EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Does Hurts need to stop trying to carry the team on his back? Sure, but I don't think most of the offensive issues were on him. He needs to improve, but realistically our offense was super stale this year. 0 creativity, moving away from running the ball even when we have success, seemed to be super shallow in plays (not sure if this is because of BJ or if it's Nick's offense in general), game planning flawed. And that's the side of the house we were better on.

Hurts has terrible vision and sense. He locks into the first option and the defense reads his eyes immediately. He doesn’t have the vision or poise to look for/wait for the 2nd/3rd read to develop. His eyes are rarely down the field during scrambling. Last night he was staring at Watkins pre snap on a 3rd down and then threw it to him. If he even scanned 15 yards to the right, he would have seen Goedert wide open at the sticks for an easy first. This crap happens all the time with Hurts. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Also the stubbornness to keep Patricia when it was clear he wasn't right should be another bullet for Nick and Howie

Or the incompotence to have brought Patricia on board in the first place.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I don’t think he needs to be fixed. I think he needs to be consistently like 2022 Jalen hurts in order for the Eagles to win the ultimate prize. If he is closer to 2023 and 2021 when we make coaching changes then I don’t think the Eagles can win the Super Bowl. It puts him somewhere in the top 10 quarterbacks range, but I think you need him to be a top 5 quarterback in order to win a Super Bowl on the contract that he has.

needs to cut down on his turnovers. But he also needs to get better play calling and protection vs. blitz but he needs to also be better and not bail on pockets which frankly i think he’s in his own head thinking these blitz pickups by these coaches just isn’t there so i have to protect myself  

The real question that needs to be asked about Sirianni is if he has lost the locker room. If that’s really the case, then he has to go, even with his three year success. If the relationship between players and coach is broken, then changes need to be made regardless of the look.

11 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He's not entirely wrong.  At 10-1 a podcast is a great side gig.  When the losing starts it needs to be put to the bin until the offseason.  Just another symptom that these players weren't all business.

Look at Travis Kelce's numbers -- worst since 2015 for yardage and lowest YPC of his career.  

:nonono:  When losing starts, everyone points fingers at the wrong things... this would be an example of that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

You can eat flowers and people do but they dont have much substance and taste funny...

Like this season...☹️

I was 5yrs old - he was keeping it simple w/o rolling out what was on the menu at the gulag.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That would be a valid argument, if not for the fact that the podcast started in 2022 and both of them played in the Super Bowl last year. Think it's possible that Kelce was down because Mahomes only had Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder to throw to other than him until Rice stepped up at the end of the year?

As the popularity and reach grows, the time and energy commitment grows as well.  It's an excellent argument all around.  

1 hour ago, wussbasket said:

It doesn't seem Siri has lost the faith of the locker room with Reddick publicly defending him, and I feel I've heard other comments from players that indicated there is still support for him. My thoughts are the issues with the defense are mainly on Howie. You could have brought Jim Johnson back to lead this defense and they would still lose like this. Relying on Dean and Blankenship didn't work out for the back 7. Dean had 2 IR stints, and Blankenship was constantly injured. Did they ever have the same back 7 grouping 2 weeks in a row? There were too many injuries to overcome. Defense was just horribly managed with the changing of coordinators in the middle of the season and the roster construction was equally bad. It's like Howie was trying to see what is the lowest amount of talent you can have in the back 7 and still be average.

Now the offense, even though statistically top 10, it was just not great this year. The team almost never got into a rhythm, felt like we barely ever saw them get in the hurry up outside of 2 min offense. This is supposedly Siri's offense, why does it look so much different than last year? How much say does Brian Johnson have in the weekly planning? How much of it is Hurts that is limiting the offense that is called?

My thought is that if the FO wants to stay with Siris offense, which I think they will, he needs to bring in a OC that has previous HC experience and has called plays before. But what the hell is the point of Siri if you need to bring in someone else to run the offense and defense.

Meanwhile Hurts gave at best a lukewarm endorsement of Sirianni. I think it’s pretty clear there are some in the locker room who have no faith in him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I think this should be obvious to anyone who wasn't overly emotional. At minimum he has next year to come back with an actual NFL level coaching staff/scheme. It's pretty obvious at a certain point that the whole team was just trying to force the issue (also see Reddick/Sweat) to counteract the crap and it looked painful.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Do you know what just irritates me about this whole situation. Back in 2021, what did we all say? They need to rebuild the entire defense. Get a bunch of young players and build that defense over the next two years so that in for the long term they would have a young fast defense that was sustainable.

We are now in 2024 off-season and we’re talking about the same Fing thing. This team keeps finding itself in the same Fing position because they can’t crack the code of draft and development on that side of the ball to sustain it. FA and trades patch work it until it begins leaking all over the place again. 

It's because they kind of self admit that certain positions aren't a priority, but what doesn't happen is the self reflection year on year to remove that bias when the NFL evolves or trends emerge.  The Eagles thinking on LB and S is about 20 years out of date now, in the same way BB as a HC in NE was stuck in the past.  They need to stop trading picks so much; the middle rounds of the draft are where you build the core of your team, but most picks are with other teams. 

It's why I can't help but think the FO needs a clear out of the brain trust in order to sort the cap out and reassess how to build a roster in the 2020s and not the 2000s.  There is a young core there, but I worry Howie will outwit himself trading a 3rd for a vet WR who will get 20 catches a year, etc.  The FO need to change the tune this off-season.

• Like 1

I think the question about Hurts is less "Is it his fault?" and more "Is he an elite franchise QB?" If the answer to the second question is no, it doesn't matter much if the answer to the first question is no too. If you don't have an elite franchise QB in the NFL, unless you build an unbelievably stacked roster from top to bottom with an incredible defense, you aren't winning Super Bowls.

I don't think the answer to the second question is no, but I've shifted a lot closer to that side than I was a year ago I'll say that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Is he watching 2022 game tape of 2023 game tape?

I have zero problem with hurts last night other than the couple times he rolled out of a clean pocket and when he took the safety 

Other than that he was set up to fail.

Everybody knew the bucs were going to blitz and they did, they left the middle of the field open all game and the eagles kept running go routes out routes and those stupid every body run ten yard curl routes...

Cant beat the blitz when coaches dont put players in position to do so, chucking up prayer go routes every time and hoping for the best isnt a game plan its just a prayer.

That Siri and BJ couldnt figure it out after 18 weeks justifies firing them both in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

As the popularity and reach grows, the time and energy commitment grows as well.  It's an excellent argument all around.  

If you truly think two of the most passionate and dedicated players in the league shirk their football responsibilities even one iota for a podcast, I 100% disagree. And that's ok.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Hurts has terrible vision and sense. He locks into the first option and the defense reads his eyes immediately. He doesn’t have the vision or poise to look for/wait for the 2nd/3rd read to develop. His eyes are rarely down the field during scrambling. Last night he was staring at Watkins pre snap on a 3rd down and then threw it to him. If he even scanned 15 yards to the right, he would have seen Goedert wide open at the sticks for an easy first. This crap happens all the time with Hurts. 

He was staring down Smith majority of the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I think one of thr big roster things to lookout for is what they end up doing with Reddick. He wants a new deal.  He's turning 30. A new deal would cost a lot.  The smart move I believe would be to trade him but not sure they will.

Trading Reddick is absolutely the right thing to do. They can't afford a massive contract on a one trick pony who is getting up there in age and only works well in a certain kind of defense. The next DC needs to have a more balanced scheme. I'm taking whatever I can for Reddick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

They stick around because players like playing for them

They are also consistent, meaasured, and not over-emotional. The players know exactly what they are walking into when they go to work each and every day. All of those things combined create a great working environment.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

A young innovative offensive mind is what this team needs most.  The Eagles tried to run it back with a version of last year's offense that wasn't as diversified and a step down in play calling.  The league was on to it.  Players were calling out our plays and we had no answers for the blitz all season long.

Hurts needs somebody to take him to the next level, not someone who is going to be overly reliant on a college level RPO system.  With the right coaching I believe he can.  The guy is a tireless and determined worker.

I don't care if it's a young or old innovative mind.   I just want a mind... a good mind.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He's not entirely wrong.  At 10-1 a podcast is a great side gig.  When the losing starts it needs to be put to the bin until the offseason.  Just another symptom that these players weren't all business.

Look at Travis Kelce's numbers -- worst since 2015 for yardage and lowest YPC of his career.  

You do realize Kelce made 1st team All Pro this year? Nothing screams not being not locked in that being the best guy at your position. 

Or maybe Chiefs have no one else so they blanket cover Kelce and he is 34 so maybe just maybe slowing down a step. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

The young core is what I’m scared of. 

Siri with all of his rest days and soft practices. Does that work with a young core? 

Clearly, it does not.

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Is he watching 2022 game tape of 2023 game tape?

We go 5 wide, they show 6 man blitz, we don't change the play.  Does Sirianni not allow it, do Hurts/Kelce not see it (of course they do)?  Only two things can be true: coach won't allow play change or the gameplan does not have play change in it for Hurts and Kelce to change play and blocking scheme.  Coaching is the issue on offense.  Coaching, depth and talent on D.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Trading Reddick is absolutely the right thing to do. They can't afford a massive contract on a one trick pony who is getting up there in age and only works well in a certain kind of defense. The next DC needs to have a more balanced scheme. I'm taking whatever I can for Reddick.

Sadly, I agree as well. They need a youth movement, especially on D. Nolan Smith can try and play that role.

• Like 1

Even though I think he's a Rooney Rule candidate for these head coaching jobs, Brian Johnson interviewing for three head coaching jobs throws an interesting variable into Lurie's decision making.  What does firing the entire coaching staff do to BJ's candidacy for those jobs?  Firing Sirianni leaves the coordinators without jobs almost by default (although Stoutland has been retained through different coaching regimes, it's uncommon).  

10 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Quite a few former QBs like Orlovsky and O'Sullivan have been coming out and blaming the offensive system / play designs, but fans still think Hurts can just go rogue when it comes to throwing hot in potential blitz situations. I'm not sure there's anything that could come out now which whould change their minds.

Well, we know he went rogue with Brown on at least one occasion and did his own thing rather than the play called.   So, he can go rogue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't care if it's a young or old innovative mind.   I just want a mind... a good mind.

Yes.  Somebody with an NFL level mind.  Not a pop warner OC and glorified cheerleader