Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not sure firing them coach does anything. They’ve fired lavy, berube and hakstol and yet still have some of the same issues they’ve always had. 

maybe we go extra attacker full time except on PK until the goaltending turns around lol 

fletch has to start making some trades.

Remember when everyone was saying how good the Flyers were set up for success....that the future was bright....that they were probably the next team to win a championship??  Good times......

8 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Remember when everyone was saying how good the Flyers were set up for success....that the future was bright....that they were probably the next team to win a championship??  Good times......

I still think their future is bright and set up for success. It’s pretty obvious their young guys aren’t ready yet specifically the defensemen and hart aren’t ready yet. The issue is you have veterans like voracek, JVR and Giroux who need to win right now and likely aren’t going to be in their primes when the young guys take those steps up. I think last year the Flyers were ahead of where they should’ve been. 

30 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I still think their future is bright and set up for success. It’s pretty obvious their young guys aren’t ready yet specifically the defensemen and hart aren’t ready yet. The issue is you have veterans like voracek, JVR and Giroux who need to win right now and likely aren’t going to be in their primes when the young guys take those steps up. I think last year the Flyers were ahead of where they should’ve been. 

i think hart standing on his head last year was the reason for their success when the playoffs started, you can see our d problems where coming to light when the goalies were starting to struggle. elliot and hart pretty much masked our d problems. my point is i dont think this d was any better when hak was coaching.

On 3/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Green_Guinness said:

That's more than a fluke.  That's F'ing ridiculous.  Something is wrong there.

Shouldn’t be a surprise, they did the exact same thing in the playoffs last year. 

On 3/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not sure firing them coach does anything. They’ve fired lavy, berube and hakstol and yet still have some of the same issues they’ve always had. 

maybe we go extra attacker full time except on PK until the goaltending turns around lol 

I mean maybe if they had moved on from Giroux and Jake a few years ago like some of us were saying

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

I mean maybe if they had moved on from Giroux and Jake a few years ago like some of us were saying

Yeah the time to trade Giroux was after his 102 point season when the next season they were 6th in the division. you knew they were likely not legitimate cup contenders until the young players developed which was going to take time. Still is. Frankly i think the Flyers overachieved last year when they got the 1 seed. I think habs and islanders showed the Flyers weren’t there yet. They beat Montreal but they struggled to get by that series and really i thought the Flyers were outplayed by the islanders most of the 7 game series. 

The trade wasn’t because Giroux sucked or isn’t good. It was more about being realistic about where you were in the timeline of being a cup contender. the prospects, picks and cap space you would’ve gotten out of the Giroux deal at that time would’ve been nice going forward. Voracek i tend to think once he signed that deal you were probably stuck with him until the end of that contract. 

Andddddd the Flyers being the Flyers. Up 2-0. Down 3-2. Now 3-3. 

Leave it to the Flyers to get called for offsides on a challenge on the potential game winning goal. 

That was an awesome goal by voracek. Felt Like the Rangers had possession of the puck for like the entire overtime til then 

Missed the game but caught the regulation goals on NHL.com (they don't have the OT goal up yet).  That was a helluva shot by Farabee for the PPG.  Good to see G and Jake both score and get some helpers as well.  You need your 'star' players to produce.  Still think they lack stability on D and in goal for now.  Maybe Hart gets back on track next season or possibly even later this season.  Who knows?  The window for G and Jake is shutting so by the time they get sorted out on D (if they do) those 2 will have little time left.  Need to see the younger guys who will be carrying the burden start to show they will be up to task when the transition happens.  Farabee seems to be leading in that regard.  TK has been too inconsistent, Patrick and Lindblom still need more time to get back to full speed and physicality. 

So from the sound of it another typical Flyers game of going up 2 goals then coughing up the lead to fight back in it.  Would be nice to see them go wire to wire vs someone other than BUF.

EDIT:  They just put the goal up.  Good effort by Jake to steal the puck and then the shifty move for the goal.  He was out there for 1:51.  Looked like Pannarin was gassed, too, since he didn't really chase Jake nor catch up to him and Jake wasn't moving on goal quickly.  He went on goal like it was a SO. 

22 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Missed the game but caught the regulation goals on NHL.com (they don't have the OT goal up yet).  That was a helluva shot by Farabee for the PPG.  Good to see G and Jake both score and get some helpers as well.  You need your 'star' players to produce.  Still think they lack stability on D and in goal for now.  Maybe Hart gets back on track next season or possibly even later this season.  Who knows?  The window for G and Jake is shutting so by the time they get sorted out on D (if they do) those 2 will have little time left.  Need to see the younger guys who will be carrying the burden start to show they will be up to task when the transition happens.  Farabee seems to be leading in that regard.  TK has been too inconsistent, Patrick and Lindblom still need more time to get back to full speed and physicality. 

So from the sound of it another typical Flyers game of going up 2 goals then coughing up the lead to fight back in it.  Would be nice to see them go wire to wire vs someone other than BUF.

That in a nutshell is the issue with Giroux, voracek and Flyers.  because you knew it was going to take them more than one or two years to get where they wanted to go with all these young defensemen it was a race against time with voracek and Giroux. By the time the Flyers became a legitimate Stanley Cup contender (which I don’t think they are this year and I think last year’s playoffs proved they weren’t as close as we thought), Giroux and voracek werent going to be the same players anymore. The fact of the matter is is you could’ve traded Giroux after his 102 point season the following year when they weren’t very good and gotten prospects, picks and cap space that would’ve helped you for when all the young guys were ready to make the big jump to being Stanley Cup contenders. 

It was never personal or we hate Giroux, it was the timeline for Giroux and the timeline for the young players to get where you need them to be to be a legitimate cop contender we’re not on the same timeline. Now you’re gonna have to play out to Giroux and voracek’s contracts which Giroux has only one more year and voracek has many more and likely neither are going to be worth the money when the young players get to being legit contenders. That was always the reason to pull the trigger not because he sucked. It was because realistically getting those picks, prospects and the cap space probably would’ve been more beneficial to the flyers rebuild and when they became Stanley Cup contenders as the young players reached their primes and ceilings those things would’ve been on the same timeline. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That in a nutshell is the issue with Giroux, voracek and Flyers.  because you knew it was going to take them more than one or two years to get where they wanted to go with all these young defensemen it was a race against time with voracek and Giroux. By the time the Flyers became a legitimate Stanley Cup contender (which I don’t think they are this year and I think last year’s playoffs proved they weren’t as close as we thought), Giroux and voracek werent going to be the same players anymore. The fact of the matter is is you could’ve traded Giroux after his 102 point season the following year when they weren’t very good and gotten prospects, picks and cap space that would’ve helped you for when all the young guys were ready to make the big jump to being Stanley Cup contenders. 

It was never personal or we hate Giroux, it was the timeline for Giroux and the timeline for the young players to get where you need them to be to be a legitimate cop contender we’re not on the same timeline. Now you’re gonna have to play out to Giroux and voracek’s contracts which Giroux has only one more year and voracek has many more and likely neither are going to be worth the money when the young players get to being legit contenders. That was always the reason to pull the trigger not because he sucked. It was because realistically getting those picks, prospects and the cap space probably would’ve been more beneficial to the flyers rebuild and when they became Stanley Cup contenders as the young players reached their primes and ceilings those things would’ve been on the same timeline. 

Sounds like they have a similar problem to the Eagles. They hold on to guys too long, rather than letting them go before they start to fall off. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Sounds like they have a similar problem to the Eagles. They hold on to guys too long, rather than letting them go before they start to fall off. 

Not so much like the Eagles cause the Eagles just don’t have very much good young talent. The Flyers have a good young talent they just aren’t ready yet to be a true Stanley Cup contender. Defenseman and goalies take more time to get to the level that you need them to get to to be a cup contender. The flyers last year I believe were ahead of where they were supposed to and I think the playoff showed you they weren’t ready yet with those young guys and needed more time. The problem is they didn’t want to give up Claude Giroux because of how much he meant he meant to the organization. Meanwhile it was a tough decision they needed to accept cause it would’ve meant picks, prospects and cap space they likely would’ve all helped for when this team was ready. 

I was saying a couple of months ago that Vigneault is overrated and has peaked with this team. Of course, people rejected that take. I stand by it. Plenty of blame to go around, but he certainly bears responsibility for this kind of underahievement. Losing is one thing, but they get their assess handed to them in waves.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I was saying a couple of months ago that Vigneault is overrated and has peaked with this team. Of course, people rejected that take. I stand by it. Plenty of blame to go around, but he certainly bears responsibility for this kind of underahievement. Losing is one thing, buy they get their assess handed to them in waves.

so it has to be a cup winning coach or bust?

3 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

so it has to be a cup winning coach or bust?

You think this team is performing one notch below cup-winning? Interesting.

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

You think this team is performing one notch below cup-winning? Interesting.

dont go around it just answer the question, you are going to hate every coach hire unless it's a coach that won the cup?

1 minute ago, toughfighter83 said:

dont go around it just answer the question, you are going to hate every coach hire unless it's a coach that won the cup?

No, now explain to me how that's a relevant question.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

No, now explain to me how that's a relevant question.

because you said av is overrated, so explain to me how is anyone else better than him right now? because no one is picking them up.

5 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

because you said av is overrated, so explain to me how is anyone else better than him right now? because no one is picking them up.

Because the team is showing zero heart or motivation. They are completely lost. Like I said, losing is one thing, but this comes in waves: giving up multiple goal leads in a single period, giving up the lead immediately after scoring, looking like f***ing zombies on ice, going through the motions. This team might be overrated, but they have enough talent to not be THIS bad. At what point DO you start questioning the coach? In Philly of all places, this burning desire to insulate AV from any criticism is quite odd, to sat the least.

8 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Because the team is showing zero heart or motivation. They are completely lost. Like I said, losing is one thing, but this comes in waves: giving up multiple goal leads in a single period, giving up the lead immediately after scoring, looking like f***ing zombies on ice, going through the motions. This team might be overrated, but they have enough talent to not be THIS bad. At what point DO you start questioning the coach? In Philly of all places, this burning desire to insulate AV from any criticism is quite odd, to sat the least.

Just saying this has been an issue with the Flyers even before AV. It has been going on win lavy, berube and hakstol. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Remember when they were beating everyone but the Bruins and some of us were criticizing them for looking like ish in those wins.  We said it wasn’t sustainable.   Yeah.  So do I.   This team sucks.  

They really should be looking to get rid of some contracts like jvr who is playing well you could still get good value for. he’s likely not gonna continue that for the life of his contract 

Not even a fan, but I saw the score.....HOLY CRAP. 

Didn't think one NHL Team could score OR give up this many goals in a game.