Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

Gostisbehere gets suspended 2 games for a cross check delivered in frustration after an empty net goal, as a player with no disciplinary history in a 5-year career ..... while Tom Wilson gets nothing for punching one defenseless player laying on the ice, attacks another who doesn’t want to fight, and agitates the opponents’ bench resulting in a carryover to the rematch resulting in 7 fights from a guy with a lengthy record of cheap play

Keep being the NHL, NHL 

• Like 3

We did it! We won a meaningless game 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

We did it! We won a meaningless game 

14th pick here we come!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

14th pick here we come!

Not only did they miss the playoffs gonna wind up with the 3rd worst pick in the lottery (rags and stars finished more points and missed the playoffs)

spacer.png

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!  I wouldn't protect one person.  Not one player or coach is hands off.  

I wouldn't just clean the house, I'd burn it to the ground.

Same old story with this team. If you don't have consistent, long term greatness in goal, you're building nothing. A superstar goalie is priority #1 IMO. Until they get that taken care of, the rest is just window dressing. It's time to sell, sell, sell, and then, trust the process.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Same old story with this team. If you don't have consistent, long term greatness in goal, you're building nothing. A superstar goalie is priority #1 IMO. Until they get that taken care of, the rest is just window dressing. It's time to sell, sell, sell, and then, trust the process.

When is the next generational D prospect coming?  Trade whatever you need to in order to go up and get him.

When the Flyers had Howe and McCrimmon they were a perennial contender.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:19 AM, PoconoDon said:

trust the process doesnt work in the nhl, do you watch the oilers, sabres,  it's not that easy to just tank,  it's not like nba where you get multiple first round picks and you have a better chance of landing a first overall pick plus the draft class has to be studs not jvr and patrick type of players. plus you have 19 players in nhl vs 5 players in the nba. one player wont change anything, you need more than that.

Nolan Patrick just hired his 3rd agent in 3 years and may ask for a trade. What a stiff. Not even sure what the Flyers could get for him. 3rd rounder maybe?

2 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

trust the process doesnt work in the nhl, do you watch the oilers, sabres,  it's not that easy to just tank,  it's not like nba where you get multiple first round picks and you have a better chance of landing a first overall pick plus the draft class has to be studs not jvr and patrick type of players. plus you have 19 players in nhl vs 5 players in the nba. one player wont change anything, you need more than that.

I understand, and I know that the draft rules are periodically changing. My point is that this Flyers team has a huge problem with goals against, and I think their focus for building a great team should start there.

Case in point, the Oilers have had 4(!!!) #1 overall picks in the last 10 years, as well as an additional 2 top-5 picks, as well as an additional top-10 picks.  They should be winning cups like the did with Gretzky and Messier.

They need to fix the defense first and foremost. Hagg and Braun should never see the ice again. The most important priority this offseason is bringing in a bonafide #1 defensemen.

#1 defensemen, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, York and Ghost would be a very solid unit. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Case in point, the Oilers have had 4(!!!) #1 overall picks in the last 10 years, as well as an additional 2 top-5 picks, as well as an additional top-10 picks.  They should be winning cups like the did with Gretzky and Messier.

every draft class is different, they werent franchise changing players they drafted accept for mcdavid, that's the point im trying to make, not every class going to produce those players. like this year's draft class is really bad, there's no franchising players. that's why im saying drafting is a crap shoot, you will be stuck 15 to 20 years trying to rebuild a team thru the draft. there's too many players. you have to trade for them or sign them.

every draft class is different, they werent franchise changing players they drafted accept for mcdavid, that's the point im trying to make, not every class going to produce those players. like this year's draft class is really bad, there's no franchising players. that's why im saying drafting is a crap shoot, you will be stuck 15 to 20 years trying to rebuild a team thru the draft. there's too many players. you have to trade for them or sign them.

The "process" can include trades. The desired result shouldn't be to build a contender. It should be to build a team that everyone else subconsciously surrenders to before you even play. It's to build the very best team by far. That requires the best eye for talent in the business, the resources to go get that talent, and coaching that consistently brings out the best in those players. None of the 4 teams are there right now, but their greatest deficiencies are visible to all who look. They could at least start trying to solve those first and that includes the Flyers' ineptitude in goal and on defense in general. JMO.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, vsptroops said:

Nolan Patrick just hired his 3rd agent in 3 years and may ask for a trade. What a stiff. Not even sure what the Flyers could get for him. 3rd rounder maybe?

I don't think they would get anything substantial for him. They would probably try to spin the "2nd overall pick" deal but at no point has he ever looked the part even before the migraines. Now you have to worry about "are the migraines gone or will they come back and take him out for another season?" If someone offered a 3rd I really think they would, and should, take it. At this rate his ceiling looks like 3rd line center and we have enough bottom sixers in the org.

Really typical that the year we get #2 overall we get a guy who never looked like a cornerstone player, again. I liked JvR when he was first here and think he was shipped out far too early, but even in Toronto he was never a guy I would draft 2nd overall. It would be hilarious if the flyers won the lottery this year, when half the junior leagues didn't even play and evaluation was likely a nightmare.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:53 AM, Blazehound said:

They need to fix the defense first and foremost. Hagg and Braun should never see the ice again. The most important priority this offseason is bringing in a bonafide #1 defensemen.

#1 defensemen, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, York and Ghost would be a very solid unit. 

I don't think braun was that bad post covid break. He wasn't ideal for the minutes and situations he was forced to play but honestly as a 3rd pair guy he wouldn't be terrible to pair up with York next season. I assume they'll try to move ghost this offseason

Reportedly bringing back Vigneault. Yay...

12 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Reportedly bringing back Vigneault. Yay...

He is not the problem

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

He is not the problem

He's also not part of the solution, but ownership is the ultimate problem.

• Like 2

I don't mind AV coming back for 1 more year. I'm more concerned that Yeo and Therrien are coming back. Their special teams were an abomination. This team should have just gone on a full rebuild when Hextall took over.  Now the team seems to be stuck in purgatory which is the worst place to be. 

3 hours ago, devpool said:

I don't think they would get anything substantial for him. They would probably try to spin the "2nd overall pick" deal but at no point has he ever looked the part even before the migraines. Now you have to worry about "are the migraines gone or will they come back and take him out for another season?" If someone offered a 3rd I really think they would, and should, take it. At this rate his ceiling looks like 3rd line center and we have enough bottom sixers in the org.

Really typical that the year we get #2 overall we get a guy who never looked like a cornerstone player, again. I liked JvR when he was first here and think he was shipped out far too early, but even in Toronto he was never a guy I would draft 2nd overall. It would be hilarious if the flyers won the lottery this year, when half the junior leagues didn't even play and evaluation was likely a nightmare.

Yeah that draft was not a good one to have a top pick. If I could get a 3rd round pick for Patrick, I would do it in a heartbeat.  I agree, he hasn't shown anything close to being worth the 2nd overall pick. Hell, I would say Lindblom showed a lot more coming back from cancer. 

• Like 1

On the one hand, it's unbelievable that a guy like Patrick would request a trade, given that he's shown next to nothing and the team has stood by him. On the other hand, it really sheds a light on just how bad this situation is. Literally no one wants to play for this team. It goes all the way to the top. Comcast doesn't know wtf it's doing, and they're too proud to read the writing on the wall that they don't know the first thing about managing an NHL franchise. This is going to get worse―much, much worse―before it gets better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

On the one hand, it's unbelievable that a guy like Patrick would request a trade, given that he's shown next to nothing and the team has stood by him. On the other hand, it really sheds a light on just how bad this situation is. Literally no one wants to play for this team. It goes all the way to the top. Comcast doesn't know wtf it's doing, and they're too proud to read the writing on the wall that they don't know the first thing about managing an NHL franchise. This is going to get worse―much, much worse―before it gets better.

I would love to know where you got this from, because one single player has not asked for a trade but some insider is saying he COULD ask for a trade. No one in the org has said anything about wanting out. Just curious where you picked this information out of.

47 minutes ago, devpool said:

I would love to know where you got this from, because one single player has not asked for a trade but some insider is saying he COULD ask for a trade. No one in the org has said anything about wanting out. Just curious where you picked this information out of.

I'm not picking information out, just going with my gut instinct. They're all pretty professional, so no one has said anything. but I think Patrick's trade request speaks volumes.