Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I respect your opinion and I don't think it is wrong. My argument is that Howie and Doug essentially bet their jobs on Wentz after trading the ranch for him and giving him over $100M. To bench him, is admitting you were wrong and usually when you are wrong like this, it will cost you your job. 

Right, but I’m saying the writing is on the wall with Wentz and it doesn’t look good. To me the only way they salvage their jobs is to make up for that blunder by hitting it big with Hurts. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear to me that when the FO decided to drafted Hurts, it seriously damaged Wentz's psyche. Permanent damage. When the Eagle leadership let him know he wasn't necessarily the man anymore, he lost it and can't get it back. I think he could get it back, just maybe not in Philly. I'm not letting Wentz off the hook here by blaming the FO. Wentz should have been able to rise to the occasion and keep the threat to his job on the bench by playing lights out ball. He hasn't. Sure, his O line sucks, he has practice squad WR's, etc, etc, etc, but I think he is very sensitive and that Hurts draft move did permanent damage to him mentally. I blame the FO for wasting a second round pick that sits on the bench as well as hurt their franchise QB's confidence, and I blame Wentz for letting it get to him so badly. What a freekin mess.

10 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Yes and again the poor play of his OL has handed him yet another injury last night.

He got slammed to the ground and was in obvious pain. But the book on him will always read the same:

is capable of great play but is inconsistent. yeahokfinewhatever 

Should be the motto of every Eagles quarterback since Jaws. 

10 hours ago, nipples said:

Right, but I’m saying the writing is on the wall with Wentz and it doesn’t look good. To me the only way they salvage their jobs is to make up for that blunder by hitting it big with Hurts. 

Fair enough. I agree, but we all know that won't happen because they are so damn hard headed

11 hours ago, nipples said:

Agreed here. The way things are going Doug is absolutely going to lose his job, be it this year or next. So why not try something else? Howie drafted Hurts so it doesn't look good on him that he used a second round pick on this guy who doesn't play despite the starter playing so badly. 

We can try and recover some loss with the Wentz investment, but right now he needs to regroup and relearn, maybe observe. Meanwhile we shouldn't compound the problem by not playing Hurts. He should be good enough for us to either recover our investment or actually have him as the starter. But in order to do either HE HAS TO PLAY.

8 minutes ago, macgregor said:

We can try and recover some loss with the Wentz investment, but right now he needs to regroup and relearn, maybe observe. Meanwhile we shouldn't compound the problem by not playing Hurts. He should be good enough for us to either recover our investment or actually have him as the starter. But in order to do either HE HAS TO PLAY.

Agreed. I really do think the time has now come. Through 9 games Carson has been way below average. That's the truth of it and so I really don't know why they wouldn't see what they've got in Hurts. If it doesn't work what exactly have they lost?

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I really do think the time has now come. Through 9 games Carson has been way below average. That's the truth of it and so I really don't know why they wouldn't see what they've got in Hurts. If it doesn't work what exactly have they lost?

And the worst thing we could do is suggest to our players/staff  that we can throw out this season as another head-scratching clunker. That we're ok being .250. This is the NFL. Losing is not acceptable for any reason. If we're losing with any consistency, things have to demonstrate if not improvement, change. That's where I think Lurie is.

Personally I think Doug's vibe being we're ok just means that the change now is most likely to be HIM.

1 hour ago, macgregor said:

100 % this 

14 hours ago, Talonblood said:

It's clear to me that when the FO decided to drafted Hurts, it seriously damaged Wentz's psyche. Permanent damage. When the Eagle leadership let him know he wasn't necessarily the man anymore, he lost it and can't get it back. I think he could get it back, just maybe not in Philly. I'm not letting Wentz off the hook here by blaming the FO. Wentz should have been able to rise to the occasion and keep the threat to his job on the bench by playing lights out ball. He hasn't. Sure, his O line sucks, he has practice squad WR's, etc, etc, etc, but I think he is very sensitive and that Hurts draft move did permanent damage to him mentally. I blame the FO for wasting a second round pick that sits on the bench as well as hurt their franchise QB's confidence, and I blame Wentz for letting it get to him so badly. What a freekin mess.

I didn’t like the Hurts pick, we needed help on D.

But it should have lit a fire under Wentz, not caused him to turn into a bottom 5 QB, so I can’t blame FO for that.

As you say a franchise QB should be able to handle it. Look how Rodgers is playing. 

2 hours ago, macgregor said:

And the worst thing we could do is suggest to our players/staff  that we can throw out this season as another head-scratching clunker. That we're ok being .250. This is the NFL. Losing is not acceptable for any reason. If we're losing with any consistency, things have to demonstrate if not improvement, change. That's where I think Lurie is.

I can't imagine Lurie is a very happy man right now but hey I guess we don't know what he's thinking. But right now this team is flat out bad and something needs to change. 

Can Doug turn things around? I think there's a chance of that. Can Carson? I think he can although I don't think it is likely with either. But we know these guys can be better because they have been better. But things need to change quickly otherwise changes probably will be made. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't imagine Lurie is a very happy man right now but hey I guess we don't know what he's thinking. But right now this team is flat out bad and something needs to change. 

Can Doug turn things around? I think there's a chance of that. Can Carson? I think he can although I don't think it is likely with either. But we know these guys can be better because they have been better. But things need to change quickly otherwise changes probably will be made. 

I think they will likely at some point both be good again. From where Carson is right now, he needs at least a year or 2 before he'll conquer his demons. he'll likely remain an Eagle for at least 3 years minus a trade so, hopefully next season. DP needs at least that. Change of scenery can do wonderful things as well for him. I just don't see him or Schwartz coming back next season.  

16 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason for his play.  He struggled and looked off mentally in previous seasons too.  And this year he actually comes across as cocky, for example saying he will not change his style of play and he will always be aggressive.  But before Hurts he's faced things to affect his psyche as well.

• Watched Foles take over in 2017 and win a SB and MVP
  • Thought 2018 was his turn, he got hurt again and once again watched Foles take over, and win a playoff game
  • Played his best football with Reich and Flip coaching him, his numbers and record are average since they left
  • Hesitant after injuries the last few years. A few weeks into this season, got more comfortable to run more

This erratic, up and down performance, hero ball, forcing things, etc. has been there before.  2018 people blamed his injury recover.  2019 blamed injuries to playmakers.  This year blaming coaching, injuries, COVID, play calling...

When he came out of college, so many people said he was very intelligent and mature, that he was so smart he'd be like the next Peyton Manning with pre-snap reads and calling his own plays from the line and that he was mature beyond his years.  We haven't seen that. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:
  • Played his best football with Reich and Flip coaching him, his numbers and record are average since they left

17-18-1 since 2018 is piss poor for a 100+ million dollar QB with 107 million guaranteed, you could get an UDFA to perform that well.

17/17/1 since the magical year of 2017. That Carson's record. He's hero Favre, Carson's hero, said eagles should have kept Files in an interview last week.

Every QB we have faced has outshined Carson. Doug went from big balls doug (from 2017 playoff success) to a giant vag because he has no balls to bench his guy.

So the NFL Network saying Carson is lazy and sloppy at practice. It just seems like everything is coming out now. 

9 hours ago, macgregor said:

I think they will likely at some point both be good again. From where Carson is right now, he needs at least a year or 2 before he'll conquer his demons. he'll likely remain an Eagle for at least 3 years minus a trade so, hopefully next season. DP needs at least that. Change of scenery can do wonderful things as well for him. I just don't see him or Schwartz coming back next season.  

49ers to trade for Wentz? There's no way I see that happening. I think they'll stick with Jimmy G won't they? Although I guess he does keep getting hurt so perhaps they are considering the future. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So the NFL Network saying Carson is lazy and sloppy at practice. It just seems like everything is coming out now. 

Get this loser off the the team. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I see you are a Wentz fan then...

I'm not a fan of piss poor QB play. 

Lazy and Sloppy practices.  Not a surprise. The guy has  basically shown he's unwilling to learn and the locker room rumblings we've been hearing  kind of reinforce that.  

40 minutes ago, Swimm said:

Get this loser off the the team. 

Apparently Brandon Graham is flat out saying the whole team is practicing sloppy. I guess that’s how things go when a team lacks leadership and accountability. 

1 hour ago, Swimm said:

I'm not a fan of piss poor QB play. 

Lazy and Sloppy practices.  Not a surprise. The guy has  basically shown he's unwilling to learn and the locker room rumblings we've been hearing  kind of reinforce that.  

I mean look... I'm off the Wentz train and my mind right now is that he's not going to be an elite QB. He may turn it around and become a good QB but I don't see him becoming a top 10 QB but I guess we shall see. 

What we don't know is what goes on during practice and in the QB room. We can guess. We can assume or read between the lines but we don't truly know. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Apparently Brandon Graham is flat out saying the whole team is practicing sloppy. I guess that’s how things go when a team lacks leadership and accountability. 

That’s not shocking. The whole team is sloppy. 

Archived