Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

Patrick with a pen to give the Isles a PP opportunity.  Big kill coming up here.

I hope they hold on but you can kind of feel the momentum all with the Islanders right now and it would be typical flyers this year to blow a three goal lead

I almost replied earlier "3-0 leads are our Kryptonite."

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

There you go. This team is not good.

They CONSISTENTLY  can't put together 3 good periods.  They play either 2 out of 3 or 1 out of 3, but NEVER 3 good full periods.  Don't know how to lock down a game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

They CONSISTENTLY  can't put together 3 good periods.  They play either 2 out of 3 or 1 out of 3, but NEVER 3 good full periods.  Don't know how to lock down a game.

That has been them since the second to last season lavy was here. I’ve complained about that for for nearly a decade now. We’ve gone through four coaches at some point in time it’s not the coaching it’s your players.

• Like 1

Lindblom with the brace!  Can they hold on?

Great work by Lindblom in the end zone.

Whew!  They hung on.  Still, the flaws of this team are on display every night.

11 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That has been them since the second to last season lavy was here. I’ve complained about that for for nearly a decade now. We’ve gone through four coaches at some point in time it’s not the coaching it’s your players.

the two goals were on carter and third goal what was myers and sanheim doing? that pair makes me sick and timms and pronger wouldnt let that happen, i miss those guys.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, Green_Guinness said:

I've been a liquor retail manager for a long time and I can honestly answer yes, they do.  ANY excuse to drink loads of people jump all over it.  I'm just disturbed by the seltzer craze right now. 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

My wife drinks those things.   They are terrible.  I laugh at the young guys who drink them.  

Zima 2.0

• Like 1

I see the Flyers trying to match the 9-0 ass whipping from earlier in the week. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I see the Flyers trying to match the 9-0 ass whipping from earlier in the week. 

this team stinks and you wonder why joel q didnt want to come here.

We should get a veteran and sign him for 8 years and trade Hart. What could possibly go wrong? Hart wins 2 vezinas on another team? Psh. Would never happen

First things first, where are you getting a goalie? Trade deadline? Gonna give up assets for a goalie that isn't going to make much of a difference? Second, any goalie we brought in wouldn't save the season. Look at how this team plays defense. You can't sign a goalie long term, because what do you do with Hart? How quickly we forget he's basically the reason we went to game 7 of the second round in the bubble.

Point is, Niskanen Fed them by retiring out of the blue, fletcher Fed them by thinking Gus was a good replacement, and every single young player has regressed except farabee. One goalie is not going to save this team. One top 4 defenseman is not going to save this team. If anything, they need to sell at the deadline. If they can get something for JvR, do it. No one will buy ghost if AV never plays him, but if someone offers do that too.

You can talk about hart's down year til your blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact that 1) some games this team just can't score and 2) the team defense is absolutely atrocious. Tonight, based on the highlights i saw, Hart gave up what one can reasonably say were 2 soft goals. There were 3 that were virtually unstoppable. 1 you'd like to have saved but not soft. Hung out to dry multiple times. And that's every game. Hart is having a bad year, but even if this were last year NYI still would have scored at least 3 tonight. 

1 hour ago, devpool said:

We should get a veteran and sign him for 8 years and trade Hart. What could possibly go wrong? Hart wins 2 vezinas on another team? Psh. Would never happen

First things first, where are you getting a goalie? Trade deadline? Gonna give up assets for a goalie that isn't going to make much of a difference? Second, any goalie we brought in wouldn't save the season. Look at how this team plays defense. You can't sign a goalie long term, because what do you do with Hart? How quickly we forget he's basically the reason we went to game 7 of the second round in the bubble.

Point is, Niskanen Fed them by retiring out of the blue, fletcher Fed them by thinking Gus was a good replacement, and every single young player has regressed except farabee. One goalie is not going to save this team. One top 4 defenseman is not going to save this team. If anything, they need to sell at the deadline. If they can get something for JvR, do it. No one will buy ghost if AV never plays him, but if someone offers do that too.

You can talk about hart's down year til your blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact that 1) some games this team just can't score and 2) the team defense is absolutely atrocious. Tonight, based on the highlights i saw, Hart gave up what one can reasonably say were 2 soft goals. There were 3 that were virtually unstoppable. 1 you'd like to have saved but not soft. Hung out to dry multiple times. And that's every game. Hart is having a bad year, but even if this were last year NYI still would have scored at least 3 tonight. 

That is what i referenced last week. They aren’t close as we thought to being legit contenders. Young guys are just not there. I’d deal JVR cause the odds he plays this well the next couple years of his contract are unlikely. I’d also look to see if anyone would trade for Giroux and voracek. Giroux has one year left after this year. Not sure the Flyers are going to be legit contenders next year so get some value for him before his contract runs out and you likely move on. Voracek I’d just trade because i believe by the time the Flyers do become legit contenders he won’t be the same player. Maximize his value. To me I’d try dealing all three and ghost to clear cap, get some picks and prospects. The cap cleared would really be beneficial to the Flyers when the young guys are ready and you can infuse some more talent. The prospects/picks could help in a future trade as well. 

this isn’t Giroux sucks or voracek stinks this is being smart about capitalizing on their value that will benefit you more on your future then what they probably are going to do on your team the next couple seasons. Plus gives Giroux a legit chance at winning a cup before he’s out of his prime. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That is what i referenced last week. They aren’t close as we thought to being legit contenders. Young guys are just not there. I’d deal JVR cause the odds he plays this well the next couple years of his contract are unlikely. I’d also look to see if anyone would trade for Giroux and voracek. Giroux has one year left after this year. Not sure the Flyers are going to be legit contenders next year so get some value for him before his contract runs out and you likely move on. Voracek I’d just trade because i believe by the time the Flyers do become legit contenders he won’t be the same player. Maximize his value. To me I’d try dealing all three and ghost to clear cap, get some picks and prospects. The cap cleared would really be beneficial to the Flyers when the young guys are ready and you can infuse some more talent. The prospects/picks could help in a future trade as well. 

this isn’t Giroux sucks or voracek stinks this is being smart about capitalizing on their value that will benefit you more on your future then what they probably are going to do on your team the next couple seasons. Plus gives Giroux a legit chance at winning a cup before he’s out of his prime. 

They could compete next year if every player struggling now returns to the level they played at last year, plus an added top 4 defenseman. Trading giroux now, sure. Couple years ago would have been a terrible idea. No one would watch this team if they traded him back then when we had nobody worth watching, and at the end of a day they still need people to go to games. 

I don't think they would trade all 3 this deadline though. I would imagine they at least try to trade JvR at this deadline, expose voracek to Seattle, and trade g before next season (or at next season's deadline) when he only has a year left on his contract. A week ago it was lookin like they might be able to unload ghost too, but now pretty unlikely. 

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

when i look at this team they lack so much confidence, not because of the coach, more to do with fact that they dont have confidence in the leadership of giroux and jake like they play hard when they score a goal but when they are down a goal everything goes downhill fast like they know wont come back because they know the leadership wont step up actually i have seen that last year as well, difference was hart was standing on his head.

i swear if the sid the kid and ovi was here,  it would a different team because they have the confidence that they will step up and give them goals. the fact that the young players are ones scoring more goals than the leadership group, that's a huge problem.

i said this when they hired av, there's no more coaching excuses, it's on the leadership to step up, if not, they have to go.

4 hours ago, devpool said:

They could compete next year if every player struggling now returns to the level they played at last year, plus an added top 4 defenseman. Trading giroux now, sure. Couple years ago would have been a terrible idea. No one would watch this team if they traded him back then when we had nobody worth watching, and at the end of a day they still need people to go to games. 

I don't think they would trade all 3 this deadline though. I would imagine they at least try to trade JvR at this deadline, expose voracek to Seattle, and trade g before next season (or at next season's deadline) when he only has a year left on his contract. A week ago it was lookin like they might be able to unload ghost too, but now pretty unlikely. 

They could but I’m guessing they still wouldn’t be legitimate cup contenders. Playoff contenders for sure. I just don’t think last year after the playoffs that they were ready. I thought they were super fortunate to get to a game seven against the islanders. Even against Montreal it was a struggle to get out of that series. They survived some overtime games in the islanders series to get there so credit to them. But i thought the islanders most of that series was taking it to the Flyers. 

I would’ve traded him the year after he had that huge 102 point season when they returned to playing like a mediocre to below average team. I don’t care if people are going to watch the team. Nobody watches the team besides diehard fans during a rebuild on any sport that’s the reality of any sports franchise

The 76ers when they went through the process the only people watching the team were diehards. Everyone jump back in on the bandwagon as soon as Embiid and Simmons got there. They are doing pretty well now and making bank cause of it 

go to the Phillies nobody watch that team besides diehards after 2014 during the "rebuild” (they did a bad job rebuilding) until they got Bryce Harper and Jt Realmuto. this upcoming eagle season the diehard fans will continue to watch because they are diehard fans. The casual fan will say you know what this team sucks I’m gonna watch something on Sunday ticket or the red zone channel or find something else to do because that’s what the casual fan always does. But I will bet you with the Eagles get themselves out of this mess in two years all those casual fans are going to come back and the diehard fans aren’t going to leave.

sometimes the Longview is the best view. Instead of in the moment you want to keep those fans in the stands Where could wind up backfiring as you didn’t get the maximize value you could have which would’ve been beneficial to your young core in the future.

The NHL is what it is but the Comcast group that owns the flyers could withstand a rebuild where they dealt Giroux that year and come out on the other side with more prospects, picks and cap space so when the young guys were ready they get them all back. Go look at the last eight years of this franchise it’s been the same thing that’s happened. One good year, one down year one good year, one down year. They might not have been cup contenders for much of that time but they should’ve at least made the playoffs in back to back years they had that type of talent. And they haven’t done it since 2011-2012. They understood they needed to add young players and do a rebuild on the fly when They tried to win while rebuilding and really the results on the ice(better prospects then they’ve had) have been similar where it’s been one good year then followed by a down year. When that is an 8 year thing that’s called a trend. They have young guys who aren’t ready to be what they need to be a true cup contender. It takes time. The issue is Giroux and voracek didn’t have as much time left as it would take for those young guys to eventually get there and become true cup contenders. That was the unfortunate reality the flyers did not want to deal with. It sucked but the timeline for Giroux and voracek was not the same timeline it was going to take you with young guys to get to the point where you were a legitimate cup contender

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They could but I’m guessing they still wouldn’t be legitimate cup contenders. Playoff contenders for sure. I just don’t think last year after the playoffs that they were ready. I thought they were super fortunate to get to a game seven against the islanders. Even against Montreal it was a struggle to get out of that series. They survived some overtime games in the islanders series to get there so credit to them. But i thought the islanders most of that series was taking it to the Flyers. 

I would’ve traded him the year after he had that huge 102 point season when they returned to playing like a mediocre to below average team. I don’t care if people are going to watch the team. Nobody watches the team besides diehard fans during a rebuild on any sport that’s the reality of any sports franchise

The 76ers when they went through the process the only people watching the team were diehards. Everyone jump back in on the bandwagon as soon as Embiid and Simmons got there. They are doing pretty well now and making bank cause of it 

go to the Phillies nobody watch that team besides diehards after 2014 during the "rebuild” (they did a bad job rebuilding) until they got Bryce Harper and Jt Realmuto. this upcoming eagle season the diehard fans will continue to watch because they are diehard fans. The casual fan will say you know what this team sucks I’m gonna watch something on Sunday ticket or the red zone channel or find something else to do because that’s what the casual fan always does. But I will bet you with the Eagles get themselves out of this mess in two years all those casual fans are going to come back and the diehard fans aren’t going to leave.

sometimes the Longview is the best view. Instead of in the moment you want to keep those fans in the stands Where could wind up backfiring as you didn’t get the maximize value you could have which would’ve been beneficial to your young core in the future.

The NHL is what it is but the Comcast group that owns the flyers could withstand a rebuild where they dealt Giroux that year and come out on the other side with more prospects, picks and cap space so when the young guys were ready they get them all back. Go look at the last eight years of this franchise it’s been the same thing that’s happened. One good year, one down year one good year, one down year. They might not have been cup contenders for much of that time but they should’ve at least made the playoffs in back to back years they had that type of talent. And they haven’t done it since 2011-2012. They understood they needed to add young players and do a rebuild on the fly when They tried to win while rebuilding and really the results on the ice(better prospects then they’ve had) have been similar where it’s been one good year then followed by a down year. When that is an 8 year thing that’s called a trend. They have young guys who aren’t ready to be what they need to be a true cup contender. It takes time. The issue is Giroux and voracek didn’t have as much time left as it would take for those young guys to eventually get there and become true cup contenders. That was the unfortunate reality the flyers did not want to deal with. It sucked but the timeline for Giroux and voracek was not the same timeline it was going to take you with young guys to get to the point where you were a legitimate cup contender

that's right, after watching last year's playoffs, this team wasnt going anywhere, i think management knew it, they didnt make moves so they can evaluate the roster and see what's salvageable and what isnt, this is a rebuilding year. av haters are in serious denial and think this cup contending roster which it isnt because they believe that hextall struck gold with those picks which isnt the case. this team needs more young proven talent with young players like johnny g, laine, maybe eichel just throwing it out there.

after this season, i think there's going to be alot of moves made and try to rebuild this roster without tanking since this year's draft isnt very good and lottery is rigged. they are young pieces on the block and we have assets do it so i think it can be done. moving contracts is going to be a challenge but it will be interesting on what happens in the offseason.

9 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

that's right, after watching last year's playoffs, this team wasnt going anywhere, i think management knew it, they didnt make moves so they can evaluate the roster and see what's salvageable and what isnt, this is a rebuilding year. av haters are in serious denial and think this cup contending roster which it isnt because they believe that hextall struck gold with those picks which isnt the case. this team needs more young proven talent with young players like johnny g, laine, maybe eichel just throwing it out there.

after this season, i think there's going to be alot of moves made and try to rebuild this roster without tanking since this year's draft isnt very good and lottery is rigged. they are young pieces on the block and we have assets do it so i think it can be done. moving contracts is going to be a challenge but it will be interesting on what happens in the offseason.

My biggest issue with a lot of Flyers fans is they just want to fire the coach. This is now the fourth coach we’ve had and we have some of the same issues we’ve always had for basically the last eight years. there is a trend. playoff team then regress. playoff team then regress. It’s been the pattern and they don’t always play 60 minutes. way too often they are playing two out of the three periods or they just don’t show up until the third period. This has been a constant problem since the second to last year lavy he was here.

So we can keep firing coaches but in reality this is on the players you have and the leadership of those players. There is no reason in the flyers could’ve made back to back playoffs in eight years. You can say they might not have the talent to be a Stanley cup contender but they should’ve made the playoffs some of those years where they just regressed. 

To me I think you can get a trade for JVR at the deadline. He’s playing very well and some team who is a cup contender Will take him on with those last two years of his contract to get the type of output he is giving right now. I also think you could trade Giroux this year or offseason. He only has one year left on that contract after the year. So whoever takes him know they’re only getting up for 1-1.5 years depending on when he’s dealt, he is still good enough to play on the top two lines and give you a very solid production that helps you in a Stanley Cup run. The one I don’t think they could trade or move is probably Voracek unless they’re willing to eat some of the money or take lesser prospects back. 

I disagree that Fletcher thought this was a rebuild year. I think they believe the young players would elevate to another level after that run and they could withstand losing Niskanen and I don’t think they thought Carter hart would have the down year he’s having. I think they believe they could be a Stanley Cup contender. The only issue is the young guys aren’t ready and it’s showing and it showed in the playoffs last year. The Flyers timeline was moved up because of how good they played for like a month and a half last year. However the playoffs were disappointing not cause they didn’t make a cup final but because they were dominated most of the islanders series where they survived to get 3 wins and Montreal exposed them prior to that series 

• Like 1