Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

Absolutely horrible goal given up by elliot. First gives up a juicy rebound on a long unscreened shot, then can't poke it away or control it at all, and then let's a weak shot pop over him.

Couple of good looks on the PP but coots was getting assaulted for a good 10 seconds, which wasted time cause provorov has to wait for the team to reset for a rush

Another failed exit leads to a goal as gjroux tried to back pass to ghost and ghost couldn't handle it

The flyers offensively are just terrible with puck control right now, can't handle passes or loose pucks. Lot of pucks bouncing over sticks

The nhl trade deadline is April 12. I’m curious to see what the Flyers do. If they continue to play like this and struggle (have some easier games against the Rangers, Sabres and devils coming up but also islanders and bruins week before the deadline so could change but also might continue) what they’ll do. With the expansion draft coming up if you see this team continue to struggle and don’t think this team has it to be a contender this year they might consider not making big acquisition or a major move. 

Taryn is the only good thing about watching Flyers' games right now.  Really like the new look.

Al is really looking old.  He sounds exactly the same as he always has and still knows the game, but damn.  I got to meet him once years ago at a Flyers game at the one brewpub bar (Liberty Bell Brewing?).  My sister tended bar at a place he would frequent and she got to know him so one time we were at a game together (used to get to go games 3-4 times/years via season tix from my mom's company, that was great) and she went to go meet him and say hi.  I was surprised that he was kind of short.  Nice guy.  BTW, on 2 occasions my sister was chosen to model Flyers gear during commercial breaks.  Don't know if they still do that, but back then they would choose a girl out of the crowd and have her wear something they were promoting and put it on the jumbotron for the arena during a commercial break.  Also once saw Joey Merlino sitting one section over at a game.

This team is in a bad funk right now.  Having issues with TOs leading to goals against and can't seem to get it together on O. 

That was a nice job by coots so that JVR could get the goal 

The Flyers' MO lately.  Score a goal then give one up.  WTF?

FFS, a guy who hadn't scored in 166 games has scored 2 goals vs the Flyers in the past week.

Let's hope Hart is like Mailata and just needed some perspective from the bench.  Right?

2 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

The Flyers' MO lately.  Score a goal then give one up.  WTF?

FFS, a guy who hadn't scored in 166 games has scored 2 goals vs the Flyers in the past week.

According to Flyers radio that’s the 12th time this year where they scored a goal and giving up a goal in under a minute

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

According to Flyers radio that’s the 12th time this year where they scored a goal and giving up a goal in under a minute

That's more than a fluke.  That's F'ing ridiculous.  Something is wrong there.

How did Farabee not score there?  Thought it was a goal.  Damn.

6 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Let's hope Hart is like Mailata and just needed some perspective from the bench.  Right?

I think hart Will be fine. I think the scheduling has screwed with them. Yes stop in March and then have a four month break play for two months I didn’t have a 3 1/2 month break. A young kid I think having structure and normal schedule would help. It’s got to be a shock to his system. it might just be a down year for room and next year do you see him bounce back. 

I think the bigger issue for the Flyers is their defense is not good. niskanen was good last year up until they got to the bubble and a nice addition. They sorely missed and Myers out didn’t help that but I also don’t think their young defensemen have improved enough from what they were last year. You expected the young guys to get better but really kind of like with Carter hart you’re dealing with two different types of off-season. you have the four months off and then you have 3 1/2 months off from when you played your last game. Such a weird off-season that I don’t think you’re seeing as much improvement as you would if they’ve just had a regular off-season

I also think the scheduling doesn’t help because you’re basically playing the same 7 teams all year so the scouting it’s going to be really good. you know these teams like the back of your hand after you face them once or two times regardless of the fact most of the teams are rivals in your normal division.  

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think hart Will be fine. I think the scheduling has screwed with them. Yes stop in March and then have a four month break play for two months I didn’t have a 3 1/2 month break. A young kid I think having structure and normal schedule would help. It’s got to be a shock to his system. it might just be a down year for room and next year do you see him bounce back. 

I think the bigger issue for the Flyers is their defense is not good. niskanen was good last year up until they got to the bubble and a nice addition. They sorely missed and Myers out didn’t help that but I also don’t think their young defensemen have improved enough from what they were last year. You expected the young guys to get better but really kind of like with Carter hart you’re dealing with two different types of off-season. you have the four months off and then you have 3 1/2 months off from when you played your last game. Such a weird off-season that I don’t think you’re seeing as much improvement as you would if they’ve just had a regular off-season

I also think the scheduling doesn’t help because you’re basically playing the same 7 teams all year so the scouting it’s going to be really good. you know these teams like the back of your hand after you face them once or two times regardless of the fact most of the teams are rivals in your normal division.  

Yeah, the routines for loads of players it out of whack.  And playing basically the same teams most of the time is probably more of a hindrance than a help. 

Braun with 2 chances to clear and failed at both (first one was more of a chance).  And Ovi snipes one in for a 2 goal cushion.  So from having a PP with a chance to tie to giving up a goal on the PK and another 2 goal hole to climb out of. 

16 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Yeah, the routines for loads of players it out of whack.  And playing basically the same teams most of the time is probably more of a hindrance than a help. 

I personally think the Flyers aren’t a legitimate contender this year. They might make the playoffs but i don’t think they’d beat Boston and really with how Washington is playing beat them either. To me if the Flyers continue to struggle I’d consider making moves where i attempt to get great value on some of the older veteran guys like JVR who’s having a great year. I’m not sure JVR sustains this level for the next couple years of that contract. If you can get prospects and picks back can just keep adding to our system and clear some space to make a run at some guys in FA. 

again this is only if this slump continues towards the trade deadline. I’m betting they aren’t this bad for the next month but if they are then you have to consider doing it. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I personally think the Flyers aren’t a legitimate contender this year. They might make the playoffs but i don’t think they’d beat Boston and really with how Washington is playing beat them either. To me if the Flyers continue to struggle I’d consider making moves where i attempt to get great value on some of the older veteran guys like JVR who’s having a great year. I’m not sure JVR sustains this level for the next couple years of that contract. If you can get prospects and picks back can just keep adding to our system and clear some space to make a run at some guys in FA. 

again this is only if this slump continues towards the trade deadline. I’m betting they aren’t this bad for the next month but if they are then you have to consider doing it. 

Agree.  If you have a hot commodity other teams who believe they are in contention for The Cup would be willing to at least slightly overpay for then you need to pull the trigger on that.  The odds he plays like this for the remainder of his contract isn't favourable. 

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  If you have a hot commodity other teams who believe they are in contention for The Cup would be willing to at least slightly overpay for then you need to pull the trigger on that.  The odds he plays like this for the remainder of his contract isn't favourable. 

Not only that you’ll get the cap space to go out and improve in areas you need to like the defense. Add on prospects. And you don’t. Have to potentially use one spot to hold him in the expansion draft or not and just lose him for nothing. I’m hoping it doesn’t turn into that but if this continues that’s what they should do 

the defense has to be retooled, i think the younger players just arent good as many have thought, it's hurting us more than helping us.  the d core needs an overhaul. no one is safe.

The Flyers really need to turn this around fast. This could easily get away from then. After tonight they are gonna sit 3 points back of a playoff spot with the same amount of games as Boston. So 31 games remaining. And 6 behind the penguins with 2 games in hand. However they play the Rangers twice then the islanders for 3 who have won 7 straight. You don’t want to find yourself 8-10points behind a playoff spot. You have time to make it up but eventually it might just be too big of a mountain to climb out of. 

12 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This team sucks.  Terrible defense and goaltending all around has sucked any hope out of the fan base.  Typical.  They are not who we thought they were.  Fire someone.  

Not sure firing them coach does anything. They’ve fired lavy, berube and hakstol and yet still have some of the same issues they’ve always had. 

maybe we go extra attacker full time except on PK until the goaltending turns around lol