EMB Blog: 2020 Regular Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And your point? Mine is Doug clearly called this game to lose. Going for it every 4th down instead of tying the game was evidence enough. Benching Hurts was the cherry on top. He would not have done any of that if his job was in jeopardy and this was his showcase to keep it. 

Basically that.  The fact that 11 guys were out basically turned this into a pre-season type game, imo.

• Replies 62.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I was hoping the blog could finish the season with a political debate.

Make the Eagles great again

Dorsey/Brady 2021

111.jpg

Just now, Ace Nova said:

Basically that.  The fact that 11 guys were out basically turned this into a pre-season type game, imo.

So you agree with me that his job is safe and secure?

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And your point? Mine is Doug clearly called this game to lose. Going for it every 4th down instead of tying the game was evidence enough. Benching Hurts was the cherry on top. He would not have done any of that if his job was in jeopardy and this was his showcase to keep it. 

Going for it on fourth and goal was the correct call according to the analytics...

Just now, Sack that QB said:

Make the Eagles great again

Dorsey/Brady 2021

111.jpg

Howie would trade the #6 overall for Tom Brady.

and yea 

image.gif.3aefe3299f3a2d3c617ab21b0f1b59b2.gif

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

So you agree with me that his job is safe and secure?

All reports say it is.  And from my best guess it is. 

The real reason to play Sudfeld is to see him under game pressure, not at the end of a blowout. He's been in the organization too long not to see what he could do in a tough situation - what he showed was why they drafted Hurts, not to replace Wentz, but b/c no one in their right mind would depend on Wentz for 16 games given his track record. Just look at Arizona to see what happens if you don't have a top backup, and now we know Sudfeld was no better. That has more value to the Eagle FO than a meaningless win to help the Giants.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Going for it on fourth and goal was the correct call according to the analytics...

They also could have kicked the FG on 4th and 7 at the 36

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

The real reason to play Sudfeld is to see him under game pressure, not at the end of a blowout. He's been in the organization too long not to see what he could do in a tough situation - what he showed was why they drafted Hurts, not to replace Wentz, but b/c no one in their right mind would depend on Wentz for 16 games given his track record. Just look at Arizona to see what happens if you don't have a top backup, and now we know Sudfeld was no better. That has more value to the Eagle FO than a meaningless win to help the Giants.

Not defending Sudfeld but how can you evaluate any QB in this offense with all the injuries and guys that didnt play tonight?

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That would make sense in any other year other than the one you publicly say he won’t be back next year + every other fact heading into this game 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Not sure it's an accurate measure for sudfield playing behind and O line of street free agents throwing to JJAW...

Just now, 315Eagles said:

Not defending Sudfeld but how can you evaluate any QB in this offense with all the injuries and guys that didnt play tonight?

You can see how he looks under pressure, not stats but whether he's cool under pressure and makes good decisions. Sudfeld showed he couldn't rise to the moment.

It's not a matter of an 80 yard game winning drive under impossible odds, it's watching a guy move out of a clean pocket b/c he panics and forces throws. Yes, it was a tough situation, but that's why it was so valuable in evaluation. Hurtz didn't put up good numbers but was cool under pressure and in control, Sudfeld has too much NFL experience to blame it on inexperience - ask Kurt Warner, he's just not good enough. Now they know for certain, had he come in behind 20 points against a soft prevent defense, they'd have learned nothing.

5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think it was more of injury protection for Wentz and Hurts. This OL was makeshift and Pryor was going against Chase Young. I wanted the Eagles to run the ball 40 times tonight to save Hurts from hits.  They put Sudfeld in there to help reduce playing time for Hurts and Wentz and to reduce chance of injury to them. 

50 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'll co-sign.

I felt that way about Smith initially, but he made me a believer. Kids gonna be special. 

56 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Has to know that could be his last game in green. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Sigh...

Oh boy, I hope he's not soaking it in because he's retiring 

2017 is over. Now it's backward, into the future.

#6, #38, #70. And a lot of young players got PT this year.

Herbig looked pretty solid, as did Epps and Wallace. Edwards and Singleton at LB. Hargrave at DT.

On the other hand, Pryor at LT/RT, NO. Toth, give him a year, he never pass blocked at Army.

Watkins and Reagor got open, Reagor should have made that deep catch, but it was a tough play. JJAW looked like the tough possession WR he was supposed to be.

Scott ran hard, he's good depth.

25 minutes ago, austinfan said:

This.  I've been saying this all year. 

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The irony of course if we don't draft Hurts, Sudfeld plays the last couple games.

We wouldn’t have benched Wentz for Sudfeld. 

Closing this up in a few.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

We wouldn’t have benched Wentz for Sudfeld. 

We would have once we were eliminated. Why risk your franchise QB when you can evaluate your backup?

Archived