Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

15 hours ago, psychodog said:

In all fairness, this is a ridiculous statement to make.  The guy was a rookie and you are saying he won't be a better player than 2019 Wentz and his ceiling is low?  Not all rookies are going to look like Justin Herbert.

Pretty dumb to write the kid off already. McNabb as a rookie was worse, and played in more games. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The reports that the team wanted to move on to Hurts as the starter have to be nonsense, have to be, because if they were true then Howie surviving last season as the guy who drafted Wentz and drew up his millstone of a contract extension is unforgivably negligent stupidity.

Howie blew this in my opinion no matter how you look at it. If they wanted to go with Hurts then why give Wentz the contract? They had another year to decide, but the rushed in making that deal when they didn’t have to. If Hurts was just going to be a backup then why waste a second round pick on a backup quarterback on a team with so many clear holes? Howie also knew how the presence of Foles allegedly had an effect on Wentz so why do it to him again? Man to me Howie bungled all of this so bad, and he should have been gone before Wentz or Doug. He definitely shouldn’t have been the one responsible for making these decisions as he’s the one who created this mess to begin with. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Or maybe Howie needs to realise that his asset isn't worth what he thought. That teams aren't necessarily going to give Howie what he wants for a player who's future is unknown. Ballard I think is being smart. They want Wentz but they aren't willing to overpay for him. Because if they do and Wentz doesn't turn things around drastically then at least they didn't give up too much for him. 

The Eagles have very little leverage here. Wentz wants out but Wentz is also coming off of a down year where he was the worst QB in the league and got benched. And teams know that the Eagles want to move on and need to before that contract kicks in.

At this point I think Howie is taking a gamble and hoping someone steps in here to give him an offer he can’t refuse. It seemed like for the past couple of seasons we have read the Eagles were in on a player until some mystery team steps up and makes a deal the Eagles won’t match. I think Howie is now playing the odds and hoping someone does it now. There are a lot of quarterbacks available right now allegedly so I think a lot of teams are sitting around and gauging the market. When the Eagles didn’t pull the trigger on the Bears offer I think it has put them in a holding pattern. They are hoping someone steps in that Carson doesn’t mind playing for (allegedly he doesn’t want to play for the Bears) so the Eagles can truly leverage that team against the Colts. It’s all a huge gamble now, but if Howie bungles this and brings both of these players back I feel sorry for this head coach having to deal with Howie’s crap sandwich this early in his career. 

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The reports that the team wanted to move on to Hurts as the starter have to be nonsense, have to be, because if they were true then Howie surviving last season as the guy who drafted Wentz and drew up his millstone of a contract extension is unforgivably negligent stupidity.

Howie is here until the team has multiple top 10 draft pick seasons. Not even convinced he’ll be gone if they win 3 games next season, it’ll be seen as a "rebuilding” year where they don’t expect to win. They need to be bad in both 2021 and 2022 for Howie to get canned, IMO. I can’t explain why, but the guy just doesn’t get held accountable. Ever. 

Seems to be a lot of thought going into a trade package that includes Ertz to sweeten a deal to send Wentz to Indy to get that 2021 1st.  I have a better idea ... since they have an obvious need at LT (after Castanzo announced his retirement), why not package Dillard along with Wentz instead?  It would basically be giving us mid 2nd round value for Dillard.  

Colts get: Wentz + Dillard

Eagles get: 2021 1st + 2021 4th + 2022 (conditional) 2nd

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Howie is here until the team has multiple top 10 draft pick seasons. Not even convinced he’ll be gone if they win 3 games next season, it’ll be seen as a "rebuilding” year where they don’t expect to win. They need to be bad in both 2021 and 2022 for Howie to get canned, IMO. I can’t explain why, but the guy just doesn’t get held accountable. Ever. 

It's not his fault. Another team picked his guys before us.

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Colts get: Wentz + Dillard

Eagles get: 2021 1st + 2021 4th + 2022 (conditional) 2nd

I think the longer this goes on, the less return the Eagles are likely to get from any deal...

As it sounds like the Bears are basically out of the mix now, then unless another team gets on board (and surely if there were other interested parties, they would be in the mix by now), it only leaves the Colts as the sole interested team for Wentz...which basically equals "this is our offer, take it or leave it" to Howie...

And as we get closer and closer to Wentz's $10m payday next month, that offer from the Colts could well reduce, or maybe they might even demand a player be thrown in the mix "for free" to make a deal...(Dillard? Ertz?)

With only one team as a possible landing spot, Howie has basically zero leverage in these negotiations. Howie has basically 3 choices...a) accept the Colts offer (because there is absolutely no reason for the Colts to improve their offer), b) keep Wentz, and see what happens (though that sounds like a train wreck situation), or c) release Wentz (and get nothing for him)

Could Howie hold onto Wentz after March 20th and take the extra $10-15m cap hit on the chance that maybe another team gets involved? Possibly, but does it make any sense at all? Who knows, but whatever, it is a real mess, and the Eagles might well be better off simply putting this all to bed and concentrate on their team that they will have in 2021, and just taking the current offer from the Colts, and drawing a line under everything and moving on with preparing for the draft and the '21 season...

But no matter what happens, no-one is going to come out of this looking good...I think it's time to call it a day.

I was just looking at the Eagles cap situation,  it looks like the Eagles will actually be better off if they trade him post June 1st. It looks like $25m in cap savings and only $9m in dead money.

If this is correct,  the Eagles are better off waiting. Take a future pick.

Screenshot_20210218-093310_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, PhillyRockd said:

I was just looking at the Eagles cap situation,  it looks like the Eagles will actually be better off if they trade him post June 1st. It looks like $25m in cap savings and only $9m in dead money.

If this is correct,  the Eagles are better off waiting. Take a future pick.

Screenshot_20210218-093310_Chrome.jpg

You are then carrying around $25 million in dead money next year if you do that. You are basically borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Their best option is to trade him as soon as the season opens. While it is easy to say that the Eagles are screwed in the negotiations, who the hell really knows.

Yes, whatever the outcome, if Wentz goes somewhere, I think the best thing to do is get his money completely off the books in 2021, so that we start totally afresh in 2022...

9 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I think the longer this goes on, the less return the Eagles are likely to get from any deal...

As it sounds like the Bears are basically out of the mix now, then unless another team gets on board (and surely if there were other interested parties, they would be in the mix by now), it only leaves the Colts as the sole interested team for Wentz...which basically equals "this is our offer, take it or leave it" to Howie...

And as we get closer and closer to Wentz's $10m payday next month, that offer from the Colts could well reduce, or maybe they might even demand a player be thrown in the mix "for free" to make a deal...(Dillard? Ertz?)

With only one team as a possible landing spot, Howie has basically zero leverage in these negotiations. Howie has basically 3 choices...a) accept the Colts offer (because there is absolutely no reason for the Colts to improve their offer), b) keep Wentz, and see what happens (though that sounds like a train wreck situation), or c) release Wentz (and get nothing for him)

Could Howie hold onto Wentz after March 20th and take the extra $10-15m cap hit on the chance that maybe another team gets involved? Possibly, but does it make any sense at all? Who knows, but whatever, it is a real mess, and the Eagles might well be better off simply putting this all to bed and concentrate on their team that they will have in 2021, and just taking the current offer from the Colts, and drawing a line under everything and moving on with preparing for the draft and the '21 season...

But no matter what happens, no-one is going to come out of this looking good...I think it's time to call it a day.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I have been wondering if Howie might be considering going that last route in paying his $10M roster bonus next month and holding on to him longer out of desperation hoping a contending team suffers a freak TC injury and tries to take advantage (in much the same way he did with Minnesota with that Bradford deal).  

2 hours ago, nipples said:

We all need to find a way to sneak Howie on a SpaceX rocket to ship his ass to the ISS. 

Or is that a tad too extreme? 🤔

27 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

You are then carrying around $25 million in dead money next year if you do that. You are basically borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Their best option is to trade him as soon as the season opens. While it is easy to say that the Eagles are screwed in the negotiations, who the hell really knows.

This.  I'd sooner try to cut our losses completely this year - take all of our lumps in what is almost certainly going to be a bad year to be in better shape with the extra cap space next year and hope we can use it wisely to add some much needed pieces to become contenders sooner.  

I am still under the belief that the Eagles will get a 1st for Wentz. Howie should not make a deal if that is not part of an offer. No need for additional picks or players, he just needs to get a 1st. But I don't blame him for trying to milk this. Eagles are in no rush.

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

This.  I'd sooner try to cut our losses completely this year - take all of our lumps in what is almost certainly going to be a bad year to be in better shape with the extra cap space next year and hope we can use it wisely to add some much needed pieces to become contenders sooner.  

I understand this point and somewhat agree. But if you don't get anything good in return, it's better to keep him. Why? I assume the cap will have a huge jump next offseason. If the pandemic is finally over (and we all hope that), all stadiums will be full again and ratings will be back to normal. So, if there's a good time to have 25 million in dead money, it's next offseason, not this one. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Or maybe Howie needs to realise that his asset isn't worth what he thought.

I said way back when, if all you can get is a 3rd take it and be happy.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

Agreed.  I didn't consider that. 

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Ding.  Correct.

Howie has been wrong about Wentz every step of the way up to and including drafting his highly pedigreed replacement right after giving Wentz that contract.  Now they have to start over? Are you kidding me?

Archived