Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hextall and the penguins acquired Jeff Carter 

Carter is pretty much cooked and carries a $5m cap hit next season. Strange move.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Carter is pretty much cooked and carries a $5m cap hit next season. Strange move.

Wondering if hextall tries to use him somehow in the expansion draft. Seattle needs to get to the cap floor and a 1 year $5 mil deal helps that. 

Been saying since the start of last season that I’m nowhere near sold on Hart ever becoming this lockdown, franchise goaltender that he’s been touted. Yes he’s still young, I get it, but it’s starting to look more and more like this team is STILL going to be looking for their goalie in a couple years. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Been saying since the start of last season that I’m nowhere near sold on Hart ever becoming this lockdown, franchise goaltender that he’s been touted. Yes he’s still young, I get it, but it’s starting to look more and more like this team is STILL going to be looking for their goalie in a couple years. 

worse case we will have to go with a bridge goalie and hopefully Sandström will be that guy in a few years, we just cant rush these young goalies. it was mistake to rush hart especially for his age.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Don’t disagree that may not happen. However I’m vastly disappointed in the growth of our defensemen. i think the Flyers expected provy would eventually blossom into a no. 1 defenseman. He hasn’t. He’s a no. 2 that needs a no. 1. I don’t think he ever makes the leap which is fine cause he’s a good no. 2 but you don’t. Have that no. 1 to pair with him. It’s why some of us wanted them to go all in on pietrangelo. I dont think sanheim has performed up to the expectations and he might also be good just not as great as they thought. Ditto with myers. Hart has his issues and he might never be that however until we actually get a defense that’s good in front of him it’s hard to tell if it’s just him or our defense hasn’t lived up to their hype either. Like since the Habs series last year it’s continuously they can’t pass the puck out of their zone and have massive issues getting out of their own zone 

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, we really showed them. Voracek and Coots hasn't won ish and Carter went on to win two Cups.   :wacko:

Carter won cups as a role player, though. Coots and Voracek are good players, but they were never the kind of high-end goal scorers that you need to anchor a top line on a cup-contending team. I don't think the problem has been their level of performance so much as it has been an abject failure by the FO to build around them.

I really thought last year was finally the turning point for this team and its future.  I got sucked in again.  Back to being a year away from being a year away.  Good times!

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, we really showed them. Voracek and Coots hasn't won ish and Carter went on to win two Cups.   :wacko:

Kevin Lowe won 6 Cups and he was never a good player for one day in the NHL.  I’d rather have one day of Voracek and Couturier than 10 years of Jeff Carter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Laughton extension just tells me that Fletch & Co. are of the "we're just a hair off" mentality. :facepalm:

This team is full of overrated players.

TK - overrated

Provorov - overrated

Sanhiem - overrated

Myers - overrrated

Patrick - one of the worst #2 picks possible

Lindblom - can't blame him but he doesn't have it

Hart - most overrated player on the team

We are 2 defensemen, 3 forwards and a goalie away from being able to just get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khani1 said:

This team is full of overrated players.

TK - overrated

Provorov - overrated

Sanhiem - overrated

Myers - overrrated

Patrick - one of the worst #2 picks possible

Lindblom - can't blame him but he doesn't have it

Hart - most overrated player on the team

We are 2 defensemen, 3 forwards and a goalie away from being able to just get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Have said this before the Flyers and the diehards overrate a lot of their prospects and players. That doesn’t mean they suck or bad just they aren’t as great as they envision or think they are automatically going to be. For instances provy. I think he’s a good defenseman. He’s a top pairing he’s just not a no. 1 defenseman. Meanwhile Flyers fans and the organization just believes cause he was good so far that t means he automatically is going to make the jump to being a no. 1 defenseman. Last offseason we talked about they need a no. 1 defenseman to go with provy. Say the Flyers got someone like pietrangelo’s ability and skills to go with provy that pairing is one of the better ones in the nhl. As good as provy has been so far in his career he’s overrated cause they keep thinking he’s a true no. 1 elite defenseman.

Sanheim and myers i think are not ready to be counted on as much as they are this early. Hextall may have been spot on saying they weren’t ready and the Flyers didn’t want to hear it. There were always going to be ups and downs but so far they aren’t living up to the lofty expectations fans and this organization placed upon them.

patrick seems like a bust. I get returning from injury but i never thought he was as special as people seemed to be prior to that. Lindbolm with the cancer is tough to judge. That can really change an entire career and take multiple years to just fully come back from. 

As for hart, i think hextall was completely correct in saying he wasn’t ready yet. He was good last year but this year collapsed. Tells me he might not have been ready for the grind yet of the nhl. It really doesn’t help the defense sucks and can’t get pucks out. He’s been bad he looks even worse cause of the defense. To me he might never be the Bernie parent people were stating he’d be but i do think it’s too early to say he’s a bust or give up. I’m betting he plays better next year if the defense is just average. 

but i tend to agree. There’s a bunch of overrated players on this team and the organization a decade ago made a decision to trade Richards and Carter cause they didn’t see the future being brighter with them. At some point as much as you love voracek, Giroux and guys like that you need to move on cause it’s not working.

problem i have is i wasn’t a huge fan of fletcher when we replaced hextall. I still don’t think he’s that great of a GM. 

• Like 3

G has one year left on his contract and an NMC. He's not going anywhere, so it's moot. Voracek is an asset with some trade potential, but it doesn't bother me if he plays out the last 2 years of that contract here. These problems need to be solved from the top down.

#firefletch

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Have said this before the Flyers and the diehards overrate a lot of their prospects and players. That doesn’t mean they suck or bad just they aren’t as great as they envision or think they are automatically going to be. For instances provy. I think he’s a good defenseman. He’s a top pairing he’s just not a no. 1 defenseman. Meanwhile Flyers fans and the organization just believes cause he was good so far that t means he automatically is going to make the jump to being a no. 1 defenseman. Last offseason we talked about they need a no. 1 defenseman to go with provy. Say the Flyers got someone like pietrangelo’s ability and skills to go with provy that pairing is one of the better ones in the nhl. As good as provy has been so far in his career he’s overrated cause they keep thinking he’s a true no. 1 elite defenseman.

Sanheim and myers i think are not ready to be counted on as much as they are this early. Hextall may have been spot on saying they weren’t ready and the Flyers didn’t want to hear it. There were always going to be ups and downs but so far they aren’t living up to the lofty expectations fans and this organization placed upon them.

patrick seems like a bust. I get returning from injury but i never thought he was as special as people seemed to be prior to that. Lindbolm with the cancer is tough to judge. That can really change an entire career and take multiple years to just fully come back from. 

As for hart, i think hextall was completely correct in saying he wasn’t ready yet. He was good last year but this year collapsed. Tells me he might not have been ready for the grind yet of the nhl. It really doesn’t help the defense sucks and can’t get pucks out. He’s been bad he looks even worse cause of the defense. To me he might never be the Bernie parent people were stating he’d be but i do think it’s too early to say he’s a bust or give up. I’m betting he plays better next year if the defense is just average. 

but i tend to agree. There’s a bunch of overrated players on this team and the organization a decade ago made a decision to trade Richards and Carter cause they didn’t see the future being brighter with them. At some point as much as you love voracek, Giroux and guys like that you need to move on cause it’s not working.

problem i have is i wasn’t a huge fan of fletcher when we replaced hextall. I still don’t think he’s that great of a GM. 

let's say fletch does move alot of players this summer,  what players would you like see fletch get?

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Most of them were rated higher than their output by people other than Flyer fans.

I'd argue it was the opposite.  Most die hard Flyers fans (the ones who only follow hockey mostly and say other sports are inferior) overrate their own players more than anyone.  They also think each year regardless of what happens in the off-season or how poor the Flyers were the year before, that the Flyers will be contenders for the upcoming season.

Though I agree, most players must have been underdeveloped.  You can't have a bust rate this high on prospects...

1.  Morin

2.  Ghost

3.  Frost (not a bust yet but he was suppose to be contributing to the team by now)

4.  NAK

5.  Patrick

Sanheim, Myers, and TK have all regressed.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

A lot of outside pundits had the Flyers contending this year.  Not just Flyers fans.  Seriously I think this team just quit.  They need a shake up in the worst way.  

Not having Niskanen probably cost this team 6-8 wins so far this year.  The defense would have been much better.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

(I despise Hockey nicknames, but I have no idea how to spell Coots real last name).

I have this same problem all the time and I think Coots is such a horrible nickname but I have to type that out also because the spelling is hard to remember.

Yeah, "G" has been leaking oil for a few years.  We need a ton more speed, at least 1 hopefully 2 guys who are willing shooters/scorers, a couple guys on defense and hope that Hart pans out in a year or two.

I think its time to use Sanhiem/Myers in trade package for a scorer who is 25 or younger.  Hopefully they still have enough value to do that after this year.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When I lived in the DC area, we were forced to watch a lot of Caps games.  A lot of my drunking buddies were Caps fans.  I was subjected to Craig Laughlin.  The dude used the dumb hockey nickname for each Cap's player.  And his voice made it worse.  The dumbest was Petr Bondra........he called him Bonsai.  

Hockey nicknames are the worst..

Giroux - Passy

Vorachek - Sucksy

Hart - Savesy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

I have this same problem all the time and I think Coots is such a horrible nickname but I have to type that out also because the spelling is hard to remember.

Yeah, "G" has been leaking oil for a few years.  We need a ton more speed, at least 1 hopefully 2 guys who are willing shooters/scorers, a couple guys on defense and hope that Hart pans out in a year or two.

I think its time to use Sanhiem/Myers in trade package for a scorer who is 25 or younger.  Hopefully they still have enough value to do that after this year.

johnny hockey, laine, eichel?

1 minute ago, toughfighter83 said:

johnny hockey, laine, eichel?

JG will be 28 in a few months so he is a little too old.  The other two, 100% but not sure what else we would have to attach to one of Sanheim/Myers to make that trade work.  Probably quite a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

JG will be 28 in a few months so he is a little too old.  The other two, 100% but not sure what else we would have to attach to one of Sanheim/Myers to make that trade work.  Probably quite a bit more.

fair enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

G has one year left on his contract and an NMC. He's not going anywhere, so it's moot. Voracek is an asset with some trade potential, but it doesn't bother me if he plays out the last 2 years of that contract here. These problems need to be solved from the top down.

#firefletch

Actually think Giroux with a year left makes more sense for a team to trade for him given the currently landscape of the NHL. However i think the bigger issue is he has a NTC and i doubt he wants to leave with another kid on the way. As for voracek his contract prevents him from being traded. He still has 3 years left after this year and will be 32. No one is taking that contract on unless you eat some of it. 

3 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

let's say fletch does move alot of players this summer,  what players would you like see fletch get?

idk who’s available via trade market or looked at FA yet. I thought last offseason they should’ve tried to unload some contracts and go all in for pietrangelo cause he would’ve solidified your defense. Even if you didn’t get him you cleared cap space to potentially make a big move to acquire or add a big time player. I also thought the year after g had 102 points and the team regressed is when they should’ve made tough decisions and dealt some guys and accepted this core wasn’t going to be good enough to win and deal guys  

i don’t think they move a lot of players. I think they likely think they’ll bounce back next year. History of the last decade tends to show they’ll be a playoff team next year but the following year they’ll regress again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As for voracek his contract prevents him from being traded. He still has 3 years left after this year and will be 32. No one is taking that contract on unless you eat some of it.

Good call, I thought it was two. That contract does look like a bear, but the price tag seems a little less dramatic with each passing year. He's kind of rebounded this year. If he can stay on the upswing next season, they might be able to move him.

9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Good call, I thought it was two. That contract does look like a bear, but the price tag seems a little less dramatic with each passing year. He's kind of rebounded this year. If he can stay on the upswing next season, they might be able to move him.

I think they could definitely move him but you likely are going to have to retain some of the contract and not likely get the pool of picks/prospects you’d imagine back. Not sure the Flyers would be willing to retain some of the money because i imagine they’d want the cap space. The issue also is voracek if declines with each passing year then by the time it gets to just 1 year he might not be worth that contract even if it would be a rental. I actually think JVR with 2 years left coming off the season he’s having has value to someone who needs goal scoring thats on the fringe of a cup. However I’m betting he’s unprotected during the expansion draft. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers try to get seattle to take him by offering a pick to do so. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think they could definitely move him but you likely are going to have to retain some of the contract and not likely get the pool of picks/prospects you’d imagine back. Not sure the Flyers would be willing to retain some of the money because i imagine they’d want the cap space. The issue also is voracek if declines with each passing year then by the time it gets to just 1 year he might not be worth that contract even if it would be a rental. I actually think JVR with 2 years left coming off the season he’s having has value to someone who needs goal scoring thats on the fringe of a cup. However I’m betting he’s unprotected during the expansion draft. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Flyers try to get seattle to take him by offering a pick to do so. 

i cant blame fletch for this because when hextall was gm we had the cap space 2018 and ror and dougie was available and i wanted hextall to get these guys instead he didnt and blew money on jvr which was a mind blogging move because we needed a second line center and another defenseman and that really hurt us and didnt fire hak when trotz was available like nothing against av but he had a chance to get this team a ring when everything was there and for some reason he sat on it which costed his job and fletch had to clean his mess up.

if hextall made those moves this team would probably be better right now and fletch wouldnt have to get hayes and nisky and nothing against those players either and probably be in a better cap situation too and hextall would have kept his job. Plus maybe championship with it.