.

Look at niners, their roster is stacked and purdy while he has good numbers this year hes a glorified game manager.

The most recent " formula" to success is winning while your qb is playing his best while in his rookie contract.

Currently thats niners, packers and Texans.

Was the eagles last year and eagles in 2017 as well.

Brady dominated the NFL for 20 years and the Patriots collapsed when he left. The Chiefs have dominated the AFC West every year since Mahomes got there. The Bengals became relevant when Burrow got there. The Bills became relevant when Allen got there.

Having a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything, but you need one in today's NFL, you just do. If you don't have one, you're behind the 8 ball. Doesn't mean you can't build a champion, but it's much much harder without one.

The idea that a coach won't come here if we fire Sirianni is silly.  These jobs are like gold, and we'd probably be the best vacancy.  

Imagine the turnaround on defense if we could get Belichick coaching up Carter, Davis, Dean, Ricks, Ringo, Nolan, Milton....

Pair his in-game coaching and scheming with a good offensive coach/playcaller, take the burden of GM off of hiss houlders....now youre cooking. 

And again, regarding Patricia. Put yourself in his shoes.  You're promoted in-season and you're expected to show results immediately.  He's not going to keep doing what Desai did--Desai was just demoted. His failure was not correcting the fundamentals, but there weren't a lot of tools available for him to use.  No surprise he was trying to fix stuff up.  He, and the players as a result, were put in a position to fail by the FO.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, we know he went rogue with Brown on at least one occasion and did his own thing rather than the play called.   So, he can go rogue.

If he has to go rogue with regularity to beat the blitz, especially on 3rd downs, then that's pretty damning in and of itself though.

• Like 1

Pretty obvious from start to finish that this coaching staff was not up to the task. I thought the move to Patricia was an overreaction and, ultimately, the wrong move (probably forced by the FO).  When Reich was fired they should have throw every to get him in the building.  That was the move they needed to make.  

And, if you think this guy is just going to sit on his hands after that epic collapse, well...

FB_IMG_1705418681340.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Mike31mt said:

The idea that a coach won't come here if we fire Sirianni is silly.  These jobs are like gold, and we'd probably be the best vacancy.  

Imagine the turnaround on defense if we could get Belichick coaching up Carter, Davis, Dean, Ricks, Ringo, Milton. 

Pair his in-game coaching and scheming with a good offensive coach/playcaller, take the burden of GM off of his shoulders....now youre cooking. 

True -- but if that head coach is in high demand and has multiple offers, would you take the job where Doug was fired 3 years after winning the Super Bowl and Nick fired one year after reaching one, or would you be inclined to take the other one with more security? 

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

If he has to go rogue with regularity to beat the blitz, especially on 3rd downs, then that's pretty damning in and of itself though.

Agreed.  

13 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

We go 5 wide, they show 6 man blitz, we don't change the play.  Does Sirianni not allow it, do Hurts/Kelce not see it (of course they do)?  Only two things can be true: coach won't allow play change or the gameplan does not have play change in it for Hurts and Kelce to change play and blocking scheme.  Coaching is the issue on offense.  Coaching, depth and talent on D.

Pretty sure I saw him audible last night into something that didn't work

11 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Even though I think he's a Rooney Rule candidate for these head coaching jobs, Brian Johnson interviewing for three head coaching jobs throws an interesting variable into Lurie's decision making.  What does firing the entire coaching staff do to BJ's candidacy for those jobs?  Firing Sirianni leaves the coordinators without jobs almost by default (although Stoutland has been retained through different coaching regimes, it's uncommon).  

Good point. We'd lose out on those comp picks that Howie adores 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't disagree that the coaching staff bears the brunt of the blame, but that particular rogue play ended any chance in that game and the coach had to cover for it with a stupid "we were hoping for DPI" explanation.

I swear they did it again last night on one of those 3rd and short plays

17 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Was that Nick.... or Lowie?  🤔

Don't know, don't care. In an ideal world, both would be shown the door. But Lurie has lost his way and is no longer one of the better owners in the league. I have lost all faith in him to make the proper decisions when needed. I'm thankful that they put in place the pieces to make that run last season, but they lack the ability to understand why it worked, so it's evident they were just throwing ish against the wall to see what sticks, rather than the results of a deliberate, methodological approach to the problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Aikman was like have they ever heard of a blitz pickup or a slant route 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

The biggest indictment on Nick and the coaches was them getting laid out by ex players, coaches, and analysts last night. Aikman called them out on the broadcast, same with Manning, even Jay Gruden did on Twitter/X. It’s as clear as day to anyone who has an iota of a football IQ. 

The best was Ray Lewis reacting to eagles tackling on the manning cast. I thought he was going to blow a gasket.

• Like 2

Well, at least it is over. Here are some random thoughts on what we need to do by position group. After cutting Byard, we will have a little over $40mm in cap space. So that's the starting point.

Head Coach -- I really didn't think there was anything Nick could do to get fired this year...then last night happened. It's not just losing. It's not just being blown out. That was national media attention and every NFL analyst was basically calling our offense a joke. Lurie hates to be embarrassed, and we had a gift where all the attention was on the Dallas collapse. Win, or lose with pride, and you're not the story. We lost to the Cards and Giants on regional broadcasts no one saw...this was a national embarrassment and has given Jeff cover of basic universal opinion that Sirianni was overmatched. I'd move on and try to get BB or Vrabel.

OC -- If Nick stays, I think Brian stays, sadly. Because this is NICK's offense, as he always tells us. Why would an outside OC candidate come here to call that offense? Guys like Kellen Moore, Eric Bienemy...they are going to want to run the show. 

DC -- Leslie Frazier or Wink Martindale (if Nick stays), but this means Howie and Lurie have to give up on the Fangio style. But we need our next Jim Schwartz/Jim Johnson -- a guy who has been around and can run the D. If they go young, All Harris or bring back Dennard Wilson.

QB -- Hurts is back, obviously. If Mariota is cheap enough, he's a fine backup. But I'd rather see McKee compete for the #2 spot. Only change here may be swapping out Mariota for a different vet

RB -- Gainwell is back, and he is likely the only one. Swift fell off dramatically, and Scott and Penny added nothing. Top picks will be on defense, so I expect another bargain signing/trade. Does Dalvin Cook have anything left? Basically took this year off and will be cheap on a 1 year deal. 

WR -- Brown is back, and Smith is going to get extended. DeVonta will likely get top 15 money and be worth it. You can wait a year on AJ. For WR3, Quez is gone. Another bargain FA name that could be interesting -- Brandin Cooks. Can't imagine Dallas brings him back. Covey stays.

OL -- With Kelce out, 4 starters are locked -- Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens and Johnson. Dickerson should get an extension.  Mailata should as well, as he only is signed through 2025 (they could wait, but I'd lock him down). Steen should have the lead at RG but have to earn it. Opeta and Driscoll are free agents, and I think one comes back, along with Fred Johnson. Ideally, Opeta and Driscoll are both cheap and resign, but guys tend to overpay our backup O-Lineman. Going to need to draft here, and think about a RT. 

DL -- Now the fun begins. I would try and resign Cox and Graham to team friendly deals -- Cox played well this year, and BG won't break the bank as a part time pass rusher. Sweat is going into the last year and likely gets extended given our complete lack of options behind him. This is where I think we try and make a big FA signing -- Brian Burns, Chase Young, etc. Davis, Carter, Ojomo, Tuli all back. 

OLB -- The decision on Reddick will be interesting. Over $21mm cap hit in the last year of his deal. You almost have to extend him to get that number down, but coming off 3 straight years of double digit sacks, he is going to be looking for his last monster payday. I think we may look to trade him. He will be 30, looking for a mega deal, and was invisible at the end of the year. Nolan Smith showed a little something at the end of the year, and I'd rather put money to a big FA DE and move on from Reddick. 

ILB -- Need a complete reset. Cunningham was trash last night, and Morrow was trash all season. Leonard is cooked. I'd love to see them use a 2nd rounder on a LB, but not sure they will. Dean will be back but anything you get from him is a bonus. I'd spend real FA dollars here.

CB -- Bradberry is interesting because even as a post 6/1 cut, you get basically no savings. Since you can only do 2 post 6/1 cuts, and you set up BG to be one (even if he comes back), do you waste the 2nd on someone who provides no savings? Cutting Reddick as a post 6/1 is $15.9mm in savings ($13.7mm dead cap in 2025). You're almost better keeping JB and just deactivating him every game. Slay will be back (depending on injury), and Ringo/Ricks/Jobe will be as well. Maddox should be cut -- he can't be on the roster at an almost $10mm cap hit. Rodgers hopefully can step in. I'd look to use a 1st or 2nd on a CB to compete with Ringo/Ricks to start opposite Slay, let Rodgers play the slot.

S -- We have nothing. Reed will be back and start by default. Byard is gone, and Brown may not be healthy. Have to sign a FA and draft someone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

True -- but if that head coach is in high demand and has multiple offers, would you take the job where Doug was fired 3 years after winning the Super Bowl and Nick fired one year after reaching one, or would you be inclined to take the other one with more security? 

Look at the other options, where is the security?

Washington is arguable. Seattle just fired Carroll and honestly he wasn't that bad there.  Carolina and Mr. Drink Tosser?  Tennessee and Atlanta have bad rosters and need overhauls and will probably take another losing season or two.

Belichick, specifically, is in his 70s I think. He's going to want a winner.