Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

7 minutes ago, devpool said:

Starts this season. He could realistically play but I don't think he will

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'd take Hextall back in a second.  He built a weak farm system back up.  Coaching and development at both levels has been an issue.  But he got the players.  At one point we had one of the strongest farm systems in hockey because of him.  It's almost like the Phillies.  Good young players coming up in the system.  They get to the big leagues and fizzle out.  

Agree. Would have liked to have seen him get at least another year or two. It takes time to rebuild talent the way he did. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Agree. Would have liked to have seen him get at least another year or two. It takes time to rebuild talent the way he did. 

Hitching himself to hakstol was his biggest mistake.

• Like 3

LOL

Could have been 2 losses to one of the worst Professional Sports teams out there.

When they lose, man do they lose. Or so it seems. 

Brutal.

Should really give the Flyers franchise a dose of reality about where exactly they are 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'd take Hextall back in a second.  He built a weak farm system back up.  Coaching and development at both levels has been an issue.  But he got the players.  At one point we had one of the strongest farm systems in hockey because of him.

This. At least he made the team competitive!

I never liked the Fletcher hiring. I was able to accept moving on from Hextall but thought that Fletcher was a weak follow-up. Too bad the old boards aren't here to reflect back...

27 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

This. At least he made the team competitive!

I never liked the Fletcher hiring. I was able to accept moving on from Hextall but thought that Fletcher was a weak follow-up. Too bad the old boards aren't here to reflect back...

It's amazing to me just how many missteps one organization can have in 40+ years. They just can't get it right. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'd take Hextall back in a second.  He built a weak farm system back up.  Coaching and development at both levels has been an issue.  But he got the players.  At one point we had one of the strongest farm systems in hockey because of him.  It's almost like the Phillies.  Good young players coming up in the system.  They get to the big leagues and fizzle out.  

Besides wanting to keep hakstol which was beyond fathomable with how the Flyers were responding to him, the other reason why hextall was fired was because he didn’t want to bring up some of the young guys because he didn’t believe they were ready and it would hurt their development. He’s looking like he was spot on with that assessment as the Flyers wanted to bring them up. 

• Like 1

Laczynski has actually been playing well, and should have been called up before bunnaman or twarynski. This doesn't move the needle in any direction but at least laczynski earned it. Seems like the other two got the call just cause they've done it before. Sandin can't be worse than braun or gus 

Phillies and flyers play back to back today, so I should be drunk enough by the flyers game to make it hurt less

6 minutes ago, devpool said:

Phillies and flyers play back to back today, so I should be drunk enough by the flyers game to make it hurt less

Flyers schedule the next week before the trade deadline and even right after is brutal @ islanders today, Monday at bruins, Tuesday vs. bruins, Thursday at islanders, Saturday vs. bruins, sunday vs buffalo, 4/13 at capitals, 4/15 at penguins and 4/17 vs capitals 

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Flyers schedule the next week before the trade deadline and even right after is brutal @ islanders today, Monday at bruins, Tuesday vs. bruins, Thursday at islanders, Saturday vs. bruins, sunday vs buffalo, 4/13 at capitals, 4/15 at penguins and 4/17 vs capitals 

The COVID pause really made this schedule a mess. Even without the pause it was a lot of hockey in a short time.

I've actually started thinking that they won't do anything at the deadline. Maybe a one for one of some AHLers or something, if they do anything. They're probably going to chalk this season up to covid and a horrible schedule, which every team has had to deal with but we also have a really young team playing with no practice time in the hardest division and isn't ready for this kind of grind. 

That said, I hope they do try to ship JvR out just because I doubt his value gets any higher than it is right now. But as is the case for pretty much any big trade right now it's unlikely because of the flat cap. There are the rumors they're looking for backup goaltending because they don't believe elliot will be back after this season, so maybe we get another older veteran for an AHLer.

11 minutes ago, devpool said:

The COVID pause really made this schedule a mess. Even without the pause it was a lot of hockey in a short time.

I've actually started thinking that they won't do anything at the deadline. Maybe a one for one of some AHLers or something, if they do anything. They're probably going to chalk this season up to covid and a horrible schedule, which every team has had to deal with but we also have a really young team playing with no practice time in the hardest division and isn't ready for this kind of grind. 

That said, I hope they do try to ship JvR out just because I doubt his value gets any higher than it is right now. But as is the case for pretty much any big trade right now it's unlikely because of the flat cap. There are the rumors they're looking for backup goaltending because they don't believe elliot will be back after this season, so maybe we get another older veteran for an AHLer.

The schedule was going to suck anyways because you keep playing the same teams over and over and over again and they already know you well as division rivals. So you know everything about you so they’re going to exploit you until you get better at it or you’re just gonna drown. Kind of feels like that’s what happened to the flyers. However I think there’s bigger issues with this team. They need to get rid of some of the veterans who aren’t going to be part of the long-term Stanley Cup contender. I don’t know how they do some of the guys simply due to the flat cap and not worthy of their cap number 

But I still find it hard to believe some contender wouldn’t try to make a big splash to win a cup if the right player even with the cost in the flat cap was available. It’s a risk but it’s also a risk to just assume you will always be in the position to win a Stanley cup. If you believe he puts you over the top I’d still make the move. 

i saw they were interested in Bernier. Talent wise he’s fine but the guy is brittle and he’s always hurt. Feels like that’s a move that’s going to wind up backfiring and you’re going to need to get another back up goalie because he’s unreliable due to health 

25 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The schedule was going to suck anyways because you keep playing the same teams over and over and over again and they already know you well as division rivals. So you know everything about you so they’re going to exploit you until you get better at it or you’re just gonna drown. Kind of feels like that’s what happened to the flyers. However I think there’s bigger issues with this team. They need to get rid of some of the veterans who aren’t going to be part of the long-term Stanley Cup contender. I don’t know how they do some of the guys simply due to the flat cap and not worthy of their cap number 

But I still find it hard to believe some contender wouldn’t try to make a big splash to win a cup if the right player even with the cost in the flat cap was available. It’s a risk but it’s also a risk to just assume you will always be in the position to win a Stanley cup. If you believe he puts you over the top I’d still make the move. 

i saw they were interested in Bernier. Talent wise he’s fine but the guy is brittle and he’s always hurt. Feels like that’s a move that’s going to wind up backfiring and you’re going to need to get another back up goalie because he’s unreliable due to health 

It would be great if a team was willing to take JvR, I haven't really been paying attention to the rest of the league so idk who is in need of that type of player right now.

Next season is likely G's last whether he is traded at the deadline or they don't re-sign him. Voracek is another possible deadline guy next year when there is hopefully a better cap environment. If they're able to clear those 3 contracts (including JvR) they'll be in a really good position as long as the young players can bounce back and prove this was a fluke year.

2 minutes ago, devpool said:

It would be great if a team was willing to take JvR, I haven't really been paying attention to the rest of the league so idk who is in need of that type of player right now.

Next season is likely G's last whether he is traded at the deadline or they don't re-sign him. Voracek is another possible deadline guy next year when there is hopefully a better cap environment. If they're able to clear those 3 contracts (including JvR) they'll be in a really good position as long as the young players can bounce back and prove this was a fluke year.

I feel like JVR has value to a team needing goal scoring. I feel like his resurgence makes him actually appealing. Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville and St. Louis all could use him. None are big markets that hurts. The big market that could use him right now is Boston. i could see a team like Vegas potentially splash to increase their scoring they are currently 8th but in that division they could use more scoring with Colorado leading the NHL

I kind of think you’ll see more moves in the offseason when things begin to get back to normal. I’d deal Giroux, voracek and JVR if i could at the deadline or offseason or next deadline. Get the cap space, prospects and picks and roll with the young kids 

Today needs to spark a turnaround. Remember these same islanders started the season looking like hot garbage then went on a run in March. 

2 big saves by hart after what looked like a forward late getting back to cover for a defenseman

Absolutely unbelievable pass from matt Fing Martin leads to an unstoppable goal on the power play